Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Subaru Forester Prices Paid

MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121
edited August 2015 in Subaru
Share your prices paid stories for the 2016 Subaru Forester here!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Comments

• az15az15 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Guys,

New to the site.

I am in the process hoping to buy a 2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium + EyeSight.

Here is what the local dealer (Virginia) price:
    MSRP: $29,051.00
    Eprice: $26,246.00
    Savings: $2,805.00
    Processing + Tax + DMV Fees
    Total OTD: $27,747.19

What are your thoughts on this price?

Thanks,
    AZ
  • ursusursus Member Posts: 128
    az15 - how did you get $29K MSRP on Premium? I see it $27,940 w/eyesight + all weather.
    Ursus, that MSRP was quoted by the dealership thru the internet inquiry. But what do you think of the sale price?
    edited August 2015
    Can't tell you anything about the price for 2 reasons: one is that I think they quoted you the wrong MSRP for Premium - it can't be $29K. Get exact model with all options/packages from them; two - is that I'm on the market myself and have no idea what would be a good price now :) I'll wait until the end of year and hope to get $1.5K under invoice on 2.5i Touring. My dealer knows what I want and if I get an offer I can't refuse, then I can do it earlier.
    It includes these:

• Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors with Approach Lighting
    • Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror with Compass
    • Luggage Compartment Cover
    • Seat Back Protector
    • Splash Guards
    • Rear Bumper Cover 
    • All Weather Floor Mats
    • Seat Back Cargo Net
    And by the way it's a CVT.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2015
    When I run the numbers for a random zip code (NJ), I get a TMV price of $26,478. So that's close to your eprice, assuming I'm clicking the same buttons as you on the build sheet (actually I missed some options).

TMV is an average, so your eprice is "average" too. You may be able to beat it, especially toward the end of the month.

Ah, just noticed you are in Virginia. My sister drives an '05 Forester over by Winchester. She wants a new car but the Subie won't die. :)

It seems like their prices have cooled the last couple of years, but I'd check with Fitzmall and compare pricing notes with what they offer.
    az15 - yeah, I see it around $29+K with eyesight w/Navi and some popular/rugged package.
    Thanks, Stever.

This quote is from Fitzmall though same model minus eyesight. And yes tax would be lower for VA.

I am about an hour from Winchester. Have a buddy who lives in Front Royal.
    MSRP: $27,907.00
    Delivered Vehicle Price: $25,542.00
    MD Tax: $1,550.46
    Tag & Title: $291.50
    MD Processing Fee: $299.00
    OTD Price: $27,682.96
    az15 said:

Thanks, Stever.

This quote is from Fitzmall though same model minus eyesight. And yes tax would be lower for VA.

I am about an hour from Winchester. Have a buddy who lives in Front Royal.

I buy all my Foresters from Stohlman. But now they have ridiculous $599 processing fee :@
    edited August 2015
    I toyed with the idea of shopping Fitz a few years back since I can get a free flight to my sister's and then I'd drive to TN to visit family and finish out the road trip going home. As I followed their prices for several years, it seemed like they were going up in price, but I wasn't following them that closely to really swear to it, and I was pricing Toyotas mostly.

They seem to have a good reputation still - my gut tells me your pricing is doing fine and about the only thing left if you want to grind is to shop your quote around. Kind of a tough market for buying Subarus right now anyway since they have trouble keeping up with demand.

Good larb joint in Winchester strip mall, miss the Romanian place a lot. ;)
    I'd agree with ursus on stohlmans processing fee.
    Thanks for all your inputs, ursus and stever. Let's see what happens next. I'll keep posted.
    I am staying firm on $26k OTD. Will see.

edited September 2015
    Hi stever - just got some quotes for Touring 2.5i (no eyesight).
    From "my" VA dealer:
    MSRP $32,407
    INVOICE $30,128.00
    YOUR SALE PRICE $29,378.00
    DESTINATION INCLUDED
    He knows I want $1.2-1.5K below invoice and says we are close, so I'm pretty confident I can get another $500 off.

Another one is from Fitzmall's manager. I emailed him the same target, and he replied he can get me any Forester I want for $1.2K below invoice without any haggling.

What do you think about quotes and my target of $1.2-1.5K under invoice? I was actually planning to wait til December to get better price and get more equity in my current Forester.
    You're kind of asking the wrong person; I'm notorious for waiting another month. So I've wound up not buying a new car for 16 years now. :'(

A new car in the waning days of summer would be sweet, maybe take it cruising up to Harper's Ferry and enjoy the colors next month and get good and familiar with it before any snow falls. And it may be hard to really beat the sales around the Labor Day come the end of December. Hard to go wrong with buying now the way you have the dealers lined up for your business.
    edited September 2015
    So - you think it's a good deal? Didn't know that Labor Day sales on next year models are better than at the end of year :o
    Not sure how "lined up" Fitzmall is since I never dealt or even talked with them, so maybe there is a game there :)
    edited September 2015
    Ah, the Labor Day sales may not be better than the year end ones. But they usually are pretty good. And a lot can happen in three months. Seems like you are getting good prices, especially considering that it's a Subaru we're talking about.
  • blackeaglesblackeagles Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

This is my first post here and I am on the market for a Subaru forester for the first time. I've recently got a few quotes from the dealers in Miami area for a 2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium w/ All-Weather Pkg + Eyesight. The best price I've got so far is 29,093 OTD and the breakdown is as follows (through e-mails so I have not negotiated any of the numbers below).

Selling price 25,757.00
    state tax 1,617.14
    county tax 50
    doc stamps 115
    tire tax 5
    license fee 450
    lien fee 2
    lemon law 2
    battery fee 1.5
    private tag fee 2
    dealer fee 989

I am not so sure about the fees (especially $989 dealer fee). What do you guys think about the overall price (Considering it doesn't come with navigation/homelink etc.)? Any part of this quote that I can haggle on?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Hello,

This is my first post here and I am on the market for a Subaru forester for the first time. I've recently got a few quotes from the dealers in Miami area for a 2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium w/ All-Weather Pkg + Eyesight. The best price I've got so far is 29,093 OTD and the breakdown is as follows (through e-mails so I have not negotiated any of the numbers below).

Selling price 25,757.00
    state tax 1,617.14
    county tax 50
    doc stamps 115
    tire tax 5
    license fee 450
    lien fee 2
    lemon law 2
    battery fee 1.5
    private tag fee 2
    dealer fee 989

I am not so sure about the fees (especially $989 dealer fee). What do you guys think about the overall price (Considering it doesn't come with navigation/homelink etc.)? Any part of this quote that I can haggle on?

Thanks in advance for your help!

What is the MSRP?

$989 dealer fee? Sheeeesh.. Just add that to whatever they say the selling price is, because that's all it is... money you are paying for the car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• blackeaglesblackeagles Member Posts: 2
    Hi Kyfdx. Thanks for your response. I definitely agree with you on your view about the dealer fee.

MSRP was $28,783 and I am in Miami. Do you think it is a good OTD price? I think I can haggle a bit on the dealer fee and see what "license" fee comprise of.

Thanks again.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Hi Kyfdx. Thanks for your response. I definitely agree with you on your view about the dealer fee.

MSRP was $28,783 and I am in Miami. Do you think it is a good OTD price? I think I can haggle a bit on the dealer fee and see what "license" fee comprise of.

Thanks again.

Adding the dealer fee in, it's $2000 off MSRP. Seems reasonable on a new Forester. Use the Make/Model/Year tabs at the top of the page to get Edmunds TMV.

I wouldn't bother trying to negotiate the dealer fee. Just express shock at paying $1000 for nothing, and tell them that you need a lower price to compensate for it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• songbird54songbird54 Member Posts: 41
    I purchased a 2016 forester premium on Saturday. White with the gray interior. :)

I used the edmunds price of 25,964 but it ended up on the invoice as $26,263. I did not take notice unfortunately.
    Packages: all weather, rear bumper protector, int/ext auto dimming mirror and approach lights.
    $1,099.91 tax
    $189.95 reg/title
    $329.00 doc fee
    $7.50 tire fee

My trade had around $3889 in equity.
    2.99%for 72 months but I will pay extra and look to refi after a year.

I think I definitely could have done better. I stopped focusing on the car price and let them talk payment. I let them turn me around. Some day I will get this car buying thing right.
    Good luck out there! Grind em more than I did.
    >Some day I will get this car buying thing right.

Buyers do it once every few years, or even less often. Car dealers do it every day. It's hard to grind and still "beat" 'em.

Relax and enjoy your new Forester. Great color too!
  • sahm2015sahm2015 Member Posts: 1
    09/30/15. I just bought the 2016 Forester 2.5i Premium with All-Weather pkg, plus eyesight. It came with Fog lights, splash guards, body side Molding, all weather floor mats, Wheel locks Alloy, license plate bracket and rear bumper cover. I did not want all the extra options, but when the car came it, those were on it, and I was not charged more. I paid $25,800 plus $400 dealer fee, tax, and registration in CT.
    Congrats!
  • spectrum1spectrum1 Member Posts: 2
    stever said:

When I run the numbers for a random zip code (NJ), I get a TMV price of $26,478. So that's close to your eprice, assuming I'm clicking the same buttons as you on the build sheet (actually I missed some options).

TMV is an average, so your eprice is "average" too. You may be able to beat it, especially toward the end of the month.

Ah, just noticed you are in Virginia. My sister drives an '05 Forester over by Winchester. She wants a new car but the Subie won't die. :)

It seems like their prices have cooled the last couple of years, but I'd check with Fitzmall and compare pricing notes with what they offer.

You have an '05 and commenting that it won't die? I should hope not, the car is still a baby at only 10 years old. My dad's 94 camry is still going strong and shows no signs of dying (other than the rust that I suspect will do it in)
    edited October 2015
    The '05 is my sister's and she typically kills cars much faster than normal people. ;)

She's doing good with the Subie - will be at 200k around year end and she's only got one significant ding in it.
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    I just had the worst experience with West Houston Subaru. They said they couldn't give me the
    sahm2015 said:

09/30/15. I just bought the 2016 Forester 2.5i Premium with All-Weather pkg, plus eyesight. It came with Fog lights, splash guards, body side Molding, all weather floor mats, Wheel locks Alloy, license plate bracket and rear bumper cover. I did not want all the extra options, but when the car came it, those were on it, and I was not charged more. I paid $25,800 plus $400 dealer fee, tax, and registration in CT.

What was the MSRP?
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
    edited October 2015
    ursus said:

What do you think about quotes and my target of $1.2-1.5K under invoice? I was actually planning to wait til December to get better price and get more equity in my current Forester.

Well, placed an order today for Venetian Red XT Touring with "Exterior auto-dimming mirrors with approach lighting; Auto-dimming mirror with compass and Homelink" and Rear Bumper Cover:

MSRP: $35,262
    Invoice: $32,819
    Sales Price: $31,319
    Additional: tax, dealer fee $599 and gov fees $65.75 - total will be close to $2,000.

Expected to get it in December, but system showed delivery for the last week in January.
    Nice! Anticipation is half the fun. :)
  • crv4evercrv4ever Member Posts: 3
    Can I get a a $1500 under invoice at Houston area?
    edited October 2015
    stever said:

Nice! Anticipation is half the fun. :)

Yeah, but also worry about potential issues with the current trade-in Forester which is not under warranty.
  • jiminyintxjiminyintx Member Posts: 49
    crv4ever said:

Can I get a a $1500 under invoice at Houston area?

I am just starting to look at the 2016 Forester. Today I emailed a dealer in West Houston and his quote was $1,500 under dealer invoice. MSRP: $27,360. Price quote: $23,991 + ttl. Is this not better than the Subaru VIP of 2% below dealer invoice? Mind you, it is an incoming vehicle.
    My daughter is at TAMU. I have been working on getting her a Forester 2.5 Prem with NAV and eyesight in for over 30 days and the prices were all over the park. Inventory was changing at a blink of an eye. I could only find two cars in the entire state of Texas last week with the equipment we wanted. We picked up the car last week from Gillman Subaru. I dealt with the GM and found him to be upfront and honest. My backup plan was to drive to Dallas and get the car from Brandon Tomes Subaru who also gave me a competitive price. Both were 1k under invoice. I could have probably done better if I was flexible on the equipment,

The staff at Gillman were are pleasure to deal with.

I would keep away from West Houston Subaru. They played games with me and refused to give me the money factor when I was thinking about leasing.

BMW 2019 540x Bluestone

I am just starting to look at the 2016 Forester. Today I emailed a dealer in West Houston and his quote was $1,500 under dealer invoice. MSRP: $27,360. Price quote: $23,991 + ttl. Is this not better than the Subaru VIP of 2% below dealer invoice? Mind you, it is an incoming vehicle.

That's a great price! Just know that it is only a top safety pick WITH eyesight.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings

BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    edited October 2015
    zoombie99 said:

...Just know that it is only a top safety pick WITH eyesight.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings

Nope. TSP+ w/eyesight, but it's still a TSP without.
    "To qualify for 2015 TOP SAFETY PICK+, a vehicle must meet the TOP SAFETY PICK criteria, plus earn an advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention."
    zoombie99 said:

I just had the worst experience with West Houston Subaru. They said they couldn't give me the

sahm2015 said:

What was the MSRP?
    zoombie99 said:

sahm2015 said:

What was the MSRP?
    I changed my mind about the Premium and reserved an incoming Limited at West Houston. Would have liked the eyesight option also, but did not see them on anything but the Touring trim. Too much $$$.

Trusting the dealership comes through, as no dealers here in San Antonio (including Gillman) would come down much from invoice.
    My deal:
    Limited 2.5i
    Port-Installed Accessories:
    (FZ3) (QGJ| KGB) MIRROR PACKAGE #2
    (FZ7) OGB 04Q QGM PGE BGA - PROTECTION PACKAGE #2
    $30,767 - MSRP
    $26,991 - Your Special EPrice Offer
    Drive Out - $28,991 (With Everything Included)

Will post after my Oct.28 pick up.

Zoombie99, hope your Aggie daughter is enjoying driving her new Forester. Gig'em from this Texas Tech Red Raider!

What was the MSRP?

The one from Gillman was about $29,200 I believe.

BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    Picked up my beautiful jasmine green 2016 Forester Limited in Houston yesterday. Well worth the drive from San Antonio! A bit more negotiating with the Internet sales manager even after our prenegotiated price netted me a few hundreds dollars more off the price. Now that is great customer service!

I will share my price paid numbers in a couple of ways, as we each like to see them in different forms:

MSRP: $30,767 (includes mirror pkg 2 and protection pkg 2)
    Dealer invoice: $28,531
    Price paid before all ttl and fees: $26,640.60
    Price was 7% below dealer invoice
    Price was 13.4% below MSRP
    Price was $1,890.40 below dealer invoice
    Out the door total price: $28,690

My advice for new car shopping:
    1. Do your homework before going into any dealer, especially check "prices paid" on forums, to give you negotiating power.
    2. Do not walk into a dealership and just end up with the next available floor salesman.
    3. Contact the Internet sales manager FIRST. They might cut you a deal on a vehicle before it arrives on the lot. Mine was an incoming Forester.
    4. If you live in an outlying or rural area, go to the nearest big city, high volume dealer. It may be well worth the drive. I only made 1 trip to Houston, to pick up my Forester. The deal was made via phone and Internet.
    5. Do not even start talking numbers until you know exactly what you want. I test drove the Forester at several dealers without even sitting and talking price. Don't feel pressured.
    6. If you make an offer and the dealer doesn't accept it, do not make a counter offer until they have countered back. If you don't arrive at an acceptable price, be nice, go home, and most likely in a day or two they will be calling you and wanting to negotiate further. Always keep the upper hand, stay friendly and don't ever be intimidated!
    7. Notice the date.......nearly the end of the month. Dealers want to meet their monthly quotas.

Happy shopping and negotiating!
    God bless!

Congrats and thanks for the tips!
  • shopsalot1shopsalot1 Member Posts: 2
    I live in NJ and looking to purchase from a NY dealership (a Subaru 2016 2.5i Touring) - way better pricing quoted there (using TruCar). Has anyone done this and how was the experience. Can I mention the dealer name here?
    edited October 2015
    Dealer names are fine. Most dealers are pretty savvy about selling to out of state buyers. Sometimes you can cut out a few hundred bucks by not using a buying service. But sometimes the deal is better that way, with less haggle, since the dealer gets a real buyer instead of a tire kicker.
    edited October 2015

Nice! Now I feel like a sucker with my $1.5K under invoice :D

ursus said:

Nice! Now I feel like a sucker with my $1.5K under invoice :D

No way, Ursus, you got a great deal! Be happy! I was thrilled with my $1,500 under invoice, and then extra few hundred off was just icing on the cake.
    I'm happy :) I got what I asked for and the guy needs to make money, too.
  • jquiltyjquilty Member Posts: 10
    Just negotiated this deal in central NJ:
    2016 LImited Dark Gray Metallic:
    Option code 23: Nav, Harman Kardon Stereo and EyeSight
    Popular pkg #2
    Body Side Molding
    Wheel Locks
    MSRP: $33,354 (including destination fee)
    Price agreed to: $30,500 all in except sales tax
    I've decided to lease it and I'm getting 36mos/10k for $309 including 9% PA leasing tax. Money factor is .00075 and residual is 63%.

I really didn't want Nav or the upgraded stereo, but it's the only way to get Eyesight in the Limited. This is for my teen daughter, so thought EyeSight is worth the extra $$.
    I think I might have been able to get this for $500 less if I was willing to wait or factory order. But I liked this dealer and they met my terms and I think still got a small profit.
    I can't stress enough the value of researching and pricing the car via Edmunds or Consumer Reports Service. And negotiate the price before any discussion of financing. I almost paid $2k more for this car at this dealer because I focused first on the monthly least cost. After we had an initial agreement I did some more pricing research online and went back to them and said they had to come down by $2k and lower their original money factor in order to move forward. They agreed almost immediately. Did all this via email. Will update once I have the car and everything goes through.