Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• Options
    jordan29jordan29 Member Posts: 20
    got my platinum LX FWD last night and here are my first impressions.

Pluses
    1. power. lots of it
    2. handling. great handling. love this.
    3. large interior room.
    4. stunningly good looks.

Minuses
    1. long column mounted gear shift may take some getting used to. however, it is NOT a hindrance at all.

2. some wind noise from the side mirrors. i wonder if other trucks with even bigger mirrors have this problem too?

3. ride is a bit stiff. it's not a car, but could have been a bit 'less stiff'.

regarding road noise, i really did not feel it nor did any of it bother me so ziebart is out of the question. it's a lot quieter than my 13 year old corolla.

engine makes a low pitched growl when pushed. i'm not bothered by it and it kinda sounds good. i also test drove a maxima and the maxima's engine sounded quieter though.

wife loves this tribute too!
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    What area are you in and what options do you want?
  • Options
    larry51klarry51k Member Posts: 35
    Picked up my Tribute yesterday. On one key was a sticker notice that read: "TO PREVENT DEAD BATTERY, REMOVE KEY WHEN ENGINE IS OFF." No one at the dealership could tell me why. I am used to leaving the key in the ignition at night in my locked garage. Obviously, in CC or ON there would be a drain but in the OFF position? Anyone have an explanation?
  • Options
    bironbbironb Member Posts: 63
    What good is it to get the best deal going today (Triscape) when you will knowingly be purchasing a problem plague vehicle at the moment and spend the rest of your ownership time at the service department getting parts replaced not to mention the uneasy feeling of wondering when the vehicle will break down and leave you stranded. As much as I initially wanted a Tribute ES V-6 the shear number of past and present Ford recalls speak for themselves.

I have test driven just about all the car based SUV's and recently test drove the new base Toyota Highlander SUV AWD V6. Although it is more expensive, the overall refinement of the vehicle especially in the NVH department and exterior/interior fit and finish is far superior to the Tribute and all others. I am willing to forgo some of the extra features available in the Tribute (leather, moonroof) and the added cost for the peace of mind of Toyota's overall quality and reliability. I guess it basically comes down to a matter of priorities and affordability.

I plan on monitoring the Highlander forums over the next few months before deciding whether to purchase one or not.
  • Options
    1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    Copied this to keep for reference, from an earlier Post:

ESCAPE Went to program 2 new keys (bought from Ford) and they didn't turn in the ignition. Turns out that there are different key blanks so be careful in getting the correct ones and try turning them to run before you leave the lot. One key was successfully programmed but after trying to program the second key (followed the book), all keys stopped working. If this happens, you have to place in one of the factory keys and turn to run for 20~30 seconds (theft light should stop blinking) to reset to use the factory keys. I found setting the alarm with my key fob also reset the system.

TRIBUTE When you get a new Tribute, the first thing you MUST do is: Get a spare key!!! The Securelock system is very sophisticated, and, a bit oversensitive. You must have 2 keys to program a spare. If you lose a key and end up with only one, you must go to the dealer, who must call Mazda for a vehicle-specific decode sequence (they have to get the module number from under the dash, in a difficult to reach area) before programming a new key. BIG HEADACHE. Avoid this by buying a spare and programming it yourself. Clear instructions are in the manual. Read them twice before beginning, and label your keys; 1, 2, and "new." Program only one new key at a time, and WAIT at least 2 minutes before starting the sequence for another key. If you goof, the system will go into a fault, and the car Won't Start for 30 minutes (I know... I did it!) If this happens, go have a cup of coffee, come out and, using a good key, turn to "ON" (as opposed to start). Press brake, cycle shifter from park to first and back to park. If enough time has passed, car will start. Morale: get a spare key, and read manual thoroughly!

Check the key blanks. I went to a Ford authorized locksmith. He said the keys with an "S" on the metal part just below the black plastic of the key is for Explorers. Escapes have a little squiggle "~" on theirs. He said the Escape keys look just like the keys used on the Focus. He has found that the Focus alarm system is much more difficult to program.
  • Options
    Per Mazda:
    The Tribute ignition key, P/N EC01-76- 2GX can be identified by locating a slanted "H" stamped at the top of the key shaft (close to the key head). The B-Series ignition key, P/N ZZR0-76-201, is identified with a stamped "S".
  • Options
    e2ee2e Member Posts: 54
    Take a look at the discussion on the RX300 (the Highlander is basically a decontented version of the RX300) and you'll see posts there also on fuel smell, failed transmissions/transaxles, and vibration complaints -- so I guess nothing's perfect, not even Toyotas.

A Highlander comparably equipped to my ES was almost $35K. I'm sure the Highlander will be a fine SUV, but I walked away feeling that Toyota was taking advantage of the hot SUV market by overpricing this vehicle. NVH? I prefer the firm ride and sporty handling of the Tribute over that of the Highlander, which some reviews have described as being boring and characterless. But, we all have different preferences, and that's why there are choices out there....
  • Options
    rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    That was my thinking, too. The Triscape is built well enough, and is priced low enough, that unless you're very paranoid about quality, it's worth taking a chance on, particularly over competitors like the CRV, Xterra, Cherokee, Grand Vitara, Sportage and Tracker.

I can't see coughing up $5k-$10k more for a Highlander over a Tribute or Escape, no matter how much better built the Toyota might be perceived to be.

I can, however, understand someone buying a RAV4, Santa Fe or Forester instead of a Tribute or Escape. The prices are, for the most part, all very close and those vehicles would seem to enjoy a 'slight' edge in reliability reputation.

FWIW, I would have liked to have had the luxury of being able to wait until the second year of production to buy a Tribute, but I needed something *now* and, all things considered, it just seemed to be the best deal going (even with the start-up problems).
  • Options
    kirkp1kirkp1 Member Posts: 1
    We just got a 4x4 as/cab fully loaded ES tribute last Saturday (US made) from a dealer in our area. We were able to get it $500.00 above dealer invoice. From the sound of the shortage we scored! It is galaxy blue and we love the color. So there must be a few out there still. Drives wonderfully and is quiet! We just had a major snow storm today and tried out the 4WD. Handled perfectly on hills (we live in Washington by Settle with tons of hills). So far no complaints we just love it and are thrilled to have found one!
  • Options
    does any one know if the transmissions on the trubute and escape are the same ? my dealer told me that the tribute has a mazda transmission and the escape has a ford.

regarding waiting for 2nd year production,
    i'm in the same boat. would like to have waited for the '2nd' batch of tributes, but had to take a chance now.

i'll give mazda the benefit of the doubt, given their engineering is on par with the best, although most of this is a ford (i think).
  • Options
    I just checked out the Yahoo site, based on some earlier posts referencing a Tribute discussion over there. Now I know where it got the name -- not a lot of valuable information, but there were definitely a bunch of yahoos hurling obscenities and insults at each other among the more serious posts. It's nice to come back here, where there's some informative discussion and a moderator to keep things on track.
  • Options
    If you were comparing a V-6 Escape to a 4cyl Tribute, you would be correct. The Manual trans is a Mazda unit, and the auto is Ford trans. This applies to both Trib and Escape.

Don't forget that this vehicle was designed by Mazda and built by Ford. Mazda has stepped up their involvement at the Kansas City plant due to issues with build quality.

:)
  • Options
    loachloach Member Posts: 246
    I'm in Omaha, Nebraska and am interested in a desert (or maybe platinum) LX 4X4 with ABS/side airbags and CD/cassette or CD changer/cassette. I haven't seen a single LX or ES 4X4 with ABS at any of the 3 dealers in the metro area. The only Tribute I've seen with ABS is a FWD ES. I can't believe ABS isn't standard on the higher trim lines, but I could get over that if it was at least available as an option!
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, I know everyone has had different stories about the ABS availability problem, but I had to find out for myself. Just talked to Mazda Corporate & they confirmed the problem (surprised the hell out of me). He said that they are now producing vehicles with ABS again. However, because of the backlog of ABS orders, they are estimating a delivery time of four months if ordered today.
  • Options
    miatatribmiatatrib Member Posts: 1
    thats good news about ABS now being available again on tributes. Ordered my ES Dec. 2nd (northeast). Hope that means It'll be coming in the near distant future. Does anyone know if moon roof parts are still scarce. One last ditty. Heard some rumbling about the ford auto trans. being problematic. Anyone have any feedback on that.
  • Options
    tinoman1tinoman1 Member Posts: 42
    it's encouraging reading the last few msg's about the ABS & moonroof availabilty for tributes. The 4 month wait is not.
    Can anyone verify that dealers will get a certain allotment of tributes each month so that if two different people order a tribute on the same day, one may wait up to 4 months the other 2-3 months because of the volume at the dealership and the dealership's monthly allotment?
    I ordered a loaded ES on 2/12/01 and was promised delivery by mid-april. Is this dealer pipe dreaming?
  • Options
    welzzzwelzzz Member Posts: 1
    We order our Tribute the last week in December, the dealer told us it would probably be in the second week in March. They phoned yesterday, and it is in early. We will be picking it up on Monday. Black LX . Dealer said now there is a shortage of floor consoles, because people with DX's are now wanting an armrest. Oh well, we have ours and can't wait to drive it. Let you know if I have an problems.
  • Options
    xmannxmann Member Posts: 19
    All these people just gotta have that SUV even though current owners are screaming about Major..Safety related problems. They can't wait to join the chorus of complainers or perhaps its the can't happen to me syndrome. Kinda like the surfers I know that went out to the same spot the afternoon one of their buddies was attacked by a shark that morning. I won't go into what happened but it was predictable wasn't it. I truly wish you all who are purchasing this vehicle now that you have the best of luck.

As far as those who continue to disparage American built cars my company currently owns or has owned the following vehicles. NONE HAVE REQUIRED ANY REPAIR WORK other then normal maintenance and replacement of wear items. We all routinely log 30-35,000 driving miles a year each as reflected by their stated milage. But then again we take care of our vehicles and don't abuse them.

1986 Plymouth Acclaim (V6) 175K miles
    1987 Dodge Dakota (V6) 120K miles
    1990 Chevy S10 PU (V6) 115K miles
    1994 Grand Cherokee (V6) 210K miles
    1996 Grand Cherokee (V6) 165K miles
    1996 Grand Cherokee (V6) 135K miles
    1998 Ram PU (V8) 80K miles
    1999 Chevy Silverado PU (V8) 67K miles

We tried Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, VW's and their repair problems and poor durability record caused a formal company policy...no more Japanese or German vehicles. We've had 4 American built vehicles which were disposed of due to excessive repairs. Ford Explorers (2), Ford Windstar Van (1), Ford Ranger (1). Perhaps you see a trend?

All vehicles will have problems but the Tribute / Escape is off the scale for such a new vehicle. This forum is a fine source for this type of discussion...but its worthless if people will not try to learn from other's experiences.
  • Options
    tinoman1tinoman1 Member Posts: 42
    I agree in large with xmann's comments on buying what seems to be the problematic tribute. That being said, I bought one because I needed to haul 2 kids to college in the buffalo area and did not want to spend the higher prices for SUV's with similar equipment. Yet it is a gamble. I'm hoping that my tribute produced late in the model year will be more trouble free due to the probable "re-design" on the fly by Mazda/Ford to correct some of these problems. I also considered the positive reviews here in the edmunds forum as well. And in looking at the big picture, I believe the edmunds forum represents only a fraction of actual tribute owners, so who's to say that the majority of owners are having major problems? If I get a lemon, I'll have to deal with it.
    I have a 1998 Old's intrigue (1st yr of production) that has had at least 50 production defects and/or problems ranging from air vent grill's falling out to a defective torque converter. GM has fixed everthing under warranty so no complaints there. the car rides & handles great, but I will never return to GM again. On the other hand, My 1993 Nissan Altima, (also a 1st yr production)has been terrific over the 98,000 miles I have on it.
    So yes, its hit & miss, those that got good tributes will swear by them, those that got lemons will swear at them. I do know that if my dealer calls & say he cannot get mine for 4-5 months, I am getting my deposit back and making a bee-line across the street for a loaded subaru forester.
  • Options
    hi. testing out my new tribute and found that when i use the power windows, the door panel seems to 'move' a little when the window is moved up or down.

this is my first car with power windows so i don't really know if this is 'normal' ?

anyone experiencing this on their tributes?
  • Options
    Sorry if I'm taking away from your pleasure in the discussion, but I can't report any problems if I'm not experiencing any.... and I think positive comments are just as helpful to others as the negative ones you only seem satisfied to see.

Yes, Ford/Mazda had 5 recalls on the Tribute and Escape, but when I reviewed those before making my purchase decision, my conclusion was that two of them seemed related to startup glitches on the assembly line (not design or engineering problems with the vehicle itself), one was for missing info in the owner's manual, and two were for faulty parts. I was impressed with how quickly Ford and Mazda addressed those, and while some of the early owners were certainly inconvenienced, my hope is that we'll have smooth sailing moving forward with what I feel is a fine vehicle for the money.
  • Options
    jeff171jeff171 Member Posts: 1
    After driving many competing models, I decided to purchase a Tribute late in 2000. In late November I began to check around at dealerships to find the model I wanted (ES with AWD, lux package, ABS, in platinum). Although none of the dealerships had one, I was able to find out what models they were supposed to receive during the month of December. I found one with everything except ABS. I received my Tribute in January and have not had any problem with the much discussed recall problems. The lever is no problem. I took my Tribute on a ski trip to Vail, Colorado in Feb. and thouroughly enjoyed it. Put the back seats down for luggage and 90 lbs. dog. Got 19.51 gallons per mile. Used the four-wheel drive on very icy roads. Don't have a single complaint. Love the sound system with 6 disc in dash changer. I paid MSRP and bought the all weather mats (they are GREAT!). Don't regret anything. Would encourage those of you waiting, it's worth the wait
  • Options
    twbauertwbauer Member Posts: 3
    I think the sounds system is pretty good in the tribute, but I found a great deal on a sub and small amp, so I thought I'd install it. I'm not having much luck getting the right rear inside panel off, and don't want to risk breaking, or cracking it by pulling too hard to pop loose the panel. I found a bunch of wires running under the foot guard, by the right rear (passenger side) door. There's about 6-8 wires in there, and I'm suspecting some of them are for the tail lites. I'm thinking the sub wires must be in that bunch as well. Does anyone know, or know where to find out what color wires are the two that drive the sub? Any help would be great!!!
  • Options
    eagle30eagle30 Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know when the 2002 Tribute should hit the dealership. I have never ever own a brand new vehicle in my life, this will be the first. I am sure it is going to be the Tribute, Man I wish I did not like it so much. I will admit I am running a little gun shy now due to some of the posting I have read. Thinking maybe I should wait for the 2002. Any help is always welcome.
  • Options
    xmannxmann Member Posts: 19
    I really sincerely hope you all have wonderful luck with your new vehicles. As a former FD paramedic I don't wish anyone anywhere misfortune on the highway. Saw too much in my years to do that. I only urge you all to not ignore even the slightest hint of problems. Your lives are priceless...better to be considered a pest at the dealer then to assume something is "nothing to worry about". Be safe all of you and I hope your vehicle turns out to be all you hope it is.
  • Options
    Not sure how far you want to drive, but here are a few 4x4 ES TRibs with ABS:
    LAIRD NOLLER MAZDA Lawrence, KS
    LAIRD NOLLER MAZDA KANSAS CITY, KS
    NORTHTOWNE MAZDA Kansas City, MO
    JEFF SCHRIER MAZDA Omaha, NE
    STAN OLSEN MAZDA OMAHA, NE - 3 ES's in Platinum
    ANDERSON MAZDA Lincoln, NE

All these vehicles are at the dealer, but you need to check with them to see if they are sold.

:)
  • Options
    I can't answer your question, but you might want to try Crutchfield:

www.crutchfield.com

They list the Tribute in their receiver and speaker applications chart, which means they can supply wiring diagrams, etc. Since you didn't buy the amp from them, they may charge you for the diagram and instructions, or maybe they'd let you have it if you buy a wiring harness for the amp. I've purchased several receivers, CD changers, etc. from them in the past -- good site, good folks, and very knowledgeable.
  • Options
    big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I have been following this thread since it started and frequently see people dropping in and slamming the Tribute and Escape for the numerous recalls (6) that it has had to date. My impression on these recalls is that it is a reactionary measure by Ford to show that they are willing to make corrections early. After the firestorm they encountered after the Firestone tire/Explorer issue, a reaction to address problems immediately is expected. If Ford had sat on these issues and not addressed them they would have been slammed for not reacting quickly enough. The safety related recalls have also been issued proir to any actual occurances of the specific issue (i.e. steering wheel issue). I also believe that Ford/Mazda rushed production on the Escape/Tribute to get their product out before the Sante Fe, redesigned Rav4, and Highlander etc.. In hindsight, this was an error because they have had early production problems that have led to recalls that PROBABLY would not have occurred if they had not rushed production. To issue a blanket statement that all Tributes and Escapes are pieces of trash is expected under these circumstances but is not necessarily warranted.

I am still considering the Tribute as a possible new vehicle but the reason it is not on top of my list is not due to the recalls . . . it is primarily due to the goofy design of the gear selector and the fact that they do not offer a manual transmission for the V6. The road noise is also a concern for me. The engine performance, styling, handling, size, and interior features fit my requirements for a small SUV rather nicely. The fact that the vehicle has had recalls is a bit of a concern but, IMO, the fact that Ford/Mazda is addressing the issues up front (before accidents and claims) and not sweeping them under the rug is a plus, not a minus.

Now if they would add a layer of sound-proofing, redisign the side mounted mirrors (to reduce wind noise), and offer a floor mounted manual transmission on the V6, they would have a great little SUV.
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I'm not a Trib owner, we own (love) a 2000 MPV and a '96 Volvo 850turbo. My dad was driving the volvo about 10 days ago and was punted in the passenger-side by a Focus (the driver was drunk and doing 60mph). Thankfully, all parties walked away, sore, but okay. The Volvo has $7500 in damages (the Focus is quite literally a paperweight now), and I'm looking for a replacement when the Volvo is repaired. I had been looking at the Trib and Highlander last summer, so I'm back looking.

How do y'all feel about your Tribs? I drove a very early production 2wd V6 model last fall, and wasn't impressed with the noise levels, the tinny feel of the doors and such, but maybe the awd ES would feel better. Do people like/dislike the feel of the rig? Is it holding up well (so far) for folks? Our MPV is great, so I'd hope the Trib was similar in quality, as we can't stop lauding and recommending it to our friends, after 14k miles of trouble-free servitude.

thx!

--javadoc
  • Options
    rekrucrrekrucr Member Posts: 6
    I live in the Chicago, IL area and am looking for an LX-V6 FWD in WHITE with moonroof. No luck!! Would consider a 4WD also, Can anyone help.
  • Options
    Get ready to drive...SIERRA MAZDA in Ottawa has a White 4x4 with a moonroof...
  • Options
    iam3iam3 Member Posts: 13
    "How do y'all feel about your Tribs?"

Overall I love the feel of the Tribute. The Ford V6 is powerful and strong even at low RPMs, especially compared to sedans like the Honda Accord (our other family car). The Trib also seems to have less body roll than the Accord during cornering, and overall has a very sporty feel.

"I drove a very early production 2wd V6 model last fall, and wasn't impressed with the noise levels,"

I actually thought the Tribute was fairly quiet at highway speeds except for the annoying wind noise from the mirrors. Either way, it doesn't bother me since I'm used to driving an 11-year-old Camry and a 15-year-old Jeep Cherokee (teenage drivers always get the worst cars...).

"the tinny feel of the doors and such"

Of course, that depends on what you compare it to. I bet the Tribute's doors are less tinny than older Hyundais. ;) I liked the heavy solidity of German doors better though.

"Is it holding up well (so far) for folks?"

Our Tribute is still perfect except for a few minor (barely noticeable) rattles in the interior, from loose plastic and such. After only 3000 miles, though, I can't really comment on reliability.

"Our MPV is great, so I'd hope the Trib was similar in quality, as we can't stop lauding and recommending it to our friends, after 14k miles of trouble-free servitude."

Unfortunately, probably not. The drivetrain is built by Ford, which means reliability will probably be below average. I would say the Tribute overall is worth it, though, and reliability will no doubt be better than my old Jeep* :)

*the gas pedal FELL OFF when I was driving yesterday.
  • Options
    Just how early production was the Trib that you drove? I too drove an early production (as in PRE-production) and had questions about the NVH and the doors. Since then, I have driven several others (DX, LX and ES) and the feel was totally different.
  • Options
    I drove a fwd DX-V6 model with a production date of 8/00 (don't think it was pre-production tho). So, that could be the reason it felt less than I'd expected, being such an early hatchling.

I thought the Trib handled exceptionally well. I had fun scaring the unsuspecting salesperson while simulating "emergency maneuvers." The ride quality as well was great, and the power...I wish our MPV had the 3.0 motor, it was good, very good. There was good room in back for two real-sized people, plenty for two munchkins.

I would be expecting the Trib to have the same quality feel that the MPV has though, which is what I was comparing the Trib to...not for it's SUV-ness, but its comfort levels and cabin noise levels. I wouldn't compare the Trib's soundness to our Volvo, although that solid, vault-like "thud" sound when you close a door on our sedan is highly addictive.

I was concerned with wind noise around the A-pillar/mirror region (which should be a no-brainer in this day and age?) and a feel that there needed to be more sound deadening for the car. I also felt that the dash treatment wasn't really up to what I'd expect from today's Mazda (but it was a DX model). After reading all the happy owners reports, I owe it to myself to drive an AWD ES model and see how it feels.

I snuck down to the local dealer at lunch, and alas, no Tribs to tempt me. Plenty of new Volvos though, but no, I'll resist. I want to try out a fully-optioned ES, when my dealer finally has one.

cheers!

--javadoc
  • Options
    big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Car and driver has an intesting article where they test several of the mini-utes head to head. Check it out at www.caranddriver.com. They rate the Tribute and Escape 1st out of the eleven vehicles tested . . . even though its performance in the snow was severly hampered by the OEM tires.

I would have liked to see how the Tribute would perform in the snow climb if it had good snow tires. I was pretty surprised that the Rav4 did as well as it did in the snow climb.
  • Options
    I picked up that issue right after I picked up my Tribute at the beginning of the month, and it was nice to get some independent confirmation of my decision.

I think Mazda/Ford designed these vehicles more for on-road/foul weather capabilities (the way most SUVs are actually used), rather than serious off-roading, and they probably decided on tires based on good on-road characteristics. The Wilderness HT tires (not the ATs that were recalled earlier), look like normal all-season passenger tires, and probably aren't up to the deep snow off-road test that C&D performed. Personally, I would prefer some slightly more aggressive rubber on the vehicle, but have to admit that we've had a couple of icy 2" snows since we picked up our Tribute, and the traction and handling in those was outstanding.
  • Options
    yajyaj Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I own a Tribute 4WD ES. About a month ago, I pulled my Tribute onto my lawn with about a foot of snow on the ground. I was surprised it took a while to get onto my lawn. What was confusing was, I left it there overnight and the next day, I went out and started the engine and tried to pull out into the street but the wheels wouldn't move what so ever. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or know of any reason why this would of happened? Please let me know if any of you have been in the same situation. It took me about half an hour to get the wheels rotating. The engine was on, the transmission was going, I shift it in drive and in reverse but the wheels just wouldn't budge. I don't get it.
  • Options
    Did you have the parking brake set overnight? Sometimes the parking brake will get frozen during cold weather, and not allow those wheels to move. Driving the rig out into a foot of snow and parking it there overnight would possibly allow the snow to melt, then freeze onto the brakes, making them, possibly stick until enough friction/heat melted it. Hopefully, this was the problem.

--java
  • Options
    is the wind noise due to the design of the mirrors ? not totally objectionable, but if there is a fix, so much the better.

i don't find the road noise objectionable at all! it's much quieter than many cars (including my old corolla) i've driven.
  • Options
    rick_lrick_l Member Posts: 8
    Yaj;

Are you sure they were not spinning. Did you or someone else look at all 4 wheels while you had it in gear?

The reason I ask is that I have already had by Tribute stuck in the snow as well. By sticking my head out the drivers windows while pressing on the accelerator, I could see that neither the front or rear tire was spinning. However my buddy who was on the other of the vehicle reported that both tires were spinning like crazy.

The reason is that both axles have an open differential, and the wheel with the least resistance will receive all the torque. Compound this fact with the fact that the Firestone tires offer very little traction in snow, and you realize that the Tribute is not the best vehicle in the snow. You end up with 2 wheel drive at the best.

Rick
  • Options
    bugeye24bugeye24 Member Posts: 5
    A salesman told me the dealer got a letter from Mazda saying Tribute production would be stopped (cut back?) after current orders shipped. Any truth? Why? Not trying to start a rumor, but he did have a name tag so I presume it has some vague element of truth.
  • Options
    loachloach Member Posts: 246
    Thanks maltb for the tip on the locations of ABS equipped ES models. I happened to be out looking Monday and went to Schrier Mazda in Omaha, NE and can confirm they did indeed have at least 5 fully loaded ES's on the lot WITH ABS. I believe there were 2 white ones, 1 chestnut, 1 sunburst red, and 1 green. They didn't have a single LX in stock, so I drove an ES and was fairly pleased with it, although the ride was a little firm for my taste. I also noted the lack of side bolstering in the seats as I took advantage of the Trib's nice handling around some corners. With the slippery leather I felt like I was going to end up on the floor! Later in the day I drove an LX (no ABS) at another dealer's lot and was disappointed again with the ride quality. There seemed to be a lot of front to back bucking over rough pavement (and there's plenty of rough pavement in Omaha these days!). I like the styling of the Tribute better, but now I'm wondering if the Escape might ride better as the CR article suggests. Any thoughts from those who have driven both?
  • Options
    joymarjoymar Member Posts: 9
    can anyone help on how i can track my vehicle thru a VIN #? any help would be highly appreciated .....
  • Options
    jchandrajchandra Member Posts: 12
    Just picked up my Tribute LX V6 last week. The sports package was cancelled without any information. No sunroof or fancy stereo. Took the car to work yesterday; big transmission leak at 400 km. Took it back to dealer. Dealer says 1st such complaint and he has the Mazda personnel coming in today to look at it. The hood was misaligned. Does'nt do anything for my confidence in Mazda. I have had numerous GM and Chrysler cars. None had a transmission leak at 400 km. This is Japanese quality control?. Wish I had gone with my first choice A Nissan Pathfinder XE. All this aggravation after waiting for 4 months. Real happy Mazda customer in Toronto, Canada.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Be sure to bring a tire pressure gauge along with you the next time. Vehicles on dealers lots often have ofter inflated tires (they're pumped up prior to transport from the factory to prevent flatspots). Before you take your test drive, make sure that all of the tires have the recommended cold tire pressure for normal loads. Someone here should be able to tell you what it is.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Be careful not to spin the wheels too much when the power is leaking to one side of the axle(s). That can prematurely wear the differentials out. Here's a tip. Next time, try applying the parking brake (gingerly). This will help you to control the spinning rear wheel, and could get you unstuck; put the Tribute's AWD system into the lock mode first though.
  • Options
    rick_lrick_l Member Posts: 8
    Drew;
    Your tip for applying the parking brake is a good one. In fact I tried this trick the day I was stuck and I was able to transfer the rear wheelspin from the passenger side to the drivers side. However with the poor snow design of the Firestone tires ( and possibly the fact that 1 rear tire was so lightly loaded that I could turn it by hand) I could still not get out without shovelling underneath the vehicle and using traction aids.

I am fairly experienced with 4wd and off roading. On this particular day a friend with a Jeep Cherokee and I decided to perform a head to head test with the Tribute.

The Cherokee with an aggressive tread pattern, as well as limited slip differential,probably had enough traction to back out if he had wanted to, but he really wanted to prove he had superiority over the Tribute and pushed forward a few feet more until he was stuck.

My conclusion is that a limited slip differential would increase traction by 50% (3WD instead of 2WD). However I have driven many 4WD's without limited slip and I think a more aggressive tire could also make a substantial improvement. Overall the Tribute is just as capable off road as many of the garden variety SUVs.
  • Options
    What is your VIN?
  • Options
    eagle30eagle30 Member Posts: 28
    Hello everyone, I have been chasing this Tribute emotionally for months. I am finally admiring to myself that there are to many issues. I am to poor and (emotionally unstable :),to spend this kind of money and deal with the issues. So it is now a big NO for the Tribute. Love the style,pricing, but do not want the headaches. I stop in at Nissan with the 3.9% rate, my payments move up about a $100.00 on the upscale SE model. I going to now think about the Pathfinder. I really was excited about the rib. I had a few issues like the long gear shift, the noise when I got up to 65 mph. I have a limited income, I need to make sure that the investment in a vehicle is solid. I am hoping to drive, (whatever) my next purchase 200,000 mile with little or no issues. Just my 2 cents. Bye for now.
  • Options
    lkr19819lkr19819 Member Posts: 5
    Actually this question is for kirkp1 who found a fully loaded ES in galaxy blue in Seattle for just $500 over dealer invoice. I live on the East Coast- Long Island. There are so very few Tributes you see on the road here and most of them of DX or LX. I ordered a fully loaded ES in Galaxy Blue on December 1 along with ABS. Did the car you purchase have the ABS system? The dealers are getting pretty close to sticker price on this coast due to lack of availability. I was interested in the Tribute since September but held out on ordering one until I saw what the Galaxy Blue color looked like. I'm interested in any feedback you can give me. Thank you.