Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• emtbeeemtbee Member Posts: 4
    :sick: we went to pa to buy a rodeo , and when we left eh check engine light came on we went back, the mechanic hooked up the thing and it said egr valve, so they replaced that,. then there was a misc emissions code still showing, anyone else have this and ever find out what it is, we left it there for them to fix.they will call us when its fixed or we willget a refund.
  • emtbeeemtbee Member Posts: 4
    i had a great 1992 rodeo 4x4 the real sporty one withthe flared fenders and all, it was so nice, till i got dieswiped, i never had a problem out of it till about 300k miles we put a new motor in it. that was 2 weeks before i got t boned and the insurance co. totalled it lol, now i see someone else driving it. :cry:
  • r0de099r0de099 Member Posts: 35
    I have 99 rodeo 4x4 v6 i bought the car used, i have the car for 2 yrs now.I dont know if they biult this car with bad suspension or i have problem with it.From the day i bought this car the suspension rides really bad everytime it hit a bump small or big the whole car rattles instead of felling the wheels hitting the bumps, its like the cars gonna fall apart it even broke the built in cd player.I put 4 new shocks last october(monroe matic plus suppose to be thats what i ask the mechanic) nothing change still rides the same and im getting tired of it.Maybe some of you guys can tell me what might be the problem.THANXX...
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    I've checked the fuse under the hood and it's good. The air and heat works but no fan at any setting. Any ideas? Thanks
  • kazumakazuma Member Posts: 50
    im geussing the motor is blown, just a guess cause mine, 97 honda passport, only the lvl 3 air doesnt work. i got 1 2 and 4 thats it.

im gonna check it with a tester once it comes back from the body shop. A deer put an end to my good times last week.

im new here but i am very pleased with my passport. its the first honda iv ever owned. iv had the dam thing in up to 3 ft of water and it still hasnt missed a beet! although, my frame seems to be severely rusted and will need repair soon if i plan on keeping it.

has any one ever had to get a frame repaired. im looking into cost verses keeps.

other than than that my passport has been trail running stock with old f150's with ease, im very surprised what that 4wd can do in that suv. i just hope it wont cost more to repair than keep cause i really like it.

not to mention its gonna have dam near a new front end when it comes back from the shop!!

any thoughts comments or ideas are appriciated!! :)
  • kazumakazuma Member Posts: 50
     im gonna check it with a tester once it comes back from the body shop. A deer put an end to my good times last week.

im new here but i am very pleased with my passport. its the first honda iv ever owned. iv had the dam thing in up to 3 ft of water and it still hasnt missed a beet! although, my frame seems to be severely rusted and will need repair soon if i plan on keeping it.

has any one ever had to get a frame repaired. im looking into cost verses keeps.

other than than that my passport has been trail running stock with old f150's with ease, im very surprised what that 4wd can do in that suv. i just hope it wont cost more to repair than keep cause i really like it.

not to mention its gonna have dam near a new front end when it comes back from the shop!!

any thoughts comments or ideas are appriciated!!
  • ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    You are way above the 1qt per 1k. Your dealer should install a new engine for free. Since you are the orginal owner you have a 120k/10yr warranty.

Contact Corp Isuzu and tell them that your oil consumption test was completed at a dealer and they are unwilling to replace the engine.
  • r0de099r0de099 Member Posts: 35
    I have a problem with car the rpm dont go past 3 no matter how fast im going
    when it reach 3 it goes back down and it stay only between 2 and 3.What do you
    think is wrong with the car?Maybe you guys can give an idea.
  • ovnocovnoc Member Posts: 1
    My isuzu rodeo 2002 v6 3.2 engine crapped out on me. GM covers the warranty for isuzu and won't give me powertrain warranty because I dont have maintenance records of the previous owner of the car. Any idea where I can get a cheap good engine?
  • rocket6rocket6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo LS model with 2wd. The vehicle has 36k miles on it. About 6 months ago the trans. started to shift gears very hard (automatic trans). I took it to the dealer and they stated it sounded like a solenoid and the cost would be about $500 to repair it. I have put on about 3k miles since then and have only experienced this twice. Anyway, I have ran into a new problem. This morning while driving to work the vehicle switched from DRIVE to NUETRAL all by itself. I nudged the gear shifter only very slightly towards DRIVE and it went back into the DRIVE gear. This happened 2-3 times within about 10 miles. When I got to work I stopped the vehicle and ran through the gears. When I placed the shifter into SECOND gear the gear indicator lights on the dash moved to SECOND and then for a split second jumped to REVERSE then back to SECOND again and stayed there. Does anyone know what is going on and if this most current problem is an easy fix? I think the first problem is a bad solenoid and the second problem that occurred this morning might be a shift linkage problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I spoke to Isuzu about the solenoid issue and they said it was not a valid warranty claim due to the fact that is an electrical issue outside of the trans.

Thanks, Rocket 6
  • tircartircar Member Posts: 1
    I feel like no one has a solution. Mybe somebody else has had this problem and can offer a solution. A 1993 Rodeo LS 4x4, on the first time around I would drive about 18 miles highway come to a stop the check trans light on the dash would start blinking and the trans would not shift automaticlly. I would have to shift to drive 1 to drive 2 and so on each time I stop. Finnally after spending about 2 thousand dollars I was told that the trans computer was bad. So I replaced it for 9 hundred, after about a year and a half later upon starting I noticed that the check trans light is blinking again but this time when I started the engine. And to correct this problem I could shut it off and restart it and this would correct the problem until I let it sat and started it again for the first time again the next day or after work. So I take it to the dealer and they tell me that the trans computer is bad again and it will cost 9 hundred to replace it. But I go to Ebay and find one for 250, have a friend put it on and the problem does not go away. So I am going to assume that the computer that I got from Ebay was a bad one and I will send it back. Has any body had a similar problem?
  • dcamdcam Member Posts: 15
    What trans code did the dealer tell you was stored?Make sure the alternator is not overcharging.This will affect your trans shifting also.
    It's your trans mode/inhibitor switch.It is on the side of the trans and are known for causing your problem.They cost about $150 depending on your dealer and take only a few minutes to install.
  • freeponyfreepony Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Isuzu Rodeo which has never given me too many problems other than excessive oil use but about a month ago the check engine light came on. I took it to a shop that told me that Spark plug #5 was misfiring. I did a tuneup and replaced the spark plugs. Light is still on. Runs a little rough sometimes. When I am at an idle the light starts flashing. Took it to another shop, checked the computer again and they told me that cylinder #5 has no compression. What are my options? And how costly are they? Has anyone else had this problem? :cry:
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I have a really dumb question - never though I'd be asking something like that in an Internet forum.

I am trying to replace the light bulb in the rear (driver's side) light and can't figure out how to get to the bulb. I think i figured out how to get there on the right side - I should be able to take out the plastic cover on the inside of the rear "arch" facing the left side. However, the hatch door hinges are on the left side and I can't get to that area there. It seems like the only way to get there is to remove the door, which i honestly doubt that's how it was designed to be done. Any ideas?

Also, the problem that I am having is that the driver's side rear light goes on when the lights are on (just like it's supposed to) but it shuts off when I press the break pedal. It stays on when I press the break pedal with the lights turned off but as soon as i turn on the head lights it shuts off immediately. Is that the bulb that I'm trying to get to or that's more likely an electrical problem?
  • omieeomiee Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem...any luck? Any information would be helpful.
    Remove the taillamp assembly.It's only 3 phillips head screws that hold it in place.As far as your other concern,replace the bulb and do not touch the glass when installing.
    How many miles do you have on your vehicle?Did you use denso plat inum plugs.You may just have a bad ignition coil on cylinder #5.Unless you saw with your own eyes cylinder 5 had low compression,it still may be something minor.
    Sounds like your lifters are tapping.If the vehicle has oil leaks or was run low on oil,this can cause the lifters to fail.
  • jjj95rodeojjj95rodeo Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem (excessive to minor lifter noise) with my 95 rodeo which I purchased with the problem. The previous owner didnt know what to do and just parked it When i first started it every lifter was ticking it sounded awful!! I asked around to some mechanic friends and they all said the same thing. The interior of all engines will develop scaling, oil that has basically cooked to the inside walls of the engine. The rodeo however has fairly restricted passage ways, and so when the build up finally restricts the flow of the oil the farthest point from the source of the oil pressure (the passenger side lifters) becomes less lubricated causing the lifter to stick and the horrible noise. its basically like a heart attack. You may have also noticed a dip in your oil pressure gauge. The solution? I changed the oil (used 10w30) in it once every hundred miles for 700 miles, each time using GUNK brand engine cleaner that you add to the oil just before a change. This reduced the ticking to two lifters. I also switched to FRAM brand oil filters which I was told would better strain the loose scaling. And lastly I added a product called "engine restore" in a silver can and that took care of it completely. It cost me about $175 and it was a lot of trouble but my rodeo sounds brand new and will be less likely to have major problems in the future. Also, I will probably use that engine cleaner from now on every time I change the oil as well as the fram filter and the engine restore. It adds up but it might save the engine.
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I was looking for the screws but couldn't find any. Are they on the inside of the trunk area or outside?
    They are on the outside.
  • gshattagshatta Member Posts: 2
    I just baught a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo and it just occured to me that I don't know how to access the jack handle and lug tool that are under the rear seat cushion. I can't seam to figure out how to get the cushion up. Am I just stupid or is there some magical way to do this? Can anybody help me with this? I'ts a little embarrassing.

Thanks guys
  • enriq212enriq212 Member Posts: 11
    There is a small loop right next to the rear seat belt attachments See if the liittle loop of fabric is inside the hole where the seat belt come out of in the seat, If you see it pull on that that detaches the lapel inside the rear seat its a latch that pulls out towards the front of the car....
  • enriq212enriq212 Member Posts: 11
    Hey anyone has any idea or knowledge in terms of ABS. I recently had the light come on and it also goes off for a little while but when it does the ABS comes on for anything on the road even a little pebble or sand. Do you know what I can do...I also must mention that normally for the most part it stays lit and I have no ABS. And it happend one day when I hit the winter button by accident at a time when I accelerated pretty hard to get off a small dip in some dirt. Anyone can tell me where exactly where the abs connector in the rear and the front located.
  • gshattagshatta Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Enriq, I'll try that.
  • willow23willow23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Rodeo Isuzu with 138,000. It has been running fine (after being gouged for what turned out to be the thermostat for my radiator - they did EVERYTHING ELSE first yikes!). Anyway, my car is intermittently not starting - nothing- no turn-over at all and then all of a sudden it will. Is it the ignition swtich going bad or the spark plugs? I am a woman with little knowledge of these things and I seem to get "taken" everytime I go into a shop. I'd like to have a bit of information under my belt this time, when I go to the mechanic. Thanks much for any help you can provide. :confuse:
  • makayemakaye Member Posts: 81
    In this situation, it could easily be a bad battery or dirty connection. It could also be a bad starter solenoid. Unfortunately, the only way to properly diagnose is troubleshoot. If it won't start / turn over, does the interior light or headlights stay on while cranking the key? If not, it may be a bad battery or connection. If the lights are bright while no-crank, it may be bad ignition switch or starter.

maybe this will help? http://www.aaa-calif.com/auto/maintain/vip.asp
    or this?
    http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/aa080203a.htm
  • df2000df2000 Member Posts: 60
    If you just hear click and nothing, but any other lights, radio are working fine, check
    first your battery terminals for any corrosion and if battery 5yr or older changed it.
    But I am pretty sure it your starter going south. Mechanics call this "flat spote" on starter, it is mean $20 part(contacts) weared out and starter has to be replaced.
    Pretty common on isuzu of this age.
    Bad news part of exhost pipes have to removed to get starter out.
    A new Bosch starter from PB $170. A reman Denso from dealer from $220. A new exhost gaskets probably dealer only item may run $6-$20 a peace and you need 3-4 of these. Plus about 1.5-2 h of labor. I would say you looking at $400.
  • 1wrench1wrench Member Posts: 2
    I have a 01 isuzu rodeo I went out this morning and started the car and drove to work once there I could turn off the car actually can turn a little past ACC (toward off) but not all the way to off to withdraw the key. Anybody have a similar experience?
  • dohboydohboy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 manual transmission Rodeo and the parking brake isn't working. I have maxed out the adjusting nut where the cable meets the handle. I tried adjusting the parking brake shoes with some luck but not much. I am thinking the cables might need to be replaced from stretching. Anyone else have this problem or advice for me? Thanks
    Your ignition switch cable needs to be adjusted.It runs from underneather the shifter to the
    igntion switch.This is a very common problem with rodeo's.Try and adjust yourself.If you take it to the dealer,look to pay about 2.0hrs labor.
  • 1wrench1wrench Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response dcam. I found the problem, it was at the ignition switch end and had to do with the cable you mentioned. The mounting screw for the ignition switch cable bracket had fallen out. Found the screw put it back in, 30 min.
  • kherrmannkherrmann Member Posts: 10
    Option on lifter noise removal. Change oil to Mobil One Synthetic 0W-30W. Yes - 0W-30W. Take the car out and drive it for at least 20 minuites at a continous 2800 RPM or higher. Change your oil every 3000 miles. This was a recommendation by Honda for the Passport and has worked for my 94 Passport for the last 70,000 miles.
  • sliver99sliver99 Member Posts: 4
    can any 1 tell me what side i can find the dip stick for the transmission fluid so i can check it i have 1999 rodeo with the V6 and cant seem to find any clues are hints that any 1 can give me ,,,thanks...texas
  • longhornfanlonghornfan Member Posts: 2
    Anyone experiencing problems with EGR valves on a 2001 Rodeo? My check engine light came on (already checked the gas cap, that wasn't it), my mechanic informs me that the EGR valve needs to be replaced at a cost of $465! Car has just over 60,000 miles on it. Did notice that I have been having more engine knock than normal right before the light came on and this appears to be a symptom based on what I have read. Appreciate the help!
  • bugsy1bugsy1 Member Posts: 16
    sliver99 your rodeo dosent carry dip sticks for the transmission , if the oil is low it would show on the dash saying check transmission or low oil . you have to take it to a dealer or a place that does transmission to change or flush or check the oil level , i have a 2000 and i was looking for it , couldnt find it either then i read the book and found that out
    so i hope i was of some help.
  • sliver99sliver99 Member Posts: 4
    thanks yes u were very helpful cuz i was feeling like a fool cuz i could not find the dip stick i was feeling like a Dip..lol thanks again for the info..
  • 1999rodeo1999rodeo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Rodeo 110,000 miles with AT and V6. When I turn the AC on, I hear a loud hissing sound coming from the compressor. The compressor then turns on and off while the Rodeo is running. My mechanic says there is nothing wrong with the compressor (because it is under his warranty), is this true? I do not remember the AC ever making this much noise before.

Thanks, Rob
  • df2000df2000 Member Posts: 60
    You can try to clean EGR and pipes first. You have to clean intake pipes from EGR, ERG itself, pipe from crankcase to EGR. Use only O2 sensor save top engine cleaner. EGR really easy to remove, just 2 bolts and connector. Spray cleaner into EGR until pintle will move freely. Look for more info on isuzu's theads , it was discussed before a lot. There is Rayn Andres FAQ for 1998-2004 Isuzu owners with a lot of "how to". Sorry, cannot post a link.
  • longhornfanlonghornfan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info!
  • bigred7bigred7 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering what i could do to fix a loud noise I have coming from my motor it sounds like its coming from the lifters. I have a 96 Izusu Rodeo and I've already tried the mobile oil and that didn't work. I was hoping someone might have another suggestion. Please help.
  • dougheaddoughead Member Posts: 1
    I have the same year and model, and a very similar problem. Mine often will shift hard when slowing down or speeding up, and the dash indicator will not match the gear the shifter indicates. Generally speaking I turn the motor off, let its electronic brains clear for 30 or 60 seconds, then restart it without problem. I took it to the dealer several times and after more money than I would like, they have yet to discover what's wrong. Coupled with this, the Rodeo doesn't like to run when it's started up for the first time of the day - the motor will run very rough and even knock loudly until it runs a little gas through its system, then it seems to run OK but will occasionally idle really high. Have you found solutions to your transmission shifting problems, and if so, what are they? Also, have you experienced any of the same motor idle problems on startup, and are/were they related to your transmission problem? Seems to me like the only common thread to these 2 different problems is the computer brains of the electronic ignition system, but I'm open to any suggestions or revelations you (or anyone else) has had. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I was wondering what i could do to fix a loud noise

Someone might be able to offer suggestions if you would describe the noise.

tidester, host
  • kentsrodeokentsrodeo Member Posts: 1
    did you ever figure out the problem because my rodeo does the same exact thing i jacked it up and the tires are locked and the engine labors like i got my foot on the brake when im hit the gas.....i'm stumped
  • reduxredux Member Posts: 1
    The spare tire on my 2001 Honda Passport LX 2WD / Isuzu Rodeo is mounted on the rear cargo door and I'd like to mount it under the vehicle (like on the EX). I looked under the cargo area and I saw two brackets with 4 bolt holes which looks like it might hold an optional fixture for the spare tire, but I cant find anything in a search for aftermarket parts that would do the trick. Any thoughts on how to mount the spare tire under the cargo area?
    Thanks in advance for any tips
  • cbeam2cbeam2 Member Posts: 1
    If you keep on turning the key it will eventually kick in. I had the starter tested and it checked out fine. The battery is new. I don't see any loose connections anywhere.

Is there anything else in the circuit that could cause this?

Chuck
  • kenwebkenweb Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any experience with steering box on 1991 Rodeo? I have had to have the steering box replaced 4 times in the past 10 months. The original started leaking slightly after 120,000 miles. It was replaced with a rebuilt unit which blew the seals after 4 months, then another one blew after 5 months and the latest blew after 2 weeks. I have asked 2 mechanics if anything (other than poor workmanship in rebuilding them) could cause this and both said no. I am afraid it may happen again. What can I do?
    Has anyone heard of anything like this or have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Ken.
  • britracerbritracer Member Posts: 2
    You may have found this out already but your rodeo has a sealed unit and it doesn't have a dip stick, you need to get it serviced on a regular basis, check your handbook for details
  • britracerbritracer Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 rodeo from carmax, after three weeks the transmission slipped occasionally and I took it back to them, I had a 1 month warranty on the car with carmax, they told me there was nothing wrong, i am sure they played with something as it didn't happen again for about 4 more weeks, now it is so bad I can hardly drive it, I took it to my mechanic who said it just needs a fluid change and one of the gaskets had a slight leak, and that was probably what was wrong with it, so he did the work and it ran fine for a week, then the same thing happened, it struggles to kick into drive when you are at a complete stop, it now is impossible to drive, carmax told me th3e car is under warranty from isuzu but isuzu tell me it isn't, does anyone know if this is a quick fix stupid thing I can deal with myself or am I going to have to kick up a fuss with carmax?