Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    I am comparing the ride to the Toyota Highlander.I have never owned a Suv before so MAybe I am not accustomed to that noise level but the cabin was loud.I was impressed with the supression of noise by Toyota in the HL. To me it appears that Acura did not put enough noise reduction padding in the cabin so as to keep the SUV affordable. It's not engine noise I know that for sure.
  • petruskypetrusky Member Posts: 9
    I have a base MDX. Before I installed the roof rack, the wind noise on the MDX is not very pronounced. I thought that it is about the same as the ML320. After I installed the roof rack. I am very sure that it ii noisier now. I would say that it is about 20 to 30% more. But even at this level, it is still much quieter than other SUV I have tested, with the exception of the RX300, X5. I hope that this would help.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    ahossa:
    You said in the previous post that you didn't take the Highlander on the highway, so you're comparing apples (Highlander under 40mph on road) w/ oranges (any SUV on highway)...
    In the C&D test a while back, the X5 was quietest on the highway, followed by ML320, then by RX300 and MDX. The ML320 has *lots* of wind noise once you get over 80mph...it's that big box through wind problem again :-)
  • pd88pd88 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how easy or how difficult to install a roof rack on a MDX base model? Dealers charge $400 - $500, but the A&I Motor sell the "Roof Carrier Kit" for only $135. Is it roof rack? Thanks.
  • mdx1mdx1 Member Posts: 63
    Referenced Post

The FM radio in the MDX is not as good as the one in the RX300 I test drove and is actually worse than my 12 year-old Camry LE's factory radio. The problem is the lack of clarity. But the radio in my '98 Sienna is even worse than the one in the MDX.

On the other hand, I consider the CD sound quality on my Touring MDX to be very good. It played all my CD-Rs flawlessly. My MDX as delivered had a subwoofer rattling problem and was solved after my dealer replaced the subwoofer.

I don't consider myself an audiophile type person (my stereo worthes a lot of less than my MDX!) but I do enjoy good sound when I hear it. My home system consists of a pair of ribbon speakers, a Velodyne sub, a B&W CC6 center channel and a pair a B&W 601 rear surround speakers.
  • kburroweskburrowes Member Posts: 1
    I too have noticed the thud usually when making a right turn. It appears to come from the left wheelwell. I will be taking it in to the dealer this week and will post the results.
  • stewardrobbinsstewardrobbins Member Posts: 41
    It seems to be an Acura pattern that a first year vehicle is noisy. I liked everything about my 1991 Legend except the excessive road noise. Acura put more sound insulation and thicker window glass in Legends in succeeding years. It's a good thing I won't be interested in an MDX for a year or two. I'm sure they'll be quieter by then.
  • ardvarkusardvarkus Member Posts: 90
    There have been 3 or 4 extended explanations on the roof rack install since october. Check the archives.

It requires only hand tools, no drilling or such. Yes, the roof rack you buy from Tim in NY or from A&I is a factory rack without having to waste your time at the dealership. For someone mildly handy, it should be a "push". (By the time you drive to the dealer, drive to work, drive to the dealer, drive home.)

Nobody has posted any problems with an install...

Roof Rack Tirade:
    While the X5 and M roof racks "look" more aerodynamic, and they are- how do you attach anything to them??? Looks like you add cross bars, THEN carrier parts. Once you add the cross bars, noise on the round or square bars goes up (plus an extra few hundred $$$). Plus it starts looking like a lincoln-log deal. I may be wrong, perhaps there is are integrated aerodynamic cross bars not pictured where I'm looking. Being a functional kind of guy, I like the fact that the MDX needs no other fittings or bars to work.

Ard
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    Long term readers and posters here know that I detest traction/stability control systems because they hinder forward progress, whereas VTM-4 and VTM-4/Quaife do not. Take a look at the February 2001 issue of Popular Science, p. 34. Frank Vizard, the author of the piece, says "A long sweeping left turn became a slide, putting the ABS-equipped vehicle [the Highlander] into a snowbank that was the last barrier before a deep ravine. I suppose the moral is that even with an electronic distribution system for braking, auxiliary braking power for emergencies, and skid control, snow sometimes wins. Ironically, the traction-control system--which can't be turned off--kept the vehicle stuck in the snow, right front wheel spinning madly. We pushed it out...I was wishing it was more truck-like...with a more traditional 4WD and better traction."

Transpower
    The same issue of Popular Science has still another story on fuel cell research. Hundreds of millions of dollars are going into this rat hole; heck even Honda is investing here. According to the story, also on p. 34, the tank-to-wheel energy efficiency is around 22% for the latest "breakthrough." Ridiculous. A much more efficient and less expensive method would be a Stirling cycle engine or a Satz engine (modified gas turbine engine in which each mechanism both compresses and expands the working fluid) combined with a CVT. The MDX's 5-speed automatic transmission (transaxle) is super smooth ("silky" in the phrase of the automotive journalists), but it still cannot match the efficiency of a CVT. Get working on it (and the Quaife front differential), MDX engineers.

Transpower
    Ard & others w/ noise problems:
    A few ML folks installed the Thule wind deflector (installs near sunroof front edge on the leading crossbar) and it reduced wind noise up top (you hear it through the sunroof). You guys might want to try that to see if it helps on the MDX.

transpower:
    I'm surprised the Highlander doesn't have a Traction Control disable switch. Both the ML and X5 have it and it's useful for that exact stuck situation. The positive thing about having TC is that adding ESP/DSC/VSC is very cost-effective...just a few sensors and some software. The ideal thing to do is to have a diff lock switch in addition to TC for those times you get stuck in snow (like the MDX lock button), but that would be lots more expensive. It should be interesting to see how Acura adds ESP to their VTM system.
  • CalvinkCalvink Member Posts: 1
    I've traded in my 99 rx300 for the mdx 2wks ago and so far, I think I made a good choice. Major things I like about the mdx over the rx300 are; mdx seems to have a much more solid suspension... less bouncy ride... less body roll..... takes the bumps with more confidence, better feel taking off from a full stop.. more power... less strain, smaller turning diameter, obvious third row seat, about the same gas milage... 19.9 overall (I live in SW florida... mild climate, no warm up, etc..) I've read some people complaining about the stereo system in the base mdx. Compared to the rx300, stereo is pretty good (base model mdx). My other cars are 00TL with 190 watt bose system... not significantly better than the mdx, 96 maxima gle with again bose system... about the same. Wind and road noise is more in the mdx without the roof rack than the rx300... not enough to regret switching to mdx. I'll probably get even more wind noise with the roof rack which I am in the process of putting on.... My wife says without the roof rack, mdx looks too much like a minivan... noise or not, I am putting on the roof rack, maybe even side steps... gives that sporty look. Well, just my 2 cents... Happy motoring...
  • diglessdigless Member Posts: 2
    dkly - thanks for your input. Took my MDX to dealer today (3rd day of ownership - does not bode well). The service guy said it's an "electrical connector". He could not explain what was wrong - whether it was faulty or not installed. Anyway dealer ordered part today - supposed to be in tomorrow. So let's see.
  • zoomazooma Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for returning to provide your update -- my wait is dragging (3.5 months so far -- thru same dealer you used) and starting to wear on me (getting sick of my Explorer), so it was nice to hear the reassurances re maneuverabiity from one who appears to use the MDX as I intend to (carpool, shopping, garage, etc.). At least it got me re-excited about the car (I'm probably one of the gawkers that has been eyeing your MDX in Md.)!
  • staviskystavisky Member Posts: 1
    I am due to receive my MDX with touring package within 3 weeks. While, I have been waiting, I did look at the ML320 and I liked it also. I would like to hear from MDX owners as to whether they recommend that I go through purchase.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    ...well, what did you expect them to say. Sheesh.

The MDX is a fine vehicle. So is the ML320. Make your list of priorities, set your budget.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    ard: Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I had a busy work day today.

Post #1063, last paragraph, is exactly why I would prefer the roof rack that comes with the ML320 rather than Acura's MDX roof rack. A good roof rack design (IMO) has rails mounted on each side mounted in a fore/aft direction, with crossbars that can be adjusted or removed. With this type of design, a driver can remove the crossbars when they are not needed, to make the roofline more aerodynamic. Also, the crossbars would be adjustable fore and aft as needed, depending on the cargo; unlike the MDX. The key item here is that the driver does not have to put up with extra wind drag (and the subsequent additional wind noise) when nothing is hauled on the roof!

I understand you may be an avid skiier and make extensive use of your roof rack, and with the ski attachments, adjustable or removable crossbars are not any concern. But I sincerely think you are not in the majority of all the MDX owners.

By the way, there's no tirade going on as far as I know! But I think there is definitely some mounting evidence that this MDX roof rack adds wind noise. Makes me wonder about some of these people who buy a base model and then want to add the roof rack because they like the "looks".

Any resolution or new info regarding the brake pedal hiss?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    As we all know, I favor stability control systems -- so long as they are well implemented. Well-implemented meaning that 1) you can turn them off for situations like PopSci discussed and 2) that the power cut-off not be too aggressive (through software).

I'm surprised the Highlander doesn't have a way to turn it off for that particular purpose (pulling out of the drift). Either that, or the PopSci writer couldn't find it.

As far as them ending up in the snow drift in the first place, the possibility does exist that WITHOUT traction and stability control, they might have ended up even deeper in the snow drift, or went right through it and into the ravine. As everyone knows, even those systems have limits. Plus Toyota/Lexus are not known for putting good rubber on their vehicles.
    Your post reminds me of something funny I saw at carpoint.msn.com. They have an informal owner survey area there. For the MDX survey, everyone was giving a "9" or a "10" (out of 10) as their opinions of their MDX -- except for one individual who gave it a "1"! He said something about it being the worst vehicle he ever purchased, and he wouldn't wish it upon his worst enemies! Since it was a recent addition to that survey, my guess is that it was a Toyota dealer trying to sell more Highlanders! ;-)
    No, the "tirade" was MY tirade about roof racks, I wasn't refering to any postings!

So, I agree that removable/adjustable cross bars, IF aerodynamic and IF supplied by the manufacturer would be better. SO, do they? That is, if the BMW and ML are "better" then they should have aerodynamic, factory supplied cross bars that can be adjusted fore and aft. Anybody know if they do (Drew?)

And about that avide skiier stuff- yes, but sadly no, I don't get to utilize it near enough! 8-)

Also, given what I've seen of the rack, I'd venture 10 to 20 minutes to remove/install the rack, provided you had a "spare" trim strip to install when the rack was removed.

I guess I like to see apples compared to apples: If ML and BMW have a superior rack, fine, but if they have part of the features (or the start of a superior design ie only side rails) then we ought to compare what you actually can buy.

Also, I'm aware of no aftermarket rack that has side rails- so why would anyone eschew the factory rack for an aftermarket (unless as you point out it is easily removable, in which case it will be god-awful ugly with clips and brackets to get in the door jambs)

Thanks for asking about the brake pedal hiss. No resolution. Acura techs claim there is no fix, and I haven't nailed them down to if it is objectionable or defective.

Actually, my dealer just found the correct washers for the VTM4 drain plug (they claim), and is still awaiting the bumper trim that was damaged when another dealer installed the hitch (in November!).

I think I posted earlier that the washers on the VTM4 drain and fill plugs MUST be replaced per the service manual, and several dealers don't know this (and don't have the parts in stock). When you get yours changed, make certain the parts list for the service includes two washers for that, and one for the engine oil drain plug. These are all deformable metal and should not be reused.

Oh, and the noise of the rack? What noise? I've been driving a F250 Powerstroke Diesel these days....in comparison, the MDX is a church. (except for the brake pedal )

Ard
  • pd88pd88 Member Posts: 2
    ardvarkus: Thanks for your information. I may order the parts and install it by myself.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The ML's roof rails and crossbars (the crossbars are actually OEMed by Thule and are flush on the sides; no bars sticking out of the feet) were aerodynamically designed together when the ML was being developed. Yes, the crossbars are removable as well as completely adjustable fore and aft. The roof rails will also work with a variety of Yakima or Thule attachments/accessories. Here is a side profile of my vehicle:

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Tirade over-

Sounds like the ML has a superior design. I agree that the removable cross bars are best, especially since they don't sound like they hang over. I'd probably just leave the carriers on the cross bar and pop them off.

regrettably, unless an ML rack will bolt to the MDX roof, I can't imagine an aftermarket rack being that slick.

Thanks for the info.

Also, I'd wager that the MDX's roof rack was "aerodynamically designed together when the [MDX] was being developed", that is if you ask Acura and Thule. (Thule is the OEM for the Acura rack accessories.)

Ard
  • jbilbojbilbo Member Posts: 2
    Can anybody share their experience intalling a CD changer (Alpine CHM-S620) under either the driver or passenger seat?
    How hard was it to run the needed wires from the back of the existing stereo to the changer?

Thanks for any info!
    John B.
    Yea, some stuff is just funny... if you read enough of my posts, you know I try to be objective and helpful (most of the time). But sometimes I just can't hold back my sarcasm.

Like I've said before, it's a great SUV/hybrid market out there now. Lot's of good vehicles fitting into different niches. People just have to bite the bullet and do lots of homework and soul-searching before they commit.

MDX is a great vehicle, but it's too wide for my driveway! Made my decision easier ;-)

TC
    Sorry, I thought you had meant that my own posts were a "tirade" because I personally favored not having the MDX roof rack. I agree that we should be appropriately skeptical regarding aftermarket racks.

Thanks again for the info on the VTM4 drain plug washers! I still remember you mentioning that problem in your previous post. I'll contact the service department about 1 week in advance of my fluid change, just to make sure they are aware of it.

I still haven't noticed any brake pedal hiss. Unfortunately, it's sounds like one of those problems that you might have trouble proving anything is defective or beyond normal operational tolerances.
  • mstamsta Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any problems closing their trunk. I have to slam it very hard for it to close. Also the passenger side mirror does not tilt anymore when you put it in reverse. Despite this I still love my Silver MDX
    My MDX does require a firm push to close the hatch all the way. There were a couple instances where I thought I had closed it sufficiently, but the dash light later indicated to me that the door was NOT fully closed. After a couple of these reminders, I finally started remembering to use a little more force to close the rear hatch. But I wouldn't describe it as having to slam it "very hard". For example, my wife doesn't have a problem closing it all the way. If you genuinely need to slam it hard, as opposed to just providing a good, firm push, then I would have your dealer take a look at it. Maybe there is a slight allignment error that could be easily repaired?

As for the mirror, do you have the power mirror selection switch in the proper setting? I don't have the Touring Package, but I believe you need to have the power mirror switch in the middle (off) position in order for the auto tilt-down feature to work? (If I'm wrong about that switch setting, I'm sure somebody here can quickly correct me!)
    MSTA- cotmc is correct, the middle position on the mirror L-R selector switch must be in the center to have the auto-tilt feature work.

If it is in that position, cycle it to L and R a few times to see if it is an intermittant conact issue- if that fixes it, have the dealer replace it.

I too noticed that the hatch needs a firm closure, but NOT a slam. Possibly needs adjusting? I did notice that I had a cargo tray which was a little too far out, and was hitting the hatch door, and preventing it from closing without slamming- I just scooted it in a touch further and it was fine.

Ard
  • weinheimerweinheimer Member Posts: 6
    First of all thanks, ard ... regarding the 2 positions on the cargo cover. Will check this out immediately!!!

Zooma, .... hang in there. You will SO much appreciate your MDX, after the Explorer. Again, I am carpool/soccer/etc...... mom .... and it is filling the bill just great.

One Last "item" ... and I have seen it previously posted. Today, while trying to manually switch from button 4 to 5 on the dash (I've gotten real used to the steering wheel), I noticed that buttons 4 and 5 do not really work. 5 especially. You can get to 4 on FM, using the steering wheel, but that's it. Bummer ..... I was hoping I had escaped this one. When I go in for the 3K oil change suggested (Rosenthal Acura) I'll have this addressed. Again, I really love this guy! If this is it for a first year model, I'll still be very pleased.
  • ucsdtritonucsdtriton Member Posts: 9
    (Hello again always49, mdexed, and kburrowes)

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to get something substantial before I gave another update.

STRANGE THUD SOUND FROM LEFT FRONT... CURED!!!

On Thursday I was asked to come in and reproduce the sound again for another Acura Tech/Mechanic. This time!, I took it out with the Service Advisor and the Tech in the car, and reproduced it almost everytime! It occurs when I slam on the accelerator (previously noticed when only making a right turn, but on the suggestion of the Tech, I tried it just going straight... it THUDDED going straight!). Also the Tech suggested I slam on the brakes... it THUDDED again. Apparently something was "shifting". They were surprised how loud it was. This was not the same sound they were thinking of when they tested the other MDX's just off the truck, this may or may not be an isolated issue, but based on a few members from just this one forum, it's not just me. (always49, our MDXs are only 558 apart, it could be a batch of MDX's or more...)

They used the "chassis ears" again and pinpointed the problem. THE PROBLEM IS UNLUBRICATED/MALLUBRICATED BUSHINGS IN THE LEFT FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM AND SWAY BAR JOINTS. They lubricated it... THUD GONE. (So far so good, I've had it only for a few miles, but canNOT reproduce problem) The service advisor has talked with Acura Engineers that have said they have heard of this problem only a couple of times, Acura should be aware of this problem now. I am hypothesizing that Acura may learn that MDXs will need to have their chassis's lubed during scheduled maintenance check-ups... or not.

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!!

GOOD LUCK FOR ANYONE ENCOUNTERING THIS ISSUE. If anyone's dealer's service department needs help on this issue, they might trying calling mine, Michael Cain at Cush Acura of San Diego, CA - (858) 650-4475. It might save you time, they needed 5 days to diagnose and fix my Baby.

PS - always49, to answer your questions, I'm not "losangshopper", also, when the dealer replaced my right front strut assembly, that was for a separate issue concerning a slight creaking sound I heard coming from the front-right suspension the first night I brought it home. I didn't notice the THUD until later.
    Even though I don't own an MDX, I really like the vehicle. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, ala Ford Excuse.

TC
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    For those who have driven the ML320 (yr2k or 2001) and the MDX, which is quieter on the road. the mdx i drove had more windnoise than expected from an acrua product. HOw about the usability of the seats and the 3rd seat. My m class is going on 53k miles and maybe trade next fall for mdx, but i want "onstar".
  • ucsdtritonucsdtriton Member Posts: 9
    tonychrys: First, I too hope it will not be like a Ford "Excuse", and I'm fairly confident it will not be. For one, I think it is not entirely appropriate to compare the MDX which is the first real SUV for Acura (don't tell me people, I know the MDX is based on the Odyssey, but it is a newer and more complicated beast than the minivan, and the Isuzu disguised SLX doesn't even count) during it's first few months of existence versus the Ford which has been around for years and still managed to be part of the Firestone fiasco among other quality and reliability issues. I went over to a Ford Explorer internet forum once, and it seemed like half the comments were complaints. And, though my problem seemed big, it was just a minor issue of lubricating some joints.

Second, if you can't fit an MDX in your driveway... there are alot more SUV's that won't fit (eg-Lincon Navigator/Ford Expedition, Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX470, Toyota Sequoia, Cadillac Escalade/GMC Denali, and others).

stavisky: YES, you should buy one, and that's coming from someone who's had "problems". Though I did not want to experience any common first year snafus, I did. If I had a choice, and if you do I'd recommend, to wait until the second year, I would have, to avoid any possible teething issues for Acura's MDX. But as my situation was, I had 120k on my old 1994 Montero SR, repairs cost a fortune, my wife could not stand the bumpy ride anymore, and I wanted to sell it before it was worth nothing (I actually sold it for $9k when the dealer only offered me $5,700). I had $40k ($45k out the door) to spend and for that money, in my opinion, the MDX is the best SUV out there right now, even if it's in its first year. Just check out Consumer Reports and other publications, the MB ML320 suffered numerous, numerous first and second year quality control problems, I think the Acura will do much better.

If you don't believe me, ask around... in just the past month - Motor Trend: 2001 SUV of the Year, Car and Driver: #1 in $40k SUV comparo, North American Car Journalist Association (something like that): #1 Truck, and even though the current issue of Automobile picked the X5 as its Mid-Sized SUV All-Star, one of the columnist in the issue wrote up his firm disapproval of that choice and voted for the MDX! (In my opinion the X5 shouldn't even be considered a Midsize when a Honda CRV has more cargo capacity).

Windnoise/Roofrack: The MDX does have some windnoise, but not enough to discourage buying one. I can't say if taking off the roofrack makes a huge difference (I've had mine from the beginning, ala - Touring Package), but I do notice that by just closing the moonroof headliner cover, it noticably cuts down on windnoise.

Which leads me to a question, has anyone installed a front hood air/bug deflector? It's supposed to prevent bugs, dirt, etc. from smashing into your windshield, but it makes me wonder if it displaces enough air around the windshield, roof, and A-pillars to reduce windnoise, if it does, I'm getting one tomorrow.

Gotta Go, HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND ALL!
    Two points:

Ford Excuse = Ford Escape

Though I can't fit an MDX through my narrow gates, I'm picking up a loaded RX300 Nav on Monday for less than the MDX equivalent.

Like I said, still think the MDX is a great vehicle. I wish you luck.

TC
  • woyowoyo Member Posts: 1
    CONGRATULATIONS! to all those who own an Acura MDX SUV .Could anyone please recommend an Acura dealership around San Diego where they have the short waiting list and the best price and good service. Thanks in advance for you help.

woyo
    I know this isn't exactly what you were expecting, but I know of a good dealer a little more than 5 hours east of you that has available MDX's in March: Beaudry Acura in Tucson. The MDX meets 50-state emissions, and so there should be no significant issue with buying out of state. They charge true MSRP, and only install the accessories that you choose, at reasonable prices (last I checked). I can give you more info if you are interested.
    What are the 4 Ford SUV names? I know 3 of them: the Excuse, the Exploder, the Extortion, and...? (Can't think of a good name for the Expedition? "Excavator"? Rhymes with Navigator, and it would likely excavate those gates on your driveway!)

In Saturday's paper, there is an article that says "Quality woes cost Ford $1 bil". CEO Jacques Nasser announced last week that quality problems cost 1 billion dollars in lost profits. In addition to the Exploder problems with Firestone, the article briefly mentioned all the recalls and glitches involving the Excuse SUV and the Focus car. Looks like somebody's annual bonus might be smaller this year!

Remember the Jeep GC Limited? One of our dealers is now offering them for $6,500 below factory INVOICE(!) when leasing them. They are offering GC Laredos for purchase at $19.5K ("beautifully equipped") and also including 0.9% financing. Imagine what last year's GC buyers are thinking when they see this?
  • mdx7mdx7 Member Posts: 3
    Howdy. I live in Dallas, TX and bought my base, no Nav, beige MDX back in November. I paid MSRP with no forced option and one month wait. I also paid for the burlwood shiftnob and wheel locks. The dealership didn't throw in any freebies but I got my MDX in one month as promised. My original plan was to buy the TL and even put down the deposit for it but the guys at Goodson Acura decided to jack me around; so I went and got my deposit back. I went to Mac Churchill in Fort Worth and test drove the MDX and fell in love with it. Bought it from Jack Pace. Since then, I've installed the rear mud guards, 6-disc changer, base carrier kit (roof rack), cargo cover, and the running boards. All were very simple to do, piece of cake. I saved over $650 on the accessories as opposed to buying from the dealership. I didn't get the Touring Package or the Nav because I was already $5k over budget plus I'm a bachelor so the memory seats wouldn't do me any good. I can always switch out the tires when these wear out. It would be nice to have the in-dash 6-disc changer but I can live with it being under the driver seat, plus I can play 7 cds instead of 6. I can always put in new speakers (even better than Bose). I really like the silver and GG color but it's just way too hot during the summer time in Dallas to have a black interior. That's like sitting next to a campfire in hell.

Two weeks after I bought my car, I went shopping at Wal-Mart and parked my MDX way out. Well, some jealous guy decided to take the cart and drive it into the rear passenger door. The jerk left 3 dents. Cost me $90 to remove them. Talk about p o.

So far I have 3200 mi and no major problems, at least none of the problems described here - thank God. The only minor problem I have is the rear wiper. The windshield washer fluid no longer come out in spray pattern but just a stream of water down the middle. Has anyone experienced this or have a solution? I'm bringing her in for the first oil change and will have the dealership take a look at it. Other than that, she's been an absolute dream. Had lots of people looking and making great comments. Especially chics, cool. In fact, I went out to lunch one time with 5 chics in my MDX (all of them were good looking and weigh less than 125#). Talk about a pimp.

Re headlights: I know we can't install Xenon headlights on the 2001 MDX but are there any other bulbs besides the Nokya Pro halogen bulb that was posted here not too long ago? I just want to consider all the alternatives before I go out and buy. I'm looking for the bright, bluish-white bulbs that's not going to be too bright or annoying/distracting to other drivers.

Re installing 6-disc changer: the hardest part was to remove the console from the dashboard without scratching it (dashboard). You will also need a magnetic tip phillip to hang on to the screws to get them back in place. Your fingers will be too big to try placing the screws back in the slots. I just put a little super glue on the tip of the phillip to hold the screws so I can get them back in the slots. Other than that, no problem.

Re wind noise: come on people, I think this issue is being blown way out of proportion. Some of you make it sound like you can't even carry on a conversation in the car. Trust me, I drive over 80 mph with the roof rack and it's not that bad, especially if you have the radio/cd on or talking to someone. If you're one of those that get in the car and don't turn on the radio/cd and stare off into space in total silence, you need to see your doctor and ask for Prozac. One of the post said that he/she would not buy the MDX because of the windnoise. Ppplease. That's like dumping your girlfriend just because she has a small pimple on her face.

No car/suv is perfect. You have to look at the total package/price/reliability/need/build quality or lack of, etc. I'm a city slicker. I spend more than 99% of my time on asphalt. The only time I go offroad is when I'm in an accident. And I don't plan to tow anything. I wanted a cool car/suv that's comfortable to travel in and go on dates. So to me, the MDX is best overall suv for my need. Am I being bias, Duh! My only complaint is the lack of Xenon headlights.

Keep up all the interesting comments, I really enjoy this forum, especially at work :-) Hope to see you fellow MDXs in Big D.
    Remember the JGC Limited? Are you kidding? If you read these boards regularly, I almost bought one. $2000 below INVOICE! They are practically giving these things away. I did further research on the both the Insurance Institute's and Gov't's crash test data and said "no thanks." Plus, no side-airbags for a SUV that was just redesigned in '99? Give me a break. Plus I'll be doing 95% pavement, dry/wet/snow driving and this thing has no active control systems. While Quadra-drive is the best system out there for getting you 'un-stuck', it does nothing for handling. Plus, a solid-axle design is not the best thing for everyday driving.

Chrysler is living in the dark ages when it comes to SUV's. The Durango is a nightmare. They are betting the farm on the Liberty.

Ford... oh geez. I test drove the Excuse two months ago and could have drove off the lot the same day. Talk about cheap and chintzy looking inside. The Exploder was the perfect marketing campaign, but at the expense of everyone's safety. Ford betting the farm on the 2002 model.

Nope, my family's safety comes first even if it costs me more than I wanted to spend. That's why I looked at the MDX, RX300, ML320. MDX too wide for driveway and not readily available. ML320 too expensive once you configure it like a MDX or RX300 (but still one of the safest vehicles around). The RX300 fits for us at this time, got a great price on a really luxurious vehicle, that is highly rated in terms of safety and reliabilty.

Like I said, I'd be happy with either a MDX, RX, or ML. All good vehicles.

TC
    Just don't rollover in your RX300...there's a reason Lexus' copy of the MB "stayin' alive" commercial didn't include rollover testing :-)

I agree about the JGC. One of those testing agencies was saying how all the new SUVs did so much better in crash tests, but then neglected to mention that the JGC was "totally redesigned" a year before their tests a few years ago. I don't know Chrysler does to test their cars, but it's obviously not enough...
    I doubt many cars that cost less than a MB, are structurally designed as good. But the RX300 has a few tricks up it's sleeve in terms of design. The excellent offset crash tests are results of this. I won't go into the details because this an MDX forum.

In terms of rollover, the VSC system should hopefully prevent that due to the minimization of over and under-steer. Though not as good as the ABC system on the ML, it helps.

TC
  • tmccallumtmccallum Member Posts: 1
    MDX 7, you're too funny!

Check out www.acuramdx.org. You will find a lot of good discussion/pics/info on accessories, in particular about headlights that look like the xenon's and where to get'em.

I too am in Dallas and am very close to taking the plunge on an MDX Touring. I really want silver but have been thinking about the hot summers we have here and what the ebony leather would do to my buns!! :-) You happy with beige?

I have visited Goodson Acura on two occasions and don't quite get that 'welcome' feeling I need. Additionally, I got some ridiculous quotes on accessories (40% markup). Maybe I'll make a phone call to Mac Churchill in Ft. Worth.

I've not seen many other MDX's in Dallas. I saw a black one with drive out tags in Grapevine about 2 months ago and then I saw a Mesa beige one fully loaded and all accessories at the post office in Coppell about 2 weeks ago. It was a beauty and I could hardly take my eyes off it. I really like the vehicle and glad to know that I'm not the only single guy out there who digs the MDX.

Oh well, maybe I'll see you tooling around town one day in your baby! Safe driving.
  • always49always49 Member Posts: 29
    Hi ucsdtriton, Thanks a lot for your THUD issue update. Definitely I'll show your mail to the technician when having my MDX checked. I'll also post mine right after I get any successful fix.

One more thing I am still concerned. After the joint is lubricated, the THUD is gone. But is there any damage in the joints? Did the technician check it out? My guess is that after so many times of THUDS - collision, there is possibly some metal (maybe the joints?) shape change.

Have a nice day!
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    It's been discussed by many here already, but Car & Driver's web-site finally has the 7-SUV comparison that the MDX won. Car & Driver Comparo.
    It's a design feature, not a problem; it's supposed to stream, not spray.

Transpower

PS: When you had the five "chicks" in your MDX, I assume you had the smallest one sit in the third row. Was she comfortable all the way back there?
  • ronvoyageronvoyage Member Posts: 2
    I've been thinking about buying a MDX since day one. I went to my local dealer, Neillo Acura in Sacramento and talked to the Sales Manager, Vince and and one of the sales people, Kelly.

Today on January 20th I went back to Neillo and in 30 minutes I agreed on the price, picked a color and set the delivery date. It was so easy.

I don't get it why so many people, especially in the SF Bay area, have all the horror stories about being taken advantage of by the dealer.

The bottom line to me is finding a dealer that is interested in a long-term relationship. When you find that dealer it's no big deal to buy a car, even if it is in demand and hard to find.

I guess the people that own Neillo have empowered their sales team to move cars at fair prices. That's how it is supposed to be, fun to buy a new toy!

Kudos to Neillo Acura in Sacramento for making it easy for me to buy my MDX! I can't want to get behind the wheel in my MDX with the Touring Package.
    Hey Ron

Congrats! You'll love it.

What kind of wait are you looking at? Plus, what is a "fair price" at Niello? What are they doing for options? Any "required"?

As we've been seeing, outside of the major metro areas the dealing is much easier, and almost always MSRP (even with a freebie or two).

I'd be interested to see what the service side of the dealership is at Neillo- I've used Lasher and am quite underwhelmed (spoiled by Infiniti service).

Oh, what color? I'll wave if I see you!

Ard

MB, Touring
    ... that's why I asked if you remembered the Jeep GC Limited! You didn't see the tongue-in-cheek? Although I can't always spell your name correctly, I do remember that you backed out of the GC Limited deal with Carsdirect.com. Smart move! I posted that info to reinforce that you made a smart decision.

Of course, if I were you, I would have widened the driveway and bought the MDX! ;-) As previously posted by a couple Dallas bachelors, the MDX is indeed the chic-mobile, and for a brief period of time this forum was in danger of being non-pc. (Note to tmccallum: Yes, go with beige leather.) But I hesitantly have to admit that I can't argue with your decision, especially considering you bought the RX300 with Nav for less money than a similarly equipped MDX.
    My wife would kill me. Then bring me back to life. Then kill me. Etc...

But I love her anyway ;-)
This discussion has been closed.