Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Isuzu did use a lot of GM parts in the pre 95.5 3.2 engines. But they weren't designed or built by GM. In my '97 rodeo I had a GM radiator, and delphi electronics are in the '97 and my '00 Trooper. The engine itself is Designed and Built by Isuzu, tranny is GM built in France.

-mike
    Is kinda like Mitsubishi, everyone uses them in their vehicles.

-mike
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    I still think it's designed by GM, but I can't find any proof. I just remember (don't ask me from where/when/how/why) that the 3.2 was designed by GM but completely manufactured and tested by Isuzu. GM has had a really long running relationship with Isuzu. Oh well, maybe I'll stumble across the facts one day :) check out this site for some isuzu history

http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isupage/hist/timeline.html
    Yep they do have a long history, I can go with that one. So long as it is built by Isuzu I'm happy. US Automakers make great inovations in products, their execution is the problem.

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Pathfinder folks do a lot of this without double-taxation and seem to have a system working. The big issue seems to be whether corporate honors the warranty across the border (Honda USA, for example, doesn't). I don't know what Isuzu's position is.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Maybe you are thinking of the old V6 that Isuzu use to put in Troopers, the 2.8L. That is definitely a GM engine. I don't think the 3.2L is/was anything but slightly GM, due to GM majority ownership of Isuzu.

Heck, Isuzu designs engines all the time for their commercial trucks, they don't need anybodies help.
    Duramax Diesel Engines are all Isuzu! :)

-mike
    but that's Isuzu diesel, I don't know how proficient Isuzu is with gasoline. While the differences may seem to be minor, they are fairly different from many aspects.
  • speed33speed33 Member Posts: 17
    That sound almost illegal. I hae seen post on Maxima boards about the subjest. If this is true then I will get two. One for the weekend and one for my wife. She loves the look. If there is anybody with further info on Isuzus from Canada I would kill to hear more. Thanx
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    I looked at the GM powertrain site a while back and got confused about the engine, too. It appeared that the Trooper engine might be the same as the 3.5l Oldsmobile engine--I about gagged! They have the same HP and torque ratings. But it turns out the GM engine is undersquare while our Troops are oversquare, so it's definitely NOT the same engine. I think GM had little to do with the Isuzu engine.
    The engine in the Trooper is not a General Motors engine. It was never in any other vehicle other than Isuzu's. I recall from way back when (even before the 3.5) that the 3.2L was designed by GM for Isuzu usage. I know it was built by Isuzu and tested by Isuzu, but I do not know if Isuzu designed it. I don't know if this is correct or not, it's just what I recall from many years back and it is really hard to find any info one way or another since the internet has a way of hiding older information. Any way’s...on to the next topic.
  • ramblinonramblinon Member Posts: 80
    I just don't think GM designed or built this engine. It is ment to go the long haul and back. The tranny is built in France and used in several vehicles. Man, what a strong piece of equipment the tranny is. GM I think is the owner of the tranny?

I also hope that in the forthcoming Trooper replacement there is a non gas version along with the TOD. Imagine that combo. Dare I think of a Isuzu Trooper Wannabee Limited with a diesel engine, TOD, roof rack and a moon roof the size of Cleveland?.

I just plain love my Trooper. I just hope Isuzu/GM doesn't mess around too much with a good thing.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    ramblinon, I think it's too late to hope GM doesn't mess with a good thing (the Trooper). The Trooper replacement, the Ascender, is based on the long-wheelbase version of the Trailblazer/Envoy. It seems very unlikely to me that GM would put significantly different major components (4WD system, engine, etc.) in the Isuzu badged version. There would be no justification for the significant cost increase. Pleasing the few thousand (?) true newer Trooper enthusiasts in the USA is not enough reason.
    You are being generous with the thousand # there :) I'd put it in the 100s probably. The Ascendor may get a diesel option. 4.0l Duramaxs and 5.0l duramaxs are due out for MY04.

-mike
    March 17 Pine Barrens Monthly Trail Ride

Info on a gently off-road experience in the Pine Barrens of Central/Southern NJ. Come on out for a day of adventure, fun, and comradre with fellow SUV/Off-road/Rally/Car Nuts! Info at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

funny, I had "hundreds" and decided that was probably a bit low so I changed to "thousands."
    I think most owners are enthusiasts, but then again that's just me :)
    I don't know about most, but I think the percentages are definitely much higher with Troopers than with most other vehicles on the road. There are certain other vehicles about which you could make the same claim.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I remember driving my 1984 Trooper to the 1991 Detroit Auto Show. There, Isuzu was displaying the prototype for the 1992 Trooper. Next to it was an engine cutaway to view the way it was deigned. Isuzu proudly claimed responsibility for the design and described it as better than any other engine available. Among the standard features is the engine oil water cooler. That day I studied the Engine and the 1992 Trooper prototype and knew that one of those fine driving machines was in my future. It took till 1995 to meet my minimum requirement of 10 years and 200K miles on my 1984 Trooper so I could consider it used. That's when I bought my new 1995 Trooper. It is the first vehicle I ever owned with power windows and power locks and air conditioning. Now my 1995 Trooper is still new (only 120K or so) so I can't trade up to a 2002 model before they stop making them. I hope to get a diesel/hybrid Trooper replacement in 2005/2006. By then I think some will be available. When diesels once agian become popular (I think they will be the prefered SUV hybrid power) Isuzu will grow a lot in popularity. Besides, from a 1995 Trooper to a 2002 Trooper there is not enough diference to justify 20K to make the switch. I think of it as being paid 20K to keep driving my 1995 Trooper. Maybe Troopers don't sell well because they last too long and the people that like them already have one.
    I have heard that the 4L and 5L Isuzu diesels built in the Duramax factory may also power Toyota SUVs someday.
    I have heard Isuzu may be working on a hybrid / diesel SUV similar in size to the Trooper.
    I still hold out hope that in a few years Isuzu will bring back a model called the Trooper. Maybe it will be considered a "retro" car like the VW bug.
    I think the 2003 Trooper was sold to GM to become the Trailbalzer / Envoy / Bravada in mid design. GM influenced it to finish development to look like a GM product. Notice that Isuzu will introduce a new mid size pickup truck and it is based on the same platform as the GM Trailblazer / Envoy / Bravada. It will be an Isuzu rebadged as a GM. That is more evedence that Isuzu designs were taken over.
    Isuzu does not have a model larger than the Ascender. Maybe that will be a huge new thing called Trooper. Maybe it will have the interior space larger than the competition while having better handling and off road ability and longevity like the Trooper. It would fill the nitch lost when GM dicontinues the Astro/Safari in terms of carrying capacity and towing capacity. Ford Aerostar was the only other competiton for that nitch. The Astro/Safari also has a following like the Trooper. Did you know they once built the Astro with a stick shift? Part of the definition of this nitch is to fit in a garage that won't hold a Suburban and tow 5000# and have a huge interior capacity. Now do all that powered by a straight 5 cylinder 4L Isuzu diesel with hybrid technology on the torque converter so it can shut off in stop and go traffic and the batteries could be ballast to keep the center of gravity low and there could be 120VAC/22VAC power outlets for providing electrcal power on the trail and emergency power for the house and Isuzu will have a huge following of fleets that need the power and space and families that need to carry people and tow a camper on on on .....
    I'll stop now.
    boxtrooper
    as we know it will not be in business in 5 years. Sorry to say, but basically Isuzu will be either completely out of the SUV buisness or they will be rebadge GM models. GM will use Isuzu to design their SUVs, but unfortunately they will be built by GM which means that reliability and fit-finish will be questionable at best. Isuzu will also further develop Diesel technology and be a major player in the Mid-sized Truck end of business.

No retro Trooper

It's a sad day but what can you do...

-mike
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    I was recently looking at the Envoy, and I really didn't like it all that much personally. But the sales guy was adamant that the aluminum inline-6 used in the GM triplets was designed by Isuzu. I'll see if I can find more information about that. Although some concern over the initial build-quality, the power of that engine is one of the key selling points for the GM triplets (Envoy, Trailblazer, Bravada). Looking at the GM website I see the term "global resources" that could indicate Isuzu involvement.
    Ron Kociba, Chief Engineer, Truck In-line Engines, GM Powertrain. "By using our global resources, our team set out to build an engine that would demonstrate its outstanding capabilities in extreme conditions and the results have been outstanding."
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    I also saw for 2002 that there is a "rear spoiler" option for US Troopers. Since I couldn't find a reference to it in the US site or in brochures, I saw this pic in the Japan Isuzu site and thought I'd include it.

The straight six in the Trailblazer is a relative of the straight 4 that is used in Opels in Europe and in the larger Saturn cars. I would like to think that Isuzu had something to do with that design, but I doubt it.
    They tricked out that straight six for racing and got it up to 650 Hp...
    I heard that the Isuzu Ascender will be powered by a V8. I wonder if it will be a GM V8 or an Isuzu V8. Nice if it is a V8 version of that same straight six in the Trailblazer, that would make it a very powerful V8. V6 * 1.333 = V8 so 275Hp * 1.333 = 367 Hp.
  • ramblinonramblinon Member Posts: 80
    described in several reports is interesting. I just about spilled beer all over my face when I pulled up the Edmunds Mercedes Benz New Car page and looked at the Mercedes Benz G Class Lux SUV.
    At $75,000 it has just about everything including looking like a close relative of the Trooper. It is truly a Box. I also bet it will go darn near anywhere a human would dear to tread.

Edmunds does say it may appear as outdated to some. It is a brand new MB Model. Some people do care about true SUVism and the form follows function is evident to me. Damn I love it. Now where do I get the $75,000.

I strongly believe if people had just sat in a Trooper let alone actually drove it we would not have been in the position. I cancelled my subscription to Consumer Reports just prior to buying my 2001 Trooper Limited.

I just plain love this truck.
  • marty2marty2 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 00 trooper s with 13500 miles,use this suv to carry plumbing tools and fittings. Lately when I start out from a red light there is a thud sound, ether from the drivetrain or the front end. It dosen't to it when I have the dealer with me (demonstrated in the auto lot).Has any one had this problem??Thanks in advance Marty
    It will not have a V8, unless the EXT versions of the Envoy and trailblazer get it. If they do it will be the 4.6l V8 engine used in the Yukon, nothing bigger would fit in the engine compartment. It will not be an Isuzu engine.

-mike
  • kjmcgirlkjmcgirl Member Posts: 12
    Hi all,

I'm beginning the process of looking for a roof rack for the trooper and want to use the existing predrilled holes I've read about. (I have a 2001 S)

Is there any trick to getting the roof trim piece off without breaking the plastic brackets holding it on? I'd rather hear from someone who has done this before I accidentally start breaking any plastic tabs. Thanks I'll post pictures as this project continues.

-Kevin
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    yeah, go to a carwash, any kind, and they'll come right off, mine do. :) seriously, though, they do, and, that being the case, my plastic fasteners/snaps/brackets have never broken, I just pop them back in place. Give one end a good tug, and I'll bet (no guarantees) that you'll have no problems.

Jim
  • jeff177jeff177 Member Posts: 3
    Have a 98 Trooper that I believe needs new shocks (bangs when I go over rail road tracks, etc.) I tow a camper that weighs about 2500 lbs., 200 lb. tongue weight. Any recommendations?
    Thanks to all.
  • kjmcgirlkjmcgirl Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Jim,

Thats what I thought, but I just wanted to hear from someone who has been there. If all else fails I'll try the car wash approach :)

-Kevin
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    As far as I'm concerned the Trooper needed new shocks from the day I bought it - 2001 LS. Followed the posts here and decided to install Rancho 5000 - gas shocks. Heck of an improvement. Got them at Sears - had to be ordered - and needed to tell the salesman to order for a 2000 Trooper since there data base did not reflect 2001's. Some of the members here like the Rancho 9000 which are adjustable - thats your choice but either one completely changes the handling of the Trooper. Mine were $56 ea but I have seen them on sale for $37. Good Luck.
    I put on the OME shoocks and springs. I took off Tokico shocks that were still in good shape. The OME shocks are a little softer initially but get real stiff with more /faster travel. The OME springs make the Trooper feel less heavy and more ready to go, more like it wants to be driven. I added poly sway bar bushings too and they are nice, but make sure your tires are very well balanced because you'll feel it more in the steering. I tow 4000# regulartily.
    boxtrooper
    I have the Rancho 9000s. Great shocks. I tow 3500 and 5200 on a regular basis. The shocks helped. Also while you are at it for $120 you might as well add the OME Coil Springs for the rear, they made a big difference for towing. I don't hit the bump stops anymore. I got the 9000s for $65ish from hot-rodoffroad. There is a link on http://isuzu-suvs.com I like the adjustability of the 9000s especially for towing, I can firm up the rear shocks when towing, and drop em down when I'm not. Also depending on who's riding in the car I can adjust them (parents, girlfriend I put em on 1 or 2 aka Lincoln ride for spirited driving or off-roading I put em on 4 or 5)

-mike

paisan, you said "4.6L V8". I don't know which engine you are talking about. I didn't think GM made a V8 with that displacement. Isn't the base V8 in the Yukon/XL/Suburban a 5.3L?

I agree that it won't be an Isuzu engine. A V8 would be a new engine for Isuzu, and I don't see Isuzu building any more NEW consumer vehicle engines with a USA appeal at this point.
    The std. Yukon engine is a 4.8l V8, thought it was 4.6. The 5.3 is optional. The XL, Denali and Suburban and Tahoe get the 5.3, 6.0 and 8.1l engines. I was un-amused by the 4.8l Yukon I drove last spring.

-mike
  • cknottcknott Member Posts: 61
    According to an article listed in the Trailblazer forum, the Trailblazer EXT and the Envoy XL will get an all aluminum 5.3 liter V8 option this fall. This is a GM engine. As a result, it is very likely that this motor will be in the Isuzu Ascender.
    I guess they will really be cramming it in there cause the i6 is already shoved in there pretty deep.

The reason is probably so that the Bravada which is destin to become a Caddy next year will also get it.

The Assender will probably get that option as well. The I6 though is more than powerful enough, the problem is with the rest of the vehicle falling apart and the lack of a good 4wd system.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Another vote for the OME's. They are great on and even better off-road. I have a bull bar, the new shocks really helped handle the additional front end weight. Not as much nose dive, not as much back and forth sway in corners. Off-road they handle a pounding and keep going. I have used them bouncing over rough terrain all day, with no appreciable fade. The stockers would be all but useless after a 1/2 hour in the same conditions.
    I just got back from upstate NY. I took the roof rack off to try to improve mileage as a test. I got over 18 all highway, about 16 overall. Love the ride of truck on the highway, but there is a fair amount of road noise in the cabin. Not the worst, but not a lexus either.

I was amazed at how good it felt at 80. I got up to 90-95 for a short bit, overall very smooth at higher speeds, mostly kept the cruise set at 75.
    This weekend I think there was like 50mph crosswinds on Sunday and today so you may have gotten an un-fair high wind-noise quotient.

-mike
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    The 4.8 you refer to has the same outside dimensions as the 5.3, and 5.7 and maybe even the 6.0 (not sure if it is a small block too). All these engines are created from the GM small block casting. The displacement variances are a result of bore of each cylinder and stroke of the crank shaft. The I6 is narrower but taller than the V8 so depth of the engine bay is not as big a problem as the width. There is no doubt that a V8 will fit in these trucks as they a larger thant the Blazer they replaced which easily accomodate a small block with a/c and power steering.
  • cknottcknott Member Posts: 61
    Yeah, lets talk about these crosswinds. My wife and I traveled back from Maine to Georgia on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday evening and Sunday, we were travelling South on I-81 from Pennsylvania through Virginia. The crosswinds were definitely a consistent 50MPH. We went to a Walmart Saturday night in Hagerstown, Maryland. In their parking lot they utilize steel structures to contain the shopping carts. These structures and the shopping carts were being blown across the parking lot at a relatively high rate of speed, considering the fact that they are not supposed to move at all. We didn't see any hit a car, it was after midnight, but if they did there would surely be a dent, not a ding.
    I came down I-81. That was nothing. We started down I390 in NY...there were white outs, so bad, after about 45 minutes on our way we had to turn around and go 90 to 81, the state police closed the highway. I usually like to take the southern tier, route 17. The wind didn't effect the Trooper too much, no more than other cars on the road, or so it seemed. Depending on where you get on I81, Marathon NY exit has really good pizza, 1 or 2 exits north of binghamton.
  • 99trooper99trooper Member Posts: 87
    Hi all...

I just called Covert Isuzu in Austin, TX and they quoted $700 for the 30k service (4 wheel drive). This is VERY high! What price is everyone else paying?

thanks...
  • ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    That is way out of line! Most folks here are being quoted 300-350

Now some basics which need to be done:

Repack front wheel bearings
    Replace tranny fluid
    (NOTE* my dealer will charge me about 140.00 to do the above two, and I will do the rest myself)
    Replace front and rear diffy fluid
    Replace 4x4 actuator fluid
    New fuel filter
    New Power steering fluid
    Bleed brakes
    Change Antifreeze
    lube body points
    replace drive belt (NOT timing belt)
    Replace Air filter
    Replace oil and filter
    and then there is a bunch of checks: exhaust, brakes, fuel lines, water hoses.

So if you do most of the above yourself your looking at no more then 170.00 in parts.

Also Jiffy Boob will charge you about 150.00 to change your tranny, diffs and actuator, which are the main important things to have done.
    -Ryan
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    It cost me $568.44 for 30k service on my 1999 Trooper 4x4.

Am noting that gas milage has improved slighly after the 30k service.
    I'm not even doing that stuff. Most of the 30K service is "check" not "replace" stuff I will do for 30K service @ 40K:

Re-pack Wheel Bearings
    ATF -> Redline Synthetic
    Diffys -> Redline
    TOD ->Redline
    T-case ->Redline
    steering check
    brake fluid-> Redline
    PS fluid ->Redline

-mike
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    In December my wife and I drove into Western Maryland on - oh, hell, I think it's I-68. The crosswinds were awful and were blowing me all over the road. I wish I could say the truck felt stable.

I have heard, though, that this kind of handling issue can be due to the front end alignment of the vehicle (if it's not well aligned, the crosswinds will affect you a lot more). I'm hoping that's it.
    We are driving vehicles with the side-ways cross section of a brick wall. Don't forget our trucks are pretty square at the top, not tapered like 95% of the other SUVs on the market. This gives us lots of Utlity. If I have to drive a bit slower in the wind to have utility the rest of the time, so-be-it.

-mike