Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Good Manual Sedans Similar to Charger

smart_ptrsmart_ptr Member Posts: 3
edited April 2015 in General
Hello everyone! I am am soon to be graduating college (yay), and I am looking to buy myself a car perhaps by the end of 2015 or beginning of 2016. I am employed at a company and will be making a pretty good salary once I become full-time after graduation.

I am really looking for a manual transmission car. My family has been buying auto transmission all of my life, and I really want to break away from that and enjoy the control of a manual. I know that paddle shifters are becoming more popular, but they don't excite me like a stick shift does.

Anyway, I fell in love with the newer Dodge Charger models, but they do not offer manual. I am now showing a lot of interest in the Honda Civic Si Sedan. It is a sedan with a sport trim, manual transmission, and a lower price, but I still love the power of the Dodge Charger (especially the R/T). Are there any "good" sub $30,000 sedans with power similar to the Charger that are roomy and have a manual transmission?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    smart_ptr said:

Hello everyone! I am am soon to be graduating college (yay), and I am looking to buy myself a car perhaps by the end of 2015 or beginning of 2016. I am employed at a company and will be making a pretty good salary once I become full-time after graduation.

I am really looking for a manual transmission car. My family has been buying auto transmission all of my life, and I really want to break away from that and enjoy the control of a manual. I know that paddle shifters are becoming more popular, but they don't excite me like a stick shift does.

Anyway, I fell in love with the newer Dodge Charger models, but they do not offer manual. I am now showing a lot of interest in the Honda Civic Si Sedan. It is a sedan with a sport trim, manual transmission, and a lower price, but I still love the power of the Dodge Charger (especially the R/T). Are there any "good" sub $30,000 sedans with power similar to the Charger that are roomy and have a manual transmission?

Thanks!

If you are looking at new cars, I can't think of any. You might be able to find a used BMW at that price point with a row-your-own gearbox.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    Michaell said:

smart_ptr said:

Thanks!

If you are looking at new cars, I can't think of any. You might be able to find a used BMW at that price point with a row-your-own gearbox.
    I'm thinking a BMW 335i. A 535i/550i is also a possibility, but very few were sold with a manual gearbox.
    If you don't mind a coupe go with the Challenger- same platform as the Charger and V8 manuals are relatively easy to find.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    A VW GTI is pretty quick, and there's also the Subaru WRX- not too luxurious, but relatively fast.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

A VW GTI is pretty quick, and there's also the Subaru WRX- not too luxurious, but relatively fast.

If you need a sedan, you can get a VW CC with a stick, as well.. You don't get the oomph of a Charger, but it's nice and sporty.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    wow. Civic and Charger are about as far apart on the sedan spectrum as you can get. Sounds like you have ALOT of narrowing down to do!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    skyisthelimitskyisthelimit Member Posts: 46
    It is more practical to own a Honda Civic. Maintenance is cheaper compared to Dodge Charger.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Not by much. Per Edmunds True Cost to Own, the Charger 6-cyl will cost $3750 over 5 years in maintenance vs the Civic Si's $3140. Interestingly, fuel will cost $460 more in the Civic during that time. So virtually a wash. The Charger will depreciate far more, but you may get a much better deal up front that could offset that partially. Of course, the Charger is a far more expensive car to begin with, and that's pretty reasonable given it is 2 size classes above the Civic.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Not by much. Per Edmunds True Cost to Own, the Charger 6-cyl will cost $3750 over 5 years in maintenance vs the Civic Si's $3140. Interestingly, fuel will cost $460 more in the Civic during that time. So virtually a wash. The Charger will depreciate far more, but you may get a much better deal up front that could offset that partially. Of course, the Charger is a far more expensive car to begin with, and that's pretty reasonable given it is 2 size classes above the Civic.

Who cares?
    Everyone should be practical. ;)B)