Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    I tried to lookup my address using the map tool on excite.com (mapblast) and was able to pull up my address. I tried the same thing with yahoo maps (mapquest) and *could not* find it to the street level. So my earlier message was in error i.e. apparently mapquest and navtech are still out of sync.
    So I am happy again :-) (well sort of ...)
  • Options
    outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    I have a '01 Rex/Nav, and part of my street isn't in the database. We're in a new development that was started about 1.5 years ago, and still isn't officially closed. The "older" half of the street is in there, but it just stops. I did program my home via the location, but when mapping things to/from home, it doesn't take me the right way since it doesn't realize there's a road anywhere near my house. At least it gets me close to home...

FWIW, when I test drove an MDX with Nav, it DID have my address. From what I've been reading, I thought Lexus had a more complete Nav database. In my case, it didn't.

But I did like the Lexus Nav better overall.

-Craig
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I just checked with local dealer, and the RX has only 1 DVD data base available. That is the one with a 2000 date. They could not give any information on when a new one would be released.
  • Options
    He said nav updates come out once a year, and the first 3 updates from Lexus are free (this was all before we purchased the vehicle). He also said that they notify us by mail when the updates are available, although I don't know of I'm going to rely on that.

It seems kinda cooky that it seems the first of three free updates is going to be for the 2001 database (if the yearly update theory holds true), even though our RX's are 2001 models.

FWIW, Acura doesn't include any free updates, and the salesperson said they come out once every three years.

-Craig
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Don't buy an RX just to get the Nav, it SUCKS!

BUt by all means do buy an RX.

The Nav DVD seems to have excellent resolution/definition in major city urban areas but degrades rapidly toward out-lying areas.

Exactly the opposite of what one would think an SUV would need.
  • Options
    I need the Nav MORE in a big city because there are TONS of streets, intersections, one ways, etc. Out in the mid west, there's a road every 10 miles. If you can't figure out the directions there, maybe you shouldn't be driving. :)

-Craig
  • Options
    dr_suvdr_suv Member Posts: 12
    I have been looking around for larger wheels. I was thinking 18 x 7.5 but settle on 17 x 8. Have you installed yours yet ? Any difference in ride ? What kind of tires did you get and where did you get the spacers from ? I would really appreciate your input. I think those cheap looking wheels and $60 GoodYear tires on the RX are the first thing that must go and I want to get my soon.
    thanks
  • Options
    to outrun's wife:

The reason it's a BIG city is because lots of people LIVE there, that means lots of people to ask directions of....

Not true out in the country-side....

Don't have wheels/tires installed yet, maybe today...

Tires are 235/65/17 Michelin cross terrains.
  • Options
    The whole idea about a Nav system is so you don't HAVE to ask for directions at a gas station, etc.

If one is in the middle of no where, I'd assume that they'd get directions in the first place. And it's tough to confuse "take the 2nd left" long a rural road as compared to in the big city, where the 2nd left is a one way going the wrong way.

-Craig
  • Options
    Twice now I have had the Rx Nav fail me in much the same way....

I enter an address out in the country-side and the Nav says "okay, let's go". Somewhere in the middle of the trip it pops up and says, "sorry, I can't help you anymore".

In both cases in examining the DVD map I discovered that there was a discontinuity in the map's coverage, along the path IT CHOSE, between the point of origin and the destination.

I have thus learned that if I am going to rely on the Nav I must first use the system map in close-up mode to carefully examine the chosen path.

Clearly a simple software flaw, BUG, but Lexus customer service doesn't seem (want?) to understand the problem, let alone fix the damn thing.

I guess I'm not really complaining about the lack of resolution, but the fact that it mislead me about its ability to guide me to my destination.
  • Options
    Seeing it from that point of view, I'd be a bit upset as well. That's more of a software bug like you said. The Nav should know up front if it has the ability to guide you the entire way, and not dump you in the middle of nowhere 4 hours down the road. That's actually dangerous.

Hopefully they'll give us some significant updates this and next year.

This is a relatively "new" technology. It's been on CD's for years, but the entire country on a single DVD has been out for only two or three.

I'll cross my fingers...

-Craig
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I think you'll be happy with the RX Nav. The OEM for the unit, Denso, is the only manufacturer that uses a database that is a combination of both the Navtech and Geographic Data Technology data sets.

Read more here:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=105&STORY=/www/story/06-26-2000/0001251915

• Options
    rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    Tony

In early March you indicated you my install backup sensors. I was wondering if you have done this yet. If so, which one did you purchse and what was the installation charge if you did not do it yourself? Are you pleased if you had it installed.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Not yet... getting too backed up with other things. My main priorty right now is getting the exterior protected, it's already beginning to get abused (weather, rock chips, etc.). Waiting for my Zaino order and a sunny weekend.

As soon as I get something installed (the instructions I've seen are easy) I'll let you know. Also refer back to this message for some more info.
  • Options
    Tony, I spoke with a two of the the companies you mentioned on a previous post concerning the backup warnings. The unit listed at the www.poronusa.com site with voice warnings sounded the best at $180.00. You mount it to your bumper, splice into your backup lights and place a small speaker in the back which gives voice warnings. My only concern is getting the wires inside the vehicle from the bumper. The company said just to open one of the rubber greets and you are all set. It sounds easy, but then they say to allow about 1 1/2 hours.

some of the systems only warn you at distances greater than three feet which is not good for parallel parking. this unit warns down to a few inches.

What are you going to protect your car with. My car only has a few thousand miles on it and an inconsiderate person opened their car door hard and left a nice dent recently.

I appreciate all your comments.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Funny (well not for you), I just posted information on paintless dent removal in the Zaino forum.

Protecting my car? Well for the finish I'm going for the Zaino system. For hood protection, as you can tell I've been asking about hood deflectors/protectors. For the front end of the car, probably a A-bar/push bar (not a full brush guard).

To protect the rear bumper from myself, I'm definitely getting a park warning system .
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    autotoys.com sells the Poron as "Mini 1 Talking Backup Sensor", I paid $89.99 last July and also got first time customer promo discount of $10 and faxed order discount of $5 which covered the $14.50 S&H. They also have detailed installation instructions on their website, visit: http://www.autotoys.com
    I found this source through the Edmunds.com Shopping Service.

Pete
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Check mags such as C&D, Automobile,some links of interest:

http://www.tirerack.com/

For factory chrome wheels:

http://www.4chromewheels.com/

For those with deep pockets:

http://www.dazzmotorsports.com/

The last link provides a Lexus L-Sport link, unfortunetly no RX wheel/tire combos yet.

• Options
    teddisteddis Member Posts: 3
    Seen a lot of disgruntled folks on the NAV here so had to comment. Just bought my new Rx300 AWD w/NAV on 4/18 and I love the car.

Overall, I think it's fair to say it's pretty damn good for what it is. Yes, it's a little quirky around the edges, but it's pretty early generation still.

I'm impressed with its ability to quickly recalculate a route (usually under 5 seconds).

But I have noticed a few major problems. It incorrectly wanted me to take a right on a street when it should have told me to turn right onto the 85 fwy south from 237 west! Big mistake. Must be a defective database from NavTech. Same problem on MapQuest/Yahoo. It sometimes gets confused and calculates a terrible (longer) route. Eventually, it corrects itself. But if I had to rely entirely on it, I'm afraid it might lead me astray 5-10% of the time. Just a rough gut feel.

I like the woman's voice, but can get a little annoying when you're listening to the stereo or talking to people in the car or on a cell phone. Yes, it can be turned off.

I very disappointed that it doesn't have the address of the new lot I bought in Tahoe Donner, Truckee, CA. The lot has an address that's been defined since 1971! Again, a NavTech screw-up.

While I understand the need to ensure safety by dimming the buttons/functionality while moving, it's a little too limiting. My wife and I actually hoping for a red light! What a concept. It should allow selecting marked points at least while driving, but doesn't. Entering an address is cumbersome and shouldn't be allowed while moving I suppose.

Another annoying thing (which again is the database) is that we could not find movie theaters in our area (Cupertino, CA)! Not a one! We tried by address, name, category, city. No luck. Major badness.

I'm afraid the upgrade may not fix the software bugs (don't know if the sw is on the DVD or in rom).

Another thing I hate is that when I enter an address, street, city, yada yada, I don't seem to be able to set it as a marked location. Instead, I have to start by creating a marked location. Is this right?

The first screen that appears requiring you to press "I Agree" is so utterly annoying and stupid I cannot believe it. Every morning I have to bow to my car and agree to use its sacred LCD screen. Lexus, if you're listening, please remove this irritating, pointless screen. I agreed when I bought the car!

I'm more annoyed about the lousy trip information Lexus provides than the NAV. It's got some lame MPG after refueling. What the heck is that? I just want to know distance to empty! Where's that?

Anyway, as to someone's comment that Lexus doesn't care about NAV feedback--realize, they are a CAR company, not a consumer electronics or computer company. This has got to be the most advanced feature ever installed in a car--and the first year they've introduced a product like this (right?). So I think we need to give them some slack. But yes, Lexus better wake up and take note of owner feedback whether its car or electronics related if they want to stay ahead. By all accounts, I bet they will. Can't wait for voice recognition which is entirely in the relm of possibility in the next 2 years.

Well, glad I have this forum to rant and rave. The car is a beaut. Hard to complain--until I realize again how much money I spent for it. I could on and on.
  • Options
    teddisteddis Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone else agree that the climate control stinks? I'm so disappointed. It's always turning the AC on and blows cold air even when we want it hotter. So I end up turning off the AC manually. Am I just not waiting long enough for it to work? Seeing the outside temp is nice, but Why can't Lexus display the cockpit temperature? Grrrr--or--Brrrr.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Please note that there is a Reverse warning systems discussion topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board. Some of you may be interested in the comments in there.

Hope thie helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    mrgan78mrgan78 Member Posts: 4
    I currently own a 98 grand cherokee limited..I am thinking to trade in for rx300 or grand cherokee.. the reason? i had accident and the fuel amount i pay every few days is crazy !! rx300 loaded or cherokee 4.0 limited with select trac so i can switch to 2 wheels.. Is that gonna save me some fuel?? The cost of the car comes pretty much 5k cdn difference. I never do offroad driving. Just city driving.. Which car to get?
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    mrgan78

No brainer. Get the RX300.
  • Options
    This question is a joke, right? The vehicles are so different, and intended for different purposes, that without a list of needs and wants there is no way to fairly compare them.

If you're only requirement is good MPG, then the RX wins.

The JGCL is the actual vehicle my wife and I settled on before we bought the RX, I actually had a vehicle on order. After I investigated the crash test data and Chrysler's reputation for BAD quality on this vehicle, I quickly dropped the order. We test drove and researched the Lexus and the rest as they say is history.

If folks want to do comparisons, it helps to have a list of needs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Did you install the unit yourself, was it easy and how well does it work? Were you able to get the wires inside the car easily?
  • Options
    malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    Since there has been much discussion on tires recently, I am reposting one of my prior posts on replacing tires:

Wider Tires follow up: I took in to NTB to see if Michelin LTX/MS 255/65/16 would fit on the original 16" rim. Guess what, it did! The RX looked great; a little higher, wider, and more muscular. However, because I have the front brush guard, the tires did rub against the metal of these gurards on sharp corners. I had to go back to the originals. For those of you who don't have these metal guards, I think it should work fine. No need for the spacers. There is approx 1/2" (front) and 1/4" (back) clearance from the struts. If you decide to get them replaced, don't forget to replace the spare also if you have an AWD. Being an all time four wheel drive,the diameter for all tires must be the same. There is approx 0.7" difference between the two. Also regarding the spare, even though it will fit in the back of the trunk, the cover will not close properly. You may need a velcro, or some other means. It shouldn't rattle, since it is carpeted. It was 2hrs well spent.
  • Options
    No, it is a quite reasonable question since the Jeep existed long before the RX. I was about to buy my third Jeep when I decided to look at the RX. I had serious doubts about trading my Jeep, with solid experience since 87, for what was basically a 2000 FWD (AWD)RX. I can't tell you if I would have been satisfied with the 2000 "AWD" becuase within the year Lexus brought out the 2001 with VSC, Trac, and HID.

I traded up becuase I felt the Trac would give me a close equivalence to the jeeps viscous clutch all wheel torque distribution.
  • Options
    I made an earlier posting wherein I said that adding a 2800 ohm resister in series with the OAT sensor would keep the A/C compressor from turning on automatically below about 45-50F. Adjusting the size of the resistor to about 7,500 ohms would keep the A/C off below about 70F.

Two shortcomings, it cannot be manually turned on without switching the resister out, and the OAT indicator will not be correct, it will always read much lower than actaul OAT.
  • Options
    No, it's not really reasonable if the priorities are unknown. The JGC is an outstanding true off road performer. The RX300 will excel in terms of saftey, road manners, and quality. It'd be nice to have a a vehicle that exceled in all of the above areas, but then you are talking big $$$ (more than $40k).
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    But I think the original question was, as far as I understand it, gas economy and no off-road, that's why I responded, to pick the RX-300.
  • Options
    gpvs, I agree with you 100%, if that's his only criteria. But if gas economy is the main priority then I can think of numerous other vehicles that'll get better MPG than the RX and cost a lot less.

I love these open ended "which SUV is best..." questions. So somebody please tell me which SUV is best so that I can open a dealership and make a fortune. 8-p
  • Options
    The acura MDX equipped with VSC, HID and no Nav.

It doesn't exist, Shame!
  • Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Has anyone else wondered why the 2001 RX300 provides for the child seat to be placed on either side of the rear seat but not the middle? It is WELL known that the middle is the best position for a single child seat, and my '95 ES300 provides a tether anchor there, but NOT the RX300. It has tether anchors on the left or right only! I imagine that it has something to do with the implementation of the new childseat securing system, but it should be in the MIDDLE!!
  • Options
    Being a parent myself, I understand your frustration. But there is new evidence that says the sides are safest, with the reasoning that if the integrity of the seat/anchor was compromised, the seat in front of the child would prevent it from flying into the windshield.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this viewpoint, I'm only offering a different point of view.
  • Options
    tonychrys,

I've been in the MDX groups, and got whacked with the http://www.carseat.org web site, which states that the middle is the best place.

Someone has told me previously that the sides are better for the same reason you just mentioned.

I'm confused now. :(

Do you have any sources that state the sides are better? So far, I've gone from the middle, to side, back to the middle.

Thanks..

-Craig

• Options
    I haven't had time to research it fully yet. I will be honest and admit that we currently have ours on the right side for convenience. I only let my wife do that after I confirmed that the RX has a 5-star rating on the rear-side impact.

I am torn too, because my natural tendency would be to put him in the middle away from the "outside".

If I find out anything significant I'll be sure to post it.

TC
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    You were incorect in your asumption that you cannot go from an address to a "mark point". Try this.
    Enter the address of where you are going to go. The screen will come up with a location and you hit enter. The nav system calculates the route for you. Hit the "start" gooey button and the map will display from where you are sitting. Then scroll the map to the destination with the bulls eye over the pin point of where you are going. When you have it in the bullseye, just hit the "mark" gooey button located at the bottom of the map. You will then have that location as a marked point in your data base. Like wise, if you are at a location you want to mark, just hit the "mark" gooey button at the bottom of the screen and then that will be in your data base as marked point. Careful, the data base will only hold 10 points and will overwrite the oldest. Also, I think you can enter a previous destination while moving, just by hitting dest, previous, then the last 10 destinations will appear. You then can choose any one of those. Try it and see if that works.
  • Options
    mrgan78mrgan78 Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the reply guys
  • Options
    If you ask on the RX300 board these are the responses you'll get.

Now ask the same question on Jeeps board, hmmm!!

These two vehicles are definetly comparable, size/cost/etc.
  • Options
    Not in this lifetime.

Both of my Jeeps were the older boxy style because we felt they had more room than the JGC and thus we were more comfortable.

My 85 Jeep had CV joints all around and then we traded up to the 92. I busted my knuckles several times before realizing that the 92 had been downgraded to U-joints all around.

My 85 had the GM V6, and the 92 has the L6, 190 HP and it never got over 17MPG. My 2001 RX has 220HP and consistently gets over 20MPG on the highway.

Maybe my RX doesn't have the 4WD mechanical features of the JGC, but COMFORT is another story. I would NEVER suggest anyone purchase any Jeep unless true off road performance is required.

Yes, they are priced about equally, but otherwise about as comparable as apples and oranges.

My 92 Jeep is out on a ranch (turned out to pasture) in central Montana (Missouri breaks country) where it belongs.
  • Options
    There is off-roading and then there is OFF-ROADING!

mrgan78 lives in Canada...

I have been in places in Canada, and Alaska, wherein what we here in the states would call "off-road" is the normal "road" conditions.

For instance I wouldn't go anywhere, north of Kamloops say, in the wintertime except in something as "off-road" worthy as a Jeep.

As a matter of fact Cut Bank Montana in the wintertime would also easily fit that criteria. Sorry, we don't have any simple answers for you.

I will say that in the thirteen years I have driven Jeeps here in the Seattle area I always threw in a set of chains in the wintertime, and on three separate occasions, 87, 90, and 95, I actually needed chains on all four wheels to get where I needed to go on normal roadbeds. There was at least one occassion when the AWD mode of the Jeep wouldn't move me and I had to resort to its 4WD mode. I never used nor needed the low gear ranges.

Now in truth I cannot say that the RX wouldn't "go" the same way in the same conditions, but from personal experience I do know that the Jeep would.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    wwest, Kamloops? LOL, I have been there in the winter months in my M-class. Handled just fine :-) I wouldn't do it again though!

Tony, don't forget that the side impact tests are done using a 3500 lbs ram which is car height. Get smacked by a minivan, another SUV, a pickup truck, or anything larger and the results do not apply since you lose the height advantage (which is the only reason why SUVs, minivans, and pickup trucks nearly all get 4 or 5 stars). This is where side impact airbags and a strong structure come in. The speed at which the NHTSA side impact test is conducted is also only 30 mph (I read somewhere that MB runs their internal side impact crash tests at speeds higher than that; 35-40 mph). When someone runs a red light, he/she usually speeding to beat it and as such, the speed can easily be 10-15 mph higher than that. A side impact collision at 40 mph is not pretty, even for a Volvo or Mercedes.

Just food for thought :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Reply to #1729 above, yes I installed myself. Had to experiment with location of sensors. Ending up fabricating two brackets of 1/8" x 1" aluminum flat and mounted those to my trailer hitch so that the sensors are about even with bottom of rear bumper and equally spaced. Ran wiring through an existing grommet near the spare tire cavity. Had to extend sensor wiring, furnished pigtails too short. Used standard RJ11 modular telephone plugs/jacks and cord. Works well.

Pete
  • Options
    Calm down don't get your shorts in a bunch.
    "Not in this lifetime"
    Were you the bus boy at the last supper : )

To many consumers these vehicles make their list along with other such as the BMW X5, MDX, Sante Fe (just kidding). All these are considered mid size SUVs but all offer something different to the buyer. With the question/criteria proposed I would personally agree with "gpvs". My point is simply that if you ask that question here these are the answers you get, ask on the Jeep forum and they'll tell you differently, and probably offer valid arguments in favor of their vehicle of choice.
  • Options
    The thing that "bunches up my shorts" is that I'm willing to be objective (unlike the other religious fanatics on Edmunds) and say don't get the RX if it's not the right vehicle for your criteria. But folks post such simplistic questions/criteria that it becomes very annoying.

On the other hand, people who buy new JGCLs are asking for an intimate relationship with their Chrysler service manager.
  • Options
    tristan2tristan2 Member Posts: 5
    I solved that middle or side issue by having another kid. Now, I have a toddler seat on the passenger side and an infant seat on the driver side. I tried putting the infant seat in the middle, but there was not enough place. It was hard to "click" the infant seat in the base.

Before the second kid, I had the toddler seat in the middle, and attached the tether to both the left and right anchors.
  • Options
    Tristan, you just raised a very good point that dawned on me last night: If you have more than one child, you don't have a choice about putting someone near the door. Do you favor one child more than the other??? Who's more likely to get hurt, the infant in the car seat or an older child without one? What if you have two infants?

So many questions...
  • Options
    From my view point, having two children requires them to be on the left and right. I believe that for the most part, putting one in the middle and one on the side would result in them being too close, risking "clunking heads" in a side impact accident.

I feel the infant in the car seat still risks more injury than an older child, as the muscles in the neck aren't strong enough to prevent the spine from extending beyond what it safely can. I think the spine can extend 1/4" without damage, but the muscles in an infant allows up to 3" or 4". I'm not exactly sure about the figures, but these are pretty close.

An older child would have the muscles necessary to prevent this extension, although whiplash may still occur. But whiplash can heal over time.

I heard that there is legislation going on that would require a child up to 10 years old be in a booster seat since seatbelts for the most part are designed around adults.

-Craig
  • Options
    People who post simplistic questions could quite often be in the beginning of their car buying process. And probably do less research than yourself. Answering questions (some of which are often time repetitive), offering objective statements, and opinions should never be annoying. Most folks do not visit this site every day. Humble yourself occasionally

Now asking for an intimate relationship with Chyrsler service at this point is not feasible. And Lexus is well known for the way they treat their customers.