Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    I'll get things going. Just put Nokian Hakkapelitta Q's all the way around on my ZX3. Have ran GY F-32, Blizzaks, and Artic Alpins along with other off brands in the past. Will put the Nokians up against any of them, plus if they last like their web site ("www.nokian.com") claims, I will be very thankful to the guys who pointed them out to me. They have one of the most comprehensive web sites I have seen. Check it out and then compare with the other companys.

Oh, I purchase my tires from a local distributor, who employs local people. That way I have a real person to complain to if I have a problem with the product he handles. Plus I support the local economy. He also makes road calls.

Pat
  • rbink1rbink1 Member Posts: 11
    Pat

I just put on Hakka 1's on both of my cars (2000 Civic and 01 Subaru Forester). I have been using Hakka 10s for the past 10 years. As you know, the Hakka 10's are now made for light trucks only.
    I agree, Nokian make some outstanding tires. For northern Michigan (up to 240" of snow each year)I wanted a more aggressive tire tread. Let me know how your Q's work out. The saleperson tried to sell me the Q's, but after using the 10's (great tread), I wanted a similar tire. The 1's also are T rated. Good luck and drive safe.

Dave
  • agtabbyagtabby Member Posts: 28
    I went to college at Michigan Tech in Houghton. Just curious -

The year before I went to Tech Houghton got 360" of snow, sorry I missed that.\

Andrew
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    There are some I work with. I kid them that Michigan keeps inmates further south than Mich tech.
    Andrew/Heng

Not that far north. Only made it to Marquette.
    Now living in the Traverse City area.
    I have the Michelin X Plus on a Windstar (before I sold it). There is a particularly steep but short grade on my commute. In the wet snow we sometimes (usually) get in the northeast, the tread isn't aggressive enough to bite through to the pavement when it is more than 3 inches deep. This would probably be true for all 'all season tires'.

Without traction control, I end up fighting my way up (front tires slipping and sliding). This would not be good on long grades. I have another vehicle with traction control. It only reduces the amount of slipping and sliding.
    After living with ice and snow for the past 50 years, I have found that "all season tires" just can't cut it when the snow flys. There ok if you only get a few inches per year, but snow tires are the only answer if you live in states that experience real snow and ice. Some all seasons tires are fine for the first year, but most do a poor job. I look at snow tires as an cheap insurance policy for myself and my family.
    Have lots of people running "All Season" tires in Western New York during the winter months. Every time we have a bad snow they make the local news. Spinning tires and going no where, even while someone pushes them. That's the picture which you see when Buffalo gets dumped on. That along with the fact that the storm hit first week of Buck Season and 2/3 of the snow plow drivers were on vacation at hunting camp.
  • 1nice95gs1nice95gs Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know a good but chap brand of tires. My car uses the 15" touring tires but my wallet can't handle the $300+. Any suggestions?
    They are less than $60 apiece from BJ, Costco, Sams, etc.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Toyo 800 Ultra.
    Heng's BFG choice is a good one.
    Firestone Firehawk Touring.
    I saw Goodyear Regatta's on sale somewhere (NTB?) and they were highly rated by Consumer Reports recently.
  • 5spd5spd Member Posts: 38
    One of the all time good cheap tire is Pirelli P400. It's cheap, but it is an excellent tire for dry, wet of snowy condition. Can't be beat for the money.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I have two different sets of new tires (8 tires). Both vehicles use identical sized tires. 4 tires with air like the 4 total vehicles I have lose at app 1 # per mo. How do I know this? I check them all at the same time. The nitrogen filled one (5th one) as I have described loses app 1# every 3/4 mo. Your suspicion makes sense for may one or two tires. To me, it does not explain 20 tires.
  • tronsrtronsr Member Posts: 46
    I posted this under "Tires" at the Town hall Maintenance Topic and I figured I might get an answer here...I just purchased a 2001 Ford Escape. The 16" Firestone Wilderness HT's {not on recall} show 40 p.s.i. on the sidewall...The drivers side door post shows 30 p.s.i. Which is right?? You can Email me at nortsr@cs.com or post the answer.
    Thanks
  • vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    The psi shown on the driver's door is correct. The one printed on the tire itself is the max psi that particular tire should be inflated to.
  • slauroslauro Member Posts: 5
    97 Pathfinder LE 4wd - OEM Tires were Bridgestone Dueler H/T 235/70/15. (180 treadwear, B traction B temp and need replacing at 21,000 miles, baaaad.)
    For 90% on paved roads, family car type situation in New York, whattya guys think? Mostly concerned with as good a handling tire (for an suv) that has m/s ratings and offers the best in highway traction and resistance to hydro. For now, cost is NOT an issue. Michelin LTX M/S the absolute best? Tirerack rates the Bridgestone Dueler H/L as best in class. Local tire guys have said Pirelli Scorpion A/S offers the best traction, although a little noisier than the Michelin's. Anyone have any input on the new Michelin Cross Terrain for suv's? I'd give up some treadlife and some noise if I felt the good wet/dry traction and optimum maneuverability on a set of tires could help make the vehicle (potentially) a bit safer. Comments?thanks.
    If you want highway traction and hydro resistance then maybe you should consider an all season tire, not the SUV type tires.

Eye balling the Michelin cross terrains at tirerack.com, they sure look more like an all season tire than an SUV tire. So I would think that they would work well for your needs. In which case also consider the Michelin X-ones or Pluses.
    for the response. The Mich. Cross Terrains look like a good move for me. Problem is that the 235/70/15 size won't be available for a month or more. I think the only alternate in the Cross Terrain is 235/75/15. So, do I stick with the OEM size or get a slightly bigger tire. I wouldn't mind tires with a bigger 'look' and speedo change is no big deal, but abs brakes and gear ratio compatibility are, as well as performance with a higher tire, although I'm guessing that 5% of 235mm (11.75 mm -- right??) height difference may not matter much (a total of about 3.3% difference in diameter). Anyone have experience with this type of switch and if/how vehicle changed?
    btw, anyone else having hard time posting???
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yes, there is a bug in the software that "loses" you as you go from the read area to the posting box back to the discussion (or something technical like that). While the bug is being swatted, it helps to copy your post so if you get bounced out of the discussion, you can return and paste it back in the box and try again. If you forget to copy the post, often you can "find" it by using your back arrow in your browser.

Steve
    Edmunds.com Town Hall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    If you go to larger tires, your transmission may think that you are going faster/slower than you actually are, and hence performance may be negatively affected. Don't forget that with wider tires, you will also get poorer fuel economy as a result of the larger tire contact patches producing an overall higher rolling resistance. With taller tires, there will be more aerodynamic drag.

If you can hold out for a while longer, I'd recommend sticking to the stock tire size. This way, you don't need to worry about anything. BTW, the Michelin Cross Terrains are an excellent choice. I've test driven a few Acura MDXs fitted with these tires and they were impressive. Other tires you may want to consider include the Consumer Reports top rated BFgoodrich Long Trail T/A, as well as the Pirelli Scorpion S/T.

Good luck!
    Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
  • mattjettavr6mattjettavr6 Member Posts: 7
    www.tirerack.com is a great place to find tires for YOUR car. They have a neat chart for most tires that give valuable information such as Wet and Dry handling ratings, tread life, Hydro resistance, snow traction, cornering, noise, etc. I figured this would be a great site to look at for most people because the ratings are not placed there by the tire companies they are based on consumer feedback from people like us.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I have this size tire on my Corolla now and I was thinking of going up to 195/65/14's when I buy tires next time. Will this cause any problems with the car, hitting the car or bottoming out? Any advise would be helpful within the next couple of weeks as I plan to buy them within that time period. Thanks to all and y'all have a good new year.
  • mattjettavr6mattjettavr6 Member Posts: 7
    Always check your vehicle manufacturer ratings for acceptable tire options for your rims as adding a wider tire to your wheels could adversly affect handling (it changes the bead angle and pressure for sealing the tire onto the rim). Too much rubber on the wrong rim can be a bad thing. Of course your goal is to enhance the handling and ride of your vehicle but I've found that tires aren't something on your vehicle that you just "wing" when considering a change as your life (and others lives) may depend on your tire choice. See my post about tirerack.com above. I think it may be helpful.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I have the 195/65 14 on my 95. It will rub a little bit with weight in the back at low points in the road, but it will not bottom out. It makes the car ride and handle better in my opinion. I have Yokohama TR's.
    It's a nice place to visit it you want info on the tires THEY carry. They didn't deal in the tires I wanted. Try "www.autopedia.com" and click on their tire bbs. They don't sell tires, but tire owners report on all types of experences with tires they own or have owned. You might even find some tire tech or tire representatives who can steer you to some real good information.
  • expanetsexpanets Member Posts: 1
    Consider the Radial Long Trail TA by BFG. Had a set on our CR-V, great wearing, good traction, even in the snow. You can get a good price at Sam's, or a GREAT price at Tire Rack!
  • nick29nick29 Member Posts: 19
    Would anyone know if I can change a tire 155 80R13
    on a 1999 chevy metro to a 175 65R14 without it rubbing? Has anyone had experience with this fitment? Just hoping I can use tires I already have.Thanks all ")
    It'll work as long as you're upsizing the wheels to 14" (you don't say in your post). The extra width of the 175 tires shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not the Geo Metro Expert around here.

If the 14" are already mounted, why not put them on the car as a test?
    Thanks for your response. don't have the tires mounted to try,I was hoping to find out before I spend the money to mount them and so on.
    I see that the 175 60R14's will fit but the 175 65R14's might add to much height.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
  • sethkevinsethkevin Member Posts: 2
    Can you give me some advice on what tires you
    recommend for me? I just bought a used '98 lexus es 300 with the tire size 205/65/15 V rated.

The original tires that are still on the car (it has 30,000 miles) need to be replaced are Goodyear Eagle GA's. I've been to tirerack.com and people seem to hate this kind of tire.

I live in Los Angeles, so don't need to worry about snow. I don't know who to trust and have been given advice to buy either Michelin Energy Plus or Pilot XGTHY.

What do you suggest? My main desire is to keep this as a luxury sedan, i.e. no noise, long lasting, seldom rains.

Also what's your opinion on me getting a wider tire (they said i could consider a 215/60/15). And also is the V versus H rating a big deal for me? Please give me your definitive choice and cut through the cluttter for a Lexus ES 300.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks again for your help!
    The GAs are an old design. Compared to what's more recent on the the market the GAs S***!

I'm biased towards Michelins because they are a quality product and are known for long lasting tires. My personal experience bears this out. You just need to pick the tire model that suits your needs.

As you have read, the energy plus is a luxury touring tire. Smooth ride, acceptably quiet, medium performance. If you are looking for handling then the pilot XGTs are the choice. They probably are a little rougher riding, a little noiser, won't quite last as long but handle a lot better.

My choice is the Michelin X-ones or X-plus. They are very close to the energy plus in ride and handling but will last longer. They only come in a T speed rating which means you shouldn't go over 118 mph on them. The energy plus are available in H and V versions. Some people make a big deal of the speed rating but I find it ludicrous that people think they are going to drive over a 100 mph. But the top handling tires are found with H and V ratings if handling is what you are looking for.

Replacing the Eagle GAs with a more up to date tire will improve your handling. If you are looking for a higher level of handling then consider the 215/60-15.
    Im not sure that I'd recommend the michelin X-ones.Only for the reason that I bought new tires 2 weeks ago and the dealer mentioned that they are changing the X-ones just as they have the MX4.
    If you are in need of a replacement tire you may end up with an unmatched set.
  • mitch23mitch23 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 Mazda 626 with 14" tires. The factory tires are not so great (surprise!) and I plan on replacing them. I figure since I need new tires, why not spring for larger wheels as well while I'm at it. I'm trying to figure out the benefits/disadvantages of going to 16" vs 15" are. Obviously, handling improves with a larger tire, but doesn't MPG go down? Also, the price difference between 15" tires/wheels and 16" is sizeable...so I could stand to save a couple of bucks by just going to a 15".

Finally, can you guys/gals recommend any good 4 tire/4 wheel packages? Seems like you can save some $$$ this way.

Thanks.
    Going to 15" or 16" is a fashion decison for the most part. A larger wheel/tire will give you better performance in handling, steering, and braking since you have more rubber on the road. But offsetting that will be greater road noise, lower mileage, and faster tire wear (depending on tire choice).

I'm not saying don't do it; I've had custom wheels and high-performance tires on my cars for 10 years. Your car will handle and steer better but it's mostly for looks.

Check out that Miata.net link and the 626 topic rooms here at Edmunds to determine how big you can go. I'm guessing your 14" tires are 195/70 so you may be able to go as big as 225/50-16.

Another idea is to buy a set of aluminum wheels from a 626ES-V6. I'll bet there are sets being sold by people who have ES's and have bought custom wheels. Check out E-Bay or some online auctions. Or ask the local custom wheel/tire shop what they do with the OEM take-offs.
    I'd have to second the vote for the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus. I have them on my Saab 9-5 and like them alot. I usually prefer a more performance-oriented tire (and am shopping for 17" wheels/tires now) but if I wanted a more luxury-oriented tire, the MXV4's are a top choice. They still have enough performance for modestly spirited driving on Malibu Canyon Rd or cruising on Mulholland.

IMO, the X-One is not enough tire for the car. They are great for a 4-cylinder Accord or similar, or if you lived in a part of the nation that got more precip. But the construction of the MXV4 is better suited to the ES300's weight and suspension. In other words, I think the X-One is the basic choice and the MXV4 the optimal choice.

Other tires to look at are the Goodyear Eagle LS, Yokohama AVS db (real quiet tire), Dunlop D60A2 (affordable), Bridgestone Turanza Revo H (50K miles treadlife, xlnt in all weather), Yokohama Avid H4.

My experience with the Eagle GA was terrific but they were on a Dodge Intrepid, not a Lexus. Most people who dis the GA have sporty-performance cars and the tire doesn't match well with Golf GTI's and turbo Volvo's. I found the Eagle GA to work very well in lousy midwestern weather and were an excellent highway tire, if a bit noisy. But I think the replacment price is too expensive and there's alot of competition to consider.
    They have mediocre steering response and don't last if you do other than highway driving.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    I replaced the stock 205/65/15 Dunlops on my Avalon, similar to the ES300, with the Michelin XGT-H4's in a 215/60/15, and they are very satisfying. They are much quieter than the Dunlops, and with the slightly wider footprint, have improved the overall manners of the car.

good luck!
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I swaped out the LS 225/60/16's on my Intrigue for Michelin XGT-H4's and couldn't be happier with the change. Better handling in all conditions I've been in so far, and similar wear.
  • chuasanchuasan Member Posts: 42
    Hi,

Have anyone use this tire in the past? Please share your experience/opinion about it (dry/wet/snow). It will be nice if you can provide a comparison with other all-season tires. Thanks

Chris
  • 5spd5spd Member Posts: 38
    Are they good passenger car tires ? Do they have reasonable four season performance ?(rain, snow, etc.)

Appreciate if someone could share their experience.
  • lanceodlanceod Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Mazda Millenia S with 17k miles.
    I have about 5k of treads left. I currently have dunlop sp4000 215/50/17s' and would like to know what tires would be ideal for my car(or stay with the dunlops). What do anyone think about changing to 225/45/17s'? Would that hurt my car or would it improve handling ? pros and cons would be appreciated!
    I can't see that the 225/45's will "hurt" your car, but it will look a little strange with the shorter sidewall meaning the new tires won't fill out the wheelwell nicely.

Your speedometer will read about 2% fast as the new tire will be rotating quicker.

Question I have is...why?
    Looks like a good value tire. Pretty strong UTQG (560), reasonable price, rated well by Consumer Reports, even got good grades at Tire Rack.

For a "normal" passenger car or minivan, seems to me like a good choice.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The Regetta was only a so-so tire. I was considering it a couple of months ago as replacement tires for my minivan. I wasn't particularly impressed with it or the owner's reviews on Tirerack though, and pretty much narrowed my choices to the Pirelli P4000 Touring and the BFGoodrich Control T/A M65; both of these tires were surprisingly about the same price (maybe only slightly higher) than the Regettas.

After reading Consumer Reports' tire comparo, I decided to go for the BFGs since they performed better on snow and ice. 1000+ kms later, I couldn't be happier with my choice. There is a surpring amount of grip in snow and wet pavement performance is excellent. The ABS intervenes much later now than before.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • martin38martin38 Member Posts: 1
    I have 35k miles and will need to buy new tires soon. I currently have michelin's. I am considering the Good year aquatred 3. What is your recommendation or experience with this tire?
  • declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    I recently upgraded my tires and I now have the Dunlop Sport A2s. They are really good all-season tires. Snow traction is adequate, but I've got AWD! They handle the dry and wet roads rather well and do not transmit a lot of road noise.

Michael
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    please recommend replacement tires. i'm interested in a wider, and perhaps, lower profile tire. wet weather safety is also a high priority. can i get both in one tire. van has the stock alloys. thanks....
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    The FireHawk SH-30 tires are H-rated. Very good grip on dry pavement and excellent on the wet one.

I bought them at local Firestone for my 98 Chevy Malibu, after reading the glowing user references on the www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/hpas.jsp). Have the same very favorable impression after several months experience.

The Connecticut roads are hilly and often winding, and I am cornering somewhat hard. The 2000/2001 winter (and the late fall) are rather wet. With the SH-30 I do not feel difference between the dry pavement and wet, even very wet (of course, you feel the deep puddles). The tires are also OK with snow, though not outstanding.

On the other hand, my experience is with a car, not a mini-van. Do not know even if the tires are available for your Ventura. You can check it yourself at tirerack.