Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

1218219220221222224»

Comments

• caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Hi winter2,

Is your broken engine still visible ?

I will ride (not drive) to Miami soon :shades:
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Caribou,

The engine is still at the dealership but it is not in Miami but in Melbourne, near Cape Canaveral.

Have a great time in Florida.
  • bassetslavebassetslave Member Posts: 22
    Hi
    Getting rid of the car. Cannot afford to keep fixing the car

Buying a brand new car. with warranty
    Hi all,
    Little CRD went to technical inspection:
    She needs new rear brakes and an oil seal change, the rest is perfect after all these years :)
  • crash227crash227 Member Posts: 46
    caribou1,
    Congratulations on a decade with the CRD! I hope my CRD lasts a decade as well!! Mine is a 2006 but I have had some problems in the 7 years I have owned it. First, I was VERY LUCKY that Chrysler gave me a new engine in 2008 even though I was a little beyond the substandard 36,000 mile warranty. The transmission was rebuilt at about 130,000 miles and I now have 100,000 miles on the Second Motor! My CRD still has all the OEM parts. I change the oil every 6,000 miles and use The Mobil One recommended in the owners manual. I use Diesel Kleen in every tank of fuel and Regularly Blow The Soot out of it by running it hard in spurts until it stops belching black out the exhaust. I love the CRD but have handed it down to my daughter. I would like to make a few of the after-market equipment additions that seem to serve some Forum contributors well. I plan to change the timing belt and water pump soon, so I decided I should make a few improvements to help the CRD keep up the good work.
    I look forward to your response.
  • crash227crash227 Member Posts: 46
    caribou1,
    I forgot to ask the question that I had in mind when in my first reply. I would like your recommendation for the top few things I can do to help my CRD last another 100,000 miles.
    Thanks,
    Crash227
    Hi crash227,
    Apart from occasional cleaning of my K&N air filter, preventive replacement of the Parker-Racor 2micron diesel fuel filters (beige cartridge) every 50,000 Km and changing of the 5W-40 blended semi-synthetic oil every 15,000 miles, that's about all I do !

- I no longer use Shell Rotella engine oil because the pressurized air hose between the turbo and the intercooler was leaching a substance that made it collect dust.
    - The Optima battery lasted 5 years then went 'Open' without a warning; simultaneously at least one of the diodes of the voltage regulator blew (these are built into the alternator) and the compound AC+DC voltage created a humming sound through the serpentine belt.
    - Automatic transmission oil came with the truck and is still at level.
    - Transfer case oil is at level.
    - Rear differential is at level, only the front differential needs a new lip seal on the drive line (nose).
    - I flushed the power steering fluid with ATF4+ to make it look cleaner.
    - This truck shows no rust and never stayed under covered shelter, only my motorcycle deserves such treament ;)
  • leland_jacksonleland_jackson Member Posts: 6
    My 2005 is going strong at 70K with 25mpg in town and 30 on the highway. It idles smoothly in Drive, but runs rough in Reverse unless I can rev it up a little. Why would forward/reverse make a difference in how it idles?
  • unclebob9unclebob9 Member Posts: 103
    First scheck your transmission fluid.
    possibly a broken motor mount? or a vacuum leak?
    In reverse the torque shifts direction
    Watch the engine as someone else sits in it and puts it into reverse, see if it lifts on one side (motor mount)
    see if it flexes any hoses that might cause a vacuum leak.
    If all the above look ok, change your fuel filter and see if that clears it.
    Things to help your CRD survive:
    1. Provent system. (or you can make your own).
    2. pick up a replace the fuel tank sending unit with one from an early 2000's dodge diesel pick-up. These have a fuel pump in them and puts positive pressure to the engine rather than the engine having to suck the fuel from the tank.
    3. Green diesel eco-tune.
    4. trans-go shift kit.
    5. High flow muffler
    6. when your door speakers start to vibrate with base, you can buy a bebuild kit for them on EBAY for about $18.
  • leland_jacksonleland_jackson Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, Uncle Bob. The transmission fluid was fine, and the problem seemed to go away after I checked. I think the transmission dip stick had not been seated properly. Maybe that let the pressure or vacuum vary too much? Surprising!
    Hi,
    I would check the reverse clutch control(s), ie the specific solenoid valve(s) and wiring. Fluid level if incriminated applies to all gears. My dip-stick is often 1" above its seated position and this does not affect my transmission.
  • willysjeepwillysjeep Member Posts: 107
    I put about 1,000 miles on the Jeep last weekend. Mileage is usually about 23, but last weekend it computed about 30 something. Is it possible that the Jeep gets much better mileage about 70 mph? I was told that is when the EGR valve stops blowing crap into the engine. Is it at the apex of the power curve at this speed? It ran well. I have over 100k miles on the machine. I'm still wondering about getting the tune to get better mileage and keep the EGR valve shut. (Green Diesel)

What problems? brakes, fuel injectors, mice chewin' on the wires, batteries goin' dead in cold weather, bad seals, EGR valve, wheel bearing and rear differential. I try to change oil every 3,000 miles, but it usually is about 5,000 before I get to it. Parking brakes are gone. I'm on my second set of tires and still have good tread. How long do they last? ;)

I hope to make it to 10 years with the beast.
    on mine the overhead computer is about 4 mpg on the high side.
    Put on a provent system (or you can make your own version) this gets alot of the crapy old oil out of the intake system. On my 06, I was already getting 30+ on the hwyway, the GD eco tune, did not seem to improve my MPG, but it did give me more power.
    all around I am getting 26 to 27 mpg, on long trips I get 30-32 mpg.
    bob
    Uncle Bob wrote:

Put on a provent system (or you can make your own version) this gets alot of the crapy old oil out of the intake system.

I think I should try that. This vehicle turns good oil into liquid dirt in short order. There is a video on U-Tube showing one how to do this.

A while back I had the ceramic glow plugs replaced with steel glow plugs. They reflashed the computer at that time and it seems as though my mileage dropped. Is that possible? Then I wonder if the green diesel tune would bring the mileage back up :confuse:

10 years already ...
    I was recently informed that after 10 years Jeep parts (brakes and chassis) are no longer stored when not simply declared unavailable!
    In the EU Jeeps were sold (and powered) by Renault then came Chrysler and Daimler now Fiat.
    Changing partnerships created a dilution of competence because pros can't afford time to learn hidden details of each manufacturer.

To make it short I had to wait 2 weeks for original brake parts and after one month my structural element hasn't arrived yet.

This should be another Happy New Year for CRD owners, I hope ;)

@caribou1 said:
    10 years already ...
    I was recently informed that after 10 years Jeep parts (brakes and chassis) are no longer stored when not simply declared unavailable!
    In the EU Jeeps were sold (and powered) by Renault then came Chrysler and Daimler now Fiat.
    Changing partnerships created a dilution of competence because pros can't afford time to learn hidden details of each manufacturer.

To make it short I had to wait 2 weeks for original brake parts and after one month my structural element hasn't arrived yet.

This should be another Happy New Year for CRD owners, I hope ;)

After 5 weeks of uncertainty and total absence of support, the body shop finally used sheet metal to form my right door frame.

Caribou:

I'm right behind you with 9 years. Maybe, I'll finally get the Green Diesel tune this year and install the ProVent. I hope Fiat keeps supporting thiis vehicle. It does have an Italian engine so I'm hoping there is some kind of loyalty there.

You know - The door frame and brakes should be the same as a gas Jeep. There's still beau coup Jeep Liberty's running down the road. Parts should be available! You'd think the local junk yard would have had that door part. (Maybe - They don't have junk yards in France.)

Yah - I hope it's a good year for Jeep Liberty diesel owners. The tenth year may be my last. I want higher mileage.

@willysjeep said:
    (Maybe - They don't have junk yards in France.)

We have fewer junk yards nowadays, scrap metals are recycled rapidly and Eastern Europe is absorbing the recent and better quality second-hand vehicles. Jeep Liberty trucks (and competitors) are sanctioned by a 6,000 Euro "ECO" or "Welcome" tax at the time of purchase.
    I am refurbishing mine after 11 years of ownership because I have never found an equivalent.
    My Provent still sits in my garage because the oil fume separator that came with the engine works perfectly.

My original (Optima) battery lasted 5 years; the replacement battery (Johnson Controls) lasted 6 years. Now I fitted a (Banner) AGM battery that needed trimming of the longitudinal clamping 'protrusions/feet' plus milling of the battery tray designed for coiled cells.
    After all these years I lost my radio code and Jeep dealership wants to charge $100 to unlock a $50 radio.
    Guess what ;)

• elder2elder2 Member Posts: 17

Hi all. Replaced the timing belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, and water pump last summer at 100K miles by myself. Info on internet was most helpful, but it was still a difficult job. CRD runs great, but unfortunately, the Crown (brand) water pump failed at 114K. The timing belt was real loose and coolant leaked real fast. It was only a miricale the t-belt didn't slip and ruin the engine. I'm visiting CA, from WI, so I ordered a new w-pump & a thermostat, which had failed open a couple of K ago. I wire tied the T-belt to the crank pulley, Injector pump, and cam pulleys to preserve the timing. I cut the ear of the back timing cover off with a dremel, so I needn't remove the cam pulleys and avoided that involved procedure as the tools were back in Wis. The screws on the front cover hold the cut back piece in position. I used JB Weld to fill the cuts and stabilize that back cover piece in front of the water pump. Runs great with an OEM water pump, looking for 200K+.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209

wow, elder2, nice job, that is very mcguyver of you.

Our local Bio-diesel distillery ceased it's activity, declared bankruptcy and left a contaminated industrial site to those who had faith in recycling waste oil.

Do you have a similar situation in the US?

It has been a very long time since I posted here. The saga with the Jeep comes to an end later this week. The wife and I have tried multiple avenues to try and resolve this matter and all have led to a dead end. We are sending the Jeep to the junk yard for scrap and that is the end of that.

The wife and I are done with Chrysler and are satisfied with our Ford and Subaru products. I would have loved to have had that thing repaired but it was not to be. The treatment we received from Chrysler and the dealer in Florida have totally soured us toward anything Chrysler.

Caribou, I have a bit of feedback for you on your brake issue. Why use OEM parts? There are many good after market parts providers for Jeep that offer OEM and better quality parts for the Jeep. I used a good number of them on the Jeep including slotted and cross drilled rotors with Hawk disc brake pads.

Good luck to all of you.
    Good Luck to you Winter2. I don't like trusting my vehicles to dealers. I'm lucky to be able to do my own repairs. The CRD has been the most difficult of all. I've just added a lift pump after another episode of fuel starvation. As others have said, the idle is smoother and quieter, starts on 1st turn of the key, and no more fuel starvation on hard acceleration. I just changed the struts and shocks. Shocks were easy, struts were not. I have had good success with Ford vehicles (5 since 1995) and one subaru that went 300k miles. I'm about to buy the 4th set of tires, so I hope the jeep keeps going. If I can get it to +200k miles, I'll be happy.
    winter2 said:

Why use OEM parts? There are many good after market parts providers for Jeep that offer OEM and better quality parts for the Jeep.

Hi winter2,
    In the EU there are few opportunities to obtain rebates, you only get what you pay for i.e. maximum public prices are applied everywhere to collect VAT (including on the cost of labor). In the past I used after market parts and my experience over the long term is when you keep your vehicle you will have less worries and be financially even with OEM parts. Now when you sell your old vehicle equipped with original parts this is a sign of confidence.
    This year I tried TOYO Open Country A/T tires (225/75 R16) and found them excellent on dry pavement. I still have to find winter tires for severe weather conditions and deep snow; I fear none can beat the BFG A/T to get out of a parking spot once the snow plow covered half of the vehicle :D
    Elder and Caribou,

Best of luck with your respective Libertys. Elder, the addition of a lift pump is a great idea and one should have been built onto the Jeep in the first place. Caribou, we tried Toyo high performance tires on my wife's last Chrysler. They were okay but bouncy when compared to the Pirelli tires they replaced. The issue with the VAT, well that is a problem. There has been talk of a VAT here in the U.S. from time to time and that is as far as it has gotten. Any attempt to implement a VAT here would more than likely lead to a mass lynching of Congress and the President. I would be one of the participants. :) I have found that most after market parts were as good and in some cases superior to the OEM parts and usually for less money.

I miss the Jeep at times still, especially all of that luscious torque. The Subaru is a decent car that could use a diesel. The four banger is adequate and the CVT helps make the most out of what the engine has to offer. Fuel economy is equivalent to the CRD. I know Subaru makes a diesel that is sold in the EU but we will not ever see it here in the United States. Great fuel saving technology like that is frowned upon here. I did consider a VW TDI but after doing some research concluded that the crankcase was too small. Had the crankcase held 50% more oil, I would have purchased a VW TDI in lieu of the Subaru.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    Winter2, sorry to read that after four years the CRD went to the scrap yard since you tried so hard to care for it. I remember you calling Motori about oil and possibly the weak torque converter. 

Better_half's hand me down H3 just became a base Escape only add was ford window tinting already on it while my rubicon became a GX 460 for her. 

Almost ten thousand miles on the escape in four months. One oil change by me at less than four thousand miles. The seats are comfortable and lifetime average of over twenty four miles per gallon. Fun to drive - miss the crd - no. Another mopar vehicle - never. 

Happy Holidays to you. 
    Looks like these posts have come to an end. I still have my 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel. It's been 10 years. I have not had the same success that I had with my Dodge Dakota truck which I kept 12 years. I put new tires on it about 1500 miles ago, did the brakes, changed the belt and the fuel filter. I am thinking about getting rid of it. I have never found a satisfactory solution to the EGR valve. This was a flaw in this vehicle. The mileage isn't that great and diesel fuel almost always costs more. It hasn't been a comfortable car to drive. It eats batteries every three years or so. Despite the lower fuel prices that we currently see, I long for 40 miles per gallon. I have lived in an area that gets lots of snow. I have never got stuck with it, but 4 wheel drive vehicles get lousy mileage. Did I have the last word?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yep. :)

Did I have the last word?

Not yet :D

I received a recall (from FIAT France / JEEP) saying there is a weak spot in the rear structure of my truck. Why not? After 12 years of flawless service FIAT thinks it's time for another round of buns and coffee.
    Part of the lyrics in an old Doors tune goes, "This is the End. This is the End, my friend." This is the end. I had injector problems and had them repaired at the dealer. It was expensive. I had enough. After 10+ years, the Jeep and I have parted ways. I now own a small used Ford.

I believe this car was a failed experiment on the part of Daimler Chrysler. (Now Fiat Chrysler?)

Too many problems. For my needs it was a mistake. A wise mechanic told me that a diesel car will cost you more up front and more for maintenance and repair. The Jeep convinced me he was right. Parts for the engine are very high. The mileage is not as good as a non 4 wheel drive vehicle. Too many idiosyncrasies. Unless you are an ace mechanic, I would not purchase one of these.

Good luck to you all,........adios.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for posting - and thanks for being an early adopter. Good luck with the Ford!

I believe this car was a failed experiment on the part of Daimler Chrysler.

I still have the 150HP Euro-3 prototype of the US model considered "de-rated" by a few posters. After 13 years of flawless service the little CRD easily passes pollution inspection, needed two batteries and one alternator, starts promptly with the original injectors and glow plugs during the winter. I have new disks front and rear. The body doesn't show any rust because it came with a proper corrosion protection. Chrysler gave a 12 year warranty against perforation by corrosion if I remember correctly.

I must fully agree with you willysjeep, it was quite an unfortunate marketing decision to "push" the performance of this robust engine not considering it could make it less reliable and that it could induce automatic transmission failures in the simplistic view of optimizing the use of it's torque.

Good luck with your Ford ;)
    edited July 2015
    I agree that CRDs are not for everyone and because they seem to be a Jeep engineering experiment they have more issues then most diesel vechicals and that means expensive repairs. I've done everything myself so far and it has been alot more than on any car I've owned, and being 69 yrs old and a gearhead, thats been many cars and trucks, all of them gas. I live in a diesel powered RV, and it has been trouble free in 80k miles. That's the way a good diesel should run and for many more miles than a gaser. Anyhow, awhile ago the CRD started to surge on full acceleration. I saw the boost gauge go to 20 psi and to 15 psi and back to 20, down to 15 etc. I checked the turbo hoses & clamps and they were good and tight, These were the original hoses at 120k. I thought that they were either balloning or had a crack or hole opening under pressure. I replaced them with Mishimoto hi-performance hoses from Amazon for about $130. Problem solved and both response and MPGs are improved. I recently towed a double axle car trailer to pickup a 1965 Ford Thunderbird for a friend. No problem, lots of torque. Lets see another SUV in the Libertys class do that. If the CRD had been done right, it could have been much more popular and more of them would have been built. I belive Jeep lost money on the recalls and lost a bunch of repeat customers. I plan to run my CRD for as long as I can fix it at reasonable cost. It has been an experience so far for 10 Yrs. Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents. in.
    Hi all,
    Has anyone replaced the timing belt, water pump and tensioner pulley on the CRD?
    I would like to know which tooling works best for setting the timing positions.
    I'm thinking of the Bates timing kit "gat4945a" offered on Ebay.
  • MoonsistaMoonsista Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    Dose any one still have their CRD on the road? Mine is at 120k, 2006 she needs some work done. Possibly the bearings and a exhaust leak (minor into cab). At this point I'm deciding whether to fix and keep on keeping on or to sell (possibly part out).
    Any opinions? Or CRD collectors with help on how go about this?