Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• Options
    1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    The 2.3 liter 4cyl engine is expected to be available in Ford Ranger trucks in MARCH 2001 according to the inline engine program manager Joe Pratt. An earlier introduction was delayed to improve block stiffness and head clamping pressure because of concern over vibration, noise, and harshness. This engine is tuned for 130 hp and 130 lb-ft torque. If you want to try comparable performance of this engine with a manual transmission test drive the Ranger (2.3) truck this month. The weights of the Ranger and Tribute are similar. This engine will be the base engine with M/T in the 2002 Escape/Tribute. See www.blueovalnews.com Feature Report 2/19/01 "Ford Inline to have a Winning Array of Small Engines" by Chris Paukert. Mazda had a lot of participation in this design.
  • Options
    onthehuntonthehunt Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone gone to a 2002 new car show and seen the 2002 Tribute? I missed the show in Houston and am wondering if Mazda will make any cosmetic changes on the 2002 model.
  • Options
    dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    Just a slight correction: the new 2.3L will make 140hp @ 5050rpm and 155ft-lb torque @ 4050rpm in the Ranger/B-series. A nice increase from the current 2.0.

I'll be test-driving a Ranger 2.3 this spring, but I haven't decided whether to get a 4cyl Ranger/B-series or a 4cyl Escape/Tribute. I'm currently driving an old Ranger 4x4.
  • Options
    johnheinejohnheine Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard what's up with the Tribute for 2002??? From reading the Edmunds review and others, it seems Mazda has a few things to nail down from this first model year.
    --John
  • Options
    jordan29jordan29 Member Posts: 20
    2 week old tribby gets 17 mpg city driving. i was gentle on the pedal though. not the greatest, but not bad and should improve once break-in is done.

also got the bug deflector from mazdastuff.com. seems like it's an OEM part, made in the land down under. haven't installed it yet and got it at under $40! far less than dealer price!
  • Options
    funokafunoka Member Posts: 13
    There were a few earlier postings about a gift from Mazda for those of us who waited months for the Tribute . . . and sure enough we returned home last night to find a UPS box from the Mazda Marketing Department.

Inside is a yellow insulated cooler backpack with a Mazda logo on it. The letter apologizes for the long wait because of the high demand for the vehicle. It was nice that they at least acknowledged the problem, unlike some companies.

Approaching 1,000 miles on the Trib with no problems. Had some admiring comments from people with more expensive SUVs about the ride, look, and even the interior (!).

Shop carefully for the Trib. A dealer in our area (Nothern VA) is quoting prices in excess of $25,000 (one Trib he's got priced at over $27,000!) for LX models before taxes, tags, freight. We paid under $24,000 for our loaded ES!
  • Options
    dan1952dan1952 Member Posts: 3
    I received a call on 3-07-01 from my Mazda dealer.
    They told me an ES is schedule for production in
    April. The vehicle is scheduled for the 2nd week
    of the month. The dealer recommended I take it.
    He said my order would probable not be filled until about July. I had ordered an ES with almost
    all options. It sticker price is $26,000. The
    vehicle the dealer was offering was also an ES.
    It had all the options I had ordered plus cargo
    net and rear step bumper. He said I would have to pay for the bumper, but they will take the cargo net out. The vehicle being produced in April was originally going somewhere else. There
    was a cancelation and somehow my dealer got it.
    I hope things don't change and they call me in the next month and tell me I am not getting the truck. It seems the only way anyone in the Chicago area is going to get an ES Tribute in any
    reasonable time, is someone else getting tired of
    waiting. Is the Tribute worth the wait? It would
    depend on the person waiting. I have been pricing
    and looking at all different trucks the last 3 months. Considering price, size, performance the Tribute seems to be the best selection for me.
    Will I feel the same way after 30,000 miles on the
    Tribute? I guess I will find out. Good luck
    to all of you waiting
  • Options
    lkr19819lkr19819 Member Posts: 5
    What actually is the production date. I called Mazda earlier today and gave them my VIN#. They said the production date was 3/5/2001. How far along would the assembly be at that time. The woman in customer relations couldn't give me a straight answer.
  • Options
    hfdadhfdad Member Posts: 29
    I have test driven 3 tributes and notice wind noise occurring at 50 mph near the windows. this seems to be a common problem I've read. Has anyone heard of a solution from Mazda for this problem? I like the vehicle and am close to buying one , but this wind noise bothers me.
    P.S.-Turning up the radio did not work.
  • Options
    iam3iam3 Member Posts: 13
    Deal with it ;)

Honestly, I think the Tribute is a great car for freeway cruising. The steering wheel is thick and comfortable and requires very little input, and the overall ride has that "German" feel of high-speed stability. In fact, it's so smooth that my *mother* was driving 80 MPH without even knowing it... and she thinks 65 miles an hour is too fast. I'd gladly have all that in exchange for a little wind noise.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    That's the day it rolls off the assembly line. I suppose that the exact production date wouldn't matter, as you would be more concerned about the delivery date.

:)
  • Options
    dgiovannidgiovanni Member Posts: 13
    Greetings. I know what the Canadian list prices are for the Tribute, but can anyone tell me the dealer invoice prices, and what kind of deals other fellow Canadians are getting on this vehicle. Also, does anyone know if the interest rates will drop on the Tribute, as it does with most Mazda's, this summer. Thanks.
  • Options
    bironbbironb Member Posts: 63
    The only way to get dealer invoice prices that I know of is through CarcostCanada.

http://www.carcostcanada.com/web2000/ccc_index2.htm
  • Options
    squiremarcsquiremarc Member Posts: 16
    You can also get dealer invoice prices from the Automobile Protection Association http://www.apa.ca/ Unlike in the States, we have to pay to get this info. The APA charges $25 for one price, or you can become a member for $50, and they will e-mail you 2 spread sheets showing dealer invoices, and a no-haggle price quote from 2 dealers (for 2 vehicles). Although the final price is less than MSRP, I believe one could negotiate a better price on their own. I hope this helps.

Marc
  • Options
    pulsar1pulsar1 Member Posts: 6
    Picked up my wife's ES desert metallic this past week. My dealer had it on order since November. The date on the engine and most of the component stickers shows the car was built the first week of March. With the S-plan price it was 22598 with ABS, luxury package, towing and step bumper. Thus far we have got 16mpg from the first tank. Drives nice and gets lots of looks. We have had no problems thus far. Wish the drivers door arm rest was padded so it would be a little softer. The wind noise is not that big a deal or all that noticeable really. An interesting observation on the engine is each spark plug has its own coil right on top of the plug boot. Not sure what that advantage is. Its amazing how much plastic is used on the engine nowadays. Also, there is a 1ft square plastic guard box on the under carage that I'm not sure what it houses. It has some hoses that go thru it. Seems it could get damaged easy. Thusfar we are really enjoying the car and hopefully won't have any problems.
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Please, the name of the dealer you bought your Tribute from. Am having difficulty finding a dealer near Houston that will accept S plan.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    NO PLUG WIRES!
    That's the bigest advantage. Compared to cars 10 years ago, you have no distributor, cap, rotor and wires. This allows the computer to change the spark advance for optimum engine performance and the lack of all those components means more reliable/accurate performance over the life of the vehicle.
  • Options
    rockwalkrockwalk Member Posts: 5
    Which dealership did you get your tribute from?
  • Options
    lc9063lc9063 Member Posts: 17
    Did anybody who got an Tribute with S-plan(or X) use a dealer in the NYC-WASH corridor. If so, a dealer(s) name would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    pulsar1pulsar1 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased my Tribute ES from Hiley Mazda in Arlington Texas. Not sure if they are still doing the S-plan or not. Ask for Lawrence Ellis, he is the fleet/special pricing person. The dealer made everything very simple and quick. Put down a $500 deposit to order the car and was out in 30 minutes. I did my own loan thru E-loan. Quickest slickest deal I have ever done. So simple it was scary. Good luck.
  • Options
    toyzrustoyzrus Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading the discussion on the Tribute and don't know what the S-plan represents. I'm looking to order a Tribute, so if it affects pricing I'd like what ever info anyone has.
    Thanks
  • Options
    fjlaalfjlaal Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Tribute LX and things are looking good so far at 600+ miles now. The car met all my criteria, and I had done a lot of looking. FYI my mileage has varied from 16 to 22 mpg. I haven't had it on the freeway yet. Have had no fuel smell. I am experiencing a squeaking, chaffing type of noise from the rear door. I put this into the 'nuisance' category. If the car wasn't so tightly suspended I'm sure there would be no noise from the back door. However, I'm curious to know if others have or had this problem, and if it is something that can be remedied without a big hassle.
  • Options
    e2ee2e Member Posts: 54
    This has been a fairly common complaint (Edmunds even reported it on their long term test vehicle). Some people have indicated that an adjustment to the latching post for the rear hatch has taken care of it, and others have said that some lubricant on the rubber stops at the lower corners of the hatch have helped. Others, myself included, have tried these steps and have either been unsuccessful or had the noise return. Funny -- the Montana minivan I had before this had so many rattles and creaks from so many spots in the car that I just mentally tuned everything out. My Tribute, on the other hand, is so tight and solid that this one noise really sticks out. I've only tried to fix this myself so far -- I will probably have the dealer look at it at some point.
  • Options
    kshum88kshum88 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ordered the Side Steps and rear spoilers for his Tribute? How much does each item cost and how much for the dealer installation? How long did you wait for the parts to come in?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin
  • Options
    1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    (toyzrus) Go to the Ford Escape II discussion and read Posts #210, 172, and others. You must call around to Fleet Sales at various dealers until you find one who will order for you under S Plan. Just follow through and You will succeed also.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This review is supposedly updated, even though it's dated last Friday (I don't recall posting it earlier?). Anyway, here it is:
    Road Test: 2001 Mazda Tribute

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    rutger56rutger56 Member Posts: 12
    Are you kidding me Mazda. I think it is a disgrace to manufacture any vehicle today without rear head rests. The Mazda seems like a good vehicle as long as you get an LX. I'm sorry,but a basic safety item should never be left off,or even an option. This is a glaring mistake by Mazda. The first whiplash suit by a rear seat passenger will being them back to the real world.The govenment should mandate head restraints like they do air bags.
  • Options
    spearlspearl Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Mazda Tribute since early February and I am very happy with my purchase. I traded in a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT with 81,000 miles on it, which by the way was a decent truck! The reason I went with the Tribute this time over an Explorer, Cherokee, etc. was the price, value, and quality. This SUV is the best value in the market right now. Why pay 40k for a Lexus when you can get a Mazda Tribute for half the price and still maintain a great ride???? Trust me, go out and buy a Tribute. You will be happy you did!
  • Options
    scottnsc1scottnsc1 Member Posts: 16
    I went to my dealer last night and they have quite a few Tribute's, but no ES. Most were, DX or LX.

Very nice looking vehicle. I need something a little larger, but as soon as my wife's lease is over on her Gallant this vehicle will be the first one we consider.
  • Options
    christophercchristopherc Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone provide information on the possibility that the Tribute LX's and ES's have been backordered-- i can't get a straight answer from the dealer-- they're pushing me to buy the DX's... Please help.
  • Options
    I'm sure the dealer would rather have you buy something right now, off the lot, if at all possible. That being said, Mazda seems to have totally underestimated the demand for the upper end models, and there have been long waits -- sometimes 3 and 4 months or more -- for ES and LX models. This has been especially true for those optioned with ABS, which seem to have been further affected by parts shortages. However, there seems to be a flurry of people in the Yahoo Tribute Owners Club who are suddenly being notified of impending shipments, so it sounds like Mazda is making progress on the backlog. I think your best bet may be to find a salesperson or dealer who is willing to work with you to get want you want, and can provide you with realistic expectations on delivery.

One more suggestion, just for the heck of it: try a search for your zip code on vehix.com. I used it to find my ES at a dealer 120 miles away and was able to pick it up the next day.
  • Options
    sbroanokesbroanoke Member Posts: 2
    Today I was finally able to make a deal on a Tribute. I placed a deposit on a Trib 4X4 LX, Platinum Silver with luxury package. I was so frustrated with my progress in the SW VA area that I was able to make this deal in the Charlotte NC area for several hundred off MSRP. With all the dealers I encountered charging close to $1000.00 over MSRP, I guess I made the best deal available in my area. My Trib is scheduled for delivery the last week in April. I am hoping all goes well..... I have wanted this truck since last July. I have to say, my salesman was terrific. Best one I have encountered to date.
  • Options
    sbroanokesbroanoke Member Posts: 2
    I suggest you try Roanoke or Christiansburg VA area if you do not mind driving in from DC. Berglund Mazda has several LX's and ES's in stock. You can check their inventory at BERGLUNDCARS.COM.
  • Options
    toyzrustoyzrus Member Posts: 2
    I'm ready to order a LX Tribute, but I'd like to see the Galaxy Blue. Dealer only has Platinum. Any website with colors anyone knows of. Thanks.
  • Options
    drhb1drhb1 Member Posts: 14
    I already have my 4WD Trib ES, and it is superb. Just noticed on the Mazda site, there is an option for $150 called a BLACK PEARL KIT.

Anyone know what this is, and whether it can be retrofitted onto a Tribute already built?
  • Options
    There are samples in the Tribute brochure:

ftp://www.mazdausa.com/tribute_brochure.pdf

On the Yahoo Mazda Tribute Owners Club site, there are also quite a few pictures of owners' cars, with most of the colors represented:

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/mazdatributeownersclub

• Options
    The Black Pearl Kit is simply black badging to replace the chrome badging on the rear hatch. Gold badging is also available. If you like the look, you'll have to remove your existing badges (not a big deal -- use a hair dryer and some adhesive remover). There are pictures of both in the Accessories Brochure posted on the Yahoo! Mazda Tribute Owner's Club site:

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/mazdatributeownersclub

• Options
    Thanks for the quick responses. I will check out the sites to see if it is worthwhile....

BTW, I got the rear stepplate protective strip, but have yet to install it. I wonder if anyone has installed it on theirs yet.
  • Options
    I just checked the photos; I can't believe the black badge is $150. Not really worth the cost, I think...
  • Options
    kradekrade Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the 2002 Tribute will be out?
  • Options
    According to BlueOvalNews, production of the 2002 Escapes /Tributes starts July 30.
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    what are the dealers selling this suv for did anybody get a good deal please imo or let me know the price over invoice mazda is asking.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    So don't buy one! If enough people feel like you do, and refrain from buying DXs for this reason, Mazda will get the message and make the change.

I have four cars, and my Tribute ES is the only one WITH rear head restraints.
  • Options
    funokafunoka Member Posts: 13
    I agree with e2e. My ES has rear head restraints, my other cars don't.

On prices, if you belong to a credit union, I highly recommend using their auto buying service to get the best deal on the Trib.

Shop carefully . . . some Mazda dealers in Northern VA area are charging $1,000 or higher above sticker for LX and ES models. I found it better to wait a few months rather than pay too much and get it "now." If you can wait, it looks like the supply line starting to move . . . I'll bet they jack up the prices in 2002.
  • Options
    zoggozoggo Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an ES Tribute last month, and was pretty pessimistic about being able to find one on such short notice, but lo and behold there was a dealer in Schaumburg, IL that had *three* ES models on the lot. I'm very happy with my purchase! (got it at sticker too)
  • Options
    edster1edster1 Member Posts: 12
    I am getting 11 MPG in the city and 17 on the highway.... have the ES V-6 version. What's wrong with this car? Am I the only one experiencing this? Chevy Suburban's get better mileage than this!
  • Options
    A lot of people, including Yours Truly, have experienced abysmal intial gas mileage with the V6. However, virtually everyone reports that the mileage improves significantly as the car breaks in. Intially, I was also getting about 11 mpg in town on mine, but with 1000 miles on the odometer, am now up to about 15 mpg for 100% in-town driving (I haven't taken a decent highway trip yet, so I don't have a reliable highway number). Owners with even more miles on their Tribs are reporting in town and highway figures that pretty much match the official EPA estimates. Hang in there -- it will improve.

Check out the Yahoo! Mazda Tribute Owners Club for more details on this and a lot of other topics.
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    PEOPLE LISTEN YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I JUST LOOKED AT THE TOYOTA HIGHLANDER AND I FEEL IN LOVE WITH IT. I'LL SPEND THE EXTRA 4 OR 5 GRAND TO MOVE UP INTO A GREAT RATED SUV WITH LITTLE OR NO PROBLEMS TO DATE.THE MAZDA FROM PEOPLE I KNOW WHO OWN TELL ME IT GETS TERRIBLE GAS MILEAGE. LOTS OF RADDLES AND NOISE.FOR PEACE OF MIND AND A GREAT SUV YOU'LL SEE ME AND MY FAMILY ON THE ROAD IN A NEW HIGHLANDER.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    Car & Driver - "Think of the Highlander as a tall Camry station wagon...a tall car wearing trucky clothes."

Edmunds - "Think of the Highlander as an oversized Camry wagon that went clothes shopping at REI."

USA Today - "Highlander revels in lack of sex appeal....Does Toyota have an extra step in development or manufacturing where some sour censor removes all the fun?"

Sorry, but some of us are looking for more than an appliance. You'll see me -- I'll be the one zoom-zooming past you on the road and in the twisties in my ES. Two months old -- no problems.

(and please stop writing in capital letters -- it's rude)
  • Options
    stecamstecam Member Posts: 15
    An extra 4 or 5 grand? I've already researched this one, so lets do the math -

According to their respective websites, a Highlander goes from between $24k to $27k, while a Tribute goes from between $18k to $23k. I doubt you'll get a deal much under MSRP for either model (actually, I've heard Toyota is asking more than MSRP these days, while you can get a Mazda for a bit under if you're lucky, but we'll assume both are at MSRP to be fair). Base model variance is then between $4k an $6k. But what really does you in is the options on the Highlander. To get the Highlander to the same level as a Trib ES (leather, 6 disk CD, power seats, privacy glass, etc. etc.) you need to tack on at least another $3k (more or less). All of sudden, a top end Highlander is going for over $30k, compared to $23k for a comparable Tribute. Compounding that is tax, depending on where you are, and interest on the difference. Assuming your state charges 5% tax, and you're financing over 3 years at 8%, you're now up to a $9k difference.

As you can guess, I bought a Trib. I have had no problems at all. I also have two friends with Trib/Escapes, again no problems. The gas mileage improves with time (as any new car does) and is pretty good for a 6cl SUV. If you go on the Yahoo site, most people there love their Trib as well. No regrets on my choice. Also, for what its worth, I think on looks, the Trib beats the Highlander hands down. I like Toyota trucks, but I think they fell asleep when designing this one.