Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    It's great to hear you sort out the problem without the dealers "help".

I have made it a habit of switching into 4WD when I drive on the dirt roads at our lake cabin, and of course I use 4WD quite a bit during the winter, so hopefully I won't have the same problem...of course with the road salt and corrosion, who knows.
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    I noticed a smell from mine a few weeks ago, too, but I never stopped to explore it. It was when I was backing my trailer up the driveway in 4 low on ice/snow... wasn't pretty. Anyway, I'll have to crawl under there and look...
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Great explanation of the problem and the fix. My trusted mechanic told me last year to make sure and switch the TOD occasionally so it wouldn't get stuck. He said he has replaced a bunch of those switches on Troopers that are left on 2WD most of the time. I am happy to hear that he was right on the money with his advise and gives me more confidence in his work going into the furture since he is not part of the Isuzu network.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    I had about that same problem with the SOFT on my 97' Trooper. Back then they didn't have the button on the dash, the SIFT was activated by the lever on the floor. One of the 2 solenoids on my unit failed in the 2WD position and would not move when voltage was applied. I did some of the same things, but without eventual success. I had to replace the SOFT unit (you can't get a single solenoid alone) and the unit cost $125 from St. Charles. I still have the GOOD solenoid from the unit for future use if necessary.

Great write-up of your testing, by the way. I'm curious, when you 1st tested that suspect solenoid, could you hear it SNAP when you applied voltage to it? I could never get mine un-stuck enough to get any movement or a snapping sound. You are right about all those hoses coming to the SOFT. Its quite tricky to figure out what ISUZU was doing, much like a spiderweb.

Happy Trooping !!!
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Its amazing how much better handling improves after about a 100 miles on a new set of tires. When my 255/70/16 Bridgestones were brand new, they felt kinda lead footed. Now these tires seem to handle much better than anytime I can remember my Trooper handling. I don't recall this dramatic a difference in any other vehicle I have owned. Anyone with similar experience with new tires?
  • chporterchporter Member Posts: 8
    bsmart1: yes, my solenoid definitely made that 'snap' sound when hit with the 12 volts from the battery, but the opening and closing of the switch still didn't allow any air to pull through the metered takeoff on the switch. That's what the degunking accomplished,I guess.

For those that haven't inspected their SOTF unit. (say that with a straight face) you'll find that such vacuum solenoid switches actually have air passing through them at all times. In theory this keeps them from gunking up. When power is supplied to the solenoid, it snaps open access to what must be a very tiny internal hole that puts vacuum on the shift mechanism diaphram through the third outlet on the switch. It's that tiny hole that got clogged on my 99 unit. Just doing the gentle reaming and the carb cleaner job on it did make the resulting 'snap' a bit louder, so it was definitely getting sticky. On first install it inconsistently brought the truck into 4WD. That's when we decided to try the carb cleaner and that seems to have done the trick, opening the hole up to spec, I theorize.

Craig
  • chporterchporter Member Posts: 8
    I ignored the original Bridgestones on my 99 Trooper long enough that they started cupping on the inside edges (fronts) and so had a pretty bad ride before I got religion about rotating the tires. I replace the Duelers with Michelin CrossTerrains and absolutely love them. They're pricey, so I'm certainly rotating them regularly at ~5000 miles. An incredibly smooth ride on the road, and great for the two tracking I do in northern Michigan.

I didn't notice any particular break-in period with the very supple Michelins but can certainly believe that there can be such a period with certain tire models.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    We have seen the same thing on my Trooper and my wife's Silhouette. Tires make a huge difference in ride and handling. We bought a new Silhouette (with sport suspension as much as that can apply to a minivan) in 2002 and one of the factory tires was so bad it could not be balanced. We were about to take a trip and for some reason the Silhouette dealer had to order the replacement tire, so, since we know about the difference good tires make we went ahead and swapped out the entire factory tire set for a good set of Michelin Pilot XGT-H4 if I recall the numbers corectly. The wife was very happy. I got some trade in money for the factory tires with only 19 miles on them and delivered the dealer replacement tire for trade still in the wrapper.
    I have the Bridgestone Dueler tires on the Trooper because of their softer rubber underneath feature which attempts to maintain traction as the tread wears by exposing grippier rubber. I have had a set of Dueler H/L and now have a set of Dueler AT Revo because I like the idea of deaper tread for not getting stuck. My Firestone dealer recommends rotating the Revos every 3000 miles to be extra careful about keeping them quiet.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    I also had the same rear diff leak on my 98 Troop that I think many of you have described here recently. The leak is on the front side of the rear diff where the driveshaft connects. Could see fluid flung onto the underside of the body. Could also smell the fluid occasionally after a drive. Turned out to be the pinion seal. Was repaired by a dealer under the 60k drivetrain warranty. Given the number of reports here, I would suggest that everyone check this if you still have warranty left. I also had a leak at the xfer case where the front driveshaft connects. I'm glad I got these fixed under warranty, since I only have about 1 month left!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    not covered on the powertrain warranty. Just an FYI....

-mike
    under the powertrain warranty...the TOD unit, the fuel pressure regulator...I'm not surprised the SOTF unit isn't covered either.
    The TOD unit is covered (the transfer case portion) IIRC.

My extended warranty has already paid for 1/2 it's value and I only have 513 miles into that warranty! :)

-mike
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    From Autoweek regarding the NY Auto Show...

ISUZU

Isuzu will make three announcements. The first is expected to be the unveiling of the Rodeo replacement, which will debut as a 2004 model. The company also will introduce engine technology that will be available for the 2004 model year and discuss an SUV that will bow for the 2006 model year.

That last sentence is interesting. I hope it's the big one we heard about and not a small SUV.

Jim
    NY show...

What we'll see is:

1) Rodeo 2004 = Trailblazer SWB
    2) Diesel Engines Available
    3) Trooper 2006 = http://motioncars.com/autobuzz/articles30/2003_isuzu_adventure_ma- ster.html

-mike
    Well, I guess 2) and 3) out of three ain't bad...

Sigh. Another GM clone. The Rodeo chassis has got to be easyand cheap to build. Why another clone? Why why why?
  • leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    I hope it looks better in person.
    I think it looks pretty good. At least the approach/departure angles look to be a huge improvement over Ascender, for those of us who actually go off road.
    I can't find transfer case listed anywhere on the "What is Covered" list. The "transmission case and internal parts" are listed, but NOT the transfer case. (this is for 1999 models)
    After dealing with Isuzu customer service several times on another item I wanted to get warranties (the wiper arm lower portion) and finding out there is 1 person who answers the phone at Isuzu customer service for the NE and 1 guy answering the general #. I've pretty much given up on Isuzu vehicles. They were extremely rude, after I asked them to open a case and I'd like to meet with the rep for the area, they blatantly said "nope, we don't do that, you are SOL". They are great vehicles, but they have the worst customer service. Makes me sick to even own one. But deep down I know they are great trucks so luckily I don't need warranty work done often.

My wrap around service plan from warrantydirect.com is covering the SOTF and seal problem.

ARGGGGGGG.

-mike
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    If you get the outdoor channel http://www.stconnection.com/Show_Schedule.htm
    and want to see a TV article on the 2002 ARB project Trooper, it's in the first 10 min. of the show.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I agree, it is difficult to get too much warranty service done. I have found a shop that will do it, but I have to drive 30 minutes and it always takes more than 1 trip...once to diagnose and then 2 weeks for the part and then another for the repair. Though they still sell and service them...for now.

I have called the 800 number to review issues and have gotten the same thing...I think the guys name is Derek? He told me "Don't call here everytime you have a problem with a repair, go back to the dealer first."

I love my truck, but will almost be happier when the warranty is gone and I have to just "live with" some of the minor things.
    Is great, they are dead on balls with their diagnostics, but the problem is with Isuzu and their warranty policy. I know the dealership's hands are tied as far as whats covered and what's not.

How far are you from flemington Isuzu? They have an awsome rep, you might try them. I use Open Road in Edison.

-mike
    over 1 hour and highway miles. Not quite a trip with wife/kids in tow that I can make.

I only have one annoyance right now...There is slack in the steering that I can feel when I turn left or right. I had the steering column replaced last year because there was wear in the column coupling, but they didn't replace the worm gear. I am going to get it up on jacks this weekend and check tie rods etc and then try the steering gear adjustment listed on planetisuzoo.

They tell me play/slop is "normal"...normal or not I want it fixed, so I am going to try to adjust it myself and then if that doesn't work ask to have the steering gearbox replaced...they said they would if I kept having trouble...the main issue is going back and forth, so an attempt to do it myself seems warranted.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/88
    hard/easy it is to make that adjustment. I would like to tighten mine up a bit too.

-mike
    What do you notice? I can feel a very small click sometimes when I turn left to right or right to left...or all the time if I wiggle it back and forth on center.

After reading the article and doing some research it seems like I have slack in the ball bearings in the steering gear, not a problem with gear contact. I am not sure, but I think the adjustment just pushes the gears together or apart depending on the adjustment, not any slack in the bearings? But it seems like an easy thing to try first.
    have a not as tight as new feeling in the wheel.

I may get a stabilizer shock when I go with the 285-75/ 33" tires.

-mike
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Someone made a comment about Paisan's expensive bulbs, so I'd like to present you with an excellent alternative. I replaced mine almost a year ago with a pair of Japanese-made 9004 MTEC found on ebay for $20-$25. They're very durable, very bright (not blinding though) and for the price, are the best ones out there...
    I have the same slight "click" feel when turning right or left. It's been there since my truck was new in '99. I was worried that with age the problem would grow, but at 90K it has remained the same.
    With our Troopers getting older by the day, I have a question for some of the regular posters on this board.

What is on your short list(top three)as a replacement for your Trooper when the time comes?
    There is nothing that can replace the Trooper.

When the time comes, I'll replace it with something smaller that gets better gas mileage that's still 4WD. Subaru Outback or Forester is high on my list.

And I don't like the feeling on this board over the last week or so... like someone gut-punched everyone. Is it just the realization that Isuzu is not treating an orphan vehicle as well as they might? And that the Isuzu dealerships are disappearing and selling mostly Chevys?
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    My wife called me yesterday morning said my trooper's check engine life went on. (Yes, my wife is driving it, I bought the Trooper and my wife took it and let me drive her Toyota). In the afternoon, she called me again, said the light was off on her way back home. She commutes 50 mile round-way. The truck rounds good. I think know what happened. The only possible reason maybe: we had emission test the day before. Any similar experience?
    A few weeks ago my CE light went on for about 2 days, then went off and I haven't had it since...so I don't worry about it. It is generally pollution control related (as opposed to something that would blow up your engine). Sometimes you just need to tighten the gas cap.
  • cknottcknott Member Posts: 61
    Well,

To the extent that people feel pain, a combination of events have caused many Isuzu loyalists to doubt their loyalty. To begin with, many Isuzu owners have various issues with Isuzu dealers and their response to the owner's complaints. This is probably typical of most dealerships independent of the manufacturer, but nonetheless it is taken personally. Secondly, many Isuzu dealerships, perceiving a slipping fate to Isuzu in North America are dropping the Isuzu nameplate and/or rejecting warranty claims based on a probability that Isuzu may not reimburse them for the claims. Third, many folks have been die-hard long term Isuzu loyalists based on Isuzu's quality from the late 80's to mid 90's. During this time period, sales and profits were strong for Isuzu. When sales and profits drop off, one of the first manufacturing attributes to go is quality control. As a result, I too question the long term durability of the more recent Isuzu's. The only fact that attempts to restore my confidence is the fact that Troopers are made in Japan where quality control is intregrated in the foundation of all manufacturing systems. Fourth, the recent economic down turn along with major incentives for new vehicles have substantially impacted used car values. Therefore, Troopers have suffered major depreciation. In conclusion, many Trooper owners are not able to appreciate the long warranty because either there is no dealer reasonably available or the dealer will not recognize the warranty claim and without the dealer support, the Trooper owners want to unload the vehicle, but since the depreciation has hit the vehicle so hard, the owners can't afford to unload the vehicle. This results in Trooper owners who are tense and sometimes express this tension on this board.

I personally have been lucky. My 99 Trooper S model here in Georgia has treated me well.

Replacement Vehicle, Next Vehicle(Actually, I do not intend to replace the Trooper, I plan to keep it.):

2001~2002 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 4wd
    2001~2002 GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton 4wd
    maybe 2001~2002 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 4wd

Chad
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    In spite of what may be happening to Isuzu, I bought a used 2000 Trooper Limited yesterday for under $11k. It has over 70k miles, but it was in great shape and well taken care of. I had rented one from Avis 2 years ago and drove it on the beaches of the Outer Banks. I like the size, seating, the sunroof, ground clearance, no-nonsense looks, etc.

I'm not planning on relying on the dealer body, since I have an excellent independent mechanic who can work on anything.

Question for you guys: I want to put a roofrack on. What do you recommend? I like to kayak, so I have the H20 system from Thule, but I need new crossbars and feet. Looks like it will only go in the doors, which don't thrill me because the cross bars would be so far forward on the vehicle. I noticed that a few troopers have had racks, are they built into the plastic rain gutters? Are they made by Yakima?

Any help is appreciated.

Tim
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    I had the Check Engine light come on once because I did not screw on the gas cap properly. Evidentually there is a pressure sensor in the gas tank that the computer monitors and will flash on the CE light when pressure is not acceptable. I took my Trooper immediately to the dealer whereupon the first thing he checked as the Gas Cap and simply reseated the cap. The service technician said he would reset the computer but that if I just drive it a while the CE light will go off.
  • quickstepquickstep Member Posts: 12
    I want to check the fluid level in the SOTF unit on my 02 trooper S. There is no mention in the manual about which weight of differential oil to use to top off or replace. I live in Massachusetts and don't expect it to be hotter than 95 degrees F. this summer. Also, I have 15,000 miles and I am the second owner. The vehicle pulls out very smoothly with a light foot on the gas with a nice engine hum. However if I step on the gas, I get a much louder and heavier engine sound, almost slightly sounding like there might be a exhaust leak, i.e. a small hole in the muffler. The sound quiets down after the next gear shift. Does this sound like I may need the valves adjusted, or has anyone had early muffler problems?
    Thanks sdc2 for your input on TOD and diff oil changes. This is a wonderful forum!
    My post will be mainly to pacify you until someone else with more knowledge comes along...

Several people here have created mounting points for other rack systems by utilizing a four (?) nuts that are welded into the roof underneath the plastic strips that run the length of the roof on each side. I think they fabricated their own brackets. I didn't do a search, but you might, and see if anything jumps out at you, otherwise someone with chime in soon, I'm sure.

Congrats on the purchase. I have a 1998 4WD S, and am always keeping my eye out for a Limited.

Jim
    #7381 of 7600 re: rack by sbcooke Mar 17, 2003 (6:14 pm)
    I use an aftermarket Thule Rack and am very happy with it.

There are holes along the roof rails of the truck under the rubber weatherstripping (theory is that these holes are what are used to move the body into position during manufacturing). There are sets of 2 in the front, 2 in the middle and 2 in the back. I have not seen them but apparently they are small threaded bolt holes covered with masking tape. Someone on this forum posted attaching rack braces into these and then 3 Thule bars across. This would be one way to create a super strong permanent rack.

I prefer the options of the removable Thule system. I have no issues with it. I added a fairing which decreases noise, but also seems to drop the mileage about 1 MPG on the highway.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
    #7382 of 7600 Here is a nice rack by paisan Mar 17, 2003 (6:27 pm)
    http://planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/98

-mike

Roof Rack my 2nd generation Thule - Overlander by boxtrooper Mar 18, 2003 (10:11 am)
    In the next few weeks I am going to change from my 3 Thule crossbars bolted directly on 3 pairs of Overlander brackets to a new system that lets me adjust the cross bar length and spacing. Here is what I will do:
    1.) Remove all 3 existing Thule crossbars
    2.) Get two 78 inch Thule crossbars
    3.) drill holes in one side of the 78 inch bars that allow it to be bolted down to 3 overlander brackets front to back direction on the Trooper.
    4.) get some stainless spring back slot track 5/16 nuts and slide them down inside the 78 inch cross bars such that the springs hold them in place above each hole. These are available at www.mcmaster.com or any industrial supply.
    5.) shorten two of my old Thule crossbars to fit under and inside the rear two Overlander brackets and drill the current one side holes all the way through for the rear two Overlander brackets.
    6.) get some black 3M 5200 sealant
    7.) get some fender washers
    8.) get some 1.5 inch long stainless high strength bolts
    9.) bolt through the shortenned under crossbars and into the nuts inside the 78 inch lenghtwise bars.
    10.) get a Thule bar to OEM roof rack adapter set which is very strong and another set of top crossbars and clamp them on when needed.
    The results: The shortenned Thule cross bars under the Overlander brackets make the roof rack very sturdy side to side even when no top cross bars are used, so I can use the 78 inch front to back bars as a handle when climbing up on the tire to get to stuff on the roof. The top cross vars can be any length over 50 inches and can be removed or positioned anywhere. The front set of Overlander brackets does not get an under Thule cross bar so no wind noise. The rear two under cross bars can support a basket without any additional top cross bars.
    As a final touch, and I would like some opinions on this please, I am thinking about bolting stainless 4 inch stainless yacht cleats on the outer vertical surface of the Overlander brackets. These are available from www.WestMarine.com and would provide a very sturdy way to tie things down with regular rope. What do you think? Would cleats look bad up there? The cleats are nice and smooth and would make good handholds as well. Thank You, BoxTrooper
    I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon, barring some unforseen issue. Until my desire to have an offroader changes I will probably keep it around...maybe someday as a project rather than daily driver. When that time comes, I will probably get something that gets good gas mileage, stick shift and a reasonably good sport sedan. I miss driving a car sometimes. I think I will want to have a 4 wheel drive truck for vacations so until it dies completely (or cannot be reliably taken on vacations) I will probably keep it around.

List? WRX, Lexus IS, TL Type-S?
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Thanks for the input on the rack, Jim and Mike. I found another interesting article from someone who made a custom setup:

http://isuzu-suvs.com/howto/Yakima-Overlander.html

By the way, does anyone know how I can find Overlander brackets. I tried their website:

http://www.overlander.com/

but as you can see, it didn't go through as I ended up at Webstar!

Can't wait to test the Trooper out on the beaches of the outer banks this June!

Tim
    Well I was at the NY International Auto show and got to chatting with the reps there. One of them actually offroaded a truck at uwharrie when planet isuzoo went down a few years ago.

They told me definitively that the Thailand truck will be back and be sold as a trooper here. The Assender was/is just a stop gap measure cause the plant in Japan was sold due to the real estate being worth a ton of cash.

The troopers are still being built and sold as the Big Horn and Jackaroo out of the thailand plant.

So things actually look pretty good for the Isuzus IMHO.

-mike
    I hope they make the default engine the turbo diesel with a small amount of hybrid boost optional for great mpg and quick starts from lights around town.
    The ideal 2006 Trooper would have diesel hybrid power and get 20 mpg city and 30+ mpg highway with good acceleration because of the hybrid power. Of course the hybrid should be one option the other options should be larger diesel and gasoline engines for heavy duty towing. The diesel hybrid part of the 2006 Trooper should have a home backup power mode whereby the engine could idle quietly and provide 10KW 220VAC 50/60Hz or more for powering your home or tools on the road.
    Hopfully in 2006 Isuzu can find the wisdom to market the Trooper as a low cost of ownership very high practicality vehicle for people who want to reliably go anywhere with all their stuff for many years. Troopers strong points are that they just keep on working year after year for hundreds of thousands of miles and they are small enough to park while able to carry a lot more stuff than the competition. Trooper is not a sexy "spur of the moment, got to have this year's model" thing it is a lifestyle "don't care what anybody else thinks and I'll drive it till it dies" choice. Trooper more than any other SUV holds its quality over time and miles.
    will have the direct injection gas 3.5l powerplant std. Maybe diesel optional but we'll see what happens with that.

-mike
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    I had the serpentine belt and the IMG replaced within a thousand miles of each other at 49-50K miles. The IMG was under warranty after a lot of surging and the CEL coming on intermittenly then satying on. The belt cost about $65 installed.
    Just after passing 100K (the point at which my extended warranty ran out) the CEL came on and the same thing: diagnosed by Isuzu dealer as IMG. This cost me almost exactly $400. The belt also started squeaking loudly again but the dealer says it looks fine.

Anyone have a serpentine that looks good but makes outrageous noises?

Also, be aware that the IMG thing can come up again after the original "defect" is taken care of under warranty. And, the Isuzu customer service rep told me that if the CEL light came on after 100K it's my responsibility. I argued that the problem doesn't just instantly pop up, that it had obviously been developing pre-100K.

They even sent me a letter saying basically "claim denied - over extended warranty term."

Keep trucking.
    Which one is that?
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    Serpentine belt is the one long belt that drives alternator, A/C pump, water pump (everything) from the engine. It is relatively cheap and easy to replace, not to be confused with the timing belt.
  • jrr2kjrr2k Member Posts: 35
    Well I own a 2002 Trooper, so I hope that I won't have to find a replacement for a long, long time. The fate of Isuzu really doesn't worry me much. Warranty work should be (hopefully) minor repairs, and if Isuzu goes under the warrenty will probably be picked up by another manufactuer (GM honors Daewoo warranties). This may be a consumers advantage. You can buy an extended warranty if you need one.
    I also doubt that Isuzu's quality control has dropped off since the mid 90's. If anything quality may have improved. The latest trooper models do not share the same problems mentioned by owners of older models on this board. Problems are corrected, horsepower is increased, and alot of luxury options are now stock. Remember that Isuzu sells trucks worldwide, and auto engineers are paid to improve designs.
    The problem for Isuzu USA has been and will be competition. Very few competitors existed in 1986. But I have a hard time keeping up with all the SUV names these days.
    In my most humble opinion...of course.

As far as getting a roof rack installed. You may find the same overlander roof mounts, from the Surco safari rack set up. They have the same model #, and they should work about the same.
    Good luck.

Oh and the new Toyota 4 runner looks nice!
    But next year I will replace my Subaru with....
    another Subaru. Best damn car for the $$ IMHO
    I'm a big subie fan as well :)

Love my '92 SVX.

-mike
    One of Isuzu's main strengths is in reliable economical diesels.
    If Isuzu fails to use high MPG diesels and reliability and long term low cost of ownership to their advantage in marketing the 2006 Trooper I think that will be the end of Isuzu brand personal sized vehicles in the USA. Then Isuzu will live on in the USA only as an automotive components supplier industrial diesel engine supplier and medium size truck supplier.
    Isuzu cannot compete with GM and Ford and Toyota and Nissan for yet another marketed same as the rest sexy new high power high luxery SUV. Isuzu needs to define its own nitch. Like Subaru has done, there are small cars and then there are Subarus. Isuzu needs that.
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    Surco makes the safari racks that Overlander sells. If you have Thule or Yakima parts already, just get the Trooper brackets from Overlander or Surco. You can figure out how to make the other parts bolt on to the brackets.