Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    km/litre?

Usually metric fuel consumption is expressed in litres/100 km. And, as we all know, the US uses mpg.

Anyway, if my calculator is still working, 7 km/litre equates to 16.465 mpg & 14.28 litres per 100 km. That's about right for a PF with the 3.5 litre engine.

The engine is well thought of in a number of areas, but fuel efficiency isn't one of them. Our two-year-old PF gets between 16 & 17 mpg routinely, which isn't all that bad for a real trail-ready 4WD vehicle. Was the Jeep 4WD?

I used to drive an Eagle Vision that got 2 mpg better than the Lincoln LS I replaced it with. The LS weight is nearly identical to the Eagle, and the engine is smaller (3 litre vs. 3.5). It's apparent that Daimler/Chrysler knows something about fuel mileage.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • wolfie7wolfie7 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks..guess I'll have to go Chrysler and beg their forgiveness for buying a Pathfinder and hope they take pity on my in trade in value. 14 l/100 km is very poor. My jeep was a 95 Grand Cherokee 4W (all time)..and it got the best darn gas mileage around.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Well if you're getting 14 l/100 km you're doing well. That's the best I get on the highway. In town it's usually 15-18 l/100 - the higher readings in the winter. It is a two metric ton vehicle, after all.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Sorry you are displeased with the vehicle's efficiency. Did you not check the fuel economy specs before purchasing the Pathfinder?

I find that I can get much better fuel economy by limiting my freeway cruising speed to 65mph (105km/h) and accelerating gently. Another strategy for increasing efficiency is to use the "2WD" mode of the transfer case selector rather than the "Auto" mode.
  • toolman911toolman911 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 PF SE with 63,000 mi. lately the parking brake indicator light in the dash has been staying lit. At first it would stay on for a short time after releasing the brake handle then go out. Now it stays on all the time.
    I'm wondering if this has happened to any forum members and what the best fix may be. I will try to address any fixes myself, I'm sick of the inflated dealer shop rates we all pay.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Check the remaining material left on the front brake pads. You may need to replace the front brake pads soon.

The brake indicator light signals either that the parking brake is engaged or that the brake fluid is low. This happens because as the brakes wear, more fluid stays in the brake calipers. If you have an 1/8" or more of brake pad left, just add a little fluid to the reservoir and the light will go out.
  • prospective2prospective2 Member Posts: 25
    Jeep Grand Cherokees get better mileage than Pathfinders, but they are smaller vehicles. Its a tradeoff. If you don't need the extra room, get the Jeep.
  • wolfie7wolfie7 Member Posts: 3
    thought I'd done my homework before buying on gas mileage, obvious I didn't. Pathfinder is nice, but the poor mileage is hard to take. My two previous Jeeps did get great mileage.
  • mrcabinetrymrcabinetry Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response to this.

Needless to say, the customer got fed up with waiting and decided to go else where.

Thanks anyways.
    One of the vehicles I owned years ago was a Toyota Landcruiser, a 1978 wagon. It got 20 MPG Imperial, 20 L/100 km, and that was only after I put on Mich. street radial tires and cruised at 90 km/hr. It had about half the HP and torque of my current 2001 Pathfinder LE and was only slightly larger. I've gotten 11 L/100 km on my Pathfinder, though my "normal" highway mileage is around 14 L/100 km. I cruise around 120 km/hr. Winter city mileage is much worse of course, around 17 L/100 km.

To get good mileage with a Pathfinder, use 2WD not Auto. I only use Auto when the roads seem slippery. Use Mobil 1 (I use 10W30) - the increase in mileage saved about three times the increase in oil cost in less fuel used over the 6000 km between changes. Stay below 130 km/hr. Fuel consuption doesn't seem to change much from 100 to 120 km/hr. It's better at 90, of course, where I get 11 L/100 km - and that's on a mountain road with 17% grades!

I think that is good mileage, based on that comparison. I'm tickled not ticked! ;)
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    How much of a difference have you noticed in mileage between 2WD & AUTO. Obviously AUTO is 2WD unless you slip and I know the mileage will drop slightly just having AUTO engaged but I would have thought it would be pretty negligible.
    It's tough to say for sure because there are so many variables, but on average I find a 10 to 15% improvement in 2WD. So the fuel used would on average drop from 15-16 L/100 km to 13-14 L/100 km. In Auto the transmission uses power to generate the hydraulic pressure that activates the multi-plate clutch that transfers power to the front axle. You'd be surprised to learn that power is transferred even if the rear isn't slipping much. Ever notice when you stop that after about 10 sec. the vehicle "lurches"? That's the clutch disengaging.

I found a similar improvement using the Mobil 1 oil.
  • revhighrevhigh Member Posts: 3
    Were there any changes between 05 and 06 Pathfinder LE versions.
  • pathfinder02pathfinder02 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I simply love my 2002 Pathfinder LE, currently 66000 miles, that I bought 6 months back, but dont know much about its maintenance. I need advice from the experts in the forum on some maintenance and performance questions. I would really appreciate any inputs.

1) "Service engine soon" light is on (yellow). I got a diagnostic done and the codes are P0159 and P1167 - actions needed are ECM reprogramming and replace rear oxygen sensors (banks 1 and 2). Earlier, dealer said that the light was due to evap leak and got the light tripped off but it came on again. Can I get reprogramming done by Nissan under warranty (8 yrs/80k miles) and also what is approximate cost for replacing oxygen sensors?

2) The transmission fluid is clear and the mechanic told me it should be pinkish. He said I urgently need a transmission flush. Is this correct? I checked PF'02 manual and it says about automatic transmission fluid (ATF) but does not mention color. Should this be done only at dealer or can I take it to any automotive service store?

3) The mechanic said power steering fluid is not clear and I need a power steering flush. At what mileage is this required and do I really need this - meaning should I look at the level also or just the color? Same question for the radiator/coolant flush?

4) The mechanic also told me that I need new fan belts (both need to be replaced). How I can check that the current ones are in really bad shape? Also at what mileage do these really need to be changed for PF'02?

5) When I shift gear from P (park) to R (reverse), the vehicle's rear tends to dip downwards a little (whether in 2WD or in 4WD). I can feel this in the driver's seat. Is there some major problem or is this ok? Could anyone please explain why this may happen?

6) When I shut off the ignition, there is a thud sound and the vehicle shuts off in a jerky movement. Could anyone please explain why this happens and how this can be fixed?

This is my first post on this forum and I would really appreciate any details on my above concerns. Thanks in advance.

Sam
    1)I don't have my service manual with me but P0159 I believe relates to either the left or right rear oxygen sensor, but not both. There are a few things that could cause it (short in cable, etc.), but most likely you need to replace that sensor. From the dealership they are hundreds of dollars plus labor. You can buy the original equipment sensor at www.bosch4less.com for $50-$100. The ECM reprogram probably relates to a TSB that changes the oxygen sensor monitoring parameters. That is covered under the ECM part of the emissions warranty, however long that is (I dont' have my manual with me). But, the TSB says to replace the sensor first so if someone else does that you may have to show them proof that it's been done. My dealership had me show them the receipt for the sensor. Not sure about 1167 without my manual here.
    2) I've never heard of clear transmission fluid but I can't swear it doesn't exist. It's usually pink & turns grayish as it get dirty. Anyone can change your fluid, not just the dealership.
    3) The power steering uses transmission fluid so this should also probably be pink. The manual doesn't specify when to change it & I have not yet with 75,000 miles. Anybody have ideas about this? Most people recommend your coolant be changed every 2 years.
    4) I replaced my belts at 60,000 miles. Yours may be cracking or glazed over.
    5) Not sure
    6) That may be the transfer case disengaging if the 4WD is in AUTO. If that's all your feeling it's normal. After driving put the car stop & put the car in park and leave the engine running. See if after 30 seconds or so you feel the same thing.
    1) P0159 and P1167 are O2 sensor codes. See all Nissan OBDII codes here. Not sure how much they cost, as I've never had to replace mine yet.

2) ATF is cherry red, like cough syrup. It becomes brownish as it ages. It should never be CLEAR!

3) Power steering fluid and ATF are usually interchangeable. That is, you can usually use ATF instead of power steering fluid, but not the other way around. Some P/S fluid is clear. Perhaps that's what someone put in your transmission!

4) Like smokey posted, check the belts for cracks or glazing on the inside (ribbed) surface.

5) This is just the drivetrain torquing, which causes the rear suspension to move (since the brakes are preventing the rear wheels from turning). This is nothing to worry about.

6) smokey's post is right on the money. It's the auto-mode system disengaging. Use 2WD instead of Auto mode and the lurching condition will probably not happen.
  • flanneryflannery Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone, I just moved to Colorado about a year ago and it's time for new tires on my 1999.5 Pathfinder. Any recommendations??? Right now I have Deuler HTs on there, but they are pretty expensive and I'd rather not spend the money to get the same ones if there is a cheaper alternative. Thanks!
    What kind of tires do you want? Highway-only? All-terrain? How long do you expect them to last?

Check out tirerack.com for some ideas on what looks good.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Appreciate your participation here, both on this subject & one a few days ago.

I don't need tires yet, but will in the next year or so. I live in AZ, where there are excellent off-road adventures to be had, and we've done our share. OTOH, the vehicle spends 99% of its mileage on pavement or gravel & we don't take four-wheeling seriously enough to have a dedicated set of off-road tires. We air-down and crawl some pretty decent rocks.

So, from your perspective, what's a decent tire that spends most of its time doing mundane things, but can deal reasonably effectively with off-road stuff -- generally no mud, but lots of rocks and ledges. I'm in Sedona (on vacation) as I write this.

Thanks.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • flanneryflannery Member Posts: 2
    I'm mostly looking for an all-terrain tire. I do some 4-wheel driving, mostly driving through the mountains to ski resorts (so through ice and snow)/camp sites, etc. I replaced 2 of them about 3.5 years ago (approx 35,000 miles), I'd like them to at least last that long.
    Check out either the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A-ko or the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo in a 31x10.50R15 or something a little larger in size than your current tires. Both are good all-terrain tires.

I used to run BFG AT's before I swapped out to mud-terrain tires for extreme 4-wheeling. The BFG's lasted over 40,000 miles with mixed city/highway driving and a fair bit of severe off-road use.
  • terrikayeterrikaye Member Posts: 9
    The water pump on my 1994 Pathfinder(4wd) went out and my mechanic replaced it. Since replacing, it has no power. Very sluggish taking off and will not climb hills very well at all. Not good since I live in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. It sometimes has a sound like an intermittent hiss from the passenger side of the motor. It also surges at times while accelerating and while maintaining speed. My mechanic is baffled! Can you help?
    Sounds like the timing could be messed up. Did your mechanic change the timing belt along with the water pump? If so, he may have put the belt on incorrectly (off by one tooth).

Also, if your water pump failed, there's the possibility that the engine was damaged due to overheating.

Check-engine light on? If your mechanic is baffled, you might want to get a second opinion elsewhere, possibly at a shop that has emissions-testing equipment, which allows them to do a more thorough diagnosis.
  • willbingawillbinga Member Posts: 3
    I've been entertaining the thought of putting larger tires on my Pathy next time I need replacements. I believe I have 255X65 on there now (doesn't really matter, I know the dealership just put on cheap-o tires, a size down when the truck was on the lot)

Anyway, moving right along, I want to know how large I can go on a stock 02' SE. I would like to put on 31X10.5 BFG AT, I have run these on other vehicles and loved the way they handle, ride and look.

Thanks.
  • jeremy_kjeremy_k Member Posts: 3
    I have an annoying rattle in the back tailgate area of my 02 PF SE. I can't pinpoint it to one area. It just sounds as if the whole tailgate is rattling. I was able to silence the storage compartment lid under the carpet but something is still rattling and driving me nuts. Is there anything notorious on these for rattling apart? The minivan style tailgate is the only feature I hate about this SUV.
    The 31x10.50 size usually comes on a 15" wheel, so they won't work on your 16" wheels. A 265/70R16 will fit on the stock '02 SE with very slight rubbing during tight turns, so you could try either a 255/70R16 or a 265/65R16 if the tires you want are available in that size. The front plastic fender liners can be cut or heated and reshaped to reduce or eliminate rubbing.
  • texas_sam_08texas_sam_08 Member Posts: 4
    I have recently purchased a 97 PF 2WD auto for my first car(Its ok I am a fairly good and responsible young driver).
    Well I love the car and all but the front bumper/grill leaves me wanting more. I'm going for a "tougher" look so I am wondering what is a good looking and affordable grill guard for a 97. Thanks,
    Sam
  • dvrdwndvrdwn Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in getting a cold air intake but I can't locate one for my 98 PF LE. I also read that some people were having problems with their MAFS on their stock engines. All the intakes I have seen don't have the MAFS plug on them. Do you need this MAFS?
    You definitely need to keep the MAF sensor. Your engine won't run without it. Aftermarket intakes usually include some kind of adapter to retain the stock MAF assembly.

Stillen used to make a Pathfinder CAI, but it's hard to find. Some creative people have found ways to adapt warm-air intakes and convert them to CAI. Some of the common warm-air intakes are available from jim wolf technology and Weapon-R.

I have a JWT intake on my '97, and I routed some 4" flexible black ABS drain pipe from an opening in the bumper (such as below the turn signal) up though the opening where the factory intake used to be. This helps as a "ram-air" to help blow cooler air near the intake.

Here's a pic of my intake:

A colleague I know from another Pathfinder discussion board installed a Stillen CAI that he got on ebay. Here are his comments:

I just finished installing a Stillen Cold Air Intake in my 97. It's definately not for anyone going through mud or water. The kit is well thought out for the most part but there are some issues with the kit. I don't understand with all the parts that were included and all the trouble they went through, why would they have use one of the stock accordian type hoses. These things can't flow well. Also the grommet for the intake air temp sensor was too small for the hole in the pipe. Maybe a new grommet would help. The filter doesn't fit well under the wheel well cover and replacing the well was tough. I was thinking about getting a winch bumper, but now I will have to fashion some protection for the air filter as I'm guessing the wheel wells get removed with TJM and other bumpers. Here's some pics. I haven't started it yet. I'm letting some silicon cure that I used to take up the space from the grommet not fitting well.

I don't think Stillen makes this any more. I found it on ebay for $130 plus shipping. WOT is a bit louder, but I haven't really noticed anything else. Certainly not a tire smoking upgrade, but it was the right price and I thought it looked cool. I'll get on it a little this weekend, but I'm not expecting much.

• smokinpf1smokinpf1 Member Posts: 2
    Check your rear license plate. It could be the metal frame hitting the tailgate. I believe there was a TSB on that. I would also check into the side storage compartment in that area. Hope this helps.
    thanks for the info.I cheaped out and got the dragon afm intake.
    Time for new tires again on my 2001 PF. I'm looking at the Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor or Tripletred. Anyone have any experience with these or thoughts?
  • jishcorpjishcorp Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys,

The specs say that the fuel tank capacity on the 2001 pathy is 21.1 gallons. But when my gauge hits Empty, I could only fill around 15.5 gallons max. Did any one encounter the same issue? Or is there like a 6 gallon safety net? Thanks.

J
    They have left a much larger expansion space than usual on the Pathfinder. If you take lots of time you can actually fill the tank all the way - I do this all the time. The tank is about 65 L if you stop when the nossle cuts off. If I force (slowly) fill it I get an 80 Litre fill up. The extra fill gives me just over 100 km extra cruising range.

To do this, once the nossle cuts off, very slowly continue to fill, watching the fuel in the filler tube. You will be able to get an extra 10 L in there (3 gal or so). You have to watch closely. The fuel will suddenly start to rise in the filler neck and will not go down when you stop. Then it is truely full.
  • jishcorpjishcorp Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot for the response. I cant complain about the gas mileage...but I thought it would be great to get some extra range. Atleast enough gas to drive 4 hrs straight on the highway. Thanks a lot man. :)
    I put the afm intake on and when I took the stock air filter off there was a small 1-8" rubber hose attached to the air filter box but no where to put it on the new one.do I need it? What do I do with it?
  • sta5engineersta5engineer Member Posts: 2
    I want to replace my sepentine belt but I can't figure out how to release the pre-tensioner to remove the serepentine. Anyone out there that can help?
    There are two bolts to take care of. The one in the centre of the "pulley" is the one that fixes the unit in place. Loosen it and then use the long one to adjust the tension of the belt (release the tension to remove it, for example). I recommend some kind of belt tension measurement tool be used on these belts. It's real easy to over tighten them! One type is rather inexpensive.
  • sta5engineersta5engineer Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your help. You've saved me $200.00. If you're ever in California stop by for a beer. Labatt blue sound good?
  • gallengallen Member Posts: 4
    i have a 87 pathfinder with 4wd and 180k miles on it and i want to take it off road but not really offroad but like in the dirt and alittle bit of muddin but i need to know what r some upgrades i can do right now for not very high price to make my off roading fun
    First, get recovery gear such as a tow strap and some D-ring shackles. Next, upgrade your tires. BFG AT or MT, Bridgestone Dueler AT or MT, Goodyear MTR are good choices.

Beyond that, you'll need to refine the direction you want to take your truck modifications.
  • gallengallen Member Posts: 4
    well i really dont know much bout 4x4's and off roading so i dont know wat i want but i know i like to go on trails and drive in the dirt alot
    Start with all-terrain tires and recovery gear, and maybe a portable 12v air compressor to "air up" your tires after 4-wheeling. (Search google for "why air down tires" and read about the advantages of deflating your tires to below 20psi for off-roading.)

As you gain more experience driving off-road, and you start to exceed your truck's capabilities, you'll get a better idea of what's needed. There are lots of 4x4 web sites and online forums that you can learn more information from by just googling around a bit.

Enjoy!
  • jcashjcash Member Posts: 6
    I bought This 1995 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4. I had it sitting for 1 Year . I put new brake pads. I ordered a Master Switch to see if the power windows start working because when i got The Computstar Alarm Installed The guy showed me they worked but they keep blowing a Fuse. Other than that . My Water Pump started leaking Antifreeze and now i paid $600 to get it replaced with a new one and the mechanic start he would have to rearrange the timming belt. I was wondering if anyone knows any information on Superlift suspension for the 1995 Nissan Pathfinder Se 4wd?
  • flmidwife2bflmidwife2b Member Posts: 2
    Have 1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE so far have replaced transmission, Crank shaft pulley, Idler pulley, Battery, Alternator, Spark plugs, Air filter, Fuel filter. Now this isn't all at once the most recent was I admit I am one that likes to see the orange fuel light come on then drive another 50 miles. Well long story short car wouldn't start put more gas after jump would start had to tow home. Since changed battery then would start but would die after short distance (down block). Start with simple stuff checked fuses changed spark plugs first time in 128,000 changed air filter, fuel filter now code is reading faulty fuel temperature sensor does anyone know where this is located. Also the pathy smells of gas everytime try & start it. Lines checked should I just drop the fuel pump and change it or what route??? Help I learned my lesson!! Also any ecu information would be wonderful. Mama gotta get to work!
    I have the 1995 Nissan Pathfinder Se 4wd It was continously overheating and leaking antifreeze. Come to find out its the water Pump i paid $715 to get the water Pump replaced along with the timming belt .. And to take the Crank Shaft Pulley Replaced aswell. All new belts were inserted the mechanic states that i drove the car so much while it was overheating i burnt one of the Cylinders. So its a V5 not V6 can this be true because ever since the water pump was changed its not in correct timming and the car idles funny all day.
  • frenchfriesfrenchfries Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Pathfinder, I cant figure out why sometimes its shakes side to side when Im driving, could it be the shocks? or the suspension itself? :(
    You might want to check the motor Mounts . Their Cheap at Autozone. If the Problem continues Shocks
    Actually, if you read back in the posts on this forum you will find it's probably the rear suspension bushings. It's a common problem with older Pathfinders. As those posts say, you could replace just the bushings, but the labour would probably make it better to just replace the arms, bushings and all. Unless you want to go to Urethane bushings - then just replace the stock bushings with new Urethane ones.
  • phalanxphalanx Member Posts: 5
    Im planning to replace the timing belt (kit)Idler,belt,2ea seals,2ea hoses,thermostat & water pump. My question is the harmonic balancer. The manual shows a chain strap wrench to hold balancer, I can't find this wrench at any auto shops/stores in my county. What would you recommend other than this?
    Thank you for your time.
    Chris