Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper Timing Belt Problem

quimozabiquimozabi Member Posts: 1
I change the Water pump of a 1995 Isuzu trooper and I change the Timing Belt wrong. I know it for the strange sound that it makes in the engine.

Do the valves of this SUV get damage?

How can I change It?

Can I find the user manual of this SUV some where?

Comments

• trooperguy2trooperguy2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 trooper w/ 80000mi., guess I need to repl. belt. can it be done by the home mechanic? does this engine have an interference engine? 3.5 liter. Water pump have to come off when doing? trooper guy2
  • trooperman2010trooperman2010 Member Posts: 1
    hello im currentlly restoreing a 92 trooper and have the timing belt in view its definetly a oneday job if you want it done right and i definetly recommend takeing the radiator out first it gives you tons of room and its not that difficult to do as to the valves.. it can damage them depending on how far off the timing is but i think its safe to assume your ok because it wouldnt run if its to far off. manuels are semi ok to find i bought and recommend a chiltons manuel at advanced auto parts... Good luck
  • trooperguy2trooperguy2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks quimozabi, when doing the timing belt, does replacing the water pump at the same time make sense? I was told this on my Isuzu P'UP '93 that I had. Had it done too when having the belt repl. But checking the owners manual, it says the timing belt should be done at 100K miles. Mine is at 80K, and thefactory had the engins repl. when the truck was 1 yr. old. approx. 12000 mi. So I guess I have a few years to go before I get to 100K, but notice the warrenty, which is out of date now, required to change at 60K. Big difference. I think I will do myself in a couple of years.Will take your advise, get a real manual, Chiltons. Good luck with the rebuild, trooperguy 2
  • shonie65shonie65 Member Posts: 2
    i have an m reg isuzu trooper duty 3.1 and the red light on my dash is on which says t belt!
    what do i have to do dont have a clue about cars and sick and tired of being conned at the garages!!!!!!!
  • greasemonkey27greasemonkey27 Member Posts: 1
    If t-belt light is on, then you definitely need to change it. If you look in your service pack you will find that t-belt change also time sensitive. Sounds like yours is well overdue.
  • changus02changus02 Member Posts: 1
    I recently rebuilt the engine on my 1998 trooper and am 99.9% positive I have the timing belt in the right position. I have no power and backfire when i push the throttle until about 2000 RPM. any suggestions?
  • wboomer61wboomer61 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 94 Trooper 3.2. Changing the timing belt. Cannot get the crankshaft pully bolt to break loose. Any advise/ Help! Also is it possible that the belt slipping has bent the valves? The truck would not start.
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    I have the same model, DOHC. The bolt is a bear to loosen. I use an impact but I had to remove the radiator to use it. I have since seen where if you CAREFULLY use a long breaker bar and wedge it against the frame or other hard point and then quickly bump the starter it will break the bolt loose. I suggest unplugging the connectors to the coil packs in order to assure the engine does not start. I have seen this done but not on an Isuzu, but I see no reason it would not work, as it is a right hand threaded bolt. Also, the harmonic balancer is a slip fit so it will usually come right off if you are careful to use a remover or carefully apply even pressure to it on opposite sides. Good luck

This engine is a non interference engine, according to the experts. There is a warning in the manuals, but I am pretty confident that you should not have any damage unless you really over revved it or drove it a long time with it mis timed, .....which usually cannot be done as the engine will run poorly if at all.
    One guys opinion.
  • hermanceusmchermanceusmc Member Posts: 4
    I am in the middle of changing the timing belt on my 02 trooper. I cannot get the serpentine belt tensioner off to get to the timing belt cover. I have taken all bolts out but there either is a dowel pin or another bolt inside the tensioner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • geronimeauxgeronimeaux Member Posts: 3
    My '95 Trooper quit running. It turns over and tries to start but it's as if it's not firing. I assumed it to be the timing belt needs replacing. Anyway, I started pulling spark plug wires to take out the plugs as the Chilton suggested and when I got to #3 plug the wrench came back drenched in oil. What's the significance?
  • chaisonchaison Member Posts: 1
    well You need a long !/2" drive Breaker bar or at least a 24" craftsmen (strong one) and a pipe over it for leverage(mayb). I have a 32" I got from harbor freight. Use a small socket not a long deep one. Use a 14" pipe wrench tighten it up top lip inside of
    pulley bottom lip tight against outside of pulley lodge other end against frame or something very solid and pull lefty loosey righty tighty
  • egyptgerryegyptgerry Member Posts: 22
    changed the cam belt but how do you turn off the warning light on the dashboard
  • brentb1brentb1 Member Posts: 18
    you need new grommets that go in the under side of the valve cover.that will stop the oil getting into the tubes
  • valentiusvalentius Member Posts: 1
    That is due to bad spark plugs or cables, or maybe the O2 sensor too.
    Regards,
  • 97trooper97trooper Member Posts: 1
    Have a 3.2 L DOHC motor in a 97 isuzu trooper. My timing belt has gone out and I am looking to replace it. I am wondering if this motor is an interference motor, an if I could have incured damge to my valves etc when the belt failed. I am torn between replacing the belt or removing the heads to see what, if any, damage their might be. any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • suncloud00suncloud00 Member Posts: 4
    Pull the head and check. Nothing like replacing the belt to find that valve damage has been incurred.
  • dan_martindan_martin Member Posts: 1
    There are 2 bolts hiding behind the tensioner housing the spring
  • mtdelphiamtdelphia Member Posts: 12
    If you haven't already done it, there is a slide switch on the back of the instrument cluster. Push it to the opposite position. You alternate it each time a change is due.
  • troop95troop95 Member Posts: 1
    Take out cylinder #1 plug and turn motor to 90 degrees (or more) past TDC.
    get a few feet of 1/4 to 3/8 nylon line (or rope) and feed it into the cylinder through the plug hole until you have a hand full in the cylinder. When you un screw the bolt the valves will close and the rope will compress in the cylinder stopping the piston.
    You may need a length of pipe to extend your breaker bar to make it easier on your back. I have used this trick a hundred times and have never bent a valve or piston rod.
    To tighten the bolt remove the rope, move piston to 90 deg. BTDC and reinsert the rope. Hope this helps someone! Cheers.
  • bigd111bigd111 Member Posts: 3
    Pretty in depth for a shade tree and you dont have to remove the pump. It is interference.
  • kisstheringbkisstheringb Member Posts: 1
    No, Well I dont think so. I think the Engine is whats called Non Interferance. My belt broke on me, same engine in my 95 Troop 3.2 DOHC as you have. although I was not driving the truck at the time the belt broke. I was getting off work and went to start the truck and thats when mine broke.
  • jkenworthyjkenworthy Member Posts: 1
    How do you realign the cam sprockets after they have spun out of sequence?
    what are the marks on the cam shafts, and how are they aligned?
  • lemon19lemon19 Member Posts: 8
    I change out the engine on my 2000 trooper 3.5L and decided to change the water pump and timing belt. After installing the engine, the car run loud and seems to be misfiring. I found out that only the right head bank is working, because when i pull the coil for plugs either 2,4,6 the car doesn't stall or at like its about to choke. If i pull the plug for 1,3,5 it dies right away. I'm pretty sure my timing is right.. Need help bad....
  • jclovegrenjclovegren Member Posts: 1
    On a 1992 Trooper 3.2L SOHC (Vin V), Several issues:

1) I cannot find a cam sprocket alignment mark on the passenger's side. The driver's side sprocket has a line stamped in the rim of the sprocket and another on the "front plate". The two cam sprockets are quite different. The passenger side has two notches 180 deg apart. One of them lines up approx where the SOHC diagram says. But I can't find any mark/dot/dimple on the front plate. Someone did scribe a mark on the front plate and painted a mark on the sprocket.

2) There are clear marks on the drivers side cam sprocket, but they are not where the SOHC diagrams indicate. The driver's side is closer to where the DOHC marks are located.

3) The cam sprocket marks are way off (~90 deg) if the crank sprocket has the keyway/notch at 3 o'clock lined up with the mark on the oil pimp. But, I did find a reference in the Chilton's manual on the '96 3.2L which says "verify that the pointer on the crankshaft aligns mark with the mark on the lower timing cover". I take that to mean 0 deg on the timing scale on the t-belt cover. My marks line up if the crank is in that position. (Interestingly, the "to install" procedure says align the crank sprocket with the oil pump marks. Re-assembly should be the reverse of disassembly.)

I just want to be sure I've got things in the right position for installing a new belt. The homemade mark on the passenger-side sprocket is one notch off from the others.

Is there any way to be certain of the passenger-side cam sprocket without having to pull the valve cover?

Thanks,

jon
  • speedrover2speedrover2 Member Posts: 11
    My Trooper is the same year with apparent TBelt issues too. 86k miles I've checked everything but the TBelt. Any suggestions before I take the plunge?
  • lostedlosted Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to re-time this engine after the timing is lost? I have this Paris Dakar edition trooper and it got a water leak under the intake manifold from a old oil ring on a water tub. So, since the engine was torn down as much as it was I thought I should change the timing belt. Well, the time got off when it was put back together and did not start. I was told it skipped a tooth and the timing chains were too loose. So I bought new timing changes and tensioners. everything is back together excepted putting back on the timing belt. I need help in getting the cams in the right position to the crank. I found alot of info on newer engines but not the one I have. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Herman.
  • wolffarmerwolffarmer Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2014

To remove the Serpentine belt tensioner. Looking at the thing from the front there is a bolt 45 degrees up and to the left of the center pivot of the tensioner. 12mm socket gets it. Then need an 8 mm Allen wrench. Not sure what they are called now. And unscrew the center bolt and the tensioner comes right off. Only took me about 3 hours to figure this out, Feared that center bolt would take the tensioner itself apart but it is ok. Now to figure out the power steering pump so it goes back together easier.