Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• 1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    Several of us investigated this to reprogram the headlight chime and the only answer found was to use tools to mechanically disconnect the sounder and lose all the chimes.
  • barbarah1barbarah1 Member Posts: 9
    I'll give it a shot!
  • acurahadacurahad Member Posts: 29
    I stopped at a Mazda dealership on Sunday to look at the 2002 Tributes, they had 5 Tributes parked near the detail shop. Monday I emailed the dealer for prices and they sent an email back saying they have one 2001 in stock for sale ( great terms) and we will not have 2002s for another month or two. So, I answered back giving the stock number of the Tribute I was interested in and in return, they sent an email back saying yes we have them but can't release these cars for another month or two. At another Mazda dealer in town they have one in stock and will sell, but not what I wanted. All Ford dealerships have escapes in stock & for sale. Go figure.
  • mikey235mikey235 Member Posts: 5
    Hey JimV,

I'd be more than happy to totally lose the chime mechanically, but I can't find it.

Do you know where it is under the dash?

Thanks.
    You might locate the sounder by listening through a piece of hose like a stethescope. Someone else reported success disconnecting it. If you do decide to "operate", tell us the details. If it's not too hard I might be interested in putting a switch in the circuit of mine. I would often like to leave my headlight switch always on to have daylight running lights for safety and the overintrusive warning chime is a real nuisance.
  • smehdersmehder Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the rack info. I have found that Yakima has a Mighty Mount for existing Trib racks ($ 30 for 4) that fits some of their racks, but they do not recommend any racks other than the ski attachment. They have said that the Trib cross bar is not solid enough to hold the bike. Anyone have a different opinion.
  • tlc8tlc8 Member Posts: 4
    Don't know if you've looked here or not but partscheap.com also has rack accessories for the Escape that I assume would work on your Tributes.
  • barbarah1barbarah1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks! I pick up my Tribute in a week or so and will get started on some research. I appreciate any other opinions out there on racks as well.
  • edster1edster1 Member Posts: 12
    Anybody know where to get info on how much a new car is de-valued due to it being in an accident? My Tribute, with 8,000 miles, was recently hit by a "sweet little old lady". $10,000 worth of damage! Thoug it is supposed to be fixed "as good as new", it is now in the data base as a "wrecked car". How much lower than blue book is its actual value now?

Edster
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    If they labeled your title as salvaged, they have to buy you out of it.
  • edster1edster1 Member Posts: 12
    The database which tracks your VIN. If you go to CarFax and put in a VIN, you get a history of the car...repairs, etc.
    of Car Fax. They only label a vehicle as salvaged if they have info from the state it is registered in. If in fact they salvaged your Trib, they would have to buy the vehicle from you for market value or replacement cost, per your policy. Otherwise, Car Fax wouldn't have that type of info on your Trib. Just make sure that the shop that does the work does a top quality job.
  • jefgovjefgov Member Posts: 9
    I know there's a separate maintenance section to discuss the whole topic of waxing my Tribute, but I'm not interested in debating super polishes or the merits of Materus vs. Zeon (or however they're spelled). I just want to go to the store, buy some wax, and give up some of my free time to do it, even though I can think of many other more desirable things to do.

So here's my question, if you would please take the time to answer it - as I haven't yet waxed my Tribute (I told you I can think of many more pleasurable ways to spend my time), what wax should I use for the first time, and perhaps forever after? Any good advice out there?

I admit I've been derilect in this aspect, having my chestnut mica Tribute here in the hot, sunny, and salty Florida marine environment for the last six months without waxing it once. But it already looked so shiny. Well, I'm finally ready, to do it now and for eternity to come (it'll seem that way, anyway).

So please help me out, all of you who read postings and love your Tributes. And remember, I just want to wax it to protect it, not stare at my reflection in it, so please keep it simple.

Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, if you have a clear coat on the paint, in theory you never have to wax it :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Lately I've been hearing good things (from 'real people' car nuts) about Finish First. I'm going to try it before winter sets in. 'Til then, it is the local car wash spray stuff.
    "Because it's the twin of the Ford Escape (save some interior and exterior design elements), we considered it redundant to include it."

But I think Tribute owners will be pleased to see how the Escape did in Edmunds 2001 Mini SUV Comparison Test.

Steve
    Host

how cruel can you be. I think it should be noted that the suspension on the Trib is even more performance oriented than the Escape and the looks are hands down better.
    moi? cruel? I was merely quoting from the story. Are Tribute owners not happy to see the "twin" do well? And if the Tribute is better than the twin, doesn't that make it a #1A with a bullet?

I haven't read the Long Term Road Test of the Tribute for a while, but I seem to recall that our editors like it a lot as well.

Steve
    Host

Steve, I read your response and am following up on it. You said "if you have a clear coat on the paint, in theory you never have to wax it." OK, what does that all mean, in real life, not theory?

First of all, is the clear coat a given, and if so, what do you mean about the "theory"?
    I'm getting water spots and other attached particles that I assume will go away with waxing, or perhaps by cleaning or polishing before the waxing. So isn't that something I should do, even with a clear coat? Any advice from you or others?

And I appreciate my one other reply so far, re the Finish First. If it's for "car nuts" like you say, how involved is it to use? I love my car, but it's not my life, just a vehicle to help me live it.

Thanks for the replies. Please respond.
    Aw geez, now I'm gonna have to go dig up a link :-) (I can find lots of links about the need to wax a clear coated car).

But I did read that somewhere, prolly here on Town Hall. Definitely not in the Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2) discussion!

Until someone comes up with the link, the theory is that simply washing the car with a gentle soap made for cars is all that's needed for new cars with clear coat paint. What does your manual say?

Steve
    Host

jefgov: I haven't yet used the Finish First, so I don't know how it is. But I remember hearing that it is easy to use, which is why some of those 'nuts' liked it. Plus I've read that difficult stuff like tree sap washes right off of it.
    Again, this is hearsay.
    Steve & suvshopper4,

Thanks for responses.

Re the manual, it says "waxing your vehicle on a regular basis will reduce minor scratches and paint damage....use only carnauba or synthetic-based waxes."

So that's no help - are there other kinds of waxes besides carnauba or synthetic-based?

The manual also says to "contact your local Mazda dealership for a list of Mazda-approved cleaners, polishes, and waxes." So I did that, and actually got some results.

I wasn't expecting any, but was told by a real helpful guy in the parts department that, yes, I did have a clear coat, but for my needs, he recommended Liquid Gold. So I think I'll try it.

Sounds easy enough, with good results supposedly. Any reaction from you or anyone else re this stuff?
    Thanks for the research.

Liquid Gold? Beats me. fwiw, Consumer Reports tested car waxes a couple of years ago, and I understand that the top-rated products were Zymol Cleaner Wax, Prestone Bullet Wax, Nu Finish Car Polish and ArmorAll Car Wax.

Maybe you'd enjoy a few more hours of research?

Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts)

In spite of that theory I reported, I do wax my van once or twice a year whether it needs it or not :-)

Steve
    Host

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The clearcoat is only about as thick as two paper towels, in other words, it's not very thick at all. Waxing it helps to protect and prolong it, as well as to deepen the shine/gloss of the paint.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    this does not have anything to do with the wax, this has to do with how important this mazda is to me. I have been looking at the 2002 altima, for some time now, I have a 2001 mazda trib es, and i want to sell it and but the alt, but i dont know if i should. One the mazda has all wheel drive, the alt has trac control, so i dont dont know how sure footed the alt is in snow. Next is the cargo space, out right the trib has more space,but do i need it, i dunno. Next is power, i was racing a pontiac on a street, i got burned,not badly but not too good, i was thinking of getting a k-b supercharger, but with getting 15-16 mpg, already it would cost me whole to, this is where the alt comes in, - 240 hp engine, I would have raped the guy then, and also the interior is s0o much nicer then the trib - bose stereo, dual power seats etc,also i know the reliability of nissan is top notch, and unsure bout mazda's. Also i have had so many damn rattles in my jeep, i love it though, but i dont know what to do, please help me, pleaswe email me at lexusap@aol.com, b/c i barely check posts, thank you. Also the alt comes with so much more, plus hids, i can get replacement bulbs, for the trib, but is it worth it/legal. I am going out for a test drive soon, and also what should i sell i have a 7 yr warranty - six left on, with 10000 miles on, and in perfect condition, is it worth it to sacrifice none months of fun for just those 3 months of winter,help me, ahhhh, thanx
  • rscotts54rscotts54 Member Posts: 47
    Host Steve...

What happened to the long-term test on the Tribute. It doesn't seem to have been updated since February???
    Please follow the link below and then look at the right side column of the page:
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/44729/article.html

Drew
    Host
  • rscotts54rscotts54 Member Posts: 47
    I get a Edmunds "File Not Found" message when I click on the link. When I manually go to the page I get the March Review and links on the right to January and February. I've tried to "reload" the page and still get the same view.

Does anyone else have the same problem???
    That is very odd indeed. I just tried the link above that I posted and I didn't have any problems loading it. What browser and version are you using?

Drew
    Host
  • tinycow1tinycow1 Member Posts: 4
    Looking into buying a Tribute. Any news on the Trib stalling when going down a hill. I read the review but nothing was mentioned on that problem. Has is been resolved?

Many thanks
  • turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    It seems like isolated incidents. I live in a town of 40,000 people & 3 of my buds & I all have tribs. We all have over 15,000 kilo,s & the only prob was fuel smell wich was rectified on all 3 of the vehicles.
  • mikey235mikey235 Member Posts: 5
    Well folks, I did it! I have braved the horrors of dashboard disassembly and successfully removed that awful noise!!! That heart stopping alarm clock of a door chime which seemed to have something to say every time I started and ended a drive, IS GONE!! My ES Tribby is now perfect. Ya hoo! I've been waiting for this day for a year.
    Wanna know how I did it?...OK here's the recipe:

(You'll need a small socket wrench set, and a small "star" bit screwdriver.)

**BEWARE** I would assume that this is probably a crime in many states, as a door chime is probably seen as some kind of "safety" device rather than a simple annoyance. Proceed at your own peril.

**TAKE NOTE** This chime is of NO USE. A Trib's headlights will turn themselves off after 25 seconds. And if you can't remember to take your keys with you before you lock your car, you probably can't drive a car.

The chiming device is located on the circuit board that makes up the back of the speedometer cluster. To rip it out (a permanent fix) you simply need to get the cluster out of the dash and take it apart. No problemo, 1 hour tops!

Step 1> Remove the two screws above the speedo cluster in the black panel of the dash. Pull the panel out using a screwdriver to wedge into the edge. Other than the 2 screws, there's only "plugs" holding the entire black section of dash in. The wiring for the various climate controls and switches will only let the panel come a couple of inches out.

2> Unplug the power mirrors control and the fog lights switch wiring harnesses. These both have "catches" that need to be pressed in order to get them unplugged. Put the AT gear shifter in 1st. (Emergency brake on?) You'll need to turn the key on w/o starting to get it in first. Hear that?! Don't worry. It only sounds that way because it knows that you're coming to KILL IT!
    Sorry, I digress. Turn off the ignition.

3> Lift the left side of the black panel out and up until it can be "hooked" on the steering wheel. Now you can get to the speedo cluster.

4> Using the same sized socket, remove the 4 screws that hold the cluster in place.

5> Unplug the three wireing harnesses on the speedo cluster. Don't worry, this won't change your odometer. Take it out. Move to a bench or table with a towel for CAREFUL disassembly.

6> Unscrew the 5 "star" screws on the back of the cluster. Remove the white protective panel.

7> Remove the 4 "star" screws at the top of the circuit board. Gently pry the circuit board up. It's only being held down to the cluster now by four sets of electrical plugs that are like tight wall socket plugs.

8> On the "inside" of the circuit board is where all the transistors and chips and CHIMES are located. The chime is one of the largest things on the board. It's cylindrical (about .5" x .5"), with a small hole on top. Inside the hole there's metalic resonater that can be seen.

9> Now the fun part. Using a pliers, your fingers or perhaps your teeth, grab that puppy and twist and pull until it breathes its last. Set on garage floor.
    Now stomp!...stomp, stomp, stomp.....stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp,.. stomp, stomp, stomp.
    Ahhh, don't you feel better now?

10> Put your dash back together in reverse order.

This shouldn't take more than an hour from start to finish. The reason it took me a year to do, was because I couldn't find it before today. Thanks bunches to Jim for the "stethescope" idea. I used a peice of vacuum hose in one ear and an ear plug in the other to figure out that the chime was actually in the speedo.
    I've driven the car 3 times since I took out the chime and have noticed no ill affects. I did just think that this might void your warranty, hmmmmm....Be very careful doing this! If you do it right though, no one will ever know! Good luck, 007.

As for RACKS...

We,ve used our factory Trib rack to hold a Thule "rocket box" for 2 cross country trips. It worked fine, and we had 60+ pounds in the box. I would think that the factory cross bars could handle a couple of 25# bikes.

Later All,
    Mike
  • silvertributesilvertribute Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone tell me where the EEC or PCM is located on the Tribute. I have a silver 2001 and it has 18,000 miles on it. It has only stalled once for me while trying to do a u-turn. I was able to restart it right away and no trouble since. I average 22 miles per gallon on gas. Any help would be great. I talked with my dealer and they are not aware of any fix any time soon like someone posted here on this site. Called Mazda customer service and they told me that they were not aware of any problems with this in any Tributes and that I should take it to the dealer for them to look at right away. They were also going to note my record about the problem. So who knows what will come of it if any. They claim that Mazda techs look at all records.
    THANKS mikey235 for showing the way so clearly for Us to follow in your post 833! I too think the Chime is one of those "bells and whistles" just tacked on by some committe, pretending to add value or safety but in truth just being first a nag and then a nuisance to adult drivers, especially if they want to leave their headlight switch always on for DRL safety. Silence is more valuable to me. I am going to perform the "operation" on my escape but I may not "twist" the sounder off the PC board in the style of -007. A fill with 5-minute epoxy or a cut trace would also silence the sounder. If some people want to make it "effectively silent" without altering the PC board and its warranty, just wrap the sounder carefully over and around with picture mounting foam tape and apply a bit on the back of the PC board behind it. That last is the style Bank robbers like to use. Thanks very much again for posting! jim
    Thanks to mickey235 for the info on racks. Yakima has a mount called the Mighty Mount that attaches to the factory cross bars. However they have said that the bars are not strong enough to use bike mounts or kayak mounts. I have placed two sea kayaks on using only foam mounts and have had no problem driving 70 MPH with those attached. Is Yakima just trying to "up sell" or are these bars really flimsy for bikes, etc. Has anyone tried these Mighty Mounts on a Trib?
    Ok, I'm done with the waxing topic of last week - used Liquid Gold this weekend and works great - easy and good shine - hope it protects like I've been told.

Instead, here's a new one - my 12K warranty period is looming - any suggestions as to what to look for before my final trip to the dealership under a complete warranty?

I assume some of you have been through this and might have some things that you had to (or wanted to) get fixed while it's still free.

Please give me the benefit of your well-earned earned wisdom. Thanks.
    I remember reading in Consumer Reports back in 1998 about the, then, new 626. It had no chime for the headlights, but it did have auto-off lights. CR was all over the car about not giving an audible warning; go figure!

The DOT does require a seatbelt chime and ignition key chime is solely a gift to the many who have locked their keys in their car.
  • utopiautopia Member Posts: 24
    I notice Edmunds long-term test on the 2WD Trib posts 18 mpg as best mileage, 12 as worst & 14 overall average! HOST or anyone know why such poor gas mileage? Some of the other owners comment on getting at least in the 20 mpg range. We're just about to decide to purchase a new 2002 Trib over the Honda CR-V, but it would absolutely eat my lunch if I didn't get somewhere in the 20 mpg range. Comments on mpg or any other pros/cons are welcome. Thanks....
    Don't know - maybe it's all that freeway driving? (Edmunds is based out of Santa Monica in the greater LA area).

Steve
    Host

I've noticed that gas from any other state gets me 3-4 mpg more than California gas. As Steve says, they are also in the heart of grid-lock central. Those two factors are enough to make your difference.
    I think Edmunds' Tribute is the AWD model. Most editors also seem to be a bit lead footed ;-) This is true for Motor Trend's, C&D's, and R&T magazine's editors as well.

Drew
    Host
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    If you look at the monthly report for August, you will notice that they had a best mileage of 21.5 MPG, a worst of 17.7 MPG, and a life of vehicle average of 18.7 MPG. If you go back a couple of more months the numbers are very similar to those in August. Me thinks there is a typo somewhere in the September write-up because the numbers do not make sense.

Just my $.02
  • phengpheng Member Posts: 5
    Bought my trib January 2001. Noticed an oil leak and took it to the dealership. They tightened up a gasket so they say problem is solved. Came home, a few days later leak was still there. Took it back to the dealership and was told they have to replace rack due to leak. They gave me a rental car, which is part of the warranty, for a few days....bottom line is, now I'm having second thoughts on why I did not purchase the extended warranty. This is only 10 months...10,000 miles...anybody have the same problem? Can I purchase the extended warranty at this point?
  • scattershieldscattershield Member Posts: 11
    FYI. Mindy posted another thread but was suggested to move here.
    --->We picked up a Mazda Tribute at the end of August,We have a Honda SUV but wanted a V6. There is annoying wind noise coming from the front two doors and possibly the front of the windshield or moon roof. Can this be fixed? <---

I sat in my first Escape this morning. Very comfy. It may win the race in my head between Santa Fe and Escape. Anyway, while peering in the drivers window I saw a one inch+ gap on the passenger side at the door jam. I laughed and thought shoddy workmanship. But I saw the same gap on the driver's door when looking from the passenger side.
    I own a Sable and when the door loosened only 1/8 inch I noticed wind noise from the doors. I adjusted the doors. Noise gone! I love a quiet car so I usually hunt down noises and deaden them if I can.
    In the Trib/Escape a one inch wide sponge strip with PSA can attach to the open seam. This vehicle was yellow so sponge may not look cool when the door is open. But I tell you there will be a difference in sound. (One inch is my visual estimate. It may be two inches.)
    I didn't test drive the Escape but came to Edmunds today just to see what drivers thought of road noise from doors and bang! Mindy's post.
    Good luck Tribbles and add to this if ye have other door noise fixes.
    Regards.
    I am getting consistent 24 MPG on road (even with a kayak on top) and 20+ mixed city/road. V-6 with some hills and small mountains. Don't foresake the tribute in favor of the CRV.
  • crashproofcrashproof Member Posts: 19
    I've been shopping for a SUV for about a month and have narrowed it down to a Tribute, Escape, or Highlander. My 1984 sedan is about to croak so it's about time. :) My preferred choice is the Tribute ES. The look and price are the qualities attracting me to it. Add the premium audio option and I'm in nirvana. The slight wind noise I heard on my test drive wasn't enough to be a deterrent.

What concerns me the most are the crash test results. The Tribute (and Escape) only receives a marginal rating by the IIHS (www.hwysafety.org). Does that concern any of you too? Fortunately, its score at the NHTSA were all 5 stars with one 4 star rating. Does anyone know why it did so well on one test and poorly on another? I don't really want to cross off Tribute from my choices for this reason only but I'm still undecided. Any thoughts about this issue?
    The difference in the two tests may be due to one test focusing on the cost of vehicle repair versus the other test focusing on the possibility of personal injury. (Not sure about this, though.)

Call your insurance agent and check out insurance rates for any vehicles you are shopping. It may be a significant factor in your choice.
    It's the testing method. IIHS does an offset frontal crash where NHTSA is full frontal. It's hard to say which is more accurate. Obviously there is a lot of debate on which is better. Seems like IIHS would have more interest in accuracy than NHTSA, IMO. Either way, the real world is hard to simulate in controlled tests.
  • crashproofcrashproof Member Posts: 19
    I called Geico and there isn't a substantial difference in the rates among the SUV's I'm interested in.

No other SUV is as appealing to me as the Tribute where styling is concerned. If I don't go with the Tribute, I guess I'll have to settle with the Highlander that gets good marks on the IIHS. JD Power also gives the Toyota SUV a higher rating. And then there are the latest rash of stalling problems with some of the Tributes. :( It's making it tougher for me to simply go with the Tribute which is my favorite.
  • kaboterkaboter Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about getting the Tribute
    but not sure if I should get the extended
    warranty. My SO thinks it's not worth it,
    but I'm a little bit worried after reading
    about the Escape/Tribute stalling problem.
    Does Mazda offer a standard extended warranty
    or is it a dealer-by-dealer thing?