Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

WRX in desert climate

wms2016wms2016 Member Posts: 2
edited November 2015 in Subaru
I'd like to buy the 2016 WRX but I'm concerned about how this car would perform and maintain where I live/work - Saudi Arabia. Obviously it can get really hot here (up to even 50 Celsius) and I understand that this can impact turbo performance. Also, sandstorms happen every so often so lots of sand/dust would get onto the engine through that awesome hood scoop. Would that cause engine problems that cars without hood scoop won't experience?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well you are going to operate under what the manufacturer would call "severe conditions", and you would have to increase your maintenance of the filtration system and the frequency of oil changes. I don't know as it really matters WHERE the car gets its air from---whether under the car, through the grill or through the hood---the problem remains the same.

The hot desert air will decrease turbo efficiency because hot air is less dense (less oxygen). Also, your turbo's intercooler, which normally cools the turbo, won't work as well because it too is exposed to ambient heat from outside.

You might consider fitting a larger aftermarket intercooler, a larger air intake, and using high octane fuel. That, in conjunction with frequent air filter and engine oil maintenance, should mitigate the severe climate.
  • wms2016wms2016 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - much appreciated. Unfortunately I think I'll have to choose a non-turbo engine.