Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Mazda CX-5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,316
    Also... to echo the previous comment. Incentives can definitely vary between purchase and lease and finance.. Sometimes lease incentives are less, because the lease program gives further incentives via below-market financing and unrealistically high residuals.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    calbears1calbears1 Member Posts: 54
    Dealers make money packaging car loans so some, ahem, grinders will go in and make the dealer think they are a payment buyer. Then the buyer pulls the switch in the F&I room.

Thus the old saw - dealers are stealers, but buyers are liars. :-)
    -________________________________________________________________________
    I agree with you, however, in my case I was not trying to mislead the dealer. I actually wasn't sure if i would lease or use approved private financing. So when i went to the dealer and decided i wanted to move forward, the salesmen asked how i was going to pay for the car, and given the low MF, i decided to lease. That is when the salesmen brought up the acquisition fee of $595.00 for leasing. I responded with yes i am aware of that, but there is also a cash rebate for leasing of xxx amount (i believe at the time it was $395.00) and then he responded with no that cash rebate was already calcuated in the purchase price we agreed to. I responded with, how could it be, if i used private financing or cash to purchase, the lease cash rebate wouldn't apply. The salesmen then said we can use the cash rebate on any deal at our discretion it doesn't have to be for a lease. Then i pulled up the lease cash rebate language and read it with him. My interpretation of the cash rebate is that it only applies as an incentive when you use in house leasing or financing. Is that correct? I felt like it was a bait and switch saying they arlready included it toward the OTD purchase price. I ended up walking out without signing.

What is your understanding of the cash rebate? Can it be used by the dealer on any type of deal (cash purchase , private financing)?

Thanks!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2014
    Hey @calbears1, hope I didn't imply that you were trying to mislead the dealer. Lots of people don't understand that cash deals (or outside financing) may yield less profit for dealers so some dealers may quote a better price to a payment buyer. Ergo the grinder's "system" that some people may try to use.

The fine print on the 2014 CX-9 (the only current cash incentive I see off-hand) says "Customer Cash is available towards retail purchases. May not be combined with Special APR available through Mazda Capital Services."

Looking at the military cash, it says "Military Bonus Cash is available towards leasing or retail purchases". That implies that the other cash offer you were relying on was only available for a purchase, not a lease.

So yeah, it gets confusing. The other fine print gives the dealer an out so they can simply decide not to participate on a particular incentive.

In your case, about the only thing I think you could have done would have been to ask another dealer how they would treat the cash incentive on a purchase vs a lease..
  • Options
    brewha021470brewha021470 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Just bought 2015 cx5 AWD GT msrp 32105, out the door $28605 which included $500 loyalty cash back (I own a cx9). Pearl white in color. ice and snow here today(Portland, Or.,) with a high of 32 degrees made for a great way to steal a CX 5, and 3.2% for 84 months to boot
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Sounds miserable.

The weather, not your CX-5. :smile: Congrats, love the pearl white!
  • Options
    perigperig Member Posts: 1
    Hey, first time poster here. I debated if I wanted to know or not if I got a good deal. But I figured if I can help a couple other people get the best deal they can, it would be worth it.

So I just bought a new 2105 CX-5 yesterday (no trade-in, financing).

Here is the deal I got in Mazda Fremont, CA:

Year: 2015
    Make: Mazda
    Model: CX-5 Touring 2WD
    Options: Bose/Moonroof Pkg
    Color: Blue Mica / Black
    MSRP: $26,925
    Invoice: $26,406
    Deal: $25,500 (including $250 cash back put towards down payment)

Adding tax (8.75%), licensing and misc CA fees with $2,000 down and 0.9% for 63 months.

Out the door $28,392.

The way I got there was by telling the guy the TrueCar price quoted of $24,800 with the Bose/Moonroof package and that I wanted the 0.9% financing for 60 months. He did not want to do both so he told me he could do either do the TrueCar price with a higher rate or the low rate I wanted but for $25,500. I figured I'd rather have a lower rate. Down the road it would end up being pretty comparable anyway.

I am not a big fan of debating for hours for a few hundred bucks and my wife and I needed a new car so I agreed without too much resistance. I am sure someone with more time and/or patience could squeeze a few hundred bucks.

Did I get a good deal?
  • Options
    A thousand bucks under invoice? Yeah, you did just fine. And I like the way you negotiate; lots of us don't have the energy or patience to grind every last dime from a deal. Congrats!
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I think it takes setting a target price and not budging. Just bought the wife a Audi A3 Saturday and she left the final negotiations with me. We found a similar unit at another nearby store who said they would match our numbers. Called the nearer store with the color she really wanted and after telling them we'd buy farther away with a less desireable color if they didn't drop their price to match what she wanted to pay. After a minute talking with the general manager, they agreed to our price so we went over and bought it. I am a man of my word and we did buy from the closer store...and she's thrilled! Sometimes one needs to stick to their guns and not cross that line in the sand to get the price you want to get!
    I almost got the Cx-5, it's a great vehicle but ended up with the Tucson!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    mbx4stevembx4steve Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2014
    Hi guys, Checking to see if these quotes are good or not. I live in Orange County, CA.

2015 CX5 2WD Touring (in silver)

Base Model: MSRP $25,790 Quote: $22,900

w/ Tech package: MSRP $28,410 Quote: $25,216

The quote prices are before tax and license. According to the dealer, I would have to finance through Mazda but not at the 0% or 0.9%. More like 2.99% if my credit qualifies. Using the special low rates would add $1,000 back to the price.

What do you think?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I did it! Bought a '15 CX5 in Meteor Gray. The dealer didn't have the silver in that option but agreed to drop the price. So I ended up buying the Touring base for $22,638 before tax and license. Financing was 3.49% through Mazda Capital. I did pay $500 more for a 3rd party roadside coverage which includes windshield replacement/repair, dent repair, key replacement, roadside assistance for 5 years with no deductible. I read in another forum that the CX5 has a windshield that's prone to chips and cracks. Replacement cost is $600 a pop. So I didn't mind paying for it since my insurance deductible is also high. I think I did pretty good!
  • Options
    Congrats @mbx4steve, looks like you got a great deal without any "real time" feedback from this discussion. That's a good $2,000+ off the invoice. Good interest rate too.

Enjoy the new ride!
  • Options
    Thanks Stever! It was a lot of work to go between 3 dealers and taking multiple calls from them. I would probably not do that again any time soon because it was very time consuming. But I did save a bit I think.
  • Options
    mokiavellimokiavelli Member Posts: 60
    mbx4steve said:

I did it! Bought a '15 CX5 in Meteor Gray. The dealer didn't have the silver in that option but agreed to drop the price. So I ended up buying the Touring base for $22,638 before tax and license. Financing was 3.49% through Mazda Capital. I did pay $500 more for a 3rd party roadside coverage which includes windshield replacement/repair, dent repair, key replacement, roadside assistance for 5 years with no deductible. I read in another forum that the CX5 has a windshield that's prone to chips and cracks. Replacement cost is $600 a pop. So I didn't mind paying for it since my insurance deductible is also high. I think I did pretty good!

That is a pretty good price. Can you disclose which city did you get that price?
  • Options
    Just a heads up for anyone in Northern Ca looking for Touring 2wd. I have received multiple quotes of $22,988 from multiple dealers, with standard financing. $500 higher for cash buyers. MSRP is $25,795. Right now Mazda is offering $1,500 incentive for finance and $1,000 for cash purchases. You can use that as a baseline for negotiating.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks @mokiavelli - are you happy with the ride so far?
  • Options
    @stever - I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I have gotten the quotes mentioned. In fact, in the SF bay area, there may be an additional $250 auto show incentive.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh, sorry, got confused by the quotes and the Meteor Gray purchase by @mbx4steve.

What's the plan then - wait till the end of the month or just pass the quotes back and forth between a few of the dealers?
  • Options
    js248js248 Member Posts: 1
    To give another price point, we just paid $24,300 (24,050 + 250 in fees, TTL not included) for a base silver Touring AWD (no moonroof, tech package, or other extras). Price included discounts for loyalty and financing through Mazda. The rate was higher than expected at 3.99% for 60 months, but we plan to pay it off fairly quickly. I didn't spend much time haggling as my wife is very impatient. I emailed 7 dealers that were within a reasonable driving distance, and asked for their best price including all fees. I heard back from all of them. The range between high and low offers was ~$800, excluding one very inflated offer from the dealer we visited for a test drive. The second best offer was $300 above the lowest. The second dealer was willing to match the first. We went with the second dealer since they were closer to us and not as pushy. We live in the Midwest.
  • Options
    pmac10000pmac10000 Member Posts: 4
    I'm in Eastern MA, and I received a dealer offer for a GT AWD at $27862 with no additional options other than wheel locks. Sounds good, BUT there is an large $399 "Dealer Doc Prep Fee" as well, and the quoted price includes a $1500 Mazda incentive that assumes I finance through MCS standard rates.

Hadn't heard of this $1500 incentive before. While I'm certain I could qualify, is this just a hidden fee? I'd prefer to take the $1500 incentive and just pay the principal ASAP if possible.

So I ask... Good deal? Or not.
  • Options
    stever said:

Oh, sorry, got confused by the quotes and the Meteor Gray purchase by @mbx4steve.

What's the plan then - wait till the end of the month or just pass the quotes back and forth between a few of the dealers?

I decided not to go for an SUV and will probably go for a 3 or 6 instead.
  • Options
    karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    I have an issue with Mazda's owner loyalty program. I will not pay $500 more for a new Mazda simply because I do not own or have not owned a Mazda.

Last year we were looking for a small CUV. We were seriously considering a CX-5. We traded numbers with a sales person in Virginia. On one occasion, I mentioned my concern about the $500 customer loyalty bonus. The sales person did not offer any concession. So, we bought a competitive vehicle.

A month later the sales person sent an email asking if we were still interested. I responded we bought a different vehicle. He asked why, I repeated my issue with the customer loyalty bonus. Amazingly, the sales person then stated if that was the only reason we did not buy a CX-5, he would have been able to make a necessary price adjustment. Dah!!!!

Actually, over the past five years or so, there have been at least three instances when I did not buy a Mazda because of their customer loyalty bonus. I know other manufacturers often have similar bonuses. However, with those other vehicles, the sales person has always made a concession to compensate me for the customer loyalty bonus.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Most people would have shrugged their shoulders and purchased the Mazda anyway. And lots of tire-kickers fib left and right to the dealers ("dealers are stealers but buyers are liars"), so the salesperson probably didn't believe you really cared about the incentive that much.

About all you could have done differently was get the final quote for the competition and showed it to the Mazda dealer. Or find another salesperson who's a bit faster on the uptake. If you start talking about doing your research on Edmunds (or KBB or wherever) and they figure out that you are an educated consumer, that can help a lot too.

If the salesperson has been a round for a while, they'll figure out that the people who have done their research (like you) are easier to deal with. There's less time spent negotiating to the bottom line and they can move on to the next buyer. Sometimes they really can't do the lower number but this dealer obviously could.

The other funny thing is that sometimes you'll see a loyalty bonus, and right next to it will be a conquest bonus.

Bottom line, we all want a fair deal and we don't want to pay more than the next guy.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Never got to see the CX-5 last year on my search for a cuv...there's a row of auto dealers across the street from our development and Mazda is almost at the far end. Started with VW and the Tiguan but the SE was a bit more than I wanted to spend last year and since we'd never done a German vehicle yet, passed. Next in line was the Mitsubishi dealer and we know how that went, nice vehicle but stupid general manager who let me walk for a pretty stupid reason. Hyundai was next up and once I saw the SE model, it had all the things I wanted on it and I just caved I guess. Should've just gone to Mazda next and eventually Toyota just to have seen all the competition but that wasn't the case. Did also like the Buick Encore but thought it was a bit overpriced for what one got, the new Chevy Trax is a much better bargain and a bit better looking on the exterior but that's just personal preference. And as we found out a year later, a cuv just wasn't the vehicle I was in love with and I cut to the chase and traded it on another vehicle, a smaller one.
    Cuv's are great vehicles it's just that I found out that I should've gone for the smallest one possible. Down here in South Florida, I seem to see more Tucson's/Sportage's than CX-5's for some reason with many many Rav4's and Tiguan's to a lessor degree. think once the Trax is finally out there in force, those numbers will rise dramatically as it's really the perfect size, under 170 inches.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I had a fun '14 CX-5 test drive about 9 months ago, Sandy. Nice rigs, and peppy too.
  • Options
    Pulled the trigger on a Meteor Gray 2015 CX-5 AWD Grand Touring, no tech package. Suburban Boston. Here's the rundown:

Negotiated price: $27,662
    Docs Fee: $495
    RMV: $135
    Tax: $1,697

= OTD Price $29,989

Had to agree to Mazda financing in order to get the negotiated price. That Docs Fee is quite a gouge here in MA, but it's all part of the game. Buying process was smooth... all handled via e-mail and a ~2 hr visit to a nearby dealer with the lowest quote. Didn't get what I wanted on my trade-in by about $500, but that's a separate story. Interested in any feedback on this deal.
  • Options
    Some talking head on the radio the other day said that the profit margin on new cars at a dealer is 1% (MarketWatch.com says it's 2.2%). So, that's the doc fee. :)

The real money is in used cars and service.

Congrats! Sounds like you did just fine.
  • Options
    unruheunruhe Member Posts: 1
    Just bought Blue Reflex AWD Grand Touring at dealer in suburban Boston, with cargo cover, wheel locks, all weather floor mats, and a rear bumper guard I really didn't want but which the dealer claimed was installed at the factory and couldn't be removed.

349 doc fee
    110 RMV
    1,594 MA sales tax
    ---------
    29,305 total before trade-in

price includes additional 500 incentive Mazda is offering for trading in an old Honda CRV

price required I take Mazda conventional financing at 2.99% (it would have been $1500 more with 0% finacing)

I probably didn't get the greatest price for our trade-in...but I at least got what autonation.com was going to give me so I am ok with that.

I hope I did ok.
  • Options
    Sounds like you were an educated shopper and knew the score. Extra points for getting another opinion on your trade. Good for you. Congrats on the new blue!
  • Options
    johnnywujohnnywu Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the board. It was really helpful during my negotiations yesterday.
    Just bought a 2015 CX-5 Grant Touring AWD (No Tech) Grey south of Baltimore

Sale Price $27,478 (Includes $500 factory incentive)
    Destination $820
    Doc fee $300
    TTL $2,011.80
    Options $820 (remote start, cargo tray, wheel locks, cargo cover)
    Before Trade Price $31,429

Couple of notes. I declined the $1,500 offer and took the 0.9% financing for 60 months. Also, I got almost $800 above KBB for my trade. (Way more than I expected) I'm not sure if they got me with the destination fee, but I feel pretty good about the deal.
  • Options
    @johnnywu, destination should be $880 everywhere (except in AK) so either there's a typo or you got a better deal on destination than everyone else. :)

Congrats!
  • Options
    johnnywu... funny. Your $800 above KBB on your trade-in happens to coincide with your $800 destination fee, which was baked into the OTD price of most of the other deals listed.

Unruhe did pretty well too, but the more deals I read, the more obvious it becomes that it's a zero-sum game. Pay an extra $100 in Docs Fee, get an extra $100 on your trade-in... etc.
  • Options
    cto82cto82 Member Posts: 4
    32145 in Philadelphia pa. Otd. 

Grand touring with tech package.

Should I bite or not???
  • Options
    What's the selling price? And what are the dealer/doc fees?
  • Options
    29835 is the "Internet selling price." I was told that that includes the destination fee. he would not itemize anything else in that figure. 

There is then  133 doc fee and 138 license. 

Comes to 31953.35 (this includes 500 loyalty) at .9% apr for 63 mos. 

• Options
    Hm, invoice for the AWD Grand Touring (with destination and Tech) is $30,535 for a Philly zip code. True Market Value is almost the same as invoice - $30,542.

Seems like the dealer is a bit high. Try getting a Price Promise certificate and compare numbers with it. Or get some more numbers with the Dealer Quotes button at my TMV link.

The doc fees aren't too bad; certainly seen lots worse.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    does true market value account for sales tax? The 31953 is the out the door value. does that change your impression?
  • Options
    How about 31504.55 out the door.

Would not provide itemized destination, doc fee but pre sales tax and tags is 28,900 for tech package awd  grand touring. 

Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    cto82 said:

does true market value account for sales tax? The 31953 is the out the door value. does that change your impression?

Sorry, I got sidetracked earlier and didn't finish editing my post like I wanted to.

True Market Value reflects the average "selling" price of a car in a particular area. We don't keep track of all the different state taxes or registration fees.

So far so good, and taking another look, you're right in the ballpark (the dealer is not really too high).

You said your price included a $500 loyalty incentive. I see another one for $750. Best check our incentives page - maybe I plugged in the zip code wrong or maybe you don't qualify for the $750 one. Your selling price of $29,835 is within $100 or so or TMV minus the incentive.
  • Options
    A tv reporter is hoping to interview a family that is currently shopping for a new car in the NY, Boston or DC metro area, and has not yet been approved for a car loan.

Please email PR@edmunds.com before Friday, February 6, 2015 to share your story.
  • Options
    luckyboyluckyboy Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2015
    Time to strike while the iron is hot. Here in Southern California 2016s are starting to show up on lots. I was looking for an AWD Sport which is hard to find around here since not many AWDs are in SoCal, especially in the base model. Of the 20+ dealers I looked over only 6 had a 2015 AWD Sport in stock, only two of them, Browning Mazda in Cerritos and Ramona Mazda in Ontario had more than one in stock. A couple places still showed 2014s but those had the smaller 2L engine and probably from stingy dealers not willing to negociate. Checking TMV in the area it was most only about $1700-2000 off MSRP depending on area/options. Truecar was showing better discounts with about $2000-2700 off and in some parts of the SF bay area just over $3400 off. I tried to deal with Browning first but after wasting over an hour at the dealer I was told their stock of AWD sports couldn't be sold due to an unresolved recall involving the torque converter? I was able to get a straight forward quote from Ramona on an AWD sport CX-5 with roofrack and wheel locks (MSRP $25,555) for $3533 off MSRP, or $22,022 and they could deliver their stock. I do not qualify for any of the current consumer rebates. Here in CA doc fees are cap'd at $80, with license/registration and taxes in put me at about 24 and a half out the door. I paid a big down and financed about $8K at 2.25% interests for 48 months with Mazda. Had them match my bank so they probably ate some of the extra $500 kickback the dealer gets for factory financing by bringing down the standard 3.9 rate.
  • Options
    calbear217calbear217 Member Posts: 7
    Not sure if I got an amazing deal but wanted to put it out there to see if I did well for my first car purchase. GF was a previous mazda owner so she qualified for the mazda loyalty bonus. We got a CX-5 Grand Touring with Tech. With loyalty bonus and only added cargo cover, we paid $25,800-ish. After tax, license, etc, it ended up being 28400-ish. We financed for 36 months at 2.9% with 0 down. We may pay off the balance in 6 months or so so the interest over those first months would be like 200 bucks. We wanted to do cash OTD but the incentive wasn't really there. Thoughts?
  • Options
    gandroidgandroid Member Posts: 11

Not sure if I got an amazing deal but wanted to put it out there to see if I did well for my first car purchase. GF was a previous mazda owner so she qualified for the mazda loyalty bonus. We got a CX-5 Grand Touring with Tech. With loyalty bonus and only added cargo cover, we paid $25,800-ish. After tax, license, etc, it ended up being 28400-ish. We financed for 36 months at 2.9% with 0 down. We may pay off the balance in 6 months or so so the interest over those first months would be like 200 bucks. We wanted to do cash OTD but the incentive wasn't really there. Thoughts?

Sounds like good deal. FWD or AWD?. and which dealer?
  • Options
    Sorry FWD. Tuttle Click in Irvine, CA
  • Options
    gandroidgandroid Member Posts: 11
    MSRP for FWD - GT with tech is 32k...so the out door price of 28400 is a great price.
  • Options
    The MSRP sticker price on it was 30225. So it was below sticker OTD including darn 8% CA tax =) But again, seems like a good deal and we got the color, etc that we wanted.
  • Options
    marke8946marke8946 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2015 CX5 AWD Grand Touring, with the Tech Package, in Minnesota for $28,550. The MSRP was $31,530. $3,000 under MSRP and $2,100 under invoice. I think I did ok.
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    haccenthaccent Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in getting the new 2016 CX-5 grandtouring with tech package, and I-active package AWD. Don't really know what to pay as there is not a lot of data out there. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    haccent said:

I am interested in getting the new 2016 CX-5 grandtouring with tech package, and I-active package AWD. Don't really know what to pay as there is not a lot of data out there. Any recommendations?

Use the "make / model / year" pull downs at the top of the page to help you with pricing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4