Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dust in interior. 2014 GMC Sierra.

furrowjockyfurrowjocky Member Posts: 14
edited August 2014 in GMC

My new 2014 Sierra has a terrible dust leak somewhere. We were driving down our rural country road the other day and all of a sudden we were completely fogged in the cab by dust, could hardly breath. A friend has a 2014 Silverado same problem. He said it was coming in front of right hand rear door. I could not tell where this was coming from. It doesn't occur all the time, and also at varying degrees. Can anyone help me with this problem. Thanks

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited August 2014

You might test the door seals by placing a dollar bill in the door opening and shutting the door. You should not be able to extract the bill without some difficulty. If the dollar bill slips out easily, then that door needs adjustment or a new seal. This is a good way to demonstrate the problem to the dealer as well.

A more scientific method may be required if the leak only occurs while in motion, or if it's not coming from the door opening, --- and that is to use a smoke machine--that'll pick up leaks no matter where they are occurring---windshield, back glass, lower door sill, wherever.

• furrowjockyfurrowjocky Member Posts: 14
    Took it in to the GMC dealer twice. They took it to the body shop adjusted doors in a little did not help. Second time into body shop, I called and talked to the tec, he stated if you look real close you can see where dust has come in bottom of windows on inside seal and threw door holes where there is a anchor to limit how far door opens. I stated to him you would think with AC on with fan blowing there would be enough pressure in cab to keep dust out. Instead there must be negative pressure to bring dust in. Anyone else with this problem? Also speaking of dust, GM has done nothing as far as moving breather for evap canister. Mine have plugged on all 6 of my GM vehicles, just done one on my 06 Sierra for seven hundred and some dollars. So have invested $4200 in all. At least the dealer uses a piece of heater hose and re- routes breather to front of vehicle so it doesn't happen again. My 2011 I replaced two in 90,000 miles. So why am I not driving a Ford, that is a very good question.