Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Used BMW or Audi?

refund97refund97 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in Audi
I have been looking at 2012 used BMW 328i vs 2012 Audi A4. The Audis are several thousand cheaper. Is the BMW better or overpriced?

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,147
    refund97 said:

I have been looking at 2012 used BMW 328i vs 2012 Audi A4. The Audis are several thousand cheaper. Is the BMW better or overpriced?

The Audi has a 4-cylinder engine, while the BMW has a straight 6.

I'll see if I can get some BMW and Audi experts to chime in ....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,592
    edited April 2015
    abacomike said:

Michaell said:

refund97 said:

The Audi has a 4-cylinder engine, while the BMW has a straight 6.

I'll see if I can get some BMW and Audi experts to chime in ....

There is no comparison between an inline 6 (BMW) and a 4.  The 3 series handles firmer and better.  The Audi is more civilized.  If you want a luxury "feeling" car, the A4 is the car for you.  If you want a sport sedan, the BMW would be my choice.

I've owned both BMW's and Audi's, and the BMW is a far better vehicle for a true sport feel - not as tame as an Audi A4

Except that I'm pretty sure a 2012 328i is a 4-cylinder turbo, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    zandorzandor Member Posts: 67
    2011 was the last year for the NA I6 in a 3-series. The 2012+ 328i is a turbo 4.

There isn't usually a "which is better" when you are talking about cars. Maybe the BMW is worth it, maybe it isn't. It depends on what you like. If you were looking for a transportation appliance like a Toyota Prius it would be easier since the differences between cars are more objective, but once you start looking at luxury cars loving it becomes more important. If you don't love it why would you spend all that money? If you hate driving you might as well just get a Toyota Camry. They're comfortable, not too expensive, and don't break much. So... what do you want in a car?