Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Liability Insurance for rental cars

sp_1994sp_1994 Member Posts: 7
edited December 2015 in General
I'll be using a rental car for about three months in Atlanta, GA and have already found a cheap Collision Damage Waiver policy from a company. However, I'm having trouble finding a liability insurance policy as most companies don't insure liability for rental cars. And the rental company charges $14 per day for over three months.

Does anyone know where I could buy such a liability insurance policy for my rental car? I wouldn't want to drive the car without liability insurance :)

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Are you currently insured with a car of your own? If yes, then check with your insurer to see what coverages extend onto the rental car. If you have no insurance, then I'm afraid you're pretty much stuck with the $14 per day.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    @sp_1994 is our "Used car for 3 months" friend, so there's no existing car insurance.

And it's a real problem in your situation, @sp_1994. Guess I'd call around to some local (Atlanta) agents and see if anyone can do a short term policy. But you may be stuck with the $14 a day.
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    edited December 2015
    I have a sneaky feeling that @sp_1994 is only 21 years old. At that age one is usually on the insurance policy of one's parents. In absence of that he could be an expat. Hence uninsurable.
    Just use public transport is my advise. Lots of students do that on a campus. If you want to enjoy driving wait till you get a job
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, it's tough although possible (earlier thread here).