Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Understanding Tire Warranties

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in General
Understanding Tire Warranties

Tire warranties can cover premature wear, road hazards and defects, but improper use or maintenance can void your coverage. If something happens to your tires, it's best to know your options.

Read the full story here

Comments

• sean007sean007 Member Posts: 1
    i have hankook tires on my vehicle which came with the car. I called and wrote them concerning 24,000 miles and tires worn out. Thsy said go pound salt you mistreated the tires I rotated them every 5k
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I have 4 Michelin P265/65/17 LTX MS2 tires dry rotted at 3 years 12 days old with only 22,000 miles. Time to see what Michelin will do. The matching spare I purchased at the same time is flawless. I notice numerous online complaints about Michelin LTX tires. The 18" tires are recalled, but not the 17". Vehicle is a 2003 4Runner which weighs about 4800lbs with a full tank of fuel & me.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Was that three years from purchase or three years from manufacture?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    First step is to go to a tire dealer and see what they will do for you. As a general rule, cracking due to weathering is not covered unless it is severe - and that is a matter of judgement.

If that fails, call Michelin directly on their 800 number.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    When my 2012 Mazda CX-9 had only 29k miles on it, the OE Bridgestone tires were worn out. I did some research and decided on the Yokohama YK580 (exclusively sold by Discount Tire). I have the YK580s on my 2006 Mazda3 and they're the best tires I've ever had on that car. Unfortunately, at 52k miles (just 23k miles on the YK580s), they were worn down to 4/32". They had a 60k treadwear warranty and I had rotated every 5k miles. Since I only got 23k out of the 60k miles, I was given a credit for approximately 61% of the original purchase price, which totaled $417. There aren't a lot of choices in my tire size, 205/50VR20, but I went with the highest rated on all the sites I checked- the Michelin Premier LTX. They're great so far and Discount Tire was great about honoring the treadwear warranty!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • yarub_1966yarub_1966 Member Posts: 1
    Guys, i need a help from you to get contact person in Michelin Group to deliver a complain about Michelin tires Dealer. Thanks in advance. Regards,
    edited April 2016
    Probably won't matter - even if you find the "VP of Dealer Relations" your complaint will likely still get shunted to customer service.

Michelin contact info.

These days, sometimes a Tweet works about better than anything, if they'll let you reply to a tweet.
  • jwhinsonjwhinson Member Posts: 1
    I really should have asked this when I bought the tires on my wife's car, but would me doing the tire rotations myself void the warranty? We bought 60K tires for her car in February and they're down to 5/32 in the front (after most recent rotation) and 2/32 in the back. Taking it to Walmart after work to check out the warranty options, but I thought I'd ask here as well.
    Guess it depends on how hard nosed they want to be and what kind of proof you have (if any) that you did the rotations.

The other thing is that most tire warranties are pro-rated deals so you won't get a "free" tire, but some money off a replacement.

What's the car? Minivan?
  • shelburne1237shelburne1237 Member Posts: 1
    I word to the wise. I had a new Michelin tire put on at a Ford Dealership. When I asked about a warranty I was told it did not have one. What I found out is that Ford has a clause in its service contract that says you agree that the tire warranty is not backed by Ford but is the responsibility of the Michelin Tire company. This means if a tire the Ford Service Department puts on your car fails that you can expect no help from them in the replacement. What happened to companies standing behind the products they sell to the customer??.

Myron Shelburne
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745

What happened to companies standing behind the products they sell to the customer??. Myron Shelburne

The same thing that has happened to everythng else in the face of unbalanced competition. By consumers being able to buy tires on line etc. they have had to cut prices to the point where there is next to no profit for them in regards to selling you the tire and installing it. In order to do that something else had to also be cut and that of course is any warranty beyond what the tire manufacturer offers. BTW, to make some of that profit back, it's common to see shops sell road hazzard policies on the tires. What that does is it gets you the warranty you expect except it isn't included in the price of the tire anymore.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well they are still responsible for an errors related to mounting and balancing.
    edited July 2018

Well they are still responsible for an errors related to mounting and balancing.

But only mounting or balancing issues. It didn't used to be that way, we would goodwill warranty all kinds of things that were above and beyond what we really should have been responsible for. I'll never forget the guy with the red Wrangler that brought me back a destroyed tire that he claimed blew out on him. Meanwhile the outline of the screw and washer in the tread that had pierced the tire was as plain as the print on your screen. He ran that over, punctured the tire and then drove on it flat as far as it would go and yet still got his money back for the tire. Yeah I know there are millions of other anecdotal stories where the shop was at fault, that guy with the red Jeep still tells his.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I used to use a local independent shop. When the tires wore out on my CR-V, I opted for the latest Bridgestone Turanza LS-T. Mounted, balanced.... But, got a weird vibration. Shop moved front to back, side to side, etc, etc.. Couldn't get rid of the vibration. Checked the balance.. all good.

Owner borrowed his niece's CR-V, swapped her wheels on to my car... No vibration. Sent the new Bridgestones back to the distributor, and I replaced them with the same brand/model that came on the car.

Doubt that would have happened with the chain store.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I used to use a local independent shop.

Are they still in business?
    kyfdx said:

Can't really agree on that. Most of them will give away the store to try and make someone happy.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681

kyfdx said:

I used to use a local independent shop.

Are they still in business?
    kyfdx said:

Can't really agree on that. Most of them will give away the store to try and make someone happy.

He is still in business. It's a two-man operation, and he is on the far side of 65.

I gave him a lot of business. At one time, I had four cars, and two of them with winter and summer sets.
    But, about six years ago, he mounted a couple of low-profile 18" tires for me... and said, "I'll be okay if you don't bring me any more 18" wheels".

Plus, at the time, I had a 9-5 job, and he was only open from 8-5, M-Fr, and so I moved on to other shops.
    He did great work for me, until he couldn't/wouldn't any more.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Bass1221Bass1221 Member Posts: 1
    Do you have to get your tires rotated every six months to qualify for the warranty? I don't put a lot of miles on my car, so 6000-8000 miles could take a year+.