Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How's $18.7k for M3 Sport Hatch auto?

linterlinter Member Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Mazda
I am looking at a Mazda3 Sport, automatic, hatchback 2015. Here's what the dealer sent me:

$20,790.00 MSRP
$ 1,000.00 (Mazda Customer Cash)
-$1,009.00 (Dealer Mazda Discount)
$18,781.00 Your Sale Price

TrueCar estimate for the car is 19,216. But since I hear that figure is inflated, I'm trying to figure out how to dicker with the dealer for a better price than what he emailed me. $18,340 is the lowest price paid for an M3 as reflected on TrueCar, which is about $340 less than what i've been quoted. And I still don't know if that's the price I should shoot for. Or should I go lower.
Thoughts anyone?

Here's the rest of the pricing:
$ 1,328.60 Sales Tax
$ 199.00 Doc Fee
$ 199.00 Protection Plus
$ 120.00 Reg Fee (we will refund difference if it costs less to register)
$ 24.00 Temporary Plate (if needed)
$ 20.00 Title Prep Fee
$20,671.60 Your Bottom Line

I think the Protection Plus fee is for etching. And, of course, there's the doc fee. I hate to pay for these things. Can I negotiate them down?

If they won't negotiate on those things, I thought I'd try to get em to sell me a few extras at their dealer cost, but I can't find dealer cost for things like all-weather floor mats on the 'net. Can anyone help w that?

Thanks!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,195
    linter said:

I am looking at a Mazda3 Sport, automatic, hatchback 2015. Here's what the dealer sent me:

$20,790.00 MSRP
    $ 1,000.00 (Mazda Customer Cash)
    -$1,009.00 (Dealer Mazda Discount)
    $18,781.00 Your Sale Price

TrueCar estimate for the car is 19,216. But since I hear that figure is inflated, I'm trying to figure out how to dicker with the dealer for a better price than what he emailed me. $18,340 is the lowest price paid for an M3 as reflected on TrueCar, which is about $340 less than what i've been quoted. And I still don't know if that's the price I should shoot for. Or should I go lower.
    Thoughts anyone?

Here's the rest of the pricing:
    $ 1,328.60 Sales Tax
    $ 199.00 Doc Fee
    $ 199.00 Protection Plus
    $ 120.00 Reg Fee (we will refund difference if it costs less to register)
    $ 24.00 Temporary Plate (if needed)
    $ 20.00 Title Prep Fee
    $20,671.60 Your Bottom Line

I think the Protection Plus fee is for etching. And, of course, there's the doc fee. I hate to pay for these things. Can I negotiate them down?

If they won't negotiate on those things, I thought I'd try to get em to sell me a few extras at their dealer cost, but I can't find dealer cost for things like all-weather floor mats on the 'net. Can anyone help w that?

Thanks!

It's really hard to negotiate on the crap fees that dealers add. Best to just keep asking for a lower price on the car, to make up for it.

We really don't follow TrueCar. Have you checked Edmunds TMV or Price Promise?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• linterlinter Member Posts: 2
    I can't figure out TMV but PP shows one dealer with a similar car for $17,315. Guess I could see if the first dealer can beat it. Thanks for the tip!

btw / do you know where i can find dealer cost for stuff like mats?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,195
    linter said:

I can't figure out TMV but PP shows one dealer with a similar car for $17,315. Guess I could see if the first dealer can beat it. Thanks for the tip!

btw / do you know where i can find dealer cost for stuff like mats?

Nope.. no idea on dealer cost for accessories. Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• saratogastevesaratogasteve Member Posts: 186
    it's not any harder to negotiate an etching fee than any other item on the car. tell the dealer you want the car without the etching - there's very little value there when they want $200 for it. reminds me of when they used to put pin striping on cars and want $200. Even doc fees can be shot down. Call another dealer and tell them you'll buy from them if they cut out the $400 of added fees.