Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What will happen if you put 1 qt of transmission fluid in oil dip stick?

johnny141johnny141 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2015 in Toyota
what will happen if you put 1 qt of transmission fluid in oil dip stick

Best Answer

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    I'll guess in the dipstick tube.. Would be easy with a funnel

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited October 2015
    When I was quite young and I worked in a gas station, we had one customer who would ask us to put four quarts of motor oil and one quart of ATF in his 1965 Buick whenever we changed his oil. He claimed the ATF was about like 20W but with very high detergent. He said he would never have a lifter problem or get sludge in his engine.

Our head mechanic concured with him. I would see that same guy driving that Buick around town many years later.
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Is a modern engine about the same as one in a '65 Buick and is ATF about the same as extra detergent 20 weight oil - no and no. The oil is contaminated (not good) and would be changed if it were my vehicle.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I would change the oil too but I doubt seriously doubt any damage would occur.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd change it right away. Putting a bit of ATF wouldn't hurt anything but a ratio of 1:4 with regular motor oil---I dunno, I don't like the idea. I mean, it's better than NO oil, but it really doesn't have the lubricating properties needed in a modern engine.