Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• saiman9saiman9 Member Posts: 4
    Joel, thank you for the advise. I guess it was kind of stupid of me to take it to Precision. Now I have learnt my lesson. Car is still at the dealer. The only problem they see at this time is the car running rough, the CEL is not on anymore. i will post a message when the car is fixed.

i appreciate your input.
    got the car back from the dealer. turned out that the cam gear sprocket was installed 180 deg off from the mfg spec by the precision guys. car is running great now......
  • jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    saiman9- glad to hear they got it resolved for you. I'm surprised it ran at all with the valve timing off that much. Gotta love non-interference engines! Did it wind up souring your catalytic converters?
    G/luck
    Joel
    joel, yes one of the catalytic converters got burnt and had to be replaced.
  • garodeogarodeo Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2003 Rodeo, loaded with everything but TOD. Sticker said 23mpg on the highway, but I am barely getting 17. Also, power going up hills is barely there. Anyone else experiencing this? If so, what are the fixes? I really dont want to deal with the dealership, as I do my own maintenance.
    Really? The sticker for my 2002 3.2 4x4 AT says 15/21. I average 17mpg. Power is great. If you are not getting a CEL, that's a tough one to troubleshoot. Pretty much have to drive another identical 2003 under the same conditions to see it there is difference in hill climbing power.
    G/luck
    Joel
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    The ones with the direct injection engine might say 23mpg. If you got the 2003 it should have been a bit less though...
  • mlinhardtmlinhardt Member Posts: 9
    2003 Rodeo 4x4 5-speed -- mileage is 16-17 mpg in first 6K miles.

Power seems good. Considerable power improvement over our 1993 166K Rodeo, but slightly worse mileage.
  • ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    This is from "another" message board:

"I was called by NHTSA and I was told to expect the fuel sending units on 98-99 Rodeo to be recalled by Isuzu. They said expect 6-8 weeks."
  • twinkie1982twinkie1982 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, all.

I own a 1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo, 70K miles.

I noticed today that I seem to have a minor front differential leak. My problem is that I am a poor college student. Is this something that I can drive on for a few weeks provided I keep the fluids filled? I am guessing it is some sort of faulty seal. What should I expect to pay for a repair cost? All input is welcomed.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    FYI---I was headed down to FL (from Atlanta) and the head gasket blew in the middle of nowhere AL. I had 62295 miles on my 2001 Rodeo LS (2295 miles past the towing warranty) and had to pay $300 to have it towed to the nearest Isuzu dealer. Found out later that both the head and the engine block were warped from this incident, thus requiring a complete engine replacement. Fortunately, this is covered under the 10yr, 120K miles powertrain warranty. What is not covered, was the towing and rental car (going on a month) due to the fact that Isuzu resisted covering the incident at first then sent the wrong engine to the dealer. Until the head gasket blew, i had no problems with this vehicle and have always changed the oil, fluids religiously using castrol syn oils. Go figure. I guess that Castrol commercial was hype. LOL Anyhow, any ideas on what approach to get Isuzu to pay for the towing and rental? Thanks,

Rick
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    At this point it's hard to get Isuzu warranty to cover a big job like that. :(

-mike
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Answer is yes, you can drive indefinitely on this as long as you feel the oil level is fine, especially if it only leaks a few drops etc.. Take the time to make sure where it is coming from. Sometimes these things stop by themselves as well.
  • annintennannintenn Member Posts: 2
    First of all I would like to say that I love my Rodeo. I really don't know what all of the bad press is about. It is a truck based SUV so it drives like a truck, not a sedan. I can personally attest that it is one tough and reliable vehicle. My children call her Suzy the Isuzu and I have been told by them that we can never get rid of Suzy.

I drive lots in some pretty rough terrain. I live on a gravel road in the Appalachian mountains and work as a home health RN. I have to go over some pretty rough roads. I usually have it in 4wd at least once a week. I average about 24k miles a year and it has 86k on it now.

The only things I have ever done is routine oil changes and am on my third set of tires. The gas gague stopped working and since it was under warranty, I had that fixed. It has many squeaks and rattles but I have bounced it around alot so it doesn't bother me. It gets me where I need to go and I like the power (4wd ls 6cyl).

I am planning on having timing belt and serpentine belt changed at 100k. Is there any other preventative maint. that I need to be thinking about? I was told at shop at 40k that the serpentine belt was ready to break and needed to be replaced, looked fine to me so I declined and it's still fine. They handed me a long list of things needing to be done at 60k- I declined that also. I just don't trust them.

I was also told at my last visit that the bearings needed to be repacked before they could do an alignment. This I also declined. My husband says that they are fine and that I was told this since I bought a lifetime alignment on it and I have long since made them lose money on that so they needed to drum up some business. Any thoughts?

I plan on getting at least 150k out of her but have browsed at other vehicles. I prefer a manual transmission. I have found that only the BMWX3 and X5 (and maybe Toureg) have manual transmission. (others do but with smaller hp/engines) Are there any others and is it true that the 6cyl Rodeo now only comes in automatic? How true is it that Isuzu is not going to be with us much longer?

My husband had a Chevy Luv truck years and years ago. It had an Isuzu engine in it and he loved that thing and it lasted forever- I never thought it would die. The doors literally fell off before the engine quit.

Thanks for your time!

Ann
    The Forester comes with a Manual also. The new Turbo model puts out a ton of power officially 210hp, but dynoed at 250hp/265lbs torque.

-mike
    At a minimum @ 86Kmi I would definately changeout the ATF and filter, do an engine coolant flush and pull & atleast inspect & re-lube the spark plugs so they dont seize into the aluminum heads. At that mileage, you could probably wait until you need the front brakes done before you re grease the front hubs, but that needs to be done as well. The 4L30E auto tranny is a bit hard on ATF & tends to die early (before 100Kmi) if not maintained. An all aluminum engine does not take an overheat well ($$$$), clean coolant is a must. A serpentine belt is CHEAP (maybe $30) & takes a few minutes to replace. A T-belt changeout is time consuming & expensive, but needs to be done when you get up in mileage. Some owners report that the T-belt still looked new @ 100Kmi+ I'd wait over 100Kmi to do the T-belt (just my opinion). Good to hear your rodeo has been good to you!
    G/luck
    Joel
  • ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    Joel covered most of the key areas. When you get to the T-belt make sure you have the t-belt tensor replaced too. Many have reported the tensor going out after having the belt replaced.

A few other things to change out:

Fuel filter
    Clean out the throttle body and EGR
    Change the front and rear diffy fluid
    replace the PCV
  • ricrodricrod Member Posts: 4
    So does this mean I should wait to take my Rodeo to have it looked at? My '99 just started having this problem.

Also, my '99 LS Rodeo 2WD has about 41K. Besides regular oil changes what is coming up for maitenance? I am the second owner and it had all routine service to 20K. Should I have a auto trans flush and other fluids? What can I expect as costs?
    Thanks.
    Ric.
    If you can stand it, I'd wait for the recall for the fuel gauge issue. If not, you will have to drop the fuel tank to pull the sending unit out of the tank top to adjust the contact points of the fuel float (wiper & board) or replace the sender. At 41Kmi I would do the maintenance issues I mentioned in post #1315. A full cooling system flush usually runs about $100, tranny pan drop & filter change about $100. These items are important for these trucks!! At this mileage I would pull & lube (and replace if needed) the spark plugs as well. Typical dealer charge for that is about $75.
    G/luck
    Joel
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Quite honestly, you are skipping some basic maintenance because of your fear of being ripped off. True, if your timing belt goes it will not ruin the engine but it sure will leave you stranded somewhere you may not wish to be.

Lifetime alignments in my experience are worthless, they don't do a proper job and you keep going back for more of them which is why you are on your third set of tires in 86,000 miles. Yes, you should have had an transmission gear oil change (manual tranny) change by now, coolant, probably the rear end and transfer case as well on a 4 wd and new plugs.

Time to spend some bucks if you want this thing to last. Find an independent mechanic you can trust and get some maintenance done.
    Good call armtdm. If annintenn does have a 5spd, you still want to dump & fill the manuall tranny oil regularly. IIRC- the 4x4 5spd just uses regular 5w-30 motor oil. Letting that go usually results in worn idler shaft bearings which makes the tranny whine in lower gears & rattle in higher gears or low RPM's. When a shaft lets go & trashes the whole gear box. I would amagine these 5spd's are MUCH more rare than even the 4L30E & $$$$ to replace.
    G/luck
    Joel
  • eddie1337eddie1337 Member Posts: 8
    hello guys i have a quick question. i have a 2001 LS with 47,000 miles and so far my Rodeo has run great, two cross country trips Virginia to Arizona and a round trip to Arizona from phoenix. I was wondering what tip of upkeep i should do on my truck. all i have done up until now are only regular oil changes and thats it. I would love to keep this car for many more years and miles.
    Check posts 1313-1317.
    G/luck
    Joel
  • pillar2004pillar2004 Member Posts: 1
    So far in the 4 months that I have owned my 92 Isuzu rodeo XS 4x4. I immediately had to replace all four tires, the clear coat on the rim has begun to fall off and the rims will not come clean making the wheels look horrible. The four wheel drive kept trying to engage itself, and once it was engaged only disengaged when it wanted to. Both rear axles have been replaced twice. The clutch is going out. The drivers side brake caliper froze on me while driving. The exhaust has rusted out and every time I try to fix it something else more costly and urgent goes wrong. There is also a bolt for the exhaust that is broken and stuck in the motor. The oil cooler was leaking, the engine itself has a horrible leak that no one seems to be able to locate, one of the hoses for the coolant leaks if when the vehicle sits for too long and then burns off once you start the truck again. The hydraulic arms for the rear window no longer work. The car vibrates off and on when I hit 75 and the wind feels like it is going to rip my doors off. It needs a quart of oil about every 3 fill ups. I've only reached 300 miles once since I've own it, so I have no clue what the mileage is, but it is nothing compared to the 30 to 40 mpg I had with my accent. Stereo speakers are 4 inches all the way around, which makes for a horrible system. No cup holders, huge problem cause the only place to put one is behind the console and I have to remove it when I put the seat down. Had to replace 3 wheel studs, not fun because it is near impossible to remove any of the wheel assembly with the 4 wheel drive hub set up. Now it does have quite a few miles on it, 155K, and even if nothing last forever, why is it that everything goes bad at the same time? One of the most aggravating problems is that I have to let the car warm up for at least three minutes before it will move without jumping violently, I guess that might be where the rodeo part comes in. I have to wait at least 5 minutes to ensure the vehicle does not die again. If there are any accessories on during the warm up, which I forgot to mention the fact that I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep in running those five minutes, the accessories will cause the truck to die again. Oh, the dome light only comes on every now and then, and I have to hit it to turn it on while the doors are shut. Check engine light comes on after the truck has been running about 30 seconds, and the emergency brake light gets dimmer when the brake is released but never goes out. The rpms constantly fluctuate as well. Well that concludes my complaints for now. Thank you for reading. If anyone has any helpful hints, please feel free to contact me. Pillar2004@aol.com
  • cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    First: It is not a car!!!!!

Second: You purchased a 12 year old SUV with 155k miles on it. What do you expect? Who knows how well the previous owner took care of it, if at all.

Third: All of the things you mentioned are things you should have looked out for before purchasing. I mean lets get real here, it is a 12 year old vehicle with 155k miles. Did you look at the prior owners maintenance records? Somehow I doubt all of these things just happened to start right after you purchased it.

Just my thoughts. Perhaps someone here will give you some advice on fixing your problems.
    Sorry your expectations were not met, but you need to be realistic here. As cptsesso said, any similar 4x4 truck that age & mileage is going to have the issues you describe. Try to find a (same class) truck like a 1992 chevy blazer or ford explorer with 150Kmi+ Not very likely. They would have been sent to the bone yard already! You will probably find a 1992 4-runner still purring like a kitten at 150Kmi, but they require lots of up keep as well. A 4x4 truck is not the vehicle for you if you: 1) want 20mpg + 2) Never lift the hood. 3) Never crawl underneath 3)If you just want to add gas & visit an "Iffy Lube" type place every 3-5Kmi. Sorry man! That's the way it it with any truck/4x4. You'll need to get a service manual & browse the net if you want DIY solutions.
    G/luck
    Joel
  • mlinhardtmlinhardt Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1993 Rodeo S 4x4 5spd w/ 168K miles. Some of the things like callipers and aluminum rust on the alloys I have experienced, but over its entire life.

I removed the console(cassette tapes/armrest) between the seats and bought the cupholder option which allows a single beverage.

You have the 3.1L GM engine. The GM 3.1 is definitely not as good as the Isuzu 3.2 which came out in 1993. Good luck with that?
  • eddie1337eddie1337 Member Posts: 8
    does doing your own oil changes affect or void your warranty?
  • cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    No. Just make sure you keep all receipts and make a note of the mileage and the date you performed all of the services.
  • squeak6squeak6 Member Posts: 28
    * my first post on this page *

I use to be on the Prizm page now I'm here. I purchased a 2003 Rodeo back in September (09/03/2004). I now have 21,900 miles. I was told that I need new tires because the shocks may be bad ( not absorbing the bumps) causing the front tires to carpet? ( there uneven, you can feel it with your hand). I was also told that I have an oil leak.

My questions are:

Why am I only getting 17mpg?

What can I do to increase it? ( I do drive fast >=*70mph*)

what are the best tires for a 2003?

What can I do to keep her running well?

other than that she's been good to me...

thanks for all the info,

Squeak...
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Shocks bad? and now you need new tires. I would say that the dealer should replace both for free.

The stock Dueler 684's are decent all round tire. I put Dueler A/Ts on my Trooper and am happy with them. You may want to consider a larger size if you are getting 4 new tires (and have to pay for them yourself). I don't know what size will fit on a Rodeo, but I put 265/70s (over the stock 245/70s) on my Trooper and like them.

I don't know about the Rodeo, but I would like to see 17 MPG on the highway in my Trooper.
    Some owners get better & some worse than 17mpg. The best I can get with my 2002 Rodeo LS 4x4 automatic is about 17-18mpg. Make sure you are following the recommended tire pressures per your door jamb sticker. IIRC, it's 26psig all the way around. Any more or less will prematurely wear stock sized tires & cause your rodeo to handle dangerously. As far as shocks go, pull the stock shocks & replace them with a qualilty aftermarket set. I have monroe sensa-tracs on mine & it made a HUGE ride & handling improvement. Only cost me $100 & took about an hour to do. Better get that oil leak looked at & make sure you check your engine oil atleast every 400-500mi!.
    G/luck
    Joel
  • jwsjws Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a '99 LSE 4WD with 73K miles on it. It's in pretty good shape overall but I do have a few questions/concerns. I've been reading past posts on this board but haven't had time to read them all. Lots of good info, though.

So here goes:

I've experienced the shock bounce induced lack of braking power when the ABS computer thinks the wheels are slipping. This is a little unnerving but I can learn to adjust. I think the problem will be abated if I replace the shocks. Since I don't really plan to do any off-roading, I think the Tokicas, Ranchos, or Bilsteins would be overkill so I think I will go with the Monroe SensaTracs. Anybody strongly disagree?

My other major problem is that my ABS light comes and goes. It sometimes comes on as soon as I start the truck but sometimes it comes on while just driving down the road. Once it comes on, it stays on until the next time the truck is started then it usually goes out. What would be the likely scenario here? I guess it could be a wheel speed sensor but I've also read it could just be a wiring harness issue or corroded connector. How can I pin this down? How does one read the code the ABS has stored?

Last question. How does one get to the bulb behind the temperature control knob on the dash? Mine doesn't light so I presume the bulb is shot. Does the whole facade in front of the stereo have to come off?

Thanks in advance for any help. Keep those post coming -- I'm learning a lot!!!

JWS
  • cougar87cougar87 Member Posts: 30
    How much or little of a value is the Isuzu Rodeo? They are very cheap for a midsize SUV. The interior, for that price especially doesn't bother me from the pictures, but who knows about that in person. How bad is the ride? Are these things dependable at all?

P.S. I thought my questions were out of place here, so I started another topic- but I was redirected here again.
    A rodeo is the most truck you will find for the money, comparing same class, full-framed, truck based 4x4's. Ride and handling are good- excellent with aftermarket shocks. Reliablity is better than average, maybe not quite as good as a 4-runner,pathfinder, montero, but better than big 3 domestics. Shop around to see for yourself.
    G/luck
    Joel
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Shocks, on my 2001 Rodeo LS 4x4, I put monroe sensatracts~ $125. Big difference. My engine uses about a half quart of oil per 5000 miles. At least until the head gasket blew at 62000. Then Isuzu replaced the entire engine (after 5 weeks of BS). Gas mileage is in the 19mph range at 70+ mph. I do use synthetic oil and fram filters. I think it makes a difference.
  • matt1matt1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 rodeo 6 cyl. w/ 160000 miles. Currently the veh on and off will bog down and blow black smoke as though it is running too rich. I have replaced the temp. sensor , and the feul pressure regulator, and this has not fixed the problem, the veh. runs well some times then others it races and i really have to stand on the breaks to stop it. When its running good its fine but when not sometimes I can acellerate to a speed and it will maintain that speed like cruise control. The idle when its acting up is very sporatic. the egr check out good too thats what the dealer wanted to change. any thoughts??? there is a electrical connector on the trottle body this when unplogged is suppoed to bog the engine down, but when I unplug it there is no change... the book is not whith me here tday so I dont have the name of the sensor/conector i forgot its name. timming is good, injectors are good, air filter is good, ?? Matt
    Matt, Check you mass air flow sensor (MAF), sounds like it may need a cleaning.
    G/luck
    Joel
  • jwsjws Member Posts: 5
    Didn't get a response to my earlier post (New owner of an older Rodeo) where I asked about the ABS on my 99. ABS light has been almost all the time for the last 400-500 miles. However, after stopping for gas the other morning, it went off when I re-started the truck. On the next restart it came back on and has been on since.

Here's a quote from another post about ABS on 98's: "Another common problem, the ABS light comes on intermittently. While it may be due to a real ABS problem in some, commonly the wiring harness is at fault. The rear differential sensor connector (sensor not near discs like in front), connector under rubber boot under driver's seat, and the front connectors inside engine compartment, near wheel wheel need only cleaning to stop this problem, particularly when the Dealer says "We don't see any error code for the ABS". "

Anybody know where exactly these connectors are? Can AutoZone read the ABS error codes when they query the ECM or do you have to go to a brake shop? Any help here would be greatly appreciated as I want to get the ABS working without spending a ton of money.

JWS
  • r0de01999r0de01999 Member Posts: 2
    i have a rodeo 99 ls.yesterday all of a sudden my driver side window stop working i put it all the way down and i cant bring it up also the switches from the driver of the other two window are not working properly.But the switch of each of the two are working fine.only the driver side power window switches are not working properly.What do you guys think is problem?maybe you could give me some advice.
    Sounds like the electronic panel behind the switches died.

-mike
  • cricket619cricket619 Member Posts: 3
    I am a college senior, getting ready to buy my first car. I found a 99 Isuzu Rodeo S with 33K miles on it for a steal. After speaking with the owner, the car appears to be in good shape. I have read a ton of reviews and the Rodeo sounds like a great car.

Here is my problem... I am moving Austin to Atlanta in July and would like to rent a small (4x8 or 5x8) trailer and tow my stuff there. This particular Rodeo is a 4 cyl, 5 spd. Is it do-able with that engine/trans? I don't drive a stick very well, but I figure I have a couple months to learn. I am just worried about killing the transmission when I tow.

Any insight or advice is appreciated...
  • r0de099r0de099 Member Posts: 35
    Went to the shop yesterday have it checked and power window switch panel need to be replace
    and its gonna cost us $300.00.$200 something for the parts plus the labor.Do you guys know where i can buy the parts for lesser price used or new?
    St Charles Isuzu, panel should cost about $75 that's how much they cost new for the subarus.

-mike
  • r0de01999r0de01999 Member Posts: 2
    where is this place located anyway?Is there website for this place?THANX...
    Should be a link on my site http://Isuzu-suvs.com St Charles Isuzu is somewhere in the mid-west.

-mike
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Even with the 4cyl, you should be fine with the single axle U-Haul type trailers. Your trip should be relatively flat. I would make sure it is serviced first, and it probably would not hurt to put a higher grade of gas in it. Also, check your tire pressure, and give yourself plenty of time to pass and merge with traffic.
  • slamwhitslamwhit Member Posts: 1
    We cannot figure out how to lock the back door/gate. We tried turning the key to 'lock' on the driver side, tried locking it directly, tried physically locking the drivers side door and closing it by holding the handle up and nothing works! The back stays unlocked. Is there a trick or is it just broken?

Also, is it possible to get keyless entry for this vehicle? Our keys suck, they barely fit in the locks (they're copys).
    Thanks!