Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Opting to pay an entire lease upfront

jhcsjhcs Member Posts: 26
edited April 2015 in Hyundai
I am considering negotiating a lease and then paying for it upfront. I assume my focus should be on the Lease price of the car and I need to ensure that all incentives are obtained.
Am I missing anything?
Residual value is static correct?
Are there times where one can negotiate a better price on the car than Dealer Invoice, Less 3% of MSRP, Less Plan A Hyundai Circle Cash, Less Current Consumer Rebate (if any), Plus Freight, Plus Advertising Fee?

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    jhcs said:

I am considering negotiating a lease and then paying for it upfront. I assume my focus should be on the Lease price of the car and I need to ensure that all incentives are obtained.
    Am I missing anything?
    Residual value is static correct?
    Are there times where one can negotiate a better price on the car than Dealer Invoice, Less 3% of MSRP, Less Plan A Hyundai Circle Cash, Less Current Consumer Rebate (if any), Plus Freight, Plus Advertising Fee?

Residual value is fixed by the bank and cannot be altered by the dealer.

I don't track selling prices .. use the tools at the top of the page (make / model / year) to get your target price. Use the "Car Research" tab to link to current incentives.

Remember that not all incentives can be combined, and that some incentives are for purchase only, not a lease.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I hope that for the one-pay lease option you are getting a substantial reduction in interest rate?
  • Options
    ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Of course you can often negotiate a lower price than dealer invoice.

You can never really find the true dealer cost for any vehicle, there are too many hidden dealer incentives. However, a good method to develop an estimate to use as a starting price for negotiation is to take invoice, less hold back, less any incentives both to the customer and too the dealer. This information is available on Edmunds and other sites.

Finally, compare your computed price to the various pricing sites such as Edmunds TMV and prices paid forums as well as True Car. If you find those prices are lower than your estimate that likely means there are some hidden dealer incentives. You may need to adjust your estimate accordingly. You need to recognize both TMV and True Car are essentially average prices. Your goal should be to be below average.

Once you have your estimate you can arrive at a starting price at which to negotiate. Remember, a lease is no different than buying a vehicle. You negotiate each. One point, some manufacturing incentives may not apply to a lease. When negotiating, move up from your number not down from the dealer's number.

A final caveat, most experts recommend against prepaying a lease as you do not own the vehicle and there is some risk of losing some of the payment should the vehicle be totaled.