Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Road Trip!

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145

The girls just left for a week in Santa Fe. They took the daughter's Countryman S - second long road trip for it in 3 weeks (went to Salt Lake City over Father's Day weekend). Not that they'll keep track, but I wonder what kind of mileage they will get.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

Funny that Portland used up much of the coastline for industrial and then wound up putting a section of bike path on piers over the water along the river. Back east, there's some nice sections of the St. Lawrence that you can't really see for all the factories and warehouses. Shoot, even in this little burg, a three story warehouse/shop blocks the view of the lake from the main drag in town.

(and you really need to get a dirt runner for the backroads!).

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450

@fintail said:
    Portland seems even better for parking the car and using transit. I visited people in an adjacent suburb, but when I wanted to go into the city, simply parked at the local transit center and took the "Max" train where I wanted to go. $5 day pass covers all transit. It was frequent and easy, reminded me of Europe. Downtown Portland, like Seattle, isn't car friendly - it was nice to just walk and then go back when I was done.

San Diego has the Trolley going all over for $5 a day also. Of course the dedicated parking lots for the trolley are the highest car theft locations in the city. You can use the pass on the bus. So best to park at a strip mall and catch the bus to the trolley. I agree that the summers in the NW are VERY hard to beat. Most of the time not to hot or humid. I am thinking I could live in Roseburg OR. They are under 25k and have a Costco. I can buy a home overlooking the Umqua river for under $300k. And prop taxes half of what I pay here. Oregon Prop taxes vary a lot. I am ready for a trip North.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097

Seattle is slowly de-cluttering its downtown shoreline, especially once the viaduct is removed.

Southern OR is probably a good retirement place, for the reasons you mention, gagrice. The climate is a little brighter than points north, I think. I like the idea of eastern WA as a retirement place, but the seasons are more severe.

@fintail said:
    Seattle is slowly de-cluttering its downtown shoreline, especially once the viaduct is removed.

Southern OR is probably a good retirement place, for the reasons you mention, gagrice. The climate is a little brighter than points north, I think. I like the idea of eastern WA as a retirement place, but the seasons are more severe.

I like several small cities East of the Cascades in WA. Last time I was in Spokane was 1974 World's Fair. I liked it then. Probably a lot bigger and more traffic now. You are right about the weather being more severe. Further you get from the ocean the wider the variation. One big issue in the future will be water. So looking where there is NO chance of running out. My wife's sister and BIL would like to move from here to Roseburg. We get along very well so that may be a way for us to ease into moving. Buy a place like this one and slowly move up there.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4199-Melqua-Rd-Roseburg-OR-97471/89800186_zpid/

Spokane has grown a lot, Tri-Cities too. I think you'd dislike them both of them today, they are more like cities than towns. Yakima might be a little sketchy for you, and it is also growing. Walla Walla might appeal to you - my dad retired to a little town near there.

That Roseburg house would make a nice retirement estate. And think what kind of pit that money would get you in southern CA.

The real appeal is having a place I can grow most things we want to eat. Here we have to plant most everything in pots with potting soil. Most of our area is very poor soil. Cactus like it. Or we have to spend a fortune on water. I like the fact that I can water from the river. Better for growing without all the chlorine added. Plus the established vinyard would be good as my BIL has close friends in the area that own a winery.

For some reason Spokane seems to be the murder capitol of WA? Gangs, Drugs???? I'll go around it when visiting the NW.

edited June 2014

I've Zillowed dozens of houses lately (and my wife has looked at a couple of hundred I bet). It amazes me how most people don't declutter before listing their houses for sale. That place in Roseburg looks like it has a baptismal font in the living room and all the photos on the frig really junk it up. Staging, people.

Like the NW coast but the damp is a no go with my wife (summer working at a camp on Vashon Island). She does fine south of, oh, Santa Cruz.

For entertainment in that part of the world, you can watch the highway department blow up beached whales. Just don't park your Olds too close to the action.

Spokane can be kind of methy, as many of the medium sized cities are in this region. Vancouver WA and outlying Puget Sound areas have similar issues. I don't know about violent crime, but probably a lot of petty crime. I'd imagine the Renton to Tacoma area is murder city. Yakima is similar to Spokane, as it is now the drug distribution center. I had a lot of family in that area back before it went downhill - most moved away. It got too rough. They all still have some beautiful areas, but the idea unnerves a lot of people.

Southern OR is definitely good for farming.

@stever said:
    I've Zillowed dozens of houses lately (and my wife has looked at a couple of hundred I bet). It amazes me how most people don't declutter before listing their houses for sale. That place in Roseburg looks like it has a baptismal font in the living room and all the photos on the frig really junk it up. Staging, people.

Like the NW coast but the damp is a no go with my wife (summer working at a camp on Vashon Island). She does fine south of, oh, Santa Cruz.

Even the San Diego coast is cold & damp in the winter when cloudy. I imagine the NW coast is even worse. Both my trips up the N CA and Oregon coast were great. I got a feeling that was not normal. First was late May, and last time was in September of 2009.

It is amazing how people will allow their homes to be shown in a total clutter. In this home upon further research it is owned by an older lady as part of a living trust. I also look at carpet which in this case looks very dated. If I was to make an offer it would be in the $300k to $310k range. If it is still on the market in Sept, I will look at it. I really like the land. I may just have to bite the bullet on their 9% income tax. Everyone pays in Oregon. 5% is the bottom rate and NO bottom limit.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

That must be quite a place! Mid '70s construction isn't necessarily the best, but it was "custom-built" by the owner, so perhaps that plays to your advantage. That's top dollar for the area, though, so I'd guess it is a "love or leave it" sort of deal. Lots of potential for buyer's remorse on that place.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

@xwesx said:
    That must be quite a place! Mid '70s construction isn't necessarily the best, but it was "custom-built" by the owner, so perhaps that plays to your advantage. That's top dollar for the area, though, so I'd guess it is a "love or leave it" sort of deal. Lots of potential for buyer's remorse on that place.

I never let emotions dictate buying vehicles or real estate. If I don't think I can turn around and make a buck on a property within a year I will not buy it. As lovely as that place looks and appeals to me, I would NEVER pay asking price for it. Roseburg has some real plusses going for it. The economy does not look to be one of them. Banks are still gun shy on real estate. You can usually tell by making a low offer if the seller is motivated. Finding someone with $75k down making $65k a year in a town where the median income is $38k is a real stretch. It will take someone with cash that has sold out elsewhere and wants a home on a river. Home next door sold in 2012 for $275k. I have it on my favorites to watch. My guess if it sells it will be for no more than $325k. What amazes me is how many places from $400k to $700k in Roseburg. I would pay $500k for this place before I would pay $380k for the other.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3181-Fisher-Rd-Roseburg-OR-97471/61061159_zpid/

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited June 2014

"outlying Puget Sound areas have similar issues"

Fin, one place out your way I haven't visited is across the Puget Sound like Bremerton. What is that area like, mostly military? Seems like it might have the potential of less hassle and cost, but still decent proximity to Seattle?

edited June 2014

I "made" money on my first two houses - that was in '77 and '80. The other five have been, at best, washes.

It's kind of like cars, life is short so drive what you like. You need to live in a place you like and in an area you like. Stuff like resale or taxes isn't even (much) on our radar.

Just had an enjoyable talk with a neighbor around the corner that we don't know well. She and her ex flipped 10 houses in 20 years down in lower Michigan. No wonder she wound up going through a nasty divorce. :'(

In other news, we've been back home a week and I'm about 80% sorted for the final move. So now my wife wants to do a road trip south to visit my relations in TN and VA. Well, there is some junk I'd like to dump on my brother, sooo....

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384

Just don't do it while we're up your way.

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.

August is looking more feasible; got a weaving class up here and dental stuff going on. My wife will have to settle for a greenhouse run over to Marquette. That'll kill an entire day. B)

Yes, the Naval shipyard there is the lifeblood of the town. I think the peninsula there has a lot of meth operations too, but that's really an epidemic in much of western WA and OR. Not the worst medium sized town, lots of charming prewar houses IIRC, but the economy isn't as vibrant as across the sound, and although it is close to Seattle as the crow flies, it is maybe a 90 minute drive or a ferry ride to the city. Maybe suitable for retirees who like more rain, it is big enough to have medical facilities and amenities.

@berri said:
    "outlying Puget Sound areas have similar issues"

Fin, one place out your way I haven't visited is across the Puget Sound like Bremerton. What is that area like, mostly military? Seems like it might have the potential of less hassle and cost, but still decent proximity to Seattle?

@fintail said:
    Maybe suitable for retirees who like more rain, it is big enough to have medical facilities and amenities.

Lots of Alaskans and CA retirees like Sequim. Seems to have decent weather compared to much of the region. I have friends in Poulsbo that love it.

That's right. Sequim is in a rainshadow - receives significantly less than the rest of western WA. Big retiree place.

@gagrice said:
    Lots of Alaskans and CA retirees like Sequim. Seems to have decent weather compared to much of the region. I have friends in Poulsbo that love it.

Steve, This may be the perfect travel trailer for you.

http://uev.com.au/models

http://uev.com.au/show-dates

Wow; those are pretty incredible rigs! I never saw mention about the weight of them, but they sure pack a lot into a small package!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited July 2014

@xwesx said:
    Wow; those are pretty incredible rigs! I never saw mention about the weight of them, but they sure pack a lot into a small package!

I did not research dealers in the USA. It may be a opportunity as I have not seen any rig to compare. Probably not cheap.

PS

They are pricey. But you would be the only one in the USA campground so well equipped. A nice Alaska rig. You could become the dealer.

http://www.conqueroraustralia.com.au/images/stories/reviews/490andcommanderprice.pdf

edited July 2014

Heh, I could get a Commander S and park it out in the desert somewhere that has line of site wifi. Big awnings, big water tanks, comes with the knives and forks too.

Would be perfect, just so long as you don't make me actually pull it around. :D

Took a fun (and hot) 250+ mile trip in the fintail yesterday, drove through Mt. Rainier National Park, drove around the mountain. Here's a scenic fintail's eye view near the mountain, my friend's 240D in front of me. I can share some other shots if there's any interest:

• grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786

G'day

Pretty spectacular view, from several perspectives. The lenticular cloud over Mt Rainier is something I have wanted to see in real life and the fintail view is a real treat.

Cheers

Graham

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

The BIG question is....who's car is faster?

The 240D or the screamin' Fintail!

Nice shot.

My brother is camping at Custer btw - no pics though.

Fintail is definitely faster, although the 240D driver drives his car hard, and generally keeps up. It's the hills that get to him.

Some other pics:

THe NW has some great scenery. What elevation is that snow. We were about 8000 ft in NM 3 weeks ago and no snow.

edited July 2014

My brother reports buffalo, elk, antelope and prairie dogs at Custer today. A bit off-topic (especially since there's no road there), but it's prime time at Katmai. Lots of bears fishing on the web cam. We saw two black bears ourselves last night here in the UP.

The snow was most prevalent from 5500ft onwards.

The only Custer I know in WA is just north of Bellingham, and isn't particularly wild. I assume Steve's brother isn't there.

Custer State Park in SD. Some members told me about it a year or so ago and we camped there last summer. Reminded me of Yosemite in some ways - lots of granite and wildlife.

Anyone on the road? I'm traveling, but flying and without my wife, so this quick trip doesn't count for much. Just good food and reconnecting with friends at the office.

After a few days at home, we head out for shawfest.com on the way to VA and TN. Will be doing the relatives tour and dropping off some stuff so we won't have to move it. Then home for a couple of weeks before the quick drive to NM and the move (quick, because we'll be traveling with a 10 year old cat who didn't get the road trip genes).

Just finished our annual fishing trip. I'd share, but I don't have any relevant details to hand, nor photos available at this locale. Perhaps if I think about it from home....

Thanks!

@newnewz said:
    gorgeous pics, gorgeous car! would LOVE one of these beauties

Another road trip, another flat tire.

By the time the TPMS light came on and we pulled over, it was too late. You could hear the leak - nail in the tread. We had just done a pit stop at McDonalds so we probably picked it up in their parking lot. Thirty minutes of horsing around putting the spare on (and yeah, the lug nuts were tight), and another half hour at the nearby service station a mile back and we were back on the road. Quite the Advil moment. Naturally the van is loaded to the gills too, so that didn't help jacking it up.

Aiming for "the" bridge, and camping early tonight.

Ah, finally! Photos!

I took the kids and drove to Kasilof for our "annual" dipnet trip. I took the normal get-up: Our 2010 Forester, fishing gear, nets, camping gear, coolers, 3-wheeler & trailer, water, food, and other assorted supplies. The trip is 530 miles one way, so we broke it up into legs. We went down to Palmer on Friday (July 11) night, visited friends in Anchorage on Saturday, traveled the Palmer-to-Kasilof leg on Sunday to set up camp that afternoon, then fished five tides (Mon morn through Wed morn), packed camp, and reversed the legs to arrive home Thursday evening (July 17). Fuel economy averaged a hair over 16mpg... :'(

This year, however, I purchased a set of heavy duty springs for the car by an Australian company called King. Wow; these things are just fantastic and made an incredible difference as far as how the car handled this load.

Car on our 2010 trip:

Car on our 2014 trip after installing new springs:

"Fish Camp" at Kasilof River beach:

Sunset (I use that term loosely, as it was nearly 11pm but was still quite light for another hour or more) at Kasilof River beach on Tuesday, July 15:

edited August 2014

@xwesx said:
    Ah, finally! Photos!

I took the kids and drove to Kasilof for our "annual" dipnet trip.

Did you catch your limit? What come in there, reds or silvers and kings?

Beautiful Sunset.....

edited August 2014

sigh

No, I did not. It was really slow fishing the whole time. I caught 49 fish with 32 hours in the water. My threshold for "horrible fishing" is less than a fish an hour, but, still, 49 in 32 is pretty slow. I couldn't have possibly asked for better weather, though, so that was a blessing.

I caught all reds this time. Occasionally I will catch a silver or two, but kings cannot be kept @ Kasilof. There were some pinks being caught, but I was lucky enough not to catch any. :)

We filleted them and smoked/canned the majority. Tasty stuff and I'm really glad that we went after a two-year hiatus (work-related).

@xwesx said:
    sigh

No, I did not. It was really slow fishing the whole time. I caught 49 fish with 32 hours in the water. My threshold for "horrible fishing" is less than a fish an hour, but, still, 49 in 32 is pretty slow. I couldn't have possibly asked for better weather, though, so that was a blessing.

I caught all reds this time. Occasionally I will catch a silver or two, but kings cannot be kept @ Kasilof. There were some pinks being caught, but I was lucky enough not to catch any. :)

We filleted them and smoked/canned the majority. Tasty stuff and I'm really glad that we went after a two-year hiatus (work-related).

I love Reds, my favorite salmon. And really best caught right out of Salt Water. My favorite Salmon fishing trips was with a friend that lived in Homer. We would take his boat out to English bay when the Reds were in there. I have eaten Pinks caught in Homer Bay. Not in a league with Reds, Silvers and Kings.

Was it combat fishing or not so crowded?

edited August 2014

@gagrice said:
    Was it combat fishing or not so crowded?

Hahahahaha; your memory serves you well, Gary! In this case, I would call it "exceptionally busy," especially for week days (I always make a point to do my fishing during the week to avoid the weekend crowds). I wouldn't call it "combat" fishing, though, as everyone in my general vicinity were very considerate of one another. We recognize that we're all in it together and that there is plenty of room in the water for all the nets. So, all in all, a pleasant experience.

Funny enough, I found out this year that I am somewhat of a celebrity down there because of my 1984 Honda ATC250 (Big Red three-wheeler). It was quite the conversation starter. In addition, "regulars" were wondering what happened to us the last couple years because we went down for ten years straight before our hiatus.

Of obtainable salmon, my favorite is red when processing or silver when fresh. Kings are fantastic both fresh and frozen, but they are such a rare commodity that I tend to not even put them on my list of mentionables. :p

edited August 2014

@xwesx said:

My last Alaska salmon fishing trip was to Willow Creek in about 1991. It was crazy. Is your dipnet by permit only?

G'day

@xwesx said:
    Funny enough, I found out this year that I am somewhat of a celebrity down there because of my 1984 Honda ATC250 (Big Red three-wheeler)

I remember those. I can confirm that they float. Unfortunately my farmer cousin can confirm that they float upside down (not a happy discovery when the engine is running and it got away into a dam).

I am fascinated by the size of that dip-net. How do you lift a thing that size with a Salmon in it.
    We do not fish with anything like that here.

Also intrigued by the donut tyres on the trailer. Are they peculiarly Alaskan or commonplace in the USA? Here in Australia, we typically use a 6' * 4' box trailer with drop rear and front panels with the wheels (normal car size) sitting outside the box area and mounted on a solid axle with leaf springs. Load height is about the same.

Looks like a really fun trip. It is good that you have supervision by a kid and a dog; always the best fishing trips.

Cheers

Graham

Gary: It is by permit and limited to residents only. For "southcentral" fisheries (includes Kasilof and Kenai River mouths, as well as Fish Creek outside of Wasilla on a rare occasion), the bag limit is 25 fish for "head of household" plus ten fish for each additional household member. In my case, 55. That includes any species except for kings (Chinook), which are typically restricted to one (or fewer) on the Kenai and none for any other location.

Graham: The nets are limited to 60 inches (~1.5 meters) across the largest portion of the opening (or diameter if circular) with a "bag depth" of no more than the same. We generally use a gill net with a 4" mesh. People make them out of all sorts of stuff including pvc, rigid copper pipe, you name it...

But, the trick, really, is to have a net that is durable, relatively lightweight, and comfortable to both hold and maneuver. I have two rectangular nets (the ones with the long handles that protrude off the back of the car's roof) that are made out of steel pipe and a 52" circular one that is made of aluminum. My preferred net is the circular one because it has a longer handle (10'/3m w/ a 6'/1.8m extension, so I don't need to stand as deep in the water) and does not tend to snag up the net nearly as often, but I have pulled many a fish out of the river with all of them.

When catching a fish, you simply pull the net backward to the shore - no need to lift it out of the water. When I do need to pull it from the water to reposition, etc., I pull the handle back to a comfortable mid-point, lift it overhead, and go from there. Perhaps the craziest part of the whole thing is to put this tiny net (when compared to the size of the river) into a river and stand there expecting a fish to simply swim into it. It works, but I always have to perform sanity checks after standing there for two, sometimes three, hours with nothing but impending hypothermia to show for it.... :p

Here's my setup when I head down to the beach:

@grahampeters said:
    Also intrigued by the donut tyres on the trailer. Are they peculiarly Alaskan or commonplace in the USA? Here in Australia, we typically use a 6' * 4' box trailer with drop rear and front panels with the wheels (normal car size) sitting outside the box area and mounted on a solid axle with leaf springs. Load height is about the same.

Oh, and we also have the trailers similar to what you described. They are quite commonplace here and are known as "utility trailers." I would estimate the 6'x12' box size as the most common. Mine is often known as a "snowmobile trailer." It has an 8' x 8' bed designed to hold two snow machines side by side. It has a full tilt bed (which is quite scary to use) that works well for loading one machine, but is impossibly difficult to use when loading more than one. I generally just roll my machine and trailer up to it and lift them onto the bed by hand since it only sits about 12" above the ground.

The tire size is 18.5X8.5-8 (215/60-8 is appx the same), load range C (1760# max load @ 50 psi (3.45 bars)) and are designed for highway use, but they are sized in that way to fit under the trailer and in-line with the vehicle tires so that they pull more easily through snow. I'm not sure how well they work, though, because they have just enough of a "v" shape to the bearing surface that they dig down into sand like nobody's business! I had to deflate them to 15 psi before they would ride up on the sand and not bog my car (or three-wheeler) down.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

That's pretty much how I get my fish... except for the part where I drive to Kroger.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@xwesx said:
    Gary: It is by permit and limited to residents only.

I thought that was how it worked. Are they bought and sold or by drawing? I have friends from Delta that do the fish wheel thing also. She is Eskimo from Kaktovik so not sure how that works. I know her and her husband can and smoke a LOT of salmon every year on Subsistence permit.

edited August 2014

@gagrice said:
    Are they bought and sold or by drawing?

Dipnetting is considered "personal use." From a state lingo perspective, it is somewhere between sport fishing and subsistence. Personal use fishing requires a resident fishing license ($26.00 annually) and a permit, but the P.U. permit does not cost anything. So, anyone who is a resident head-of-household with a fishing license can get a permit once per year.

I am not well-educated on the subsistence fishery, but a significant limitation is the location of one's primary residence. The catch restrictions are much more liberal for subsistence.

That sorta plays into kyfdx's note above ("except for the part where I drive to Kroger."). In some areas, that isn't a feasible option. For me, I just choose to not do that. At around $6-$7 a pound for "fresh" red salmon, I can spend a reasonable amount on this fishing trip and come out ahead. I figure I spent around $400 on the trip, which is nearly all fixed cost. So, my first fish costs me about $100 per pound. But, at 45 fish, I spent about $2.25 per pound on my catch and 100% of the meat will go to use. It's a gamble, though. If the catch is bad, I could spend more than the local supermarket (not to mention the time invested). From strictly a dollar standpoint, I would be better off going to the local store at anything under around seventeen fish.

That said, if I spent 32 hours in the water and caught only 17 fish, I would be hard-pressed to repeat that experience regardless of the economics of it!

@xwesx said:

G'day

One of my fun time-wasters is watching bearcam at Brooks River. Is dipnetting more successful than the average bear? If so, why am I not seeing Brown Bears with your rig?

Cheers

Graham

They are having tech difficulties this morning, but I'm guessing the Katmai bear cam is the link you use.