Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Mazda CX-5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

oshoggoshogg Member Posts: 7
edited May 2014 in Mazda

I just bought 2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring (White) with Tech package. It doesn't have any other extras like roof rails etc.

I paid $29,099 for the car
DMV fees (around $275)
Doc fees - $75
No Sales Tax (Oregon)

Everything was negotiated via phone/email before I went to buy the car.

Only surprise addition was loan origination fee of $350 for Mazda financing for the 0.9% for 36 months. But, I thought I was good deal with the car price so did not complain much about it. I don't think auto loans have any financing fees usually - is this just a way to make additional money?

Osho

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

That sure sounds like a dealer fee. But, on Mazda's website, under the 0.9% financing offer, it does say that "loan origination fees may apply".

That's the first I've heard of it.. maybe, another bad trend starting.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tfu747tfu747 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014

I'm thinking of a 2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD in red, which I'm getting out the door for $29k (including all taxes and fees). This is in NE Ohio.

Given the above deal for the Grand Touring, I'm a little unsure now!

• kieran0325kieran0325 Member Posts: 1

@tfu747, oshogg stated they have no sales tax in Oregon; so that alone could save you over $2k :D Must be nice!! I'm looking hard at a Honda CR-V EXL and a Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited; but am adding the CX-5 Grand Touring to the list! I also happen to think that the "loan origination fee" is a total scam! All they're charging you for is beginning the loan process! WTF? I've seen online where experts say you may be able to negotiate that away if you try. I'll be watching that little cost! If anyone can tell me why I should buy the CX-5 let me know...thanks!

Yeah... loan origination fees on a car loan are right up there with $499 and up document fees.. ridiculous.. You can fix that right quick by having your own financing in place. Once they see that they aren't going to even get the base kickback from Mazda Finance on the deal, they'll change their tune..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dvu_txdvu_tx Member Posts: 1

I just purchased a 2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring in Meteor Gray with the moonroof/audio package, with no other accessories from the dealership for OTD of $27,000, and TTL was 1,907.29.

I think I received a good deal, but want to get other's thoughts.

• eagle4ueagle4u Member Posts: 2

I am planning to buy **2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring (AWD) with Tech package **in Bay Area, CA. Any tips on what price point I should start negotiating? or what price should I expect from dealer?

I have sent mail to 5-6 dealers and waiting for their response. Thanks.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029

@eagle4u said:
    I am planning to buy 2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring (AWD) with Tech package in Bay Area, CA. Any tips on what price point I should start negotiating? or what price should I expect from dealer?

I have sent mail to 5-6 dealers and waiting for their response. Thanks.

You can start by using the shopping tools at the top of the page - you can search by model, trim and location.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2014

Let us help you evaluate your proposed Mazda CX-5 purchase. Please fill in the fields below and include in your post:

1. Trim and factory options: __________________ (see this link to build your CX-5)
    2. Dealer price is $____________.
    3. Doc fee is $_____________.
    4. Zip code __________.
    5. Other (extended warranty, service contract, dealer adds): _______________.

This info will help the other forum members compare your quote with True Market Value and actual deals being made around the country.

• cpk5cpk5 Member Posts: 3

I live in TX and looking to buy a 2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring 2WD. I am not looking to buy White or Red, which cost more. I am also considering a CRV and RAV4. After some initial online requests, the best deal I have received is:
    Sales price (incl. destination) - 24223. Invoice on this is 24240+830
    Options (tint, wheel guards, door edge) - 620
    Documentation - 50
    TTL - 1740
    OTD - 26633.

I have not yet started direct negotiations with the dealers. What is your feedback on the price? What can I aim for?

• oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197

I bought a 2015 CX-5 Touring AWD Monday evening. I'm eligible for S plan, so there was no negotiation - got it for invoice. I had a 2010 CRV, and, didn't care for the new one - drive train hasn't been improved. I passed on the RAV4 as well - too underpowered to suit me. The dealer did not charge a loan origination fee, but, did hit me with a $195 "Doc" fee.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat

Well, congrats @oldbearcat, didn't even realize you were shopping. As I recall, your wife didn't like your old CR-V either?

As doc fees go, that one wasn't too bad. Only $145 more that it should have been. ;)

Color? (maybe you can post a pic here or in Reader's Rides).

Stever: The Mazda is the Meteor Gray color. Wife didn't like the Honda because the seats were very uncomfortable to her on long trips because of her two hip implants. Yeah - you're right - I was expecting a $50 Doc fee. Oh well. Started shopping because my daughter wanted the Honda for her kids' nanny, and, she bought it off me on Sunday.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat

edited July 2014

Ah yeah, it's nice to have presold your trade when you decide to shop new.

I was pretty smitten with the Blue Mica myself; didn't get to see the Meteor Gray.

stever: Yeah, I liked the Blue Mica too. However, dealer only had a 14 model in that color, and, the car was more expensive than the 15 model I bought. Took the Mazda on a long business trip today. Boy-what an improvement over the Honda I had.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat

edited July 2014

@cpk5, have you hit any dealers in person yet?

Not much data but it looks like invoice is the car price to shoot for (note that some people occasionally beat "S Plan" or other kinds of "easy" deals (Costco, USAA etc.). It's not as easy a process though.

For your online quotes, it looks like the dealer is adding to their profit with the options, but the options seem more useful than, say, pin stripes.

• jw074jw074 Member Posts: 16

I should be able to get invoice (SPLAN) - $500 (corporate discount) - $500 (college grad)
    = $1k below invoice.

Going to head to dealer now to confirm.

Anyone else get such a deal?

Anyone have residual value & MF for CX-5 Sport AWD?

@jw074 said:

lease term? miles per year?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

36months, 12k miles

@jw074 said:
    36 months, 12K miles.

Sorry, one last question ... what state? Mazda has regional numbers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

NJ
    thank you

@jw074 said:
    NJ
    thank you

58% and .00001

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• kp1321kp1321 Member Posts: 6

After looking at the CRV and Rogue we decided to get the CX-5. Seemed like the middle of all the options with no major downside (and 0% financing doesn't hurt).

For the 2015 Grand Touring AWD Red with the Tech Package (so all the bells and whistles) price was 29,799 with 150 doc fees. We got 4600 for our 2003 Element (which on KBB was listed for 3500 in our shape and milage). This was in Seattle WA. Was cool the car only had 5 miles when we drove it off the lot.

Question, they offered us some Vehicle Service Contract with Zurich for 1549 that was good for 8 years or 100k miles. Are these worth even considering? I tend to think no

Thoughts on the deal, according to Edmonds says True Value should be 30,742 for invoice.

I would never buy a 3rd party extended warranty.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Me neither.

@stever said:
    Me neither.
    @kyfdx said:
    I would never buy a 3rd party extended warranty.

Totally what I was thinking. Thanks for the help. Any thoughts on the deal? Hard for me to tell since the trade is in the mix. I am happy with the monthly payments thought

edited August 2014

Well, you got an "independent" value number for your trade so it sounds like you treated that part of your deal separately from the new car deal. So that's good.

You can "appraise" the new car here by drilling down under the Make/Model/Year tabs above, plug in your Seattle zip and the options (click "Build"). Then compare the sales price to TMV. The idea is to try to beat TMV, since that represents the average price paid in your area. You want to be below average. B)

Pay attention to the bottom line prices instead of the payment. That way the dealer will have trouble padding your payment number without you realizing what you are actually paying for.

@stever said:
    Well, you got an "independent" value number for your trade so it sounds like you treated that part of your deal separately from the new car deal. So that's good.

You can "appraise" the new car here by drilling down under the Make/Model/Year tabs above, plug in your Seattle zip and the options (click "Build"). Then compare the sales price to TMV. The idea is to try to beat TMV, since that represents the average price paid in your area. You want to be below average. B)

Pay attention to the bottom line prices instead of the payment. That way the dealer will have trouble padding your payment number without you realizing what you are actually paying for.

Yeah, that number was the 30,742 for invoice (based on the add ons and trim level) and we paid 29,799 plus 150 doc fee. Feel good about it but wanted more, of course that was without the tech package so I guess it's all good :)

Sounds good to me. Nice rides too - we test drove a 2014 a few months ago. Really hit a lot of sweet spots, including the projected MPG.

After you get some miles on it, please write up a Consumer Review.

• kaveh2kkaveh2k Member Posts: 2

Guys,

I just got an offer for $28,800 before tax, tags, fees for a 2015 AWD Grand Touring with Technology package in Virginia. This is the lowest price if seen in my area.

Good deal?

edited August 2014

@kaveh2k , if there's another dealer around that you liked, you could ask them if they can beat the quote. Seems like VA is a pretty competitive market (maybe just around the District though?), so you may be good to go.

The dealer may be looking for bonus money as the month wraps up (and maybe their quarter) so you could alway ask for a few bucks more off, or some free mats or something. Never hurts to ask.

• sarav2sarav2 Member Posts: 2

Bought my 2015 CX5 Touring with Bose audio and Moon roof for 26280 OTD in CA yesterday. Before tax and fees it was $23,780.

Sounds like a good deal?

• neweggnewegg Member Posts: 1

@sarav2 said:
    Bought my 2015 CX5 Touring with Bose audio and Moon roof for 26280 OTD in CA yesterday. Before tax and fees it was $23,780.

Sounds like a good deal?

Great deal for a AWD!!!! Is it a AWD or FWD?? Thanks.

• looloolooloolooloo Member Posts: 5
    Hey all,

I helped a friend negotiate for a CX-5 Touring in Las Vegas last week and wanted to run it by you all. The process was far less objective and calculating than I normally would design and the package included some slightly unusual features that I had a hard time pricing. I arrived with zero price knowledge about the car and researched with a tablet on the fly...4 hours later this is the deal we made...

2015 Touring CX-5, FWD with

1) Moon Roof/Bose package
    2) Navigation Chip/System
    3) 10 yr/100k mile powertrain warranty
    4) 2 years of oil changes and maintenance free

We paid $26,448 (all fees included) + tax

I had a difficult time pricing the extra warranty and the maintenance and they whacked me a bit last minute with fees after I thought the deal price was final but overall I was happy with price/options. I felt I could have saved as much as $500 given more time but I'm not sure about that and the convenience and other random personal factors outweighed the potential savings. I'm curious if I'm wrong about the price though - thoughts?

Thanks.
    edited September 2014
    Looks like you did well to me. I ran the numbers for my zip code and came up with TMV of $27,730 with the moon roof/Bose and Tech package/nav. That's before fees and taxes and doesn't include the warranty and maintenance.

I wouldn't pay much for the extended warranty or oil change package and don't think they are worth a lot of money. It may have been possible to have weeded those out for a bit more savings but your friend may get some value out of them. Just be careful of upsells at the oil changes and note the fine print for the extended warranty exclusions. I suppose this is one of those dealers that includes the warranty with every sale?
    Yes. They said they're a "test" dealership and everyone gets the 10 yr powertrain - they presented the 2 years of service as automatic too. The place is super close to our house so the service is convenient and I figured the oil changes were worth $200ish ($30 x 7) and the free 15,000 mile service is a + as well. No idea how to value the 10 yr powertrain warranty to be honest. We didn't get the whole tech package - just had the nav chip installed individually - they said it has a $750 list value for whatever that's worth. Thanks for the feedback.
    edited September 2014
    I guess I don't know what the "nav chip" fee is for - I was pricing out the car with the tech package because it included the nav system. I see some stuff online about SD cards for the Mazda - is this something you have to add to get the navigation system to work because you didn't get the tech package? Learn something new everyday around here.

Okay, deleting the tech package gets me down to $26,280 plus $700 for the chip and your "average" price would be $26,980.

So you beat the average and got a couple hundred bucks in oil changes tossed in, and maybe some more benefits when the factory warranty expires. That's kind of a bad lottery to win - do you really want the AC to go out so you can use the extended warranty? B)

Misunderstood that your friend was helping you - it's always nice to have another person there with a bit of detachment and just having another set of ears is always good too. Congrats on the new ride!
    The chip is what makes the nav system go yes, so we had to get it installed for the nav to operate - no prefabbed trims offering nav without the rest of the tech package. I truly hope we do not win the "bad" warranty usage lottery! It does seem likely that based on your TMV calculation I probably could have hit some different dealerships and run an email bidding war to grind out some extra savings but ultimately the convenience and reduced time involved are worth something as well. The car handles really well - hard to believe we'd have found a better ride in the class (the handling on the highest trim CRV was quite rough compared to the CX-5). Thanks again for your feedback.
    Exactly right - you might have ground out a few more bucks, but it's a lot of time and hassle. And over the life of the car, the money saved isn't really worth it, imo, unless you really enjoy that sort of thing.
    Enjoy the ride, I really enjoyed the test drive of a 2014 CX-5 a while back.
  • gocard1gocard1 Member Posts: 31
    I live in the LA area of CA. I have this offer on the table. Should I keep pushing or are we in the ballpark? Thanks all.

Year:2015
    Make: Mazda
    Model: CX-5 Touring AWD
    Options: Bose/Moonroof Pkg, Tech Package, Crystal White Pearl
    MSRP: $29,860
    Offer: $27,808
    edited October 2014
    Different zip code but I get invoice of $28,798 and True Market Value of $29,204. Same MSRP.

So yeah, your offer looks good from here. You can play with an LA zip but I doubt that TMV is much different. Love that color....
  • ninastlninastl Member Posts: 1
    2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD, no add ons, $27,150 plus $199 dealer fee, our own financing at 0.9%, taxes paid separately in MO. (out the door for $27,349). Could have saved $150 if I bought it in blue, the the black was on order rather than in stock.
    Congrats!
  • calbears1calbears1 Member Posts: 54
    Hello, I was quoted, via email, an OTD purchase price on a CX-5 and when i arrived at the dealer to do the paperwork they told me that the lease incentive was already included in the OTD price. I never told them i was going to lease the CX-5 through Mazda. I believe the cash rebate incentive can be applied if you are using Mazda financing? Is that correct? thanks!
    I'm not sure which incentive you are looking at. The fine print at MazdaUSA.com indicates that the Trade-In cash offer and the Loyalty cash offers can be combined with other Mazda incentives. at least in my region.
    calbears1 said:

Hello, I was quoted, via email, an OTD purchase price on a CX-5 and when i arrived at the dealer to do the paperwork they told me that the lease incentive was already included in the OTD price. I never told them i was going to lease the CX-5 through Mazda. I believe the cash rebate incentive can be applied if you are using Mazda financing? Is that correct? thanks!

Are you leasing or buying?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• calbears1calbears1 Member Posts: 54
    I was planning on leasing but i was negotiating the purchase price without disclosing whether i was going to pay cash, use my own financing or lease using Mazda. thanks,
    edited November 2014
    Dealers make money packaging car loans so some, ahem, grinders will go in and make the dealer think they are a payment buyer. Then the buyer pulls the switch in the F&I room.

Thus the old saw - dealers are stealers, but buyers are liars. :-)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    stever said:

Dealers make money packaging car loans so some, ahem, grinders will go in and make the dealer think they are a payment buyer. Then the buyer pulls the switch in the F&I room.

Thus the old saw - dealers are stealers, but buyers are liars. :-)

I don't see why the sale price should be different between a lease and a sale. The dealer gets his money either way (from the lease company or the finance company). They should provide the same price, unless there is manufacturer cash / rebates that vary based on lease vs. buy.

I don't consider it "grinding" to ask for the lowest price possible as the base for either a lease or a sale.
    edited November 2014
    Dealers get a "finders fee" from lenders when they bring them a loan. Don't know where the proceeds of those "lease acquisition fees" go. But if a dealer gets a referral fee for financing, they may give you another $100 off vs. selling the same car for cash.

Nothing wrong with getting the lowest price. People just have different tolerances for how much "grinding" they are willing to do. I tend to make a couple of rounds and if the price still isn't right, I just walk and wait. Some people negotiate for weeks and others much prefer a one-price shop.

Playing a lot of games with the dealer about your intentions, whether you have a trade, etc. falls under the grinding definition to me. YMMV.