Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited June 2014

@stever said:

Guess I'd better beware those Samsung phones and iPads Wally sells. B)

As for phones, I'm into Net10 and Tracfones--it's all we can afford and
    they're much more practical for our level of need. The Walmart phones sometimes
    include memory cards and car cords that aren't in the same phone marketed by Tracfone/Net10
    on their own site.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

@explorerx4 - I hear Madison is a great town. Several of my friends who are Electronic Medical Record consultants started their careers at Epic and "lived" in Madison for a number of years.

I say "lived" because they all spent substantial amounts of time on the road as part of implementation teams.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

imidazol97, PagePlus prepaid here. $10 every three months and we usually roll over some minutes. :-) But you get my drift.

We lived in Madtown for ~6 months back in the early 80s and have been back several times in the three years that we've lived in the UP. Nice town, nice neighborhoods and parks. Lots of canoes. Hit six or eight dealers there a couple of months ago and most all were pretty good.

The Subaru dealer there was the only one that was a bit, er, dubious to deal with. Kia was the best about being upfront but tested us in a low end trim. I liked the VW guy a lot but we made my wife antsy after he and I got into a long discussion about Bus history, a 4WD conversion outfit in California that they keep brochures around for, and the reason why the concept microbus didn't fly (MSRP reportedly would have been $40,000 to pay for the crash/safety stuff in order to sell it here).

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

ROLLS ROYCE COUPE?

Dad and I went to the Boca Raton Town Center for our daily walk. As we passed by the Rolls and Bentley exhibit, I noticed there was a new Rolls Royce Coupe sitting where the Ghost used to sit. I walked over and saw the pricing - $369,000.00. The doors opened by front out first, not rear as you would expect. The color was Brown quarter panels and Beige hood and trunk and Brown cabin top and medium beige leather seating. IT WAS EXQUISITE! I have never, ever seen a more beautiful car. There were at least 20 people walking around it and remember, the mall stores are closed until noon and we were there at 10:00 AM.

It was a breathtaking automobile. I did not see any insignias on the car to show the model, so I assumed it was a Corniche or some special edition Ghost in a coupe. $369,000 is a bit low for a Corniche or a Phantom - they retail in the $450,000 - $500,000 range.

When I got home, I looked it up on Edmunds to find out the model. It's called the "Wraith" and pricing starts ar $289,000. So the one they were showing at the mall ($369,000) was obviously LOADED, LOADED, LOADED!

I can't tell you how beautiful that car is in words - you really have to see it and examine it's stance and lines to truly appreciate the elegance and styling. So much nicer than the Bentley coupe.

My guess is that you would have to pay a bit more than MSRP to get the one they were exhibiting only because there is almost a 1 year wait if you order one. And then, you have to add the Luxury Tax and Gas Guzzler Tax. Again, all I can say is "breathtaking!"

2021 Genesis G90

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Our parts department had a Fram filter cut in half sideways along with a Honda OEM oil filter.

If you saw the differences, you would NEVER use a Fram filter!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

It's the media - how many times have you read about a bypass valve failing? Ever?

Now compare those numbers to the number of Honda oil filter gaskets that stuck to the block LOL.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256

@28firefighter‌ Guess where my daughter is going to be working? :)

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Our parts department had a Fram filter cut in half sideways along with a Honda OEM oil filter.

I’m not at all certain that I could tell which oil filter was better by simple visual examination of a cross section. To most people, shinier, brighter objects are perceived to be “better” or “more desireable”.

It's the media - how many times have you read about a bypass valve failing? Ever?

Now compare those numbers to the number of Honda oil filter gaskets that stuck to the block LOL.

Ahh, now this I can relate to. I have personally known of several engines that were destroyed by this exact problem. None of them happened to be a Honda, so definitely not unique to Honda’s.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

Going back many years, I remember all of the hoopla about Fram filters being junk. As I recall, the only real problems ever encountered with Fram filters were that some models which should have had an anti drain back valve, did not. This could cause lifter rattle on cold start (and quite possibly more wear on the lower end of the engine).

I’m fairly certain that this problem was corrected many years ago. I will admit to a certain lingering prejudice against Fram, and for OEM oil filters.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@isellhondas said:

They may be decen't filters- who knows? But like I said, for I'm not risking it to save less than $5...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The Fram filter looked like it was made in some third world country. The metal was thin and flimsy.

As far as filter gaskets sticking to the block, I've only heard of this problem on 2nd generation CRV's. Honda (and others) had to redesign the filters so the gasket couldn't stick to the block.

I guess they didn't realize how careless people changing oil can be. As a very young person working in a gas station one of the first things I learned was to make sure the old gasket didn't stick to the block and they often did.

You can't cure "dumb" I suppose.

As I said, were you to examine the differences between those two filters there is no way you would use a Fram filter.

But, I suppose if you change your oil as often as I do, it probably wouldn't matter.

But, I suppose if you change your oil as often as I do, it probably wouldn't matter.

I just recently (about 6 years ago) went from 3k oil changes to 5k oil changes. My father would have given me a world of grief about that!

I guess they didn't realize how careless people changing oil can be. As a very young person working in a gas station one of the first things I learned was to make sure the old gasket didn't stick to the block and they often did.

I was taught to always rub oil on the gasket before installing the filter. This was supposed to keep the gasket from sticking to the block, but I'm not sure if that really worked.

Getting back to buying and selling cars.

I am looking for a cheap transportation car for a very nice 73 year old woman that is a volunteer (like me) at our local Food Bank. She is fighting bone cancer, lost her husband to cancer along with her life savings and home paying medical bills.

She has no money so we are paying. trying to find a 2000.00 car and it is TOUGH.

Craigslist is dominated by flakes, strokes, curbstoners, scam artists, people that don't speak English, people who won't return calls etc.

She will probably drive it 2000 miles a year but it should be something reliable.

The cars that are good ones get snapped up immediately.

Still looking....

@abacomike said:

>

When my car goes into Mercedes in November, I too insist on OEM filters as well as other parts. I believe Mercedes uses a Mobil 1 oil that is specifically designed for use in their vehicles.

They are using Mobil 1 0W-40; it meets MB-Approval 229.3 as well as MB-Approval 229.5. It also has other builders approvals:
    BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01, VW 502 00, VW 505 00, and Porsche A40.
    Castrol and Pennzoil also market oils with similar approvals.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    edited June 2014

@explorerx4 She is in for some real fun - lots of young people, a beautiful campus, and an industry that is exploding. The only downside is that when she is ready to stop working at Epic, they strongly enforce a 1 year non-compete.

All of my friends took that year off to go travel, and then came back and picked up where they left off in consulting roles. Tell her to join every hotel and airline loyalty program she travels with - the points add up quickly with the amount Epic folks travel.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564

@imidazol97 said:
    ....Trac phones....

Great minds think alike. I got one last year and haven't seen it since it was appropriated by my son.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440

Farmer, yes that is where he will be living. I will tell him to waive when he sees a bus. His unit is in the back overlooking the pond and that road.

he will just take western to fuller. His building is just a short bit up fuller, so that makes the most sense.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited June 2014

isellhondas said:

As a hooptie expert I would recommend an older Buick Century/Oldsmobile Ciera. Identical cars they made until 1996. Light, pretty good on gas, reliable for an American car and cheap to fix because they made millions of them. In my part of the country the salt ate them all to death but where you are there should be some nice ones.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4544876611.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4539322765.html

I might call on this one:
    http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/4529840813.html

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@henryn said:
    I was taught to always rub oil on the gasket before installing the filter. This was supposed to keep the gasket from sticking to the block, but I'm not sure if that really worked.

I was taught that too but it seems to be a forgotten art. I changed my oil once as it was getting dark. The garage that had done the last oil change evidently never oiled the gasket and it stuck to the motor. I didn't notice because of the lack of light. My son drove it until the engine was toast from lack of oil. Mentioned in passing that the oil light was on a week later. Can't fix stupid, can you?

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

@isellhondas said:
    Getting back to buying and selling cars.

The cars that are good ones get snapped up immediately.

Still looking....

Well, if you can't find one, what hope is there for the rest of the folks looking for a 2K driver. Maybe your dealership contacts can alert you when one shows up for trade that will be immediately wholesaled. Good luck.

An older friend of mine has an X3 of the same vintage as mine; I always offered to help him with oil changes and such but he didn't want to "impose" so...
    He ends up taking it to an alleged mechanic who can't spell "BMW" and who also apparently lacked opposable thumbs. I got called in to rectify the damage at the next oil change. The "professional technician" used what appeared to be a Fram cartridge filter; the filter medium was on the verge of disintegrating as were the plastic end caps(something that OEM filters do not use). He also nearly stripped the oil pan out by over-tightening the drain plug(he missed the salient fact that BMWs have used a replaceable aluminum/copper seal ring on the drain plug for at least 50 years). The icing on the cake was the moron's failure to reset the Service Interval system. The pro "didn't have the right reset tool". I suppose he was referring to his own brain, as thirty seconds spent on Google would have revealed that no tool is needed- it is a dead simple procedure that only uses the odometer reset button.
    Oh yeah, he charged my friend more for the garbage Fram element than I pay for an OEM filter from my dealer...

@oldfarmer50 said:
    isellhondas said:

As a hooptie expert I would recommend an older Buick Century/Oldsmobile Ciera. Identical cars they made until 1996. Light, pretty good on gas, reliable for an American car and cheap to fix because they made millions of them. In my part of the country the salt ate them all to death but where you are there should be some nice ones.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4544876611.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4539322765.html

I might call on this one:
    http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/4529840813.html

I agree with your choices. Most have the 3.1 engines that aren't bad.

I like Saturns too. They don't have a good resale especially since they are now an orphan. Not bad cars. If I can find a Taurus that doesn't have a bad transmission those work too.

I might give the guy with the white Buick a call since he's probably 15 minutes from us. Wenatchee is probably 200 miles away.

I appreciate your ideas and agree with you.

"I like Saturns too"

I like those SL models, I don't know why. The term "cute" comes to mind. The ones I see on CL are rather pricey in my opinion. Some suffered from cracked heads or oil burning. A lot are manual trannys.

A woman at work has a 2002 SC 3 door with 5sp manual. I could see myself buying it some day.

I have decided I would like to have a Lexus ES for some reason. of course, my budget probably covers a first year model with 250K on it. Maybe.

veering off topic again (hey, I'm not up to the point of selling or buying cars yet).

my wife was upstairs today doing chores, and called me up as the dryer was "having a problem". Well, turns out the problem was it did not want to turn on, or stay running when it did. Plus, there was a distinct burning smell (seemed to me to be rubber or electrical). So as much as it pained her, I unplugged it since I doubt it would end well trying to use it more. And by that, i was expecting to burn the house down.

a few weeks back the washer didn't want to run. I managed to get that going by taking 1/2 the load out, and seems to have been OK since.

we debated calling the service guy again, but I strongly suspect that if repairable, it was going to be an expensive part + service call. Given that (per the wife) they have not been cleaning well, and they are about 14 YO at this point, we decided to go price out new ones first (having been out of the market for a long time).

turns out that new machines are much fancier, and much cheaper, than the old ones (and ours were high end Maytag front loaders when we got them). Pretty much made financial sense to apply the $75 service call charge to new machines.

we just hit Lowes for our level set. after looking at all the options, a Samsung set seemed to be the best combo of style, features and price. I pretty much violated all the rules (research first, shop around, buy 2nd) by saying to heck with it, and pulling the trigger on the spot. They did meet one key criteria: they were in stock, and could be delivered Tuesday!

Thankfully, after coming home and researching, looks like highly rated units, and the price was rock bottom. End up being pretty fancy machines, washer + gas dryer, for $1,050 + tax delivered and installed, with the old ones dragged away.

oh, technically only needed the dryer, but decided since the washer was fading, better to just do them together. at least they will match!

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

@stever said:

Guess I'd better beware those Samsung phones and iPads Wally sells.

The wife and I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S5 last night from Best Buy, got me a pretty good deal on them.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

ipads are the same anywhere. I remember (paging NYCCARGUY!) discussions about plumbing fixtures that looked the same, and had the same model name, but were much different inside when you bought them at the big box stores.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

@snakeweasel said:
    The wife and I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S5 last night from Best Buy, got me a pretty good deal on them.

What kind of deal did you get? I bought an S-5 three weeks ago from Best Buy and it was not much of a deal when you figure in the fancy case ($50) and protective glass ($35). That I can live with but my AT&T international data charge was $244 for only 102 MB of data use. Ouch!

The Galaxy S-5 is more than a smart phone. It handles all your communication and navigation needs and the 1080p and 4K video camera is amazingly brilliant. However, battery life stinks. I have to recharge at least twice a day.

@stickguy said:
    veering off topic again (hey, I'm not up to the point of selling or buying cars yet).

my wife was upstairs today doing chores, and called me up as the dryer was "having a problem". Well, turns out the problem was it did not want to turn on, or stay running when it did. Plus, there was a distinct burning smell (seemed to me to be rubber or electrical). So as much as it pained her, I unplugged it since I doubt it would end well trying to use it more. And by that, i was expecting to burn the house down.

Did you try cleaning out the lint trap and BEHIND the lint trap? Our dryer has gone out several times because the lint builds up in the ductwork and the unit gets hot. Trips some sort of circuit breaker. Clean it out, let it cool down and back to work.

edited June 2014

My Fusion has been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks waiting for a part, so I started looking around just in case. Other than the amount of time, it hasn't been a big deal. I've put about 150 miles on the loaner. Weather has been good, so I've been driving the convertible.
    Regarding appliances, I will pay to get them repaired once, Next time it gets replaced. After 16 years, we've replaced the washer, dryer, microwave, and dishwasher. I just replaced one of the stove burners (glass top) and have to manually turn the ice maker on/off by moving the little bar up or down. Next priority is to replace the furnace.

farmer, it looks pretty clean in the lint area. That was really clogged before we moved it upstairs, and at most it just caused it to run long (not as hot). Given the age, etc. we decided to not get on the repairman hamster wheel.

I should tomorrow dismantle it though just to check! though given how bad the smell was (not like lint, more like electrical), I don't think I am willing to try running it again to find out!

I do need to pull it out so I can get behind it to vacuum I guess. Not something I do all that often. OK, ever.

@stickguy said:
    I have decided I would like to have a Lexus ES for some reason. of course, my budget probably covers a first year model with 250K on it. Maybe.

Why not just look for a V-6 Camry? Those ES's aren't much more than a gussied up Camry.

well, because it is a Camry. I just couldn't bring myself to do that. Plus I like the Lexus seats.

My quest continues....

A guy had a 96 Taurus for sale for 1500.00. The power steering pump moaned like a foghorn, the A/C blew hot but according to the seller, it "just needs a charge". The car was SO filthy inside and out.

Then there was a Corsica with a slipping transmission BUT, the seller felt that a "band adjustment" would "probably" solve the problem.

Some guy with an overpriced stripper Camry that the seller "knew" would "easily" go another 288,000 miles!

And a gentleman from India that I simply could not understand.

Still looking....

Speaking of 'other' filters, my shop vac didn't seem to be working well even with a new filter. It has a detachable top unit that can be used as a blower. Turns out the underside has a foam filter that was clogged. I cleaned it and it works much better.

I'm starting to think that I should ask more $ for my TL when I put it on the market at the end of the summer. $4,000 seems to be the new $2,000. In this case, the AC really does blow cold, and it does run like 1/2 the miles!

@bwia said:
    What kind of deal did you get?

Well we went in to look at something else and we stopped and looked at the phones. Best buy had the on sale for $99 each (Verizon phones, they are back to $199 today online) plus a fancy wallet cases that I think went for $50 each. Talking to the manager he looked online and found the for less and matched the price at $35 and gave us $85 for our old iPhones (iPhone 4) bringing it to $183 plus tax, title and license. Chatting with the manager he came down a little on the cases and give us a little more for our iPhones. So it came out to use getting two Galaxy s5's and cases for two 5 year old iPhones and $168 including tax.

However, battery life stinks. I have to recharge at least twice a day.

I haven't noticed a short battery life, so far today it has kept a decent charge. I'll find out tomorrow how the battery fairs when I use it pretty much like I did with the old iPhone. The iPhone being 5 years old was losing battery capacity and I had to charge it up midday. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Just to let you know I made a personal achievement yesterday, I did a Century Ride (and no it wasn't riding in a Buick). A Century Ride is a cyclists equivalent of a marathon, 100 miles or more in a day. We went 111.4 miles in just over 8.5 hours.

You are a better man than me!!!

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384

Rb- am I detecting that your Mazdaspeed 3 is back? Lousy timing on my part.... Wondering what it would take to essentially turn my 6 into kind of a speed6? I bet putting some nice shocks and maybe springs (I'm sure all are original). The Solara gets sold in a couple days and souping up the 6 might be a way to go. Having gone through skin cancer, even though it supposedly wasn't sun related, makes having a convertible less of a necessity.

That said, a nice Miata would still tempt mightily.

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.

OF - I must have missed the prez by a day. All nice and quiet.

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.

Steve, the 6 is a good platform. Usually by the 100K or so (where I assume you are) the suspension is far from what it was. Some nice Konis and new bushings alone could make a transformation.

tire rack has a lot of stuff. Looks like about $700 gets you H&B springs and Konis struts all around, all rated as "performance street" which sounds like what you want. Plus installation of course, so figure maybe 1K to totally revitalize and upgrade the suspension? The 6 is a nice handling car to start. that should be like night and day to warn out OEM.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=MAZDA6+s+Wagon&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=

@fezo said:
    Rb- am I detecting that your Mazdaspeed 3 is back?

Yes, and as good as new. The shop did a fantastic job.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited June 2014

Anybody watch 60 Minutes last night?

They did a feature story celebrating Lamborghini 50th. anniversary, and wow what stunning footage. I will try to post the video, if and when I find it.

P.S: Here is the video. http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/lamborghini-50-years-of-exotic-supercars/

• jsyodesjsyodes Member Posts: 21

Anyone looking for a vacation, Ferrari is opening a theme park hotel in Spain it looks like. I believe they also have one in Abu Dahbi. I wonder if they have a Ferrari go-kart track?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101569006

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Most of you know, oil price gouging is a huge boondoggle. Hot on the heals of reports that the U.S. is, for all intents and purposes, oil indenendent due to shale oil, we get a politician (of all people) calling out the oil industry....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/bernie-sanders-oil-iraq_n_5515822.html

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

@roadburner said:

Yes, and as good as new. The shop did a fantastic job.

On my way......

Meanwhile, what do you think of stick's idea. Kind of what I'm thinking.

edited June 2014

@graphicguy said:
    Most of you know, oil price gouging is a huge boondoggle. Hot on the heals of reports that the U.S. is, for all intents and purposes, oil indenendent due to shale oil, we get a politician (of all people) calling out the oil industry....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/bernie-sanders-oil-iraq_n_5515822.html

You have to remember that Bernie is an unabashed socialist so he's coming from a position that any private enterprise is evil.

Maybe his efforts would be better served if he investigated why after a 40 year ban the government is allowing oil exports.

@fezo said:
    Meanwhile, what do you think of stick's idea. Kind of what I'm thinking.

You might need more than shocks and bushings to get a true Speed6.

Starting with the basic Mazda 6 structure--a unibody with good rigidity credentials--Mazda added a cross brace behind the rear seats and a hefty cross-body beam under the dash, heavied up the mounting points for the front and rear suspension subframes, and beefed the A-pillar anchor points. The net of the foregoing, according to Mazda, is a 50-percent gain in torsional rigidity. Sounds extravagant, but we failed to pack a structural-rigidity test rig and thus must take the company's word for it.

As you'd expect, the suspension--unequal-length control arms in front, a multilink rear--has been stiffened, with higher spring rates, firmer shock damping (monotube at the rear), harder bushings, and heftier anti-roll bars fore-and-aft. Heftier also applies to the brakes, which spin behind 7.0-by-18-inch alloy wheels (versus 7.0-by-17 on the Mazda 6 s).

Power is supplied by a revised Mazda MZR 2.3-liter DOHC 16-valve four, said revisions including a block cast from higher-density aluminum alloy; a reduced compression ratio (9.5:1 versus 9.7:1); a steel crankshaft with enlarged crankpins; direct (versus port) fuel injection, a first for a U.S. Mazda; and a Hitachi turbocharger compressing the air-fuel mixture to the tune of 15.6 psi via an air-to-air intercooler mounted squarely atop the engine.

Throw on a front strut tower brace too. Close enough.