Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz GL450 Reliable?

13»

Comments

• Options
    jackscottjackscott Member Posts: 8
    Anyone know how to get out of a lease? I have a 14 GL450 that I purchased in August 2014. Having issues with the engine already. I left lexus to try out MB but not sure if that was a wise choice.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    jackscott said:

Anyone know how to get out of a lease? I have a 14 GL450 that I purchased in August 2014. Having issues with the engine already. I left lexus to try out MB but not sure if that was a wise choice.

Trying to get out of a lease early usually involves a massive hit to your finances. You will be much better off to just let them fix it and give you a loaner when it's in for service.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mbpoorqualitymbpoorquality Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 GL450 used with 67000 miles. Big mistake. Bad passenger side cylinder head. Now I am out $5000. I should have read more first. My suburban with 100,000 miles runs better. All Mercedes corporate did was waste a week of my time. Rehearsed excuses about how it isnt their fault. Vehicle was served at Mercedes every 10,000 miles, on time. All they can do, they said, is give me a discount on a new Mercedes. They must think I am stupid. This one will get sold and I will go back to Lexus. I have had three Lexus and never a mechanical failure. My wife and daughter both need vehicles. No Mercedes for them, either.
  • Options
    nylrnylr Member Posts: 1
    I own 2013 MB GL 450 which I bought new. It has had numerous "electrical problems" ever since we bought it. It has been at the dealership for past 4 weeks this time and still no diagnosis and no time frame by which the problem will be resolved. MB corporate was not helpful last year when I had similar problems. My question: is there or was there ever a class action law suit filed against MB ?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I never understand the class action law suit questions. Why wait two years to get a coupon off a new car? If you think the manufacturer or dealer is giving you the runaround, why not go find an attorney (or consumer protection agency) and make an appointment? Lots of initial consultations are free. You may not qualify for a lemon law claim, but you may have some sort or warranty claim. If nothing else, sometimes an "official" letter can push a company to do the right thing and fix your car.
  • Options
    bad_gl450bad_gl450 Member Posts: 1
    Got in an accident with my 2016 GL450 last night. GMC pickup truck decided to make a left turn from there right lane. Cut in front of me and then stopped because in couldn't cross oncoming traffic. I slammed on the brakes and by then, he's at an almost 90 degree angle to me. Not even fast enough to set off the air bag and I hit his rear tire well. Driver crosses the road and stops, he's got a small dent above the wheel well. I figured how bad can I be. Well, I get out off the car and the WHOLE front end is laying in the road. My right front corner hit his car and the entire front is off, the only thing still attached is my hood and the two front fenders. All the plastic crap just fell off. No damage to engine or radiator. Can'y believe how this car fell apart. Couldn't have been going fast because the air bag did not deploy. Fixing it and going to trade it in for my favorite, another Tahoe. Take a look at the attached photo
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    Pretty sure it's designed to do that in an accident. I know all that plastic crap will be expensive, but at least it's not made out of metal, and ended up crumpling your hood and fenders, or even bending your subframe.

Glad you aren't hurt.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mikec_55mikec_55 Member Posts: 3
    st99 said:

My friend's 2008 GL450, 27K miles, caught on fire last Friday 09/27/09. It happend exactly as you described....(The fire started under the passenger seat and fully engulfed the car in less than 5 minutes. First, a funny smell, then some smoke, and then the fire) and it bursted into flames before the fire brigade arrived. Luckily, the car was on the driveway outside the garage only 8 feet away from the house. Amazingly, the house did not get on fire and only incurred minimum damages. Mercedes should recall 2007 and 2008 GL450 models.

My 2012 burned up 2 days ago, under passenger seat
  • Options
    ermsam said:

Today is a glorious day for I have finally sold my wretched GL-450 and now I am forever free of its grip of terror! After nearly being burnt alive when the drivers seat caught fire while driving down the road, having to replace the transmission twice, having to replace the tail gait, and having to deal with things turning on and off by themselves I am finally free! Free at last free at last thank God Oh! Mighty, I am free. Bothers and Sisters break those LEMON :lemon: scented chains and run to CARMAX! Yes, I'm a bit over the top, but you've idea! WELL, yeah you do! So you should understand why I'm sooo dramatic and over-the-top!

My 2012 burnt up Sat night this month Dec 2023
  • Options
    mikec_55 said:

st99 said:

My friend's 2008 GL450, 27K miles, caught on fire last Friday 09/27/09. It happend exactly as you described....(The fire started under the passenger seat and fully engulfed the car in less than 5 minutes. First, a funny smell, then some smoke, and then the fire) and it bursted into flames before the fire brigade arrived. Luckily, the car was on the driveway outside the garage only 8 feet away from the house. Amazingly, the house did not get on fire and only incurred minimum damages. Mercedes should recall 2007 and 2008 GL450 models.

My 2012 burned up 2 days ago, under passenger seat
    Just happened to me ,. Will Mercedes stand behind this?