Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• Options
    curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    I have got, let's see here, the Tribute is two and a half weeks old . . . somewhere around 2300 miles on her. That is 12 tanks of gas averaging 22 mpg hwy and 18 city. Yeah, the highway miles are not that great, but, don't tell the FHP this, I was going an average speed of 80-84 mph. As for the city driving, it is at least 30 minutes twice day in bumper to bumper traffic on I-95 (with frequent stops). However, even with this comute, every day around 2pm I start itching to jump in the Tribute and drive in that bumper to bumper traffic. What can I say, I LOVE to drive this SUV.

via con Dios,
    me.
  • Options
    edster1edster1 Member Posts: 12
    F.Y.I, my highway gas mileage is based on two recent trips of 250 miles each. Both times, I used cruise control. I live in central Ohio....the roads are flat, so don't blame it on the cruise control.

In the city, I drove with the figurative "egg under the accelerator pedal"...no way, no how it's me! It's the car...period. I just hope the mileage get's better...Now don't you feel like an idiot!
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Do you know what kind of "computer" they were able to put on your car and tell you your mileage? Also, was that something they did with or without a test drive? There must be something wrong with your Trib, I don't know anyone with mileage that poor.

:)
  • Options
    It was not a computer in the sense of a "laptop". It was a box about the size of a laptop that connected to a port on the driver's side toward the floor board. The technician and I took a test drive, and we watched the readout on the computer. The computer had two panels...one showd an average and one showed a fluctuating figure, depending on whether we were coasting or accelerating. The whole time, the technician was telling me about how many of these demonstrations he's had to give, and that the figures provided by the computer were not really reflective of actual driving results. I asked, "then why do this"? He had no real answer. The bottom line is, they know there is a problem. Mine may be worse than normal, but on average, the mileage touted is not close to what is advertised. My only complaint is that they continue to advertise the Tribute as a fuel-efficient SUV when, on average, it is not.
  • Options
    Do you always buy your gas from the same company? Try a different brand or grade of gas. Like I said, I know a few other folks with Tribs and they have not had the same problem.

• Options
    dude17dude17 Member Posts: 8
    I bought my LX V6 2WD in October. I have been recording the MPG from the first fillup. My driving is half City and half Hwy. Hwy driving is 65-70MPH . Average of all fill ups is 21.4MPG at 7,992 miles, lowest 19.3MPG highest 27.5MPG (last fill up). A combination of Oxygenated fuel and the winter in NJ causing quite a few traffic jams, lower the mileage results. I expect milage to improve as we go into spring.
    It is obvious not all Tributes are having a milage problems and the best way to dismiss a warranty fix is to suggest the customer has a heavy foot.
    Is you tribute always in overdrive (no light on)?
    If you are in O/D and cruising at 66 MPH your Tach should read 2K RPM. If your RPM's are higher you may not be in O/D.
    If you use Cruise control on a flat Hwy the RPM's should stay constant.
    Notice if the Tach is steady or if the indicator jumps up in RPM's.
    If RPM's spike upward whenever a bump is hit check the brake pedal switch adjustment.
    If the RPM's spike upward it indicates the transmission is downshifting.
    I hope these suggestions might help you solve your problem.
  • Options
    omnibudomnibud Member Posts: 24
    yeilded over 20 mpg, we picked up the trib from a dealer ~60 miles away, so that was a lot of hwy driving. like i posted earlier, our mileag(es 4X4) is almost right on the epa posted figures. just checked the last tank of all cty driving and it came in at 17.9 mpg...the only time i got poorer mileag was when i was blasting all over the place ~15.5 mpg, shortly after break-in. this is not to say all tribs get the posted mileage, many have reported much poorer than posted figures and in the defense of the edster, it can't be attributed to driving style. my question is, where is the fuel going?
    in response to currey, i'm using mobile 1 5w30 because that seems to be what i've been using for so long on everyting, and the 5w20 is a pain to find.
  • Options
    stecamstecam Member Posts: 15
    Not sure if this applies to you, but I've noticed on my Trib that once I pass a certain MPH, mileage drops like a rock. It seems to be in the 75-80 mph range. If I go below this, mileage is great, but above, it sucks. Cruise control does not make much of a difference. I know mileage decreases as speed increases, but I don't know why there seems to be this sudden difference within this small range. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    The gas mileage on the Tribute 6 cyl dx is horrendous. As is the fuel smell, wind noise, rust under the dash and with the tail pipe. odd noises from the rear end. Odd little interior designs, shift blocks the defroster, it does not shut off, it's always on. 4wd control can be mistakenly left on if you don't see the light. Window sill padding is sparse. At 6000 miles the mileage did not improve. I was always looking under the hood to see if I smelled fuel. Brought it in 4 times for that fix, it seemed to be on it's way back. Also driveablity was not that good, to much hesitation, that is if you jammed down on the accelerator.

However, much to my surprise there was a fix, drove the sucker to the Mazda dealer and drove home in a 2001 626 lx v6. I don't look under the hood any more as I don't smell gas, all those other problems have vanished. I just get in and drive, don't really think about anything any more, what a relief, to finally be free of the service department.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    for the Tribute/Escape are out. They will also be covered on tonight's Dateline NBC.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0105.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_smsuv.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

• Options
    anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    there is a site goving the mazda tribute a 5 star side test and 4 and 5 for front, and now on dateline it says that it is horrible, which one to believe, if that is true i will sell my tribute
  • Options
    smehdersmehder Member Posts: 18
    Don't know the driving habits of others, but my ES-V6 2WD is getting between 20-21 within the city. On my 4th tank and there is no variance. I think the fuel usage has to do with the right foot, not the vehicle.
  • Options
    bshapbshap Member Posts: 23
    The NHTSA site it for front impact and side impact ratings. IIHS does front offset crashing, which it like smashing the front corners of your car. Don't sell your Tribute. The Tribute has very low insurance costs (or at least theyre predicted to go lower than the other small SUVs soon) and the Tribute has the best bumper and costs the least to repair in an accident.
  • Options
    anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    but why would it do so poorly, have u seen the crash test result pics of the offset, it scares me, but is the the crashtest info still acurate. Replacing the back bumper cost bout 750 includint the replacement of one backlight cover, is thsi supposed to be cheap,. Teh reason i know this is b/c my sis got into an accident, but i am scared of this poor crash test rating, i wa sthinking of getting a 2001 pathfinder (i know they are remodling this yr)
  • Options
    e2ee2e Member Posts: 54
    Why would you get a Pathfinder? It looks to me like that did WORSE than the Tribute! Marginal overall, Poor in the Structural category (vs. Marginal for the Tribute), Marginal in the Restraints category (vs. Acceptable for the Tribute)....
  • Options
    gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    Pretty bad when the Escape-Mazdog came in at "Marginal." Better for the the Toyota RAV-4 at "Acceptable" and great for the Hyundai Santa Fe at "good."
    The many Escape-Mazdog recalls, shifting lever on the column and now the test results have negated my interest in the Escape-Mazdog. Several dealers in my area had the guts to add a $2000 additional markup to these "Marginal" vehicles. Good Luck.
  • Options
    participantparticipant Member Posts: 29
    Not giving up the Tribute, but Formaz must absolutely respond to this truthfully and correct with recall if necessary. They've harmed the resale value. The report says the head hit the wheel through the airbag (fault of depowering??). Also noted that IIHS had to go to Ford for some leg data that was lost in their test. So what did Ford have for results when they tested vehicle before they sold it? The reviews of these cars contained a quote from Ford that they expected top crash scores. How so? The Ford safety boss was quoted as saying they're disappointed and will look at data to see if any changes necessary. I think,well, yeah, changes are necessary and on the 2001s that people PAID STICKER FOR.
  • Options
    "report says the head hit the wheel through the air bag (fault of depowering??)"

If I remember correctly, there were others mini-SUVs with the same issue. It's tough to make a bag that doesn't injure you at 8mph, but keeps from being injured at 40mph. Because automakers faced lawsuits based on government regulations(high powered air bags), they fought for depowered bags. Some automakers just move the steering wheel forward a bit, in relation to the pedals, making for a very awkward driving position.
  • Options
    1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    A casual look under the hood shows that the engine is more of a barrier on the right side and the battery and various electronics and cables aren't so much of a barrier on the left. This seems like it might be good design for a right hand drive vehicle in a crash test. I'm sure the Mazda designers worked very hard to design a safe vehicle. I wonder how Tribute would do in a similar Japanese crash test where the impact would happen on the right side. Let's not be too critical of the initial Japanese design but perhaps question what was given up when it was then adopted as a left hand drive vehicle for US drivers. - Just a quick untested observation. Take a look yourself!
  • Options
    Post 519 by 1jimv1 is a real astute observation. The sales pitch should now be "we want to protect our precious passengers." I saw a sad thing today in northern Chicago suburbs. A yellow Escape that was the first Trib/Escape I saw while commuting in Trib. now has a For Sale sign in front window right by driver. It's such a happy looking car to have the owner so obviously dissapointed with it.
  • Options
    proudpapaproudpapa Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know if there is an insert you can get for the console (big as a bucket). I traded a 93 Explorer that had an insert in the console that held tapes and would love something like that.
  • Options
    stecamstecam Member Posts: 15
    I'm a bit disappointed with the offset tests, but keep in perspective - CRV and pre 01 models of Rav 4 performed about the same as the Trib, as did the Pathfinder, Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. According to the test, the Izuzu is a rolling deathtrap, and the only small SUV that did decent is the Santa Fe (which all Santa Fe owners are quite vocal about).

If you check out other non-SUV vehicles, you will see a bunch of marginal and poors - my last car a Cavalier, ranked poor in most catagories, but has been a top seller for years. Didn't seem to affect my insurance much either.

This test is one of many safety criteria to look at - the NHTSA gave the Trib 4 and 5 stars in their testing, and I've heard of other tests which give the Trib a good safety review. Again, I'm a little disappointed, but no regrets on buying the Trib (especially when my other choices faired no better on this particular test).
  • Options
    dude17dude17 Member Posts: 8
    I use a CD holder that was purchased at CompUSA. It holds 6 CD's and fits in the console. Additional CD's can stand up outside the case to utilize the entire area of the console. They can be interlocked with each other to make a larger capacity holder if desired. The one I have is white, but you can probably find them in other colors. I believe the brand is Case Logic, but
    I'm sure you can find something similar in another brand. Look in any store that sells computer accessories.
  • Options
    big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    One of the nicest features of the Tribute is the handling. I think the ability to avoid accidents should also be considered when thinking about the safety of a vehicle. As far as SUV's go, the Tribute has very nimble handling. The Subaru Forester is the only SUV type vehicle I have driven that I would consider having better handling than the Tribute. Just my $.02.
  • Options
    I'm over the disappointment with the crash test. But it started me thinking on a really useless topic. Does putting brush bars (metal or plastic) on these vehicles make them "safer" or more dangerous? Could be safer because of extra barrier, could be more dangerous because of having a rigid piece of material to alter or magnify transfer of forces in crash.
  • Options
    bshapbshap Member Posts: 23
    Improperly designed and installed brush guards can interfere with the airbag deployment sensors. Only get brush guards specifically designed for a vehicle.

P.S. You arent going to ruin the front end of your Tribute my putting on hideous brush guards, are you?
  • Options
    It was just a stupid question. But I am curious how it effects structure (even the ones specifically designed for vehicle). I don't think there's going to be much of an aftermarket for Tribute stuff, but will enjoy seeing what there is. What I really am going to get is a Ford oval (need a big one)from a junkyard to fit over the Mazda logo on front; When I go for the first service, I want to see if they notice.
  • Options
    Do any cars still use air bag sensors? I know side impact air bags use sensors, but I think in frontal collisions the air bags rely on the control unit that measures rapid deceleration.

• Options
    rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    Besides the possible problems previously mentioned, there is the additional one of weight distribution. Those brush guards aren't exactly light and the extra weight that far on the front of the vehicle will have to be compensated for in driving style.

On a bigger SUV, it might not have that much of an adverse effect, but I had a brush guard on the front of a 2-door Suzuki Sidekick and it *definitely* made it nose-heavy. When driving the thing, it always felt like the nose was on the ground and the rear was five feet in the air.

Unless I planned on taking an SUV off-road on a regular basis where there was a strong possibility of damage to the lights/grillwork from shrubs, trees, etc. (not likely, esp. with a Tribute), I think I'd pass on buying a brush guard for any SUV I ever own.
  • Options
    leesanickleesanick Member Posts: 3
    Ed, just out of curiosity, how are you calculating your gas mileage? I have an ES FWD, which I've had for about a month, and I've gotten anywhere between 20 and 24 miles a gallon. Each time I fill up the tank, I get a printout of my receipt with the exact number of gallons on it. Then, I look at my Trip Odometer and divide the number of miles by the gallons I've just put in...even though the Tribute has a 16.5 gallon tank, the most gas you could have used is however much you're able to pump back into it. I figured that's the best way to calculate gas mileage, and I've been keeping all of my receipts so that I can have a record of it. Please don't think I'm assuming that you're incapable of figuring this out, but if you're getting such awful gas mileage, I'd be a little concerned too, and I thought I might try to be of some help! Good luck!
  • Options
    mikelpmikelp Member Posts: 5
    For reference...
    2 Months with my Desert Metallic LS 4WD and my mileage has been ranging between 19-21 mpg in mixed driving, rarely using the A/C.
    I sure was hoping to get closer to that "24 mpg Highway" rating when I bought it.
    Oh well, maybe I wasn't being realistic considering the V6 and the size/weight of the Trib.
    ALOHA FROM HAWAII...
  • Options
    Never thought about the weight effect. I like the the Forester; it would still be my 2nd choice behind Tribute/Escape, and I think the Forester's optional plastic brush guard (a/k/a urban parallel parking aid) looks neat in a streamers on the handlebars sort of way.
  • Options
    expwtlou2expwtlou2 Member Posts: 8
    I ordered my wife's tribute es 6 months ago ...Went to the dealer today and of course the salesman no longer works there...another nightmare.I talked with the sales manager and he could not give me a production date or a VIN #.Is this a seinfeld episode or what? Has anyone else out there waited this long for a tribute es loaded..... I received a nice little MAzda cooler - backpack 3 months ago ....I want my vehicle.....I called customer service today and they asked me to give me the VIN# AND THEY COULD TRACK IT FOR ME....I was told at the dealer that they didn't have the VIN#....Customer service told me that was B.S....(Not in those words)...Any words of wisdom in Bizzaro World..is elaine George or is george ...Elaine....Thanks for any words of wisdom....I want the vehicle
  • Options
    mystic7mystic7 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the process of trying to buy a Tribute and wanted the Abs package (among others...) I can find the car I want minus the Abs package and the moon roof. My dealer is willing to put the moon roof in as an after market item - I've seen the one they will install in a DX on the lot (I'm looking at the LX) and it looks great. Is this a bad approach for a moon roof?

I've been to four local Mazda dealers and spoke on the phone with two others and they all tell me the same thing - there are no models available with the Abs package, they will make no promises that if I order a Tribute with the Abs package it will ever show up. They talk about "filtering" at the manufacturing plant (pushing the order back until they have the parts for it) and the fact that we're not that far away from when the plant makes the change in model year.

I'd welcome comments from others on whether they are being told the same thing or if this is some form of sales tactic for the dealers to move their existing LX stock off the lot... I'd also like to know if I should hold out for the Abs package; is it worth it?
  • Options
    tinoman1tinoman1 Member Posts: 42
    everywhere I read people wait 6 months or longer for tributes. check out yahoo club for tribute as well. the main problem as I see it is the almost 4 to 1 production ratio of escapes to tributes. ford is controlling the production to satisfy the ford dealers first, although the trib is probably as popular. there are also some serious quality control issues (I'm not talking about the recalls - they have been fixed & were mostly minor as well), but in general QC is a big question on this vehicle. also design flaws in the v6 exhaust manifold have the VP's scratching their heads. I cancelled my trib after 3 month wait & ordered a new jeep liberty.
  • Options
    Where do these QC issues lie? Also, please enlighten us about the exhaust manifold.

• Options
    bajabillbajabill Member Posts: 60
    even with the poor rankings within class, wouldnt these vehicles perform better than the 2600 lb passenger cars. Every test report I read says at the bottom of the page, in small print, that you cant compare between class of vehicles. But, it is also stated that heavier vehicles are safer than lighter ones, especially in car to car collisions.

With that, I would assume you are still safer in the poor mini suv than the ave to good compact car.

Question, can you get the auto tranny in the 4 cyl, 2wd.
  • Options
    dgiovannidgiovanni Member Posts: 13
    I've read that the Escape is coming out with "the Escape hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) in 2003, a full hybrid that uses an electric motor for propulsion and a 4-cylinder gasoline engine." Does anyone know if Mazda is planning the same thing with the Tribute?
  • Options
    No, I believe the 4cy only comes with the stick. I could be wrong and I am sure someone will let us both know if I am. Anyway, I know the 4 gets better gas mileage, but test the 6 ya might like it.
  • Options
    V-6 comes as an auto, I-4 is a stick, no exceptions.

• Options
    bajabillbajabill Member Posts: 60
    it looked like that in the edmunds option pages, just wanted to make sure.

I am thinking of downsizing from a v8 explorer, wanting to get over 20 mpg mixed use driving. Not just 22 mpg when I drive dedicated highway, and the 4 cyl looked like it had the cushion to insure that. But, manual is out of the question.
  • Options
    1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    Mazda is a small financially cautious company that seriously underestimated demand, especially for high end Tributes, very especially for ABS and they wouldn't initially allocate the resources to contract for nearly enough parts flow into the assembly plant. Production of parts has to be ramped up a lot and that takes real time, especially with Ford also trying to increase their own orders with outside suppliers too. Ford does not control Mazda production or their parts situation! Mazda has it's own assembly line under it's own direction running parallel with the Escape line, They just aren't prepared to crank out Tributes fast enough. Ford is much better prepared partswise. They also have five times as many dealers to supply. They are cranking on their line! That explains the 4 to 1 production ratio and the long wait. QC isn't it!
  • Options
    jellzzjellzz Member Posts: 7
    Suburban Mazda in Troy, MI, has at least 10 ES models in stock, but they have taken the stickers off all of them. There is no way to know what the prices are or what options are on them. What is the reason for this and is it legal?
  • Options
    Where do you get that info from? Separate production lines? And Mazda contracting with suppliers?

I can not say for sure that this is nnot correct, but from the best of my understanding, production and parts supply is controlled by Ford. I am certain that Ford is responsible for the production mix, otherwise Mazda would be producing far less DX models.

• Options
    promocraigpromocraig Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know who makes the engine and transmission for the tribute? is it ford or mazda?

thanks
  • Options
    right down to the oil dip stick.
  • Options
    of the manual transmission, which is made by Mazda.
  • Options
    hfdadhfdad Member Posts: 29
    I've noticed some complaints about fuel economy from the Tributes. I just bought mine and noticed on pages 190-191 in the owner's manual that it is not recommended to check mpg until you have 2-3k miles on them to get accurate measurement. Engine must go through a break in period. Also, from my experience if you can keep tach needle below 2000 you will achieve optimum mileage.
  • Options
    bocaredbocared Member Posts: 3
    Just a note: My Tribute LX just passed 1,000 miles, and it got 21mpg on the last tankful, on mostly highway miles and some A/C usage. Not so bad.
  • Options
    Yes, I calculated gas mileage the same way you suggest.... it's the only accurate way. With 5,000 miles on it, I am getting significantly better mileage than I got at the 3,000-mile mark. Over the same 200 mile trip I take (on a biweekly basis), my mileage improved from 17 mpg to just under 22 mpg. My city mileage (100% city driving) was recently at just under 17 mpg... up from 12 mpg a month earlier. Mazda said that this is not unusual... others have had the same experience. The local Mazda rep. noted that some people continued to see improvement past the 5,000-mile mark. We'll see!