Options

AC takes too much time to heat up

basha_manickbasha_manick Member Posts: 12
edited January 2015 in Volkswagen
hi, i have a 2008 VW Jetta 2.5s. In winter i have noticed that my car takes too much time to heat up when the AC is turned ON. Generally, if i drive for 5 minutes and the temperature of the engine comes to the center ( in the temperature dial on the dash board), the hot air starts coming out. Is this normal. I haven't noticed this in other cars. Do i need to check anything?I do have the coolant liquid full
Thanks

Answers

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

In winter i have noticed that my car takes too much time to heat up when the AC is turned ON.

I am having a little difficulty understanding what your question is about. To start with why would you be turning on AC in the winter, I usually go with just heat?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,995
    ray80 said:

In winter i have noticed that my car takes too much time to heat up when the AC is turned ON.

I am having a little difficulty understanding what your question is about. To start with why would you be turning on AC in the winter, I usually go with just heat?

A/C compressor comes on with the defroster... To remove moisture from the windshield..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

ray80 said:

A/C compressor comes on with the defroster... To remove moisture from the windshield..
    Yep, That I know, but the defroster is usually a different button then AC is it not? :)

• Options
    @ray80 - Ray, what i meant is turn the heater on. ( This would be the AC button). Sorry for the confusion.!
    to to summarize, in winter when i turn on the heater in the car , i can feel the hot air only after some time..i.e when the car engine temperature goes up in like 5-10 minutes.
    thanks
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,995
    ray80 said:

kyfdx said:

ray80 said:

Yep, That I know, but the defroster is usually a different button then AC is it not? :)

Not specific to this member's VW, but in a lot of Euro models, when you push the defrost button, the A/C button lights up, just as if you'd pushed it..

I know that's behind the scenes in a lot of domestic models... and, not what the OP meant, but there... I said it... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

in winter when i turn on the heater in the car , i can feel the hot air only after some time..i.e when the car engine temperature goes up in like 5-10 minutes.
    thanks

5 ~~~> 10 minutes may not be to bad. Is this your first year with this vehicle? If not any change in driving from prior (more city to start , then highway, or other changes?)? Does the heat stay consistent when it does warm up (not hot then cold ) ?

• Options
    No, this is my 3rd year with the vehicle. It has been like this, just that i realized this is not the case in other cars ( like my friends infiniti).
    5-10 is not bad, but just curious whether it should take a lesser time.
    The heat does stay consistent though once is it is warmed up. The driving has been in city limits.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like it is normal for that vehicle (and many others). Mine have always waited until coolant got warmed enough for t-stat to open, then heat would come on for real. My newest vehicle though (14') has heat just a few minutes after starting and driving, how ever the heat gauge may not get to normal warmed up position for quite a few miles (and time).
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Some engines are just a bit more cold-blooded than others, and take a bit longer to warm up to thermostat opening temperatures. As long as your coolant is full-up, I don't see any problem here.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My last van was slow to warm up (10 minutes or so) until I replaced the thermostat. Don't know if a "hotter" thermostat would be an option here.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That would delay the heat even more. The thermostat rating is only the baseline, or "door opening" for the coolant--it doesn't determine the temperature the coolant runs at once it is circulating.
  • Options
    I just went through Jetta forums and it seems like this is the case in Jettas!
    http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/showthread.php?21899-jetta-2.0-wont-heat-up-if-temp-below-30*