Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    that people buy these high dollar cars and then worry about an extra $20 for an oil change 2 or 3 times a year. It's cheap insurance to know the oil has been changed by the dealer and it's on file. While I agree it's too bad and ought not be something any of us have to worry about, there's just too much "smoke"(pardon the pun) for there to be no fire. At this point I won't consider anything but letting Lexus do my oil changes with whatever they care to use, be it syn, dino, or cooking oil. If there is a problem, I want it to be there's.
  • outrunoutrun Posts: 539
    Lexus of Norwood wanted over $200 for the 10k service. Bernardi Toyota wanted $38.95 for the factory recommended 10k service.

For over $200, I would expect my oil to be changed, my tires rotated, an hour massage, a 4 course meal of my choice, and a bottle of wine. All I would get would be the first two item, some stale donuts, and a lousy cup of coffee. Oh, and I'd get to watch the news on a cheap big screen TV and surf the web with their dial-up internet connection. Joy.

If Lexus charged, say, $50 instead of $38.95, I would go there. But over $200? No thanks.

And if Toyota were smart, they'd link the Toyota and Lexus databases, so all the records would be available no matter where one went.

-Craig
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I do my own oil changes.

Not to save money, but to be certain its done correctly.

I don't understand why anyone would go back to Jiffy Lube if you can't trust them. That's why I don't go to Lexus or Toyota, they hire those same "gofers", mcD "flippers" as jiffy lube.

Also I don't like getting hasselled each time I go in and have to tell them "no, I only want done just what my Lexus owners manual says needs to be done, and my car doesn't quialify for "rough service"".
  • outrunoutrun Posts: 539
    I called up Toyota and told them what vehicle I have, and what service I wanted (oil change, tire rotation). The guy on the phone was very polite, didn't pressure me into anything, didn't mention anything about a rough service, etc.

Hopefully they'll treat me like a human being when get there, and the service guys aren't ex cons.

-Craig
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    If Lexus was just charging an extra 20 or 30 bucks I would probably pay it. Mainly because they are the providers of the warranty and stand behind their work. I just don't think their work is any better than the quick lubes.
    10k service at my dealer is $100. It's not as much as some others charge, but it is still 5 times as much as I am currently paying. If your math still comes up with $20 difference I have a used car you may be interested in.
  • ctk1ctk1 Posts: 79
    Still wait untill car reach 10,000 miles. It's 9500 miles.
    Get the OEM oil filter at irontod.com cost 5.99 each + .72 for drain plug gasket.You must asking for oil filter PART# 90915-YZZB9. Lexus Norwood charge 12.00 each after 20% discount...damn
    No need for the jack to do oil change.
    Agree with wwest, I change oil for two reasons:
    1.Save the money (Make my wife happy)
    2.Done correctly (I feel safe when wife drive alone with the baby)
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    If I had the knowledge/place to do an oil change, I would do so. Due to lack of a garage, I have to get it done at a dealer.

I am willing to pay a small premium for Lexus service but not willing to pay 4-5 times the amount compared to that charged by Toyota. At my Lexus dealership, oil changes and simple jobs are not done by the service people at the the main shopfloor but some rather inexperienced people, some of which wash the cars too.

When I didnt have a car (at all), I would often wonder at people when I saw S Class/7 Series/Lexus LS etc parked at Costco. Now that I own a Lexus, I think differently. People who own luxury nameplates dont have money to throw away, they just have money to spend on what they deem a good value for money. I spent more for my Lexus because I perceived it to be a good value for my $s. As for the $300 10k service, I dont see any justification for the additional $$$s.

Lexus charges $12 for the oil filter, the same is available for $5 at my Toyota dealership. Go figure.

Senthil
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    In case of a tire flat, the last thing you want to discover is to have a unusable spare. At least if you rotate them every 5/10 miles you know they are in good condition.

All tires must be treated equally, irrrespective of their placement or position ;)

Even if you didnt have the spare tire rotated the first few times, I guess you can start doing so from next time. I am going to do the same

Senthil
  • danrxdanrx Posts: 13
    From all of this Oil-Change talk, it sounds like the Toyota Service Center will be quiet busy from now on.

What is the deal with Warming up the Car ?
    Do you warm-up your RX ?
    I have heard that the ideling is bad, but with all this sludge talk and Short trips running cold

What's the concensus ? Idle, no Idle ???
    The idea is this, if your "typical" trip is not long enough to allow the entire engine, oil, water jacket, etc, to fully and completely warm up to a normal operating temperature, then it would be a good idea to "pre-heat" it so it will.

As the engine warms up any moisture ondensed on the various parts and possibly in the oil itsself will be evaporated or boiled away.
  • My idea of a warmup is to let the engine run for about 20secs. I do wait a little longer in the winter sometimes 2mins, if the temp is below 20. The only reason I wait for a warmup is to allow the oil circulate before starting to drive. This has never cause a problem on any of my cars, that I was aware of.

On tire rotation, maybe I am just fooling myself, but I just have the fronts rotated to the rear. I don't ever rotate the spare, nor use it unless I have a flat. It seems less expensive to just deal with 2 or 4 tires when obtaining new ones then rather than 3 or 5 tires.
  • To the person who was off for 3 days only to see the Lexus trashed, and the resale values plummet... Not to worry, there is no better car for its purpose than the Lexus RX300, (or else why would all of us astute folks have bought one)!

But, one has to complain just to keep the dealers honest, and on their toes. The Caddy dealers always acted like I was made of money when I came in for service. Believe or not the Infiniti dealer was not too bad for the cost of service.

Now for the Lexus dealer, I should not be getting gouged for at least 4 years, unless they get me at the scheduled checkups.

But, the reason I bought a new Lexus versus a used one was the cost of a used Lexus was so high that a new one seemed a better value. There are people getting $28k for a 1999 RX300 in excellent condition. That is outrageous, unless you are the seller!
  • My wife's 1999 Lexus RX 300 had an "oil turning to gel" problem at 67.000 miles. Lexus said it was "failure to maintain problem", denied warranty coverage and said the solution was a new engine, $14,000. After much complaining by me up the chain to Lexus national they said that they would try to clean it, and finally did for $1,300 out of my pocket.

Three weeks ago, at 85,000 miles the engine seized while I was driving. At the dealer they laughed when I suggested it that the "gel" problem was a an engine design error and told me to have my rx300 dead hulk towed off of their lot.

Today the dealer called and said, as matter of good will, they would replace the engine for free. He said a lot of rx300 owners were having a gel problem. It will take 3 to 7 weeks to get the new engine because the demand for replacement rx300 engines is so high.

They did not know I am in the process of preparing a class action law suit for similarly situated Lexus and Toyota owners. The advantage of being a lawyer is that you do not get taken as often.
  • I can't believe this, I picked up my new Lexus RX300 today, because I am so wealthy and all, I was driving home and noticed the stiching on the leather wrapped wheel was uneven in one spot. Oh My Gosh.What should I do?
  • tariktarik Posts: 344
    Interesting behavior on Lexus' part, but every other manufacturer would most likely have acted in a similar way. Please keep the board posted as to the further goings.

As I dropped my Rex off for the 30k service today, the SM explained to me that oil gelling is a result of oil changes being done every 7500 miles. He said that Lexus only shows that much good will because this interval is what they suggest in their manual - they better recognize it as their fault. It also seems that this particular engine design is somewhat sensitive to heat accumulation and therefore prone to sludging.

Tarik
  • tariktarik Posts: 344
    The big pricing guide in my dealer's service hall suggests that a regular 30k service costs $560. When I got the car new, they had supplied me with a dealer-specific booklet listing all necessary services (incl. work done) and their cost. In it, the 30k lists at $490. Before I brought the car in, I compared the 25k ($145) and the 30k write-ups, and whaddaya know - the differences (for $345) are the replacement of:

- transmission fluid
    - differential oil and transfer case oil
    - brake fluid
    - air / fuel filter
    - PCV valve
    - a/c filter
    and the inspection of:
    - engine drive belts (?)
    - drive shaft support bearings (?)

I didn't even have to argue with him about this calculatory dead end before he agrred to $300 for the entire service. I picked up the loaner and off I went. Well, it's still expensive but reassuring in case my engine gives up on me.

Tarik
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    Why is it bad to go synthetic and then switch back to petroleum-based?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Are you going to get your original $1300 back?
    I still have a MY2000 GS300.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I haven't forgotten.

I've been busy with work and haven't had time to call on you. I did think of you a few weeks ago while I was working in Mercer Island, or should I say, "Lexus Island"?

I'll call you before the end of the week and set something up.

Regards,

Brian