Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

1152153154155156158»

Comments

• poncho2010poncho2010 Member Posts: 3
    Mounted on the inner fender behind the battery of my 2001 Pathfinder is the daytime running light module.

I just fiddled with the connector, and presto the headlights worked. The connection failed six more times, but with a bit of fiddling, the headlights have worked for the past three months without failure.

The module is very expensive, but the connection pins do not seem reliable and so far, I have not been able to activate my clock light. I don't know if this is a related problem.
  • mojobagginsmojobaggins Member Posts: 15
    My 2001 failed it's auto inspection. Was told that an emissions fail code was given by the computer.

Brought it to the dealership to discover that it's the check engine light bulb that's bad.

The friggin bulb is $37 but it's another $200 in labor(1.5 hrs) to remove the dashboard/instrument cluster to get to the bulb.

I know I'm getting ripped off but I'm thinking trying to reassemble everything isn't going to be an easy project. Am I wrong?
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    1.5 hours does not seem unreasonable. If you get a factory service manual for the truck, it includes detailed instructions on dashboard removal. I would not attempt it without those instructions.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    let me ask you something because I have the same problem shifting from park out to drive,I can here the click of the lock release when I step on the brake so I know it s working, what do you think of squirting some WD 40 down in the shift lock release and along the shaft of the shifter to lubricate it a bit.?
    let me ask you something because I have a problem shifting from park out to drive,I can here the click of the lock release when I step on the brake so I know it s working, what do you think of squirting some WD 40 down in the shift lock release and along the shaft of the shifter to lubricate it a bit.?
  • john660john660 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I've been Toyota/Honda all my life and have had 6 vehicles in a row that have gone over 300k kms (185k miles). I'm now considering a used 2008-10 PF and am wanting to know what longevity and reliability are like for PFs in general, please. Are there many of you that have driven them up over 300k kms without much hassle or do they start to break down at some point?

Thank you.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Not many '08+ with that kind of miles....I've seen some problems with the '05-'07 but some of that was supposed to be updated for '08 model. Have you owned a late model Honda for 185k miles? Honda has dipped IMHO and our '05 Odyssey had it's fair share of issues in 100k miles...and many of those problems continued right through the newer models. They're still decent vehicles...but not like the old ones where they didn't have much to break...and didn't.

I'm very pleased with my '08 Pathfinder over 50k miles. Has a few weird things it does...but nothing really to care much about. Goes hard, tows good, decent mpg, nice features. If Honda made something decent in this class I'd give it a look...but 4Runner was only other option for me and the PF won. I might keep it to 185k...who knows. If I like something I won't mind putting money into it either. So buy what you like...and hope for the best!
  • john660john660 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback...I didn't think anyone would already have that kind of mileage on an 08-10 PF, but wondered about older ones, are PFs usually pretty good for lots of kms/miles up in the several hundred thousand range, or do they start to fall apart eventually? My last two were Toyotas and both went up over 400k kms before I sold them (I put on about 60k kms/40k miles a year).
  • hutchscouthutchscout Member Posts: 2
    My 98 PF passed 300K miles the other day, on the same engine. Will probably replace it at some point with a 2004.
  • lpeters11lpeters11 Member Posts: 1
    I know you posted that message about the pet barriers, but I had a question about it. I bought one of the tension barriers and my dog got spooked one time and broke it. I am looking for something a lot more sturdy. It sounds like the one you are desribing is pretty nice, where did you buy it from?

Thanks!
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    When will the 2012 model will arrive at the dealers?

The Pathfinder is due for a total makeover. I hope they redesign the Pathfinder for the 2012 model year. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Redesign is set for 2013 and it will be turned into a car-based mom-mobile. That will leave the 4Runner as the only non-fullsize truck based SUV. And the 4runner isn't far from full-sized anymore.
    The Pathfinder should have been redesigned for the 2012 model year.

Nissan Pathfinder sales are declining every year......meanwhile Nissan will lose more market share in this segment.
    edited July 2011
    Define segment. Mid-size 4x4 on a truck chassis...not much to pick from. I think there's enough crossovers to pick from....leave a couple useful vehicles on the list so I don't have to buy a full-size next time around.

What exactly do you not like about the Pathfinder? Outside of the truck suspension (which is a plus if you're driving off-road and towing) I find it to be a very good vehicle as-is. I have made a few suspension mods to improve things (airbags, Bilsteins). I have several luxury brands in my garage and drive a lot of rentals...I think the PF does a terrific job for what it was designed and is the best all-around daily-driver I've owned in a long time. Great passing power for the 60 miles of rural two-laners, blasts through mining roads with little effort, decent features, comfy seats, good mpg, tows like a champ. Higher quality interior than the $45k Toyota Sienna we just bought! Last thing the PF needs is turned into just another useless crossover.
    edited July 2011
    You are correct: the Crossover product segment has been expanding at a rapid clip. Do you know why? The demand is immense....the demand is for an *urban* vehicle with good gas mileage.

Clearly Nissan had to make a decision: stay truck based or convert to a car chassis. Based on your earlier post, it appears that Nissan has chosen to compete with the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer and Dodge Durango.

IMHO, Nissan has made the right decision. If you need a SUV with serious offroading capability, please consider the redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee:
    http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2012/
    Nissan already has the Murano to compete with the Highlander/Pilot/et al. Toyota has held onto the 4Runner so I see no reason Nissan shouldn't as well. I've had a JGC...one was enough. It's car-based as well and not as tough as they pretend it is. Even less so with the latest revision.
  • sideman59sideman59 Member Posts: 2
    I put 145,000 mi on my 98 LE before a major leak in the tranny required a replacement. The shop where I did it (Palm Springs - yes, I was on a road-trip) recommended a transmission cooler which they put in while doing the tranny. It adds a roughly 10" x 10" radiator in front of the main radiator and lines back to the trans. It was cheap ($40 parts and about 15min labor) but then I was doing a full main and 4wd tranny replacement ($950 for the tranny and a lot of labor) so they cut me a break. After about 1000mi I spotted a very small leak, took it back and they tightened the coller line couplings. Since then I'm up to 151,000 with no problems. My driving takes me over I40 between the Bay Area and southwest Colorado as well as some 10k passes in Colorado so the cooler seems to have been a good addition. I will be flushing the tranny about every year just to keep the lines and interior channels clear. The shop owner told me that the dealer where he got the take-out replacement transmission (it's taken out of an SUV that is headed for the scrap heap but the tranny is fine) said that year and model Pathfinder is known for poor cooling and a separate cooler is a very good idea. I agree completely with xplor4 that it's a good bit of protection. Good luck.
  • kmitchell16kmitchell16 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 pathfinder ac will blow cold air and then just start blowing hot air for a little bit and then go back to blowing cold air does anyone know what could be causing this. Please help
  • franko76franko76 Member Posts: 1
    One day the a/c and heater just stopped blowing air on my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4. When I am driving above 50 mph depending on what temperature I set it at, I can slightly feel some air (ie. if I have the temp at 60 I can feel cold air if I have the temp at 90 I can feel hot air). If the car isn't in motion there is no air what so ever coming out of the vents. I checked all the fuses and all the connections to see if maybe some wires were just bad and everything turned out fine. It doesn't seem to be an electrical issue because the digital dash is showing everything. I can lower and raise the temperature turn it on auto and econ etc... but nothing is coming out of the vents. My defrost is also not working. Any help would be so great. I just don't know what it could be.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I have the same exact truck, and had the same exact problem last year. In my case the fan motor needed to be replaced. The air you feel coming in at highway speeds is being vented in from outside the truck. Once you have completed the repair, please post here again as to what the exact problem was and cost to repair as it will potentially help other users, thanks!
  • bleujaibleujai Member Posts: 6
    Had the same exact thing happen in my 2001 SE 4x4. Fan just stopped working, and have to rely on the highway to get AC or Heat from the speed pushing it through. Confirmed, the motor is shot. If your under warranty They own it. If not, try junk yards but I haven't had much luck as this appears to be a part looked for often..do I smell another recall NISSAN
  • pathalogicalpathalogical Member Posts: 34
    Any Canadian PF owners receive the letter from Nissan Canada Inc. regarding "corrosion that may cause strut tower housing damage" ?
    I'm in new england and received the interim notice and was about ready to move West so took it in to have it checked out, mind you after it had been inspected for the move, and it's unrepairable..not too happy about any of this
  • vetteladyvettelady Member Posts: 1
    I am in NY state, received the same notice, what are they going to do for you since they say it is unrepairable? I have 2 pathfinder 97 & 99. I am just curious if they are going to make it right with you somehow?
    I received a notice for my 2003 pathy , however they said they will notify me with further investigation ,so I'm just waiting , i don't not have any steering problems or noises. :confuse:
    I had no steering problems or noises either, but I had a lot of front quarter panel rot, which is the problem..if that goes it puts tension on the front drivers strut..It was a problem...my brake lines were exposed too..if you don't have any rot on the quarter panel on drivers side, wait for their reply, otherwise, bring it in..it's a big dea
    One would think they would make it right, but this has been a nightmare.. and they were/are not prepared. NO they did nothing right by me like Toyoto did for their customers..Not 1 dam thing. I can't tell you how much NISSAN will never be in my life again. From a family of Nissan and infinity owners, Never again. If you have front driver side quarter panel rot, it's a problem. You won't get a rental if #1. you don't have Full coverage on your current vehicles, and #2. You don't have a major credit card,for the rental.. as if they think your insurance would cover their vehicle on your policy under a RECALL, No, it doesn't, check with your insurance co. It's a recall, it's their problem. They left me for almost 2 months with nothing to drive, and I live alone .. Yep, they simply don't care, and I called everyone and their uncle. Gave me Kelly blue book, and their military discount, which differs depending on what you buy but it's 6k off a pathfinder.. No thanks, time to move on, SO tired of rot since the Datsun days because they cut corners..check out some of the new ones with the chop job out of factory with steel riveted plates,this is a big Old problem they knew about for a lot longer than recent. They don't care about their customers.. I was lucky, I bartered with another well know SUV Co and they gave me their military discount. Bye to Nissan, happy Now. I have a lot more to add, but I can't.
  • nzmavericknzmaverick Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just ticked over 100,000 miles (160,000km's) on my 2008 PF.

I do a lot of long highway driving and have been religious in my fluid changes and have used all premium synthetics (running Mobil 1 for the first 80,000, Castrol Edge last 20,000).

I haven't had it in to a dealer for ANYTHING in those 100,000 miles. I'm still on original plugs etc. I plan on my first "major" service in the next 5-10,000 miles to do the water pump, plugs etc. The pump is a subjective it seems - some say do it at 105,000 others at 120,000. I consider the water pump to be preventative maintenance...

This is a great truck. Drives strong, pulls well. Good MPG, very comfortable (240lbs, 6'2"). I'll probably replace it with another when I get to around 200,000 miles. You wont be disappointed. Just make sure you get a well serviced vehicle if its used.
    Don't expect you'll be able to buy a new one at that point. 2013 Pathfinder (or whatever they call it) will be a grocery-getter cross-over type thing. The mid-size SUV market will be dead at that point. Having good luck with my '08 now at 55k miles. Great performance and 19-21mpg on my commute in a 4x4 is impressive. My last truck barely turned 15mpg and didn't have the oomph that this does.
    I have an 03 pathy and no trouble Icheck all my fluids top them off change the filter and oil every 3,000 miles .I plan to get 200,000 miles out of this baby . my wifes sonata 4 cyl has 127 ,000 miles and no trouble with just the same oil changes I do myself. I don't even think Ill have a full tune up until I reach 150,000 if I need it because it runs so well . My theory is these cars and trucks are perfect when they are from the factory to the new owners hands, then when the first service is due for a transmission bull flush or fuel injectors service clean jobs , then its all over the car now is never going to be the same once these so called mechanics rushed for time on there Jobs and could CARE less about tightening things with a torque wrench . just matter of time
  • eyeh91158eyeh91158 Member Posts: 1
    I just brought my 2000 Pathfinder in to get checked for the recall yesterday. They tell me that the rust from the strut tower has also eroded the frame of the car and it is un-repairable! Next step is to call in some "expert" from Nissan to make the determination. Then they will apparantly "buy me out". This sounds like they want me to buy a new car. (which I'm not). I loved this car and can't afford a new one. Anyone else have this happen? They said this could take weeks and they have given me a rental at no charge. I'm in CT, by the way.
    there is a recall on that strut and they must by law of the national safety counsel fix it , I checked under my fender wells and on top at the strut I'm lucky they Are like new on a 2003 pathfinder,

Owners of model year 1996-2004 Nissan Pathfinder and 1997-2003 Infiniti QX4 SUVs should be expecting a letter from their dealerships or Nissan/Infiniti next month.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has determined that road salt and melted snow can build in the strut housing causing it to corrode and possibly crack. This can result in grinding noises, increased steering effort, and even the loss of steering.

About 225,650 Pathfinders from model years 1996-2004 and about 45,330 Infiniti QX4 SUVs from model years 1997 to 2003 are affected in the U.S. and Canada.

A notification letter will be sent to customers affected by the recall on or before May 16, 2011, or owners may contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261. Nissan will inspect the strut housing and repair the problem free of charge.

Read more: http://blogs.automotive.com/strut-housing-corrosion-leads-to-nissan-pathfinder-i- nfinite-qx4-recalls-12344.html#ixzz1p2B7OpGA
  • poapoa Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE JUST BOUGHT ONE UNIT OF THIS JEEP FROM TEXAS AND THE FIRST PROBLEM NOTICED WAS THAT THERE WAS A MIX OF WATER FROM THE RADIATOR TO THE TRASMISSION SYSTEM.
    THIS WAS DRAINED AND THE REPAIR WAS MADE TO AVOID THE LEAKAGE OF WATER.
    WHAT I NOTICED WAS THAT THE TRANSMISSION IS ALREADY BAD .
    I AM IN NIGERIA AND MY LOCAL MACHANIC ADVICED FOR A COMPLETE CHANGE OF THE TRANSMISSION.
    HOW DO WE MANAGE THIS PROBLEM.
    IT WAS ALSO DISCOVERED THAT MAJORITY OF THESE MODEL HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEM.
    THE INVESTMENT IS ALREADY MADE .
    HOW DO WILL RECTIFY THIS.
    KINDLY ADVICE.

PIUS
  • poapoa Member Posts: 2
    NISSAN SHOULD SOLVE THIS PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY AND ADVICE CUSTOMERS ALREADY HAVIVING THE PROBLEM ON THE WAY FORWARD.
    THIS IS REQUIRED TO RETAIN CUSTOMERS LOYALTY.
    THANKS
    PIUS
  • jcirinojcirino Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder and your saying that P255/70 R16 will fit the pathfinder SE with no problems?
    they are hoping your warranty runs out first so your stuck with the bill
  • pathalogicalpathalogical Member Posts: 34
    Hey All,

Looks like next year I'll be looking to replace the original tires. Just wondering what fellow PFers have chosen. Likes or even dislikes after a purchase. The factory tires are Dunlop Grandtrek TG35. I'm interested in same size, all season replacements (P245/70R16). Started checking some online reviews of major brands, but too many mixed messages; one says they're great, the next says they're no good. Thanks !

2003 PF in Toronto.
  • Hugo_StiglitzHugo_Stiglitz Member Posts: 167
    Does anyone know when the 2014 Pathfinder will be for sale?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2013
    It's supposed to be on sale now. But when I try the Inventory link under the New Cars tab above, I can't find any in the couple of zip codes I've tried.

We don't have the 2014 on the new vehicle pages yet either but there's this
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder Starts at $29,545 story that says it's out there.

Anyone?
  • mysticdavemysticdave Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2003 pathfinder se 4×4 with 130k. Truck runs good, but I have noticed that the engine tends to be sort of loud and a bit rattled when over 3000 rpms.I switched to synthetic 5w 30 (I live in sc) along with lucas oil treatment in hopes that it will prolong the life.Is the noise I'm hearing normal or could it have something to do with a problem I have heard of during those years with a screw coming loose and falling into the pistons?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to get in touch with car owners who are waiting for replacement parts, etc. for their faulty Takata air bags. If you're an affected owner and you'd like to help, please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Monday, November 9, 2015.