Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Would this 1954 Chevy be worth restoring? Is it even possible?

pluckieduckiepluckieduckie Member Posts: 3
edited October 2015 in Chevrolet

I'm new to the restoration game. We bought my husband a 67 mustang and i have car envy and wanted my dream car to restore together. Im in love. She has all the right curves in all the right places, but i need to know just by looking at whats visable here if this is even feasible. Thoughts from the veterans?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    The mustang is not my style. Too "new". I like my ladies curvy. I really want a mid to early 50s truck. What should i be looking for in a realistic restore and what would be an acceptable price range. Ive seen everything from 850.00 like this one to 5000.00 as restore project car. I have a second choice but i dont know a  ton about this style. 
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    With a lot of early 50s passenger cars, smart money is getting one with good cosmetics and no huge needs, as they aren't really increasing in value . Buy the nicest you can afford, unless you want a labor of love, it will be cheaper in the long run - then you can just restore it little by little, and enjoy it in the meantime.

Trucks have fared better in the market, but there's a limit too. Finding a vehicle that already looks OK and is roadworthy will probably make life easier.
  • Options
    I'm starting up front with a small amount and adding over a long period of time. I have a 5 year plan....
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Without knowing your skills, experience, and capabilities (tools, garage space, etc.) it's hard to make a recommendation.
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,113
    If you can do some or (better) much of the mechanical work and metal fabrication (e.g., floors if needed) you'll be miles ahead of the game. If you can't--like I couldn't when I had a Studebaker Lark restored over 20 years ago--it's better to find one that's in good shape up-front. My car was rusty but had two very unusual factory features or I'd have looked for another one. That era Chevy still seems plentiful to me and I live in rusty NE Ohio.

Good luck, no matter what you decide. The search is half the fun!
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS