Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How much money am I'm gonna get from insurance company?

harunrashidharunrashid Member Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Scion
I was driving my Scion tC 06 last night and got involved in a car accident. Someone came in-front of me from side road. He was trying to cross the road to go opposite directions. As I was driving at 40 mph and I saw him and I did hard break but it was too late. After that it's not starting, so obviously no gas. It's a stick shift car. I called 911 and I'm waiting for police report. It was completely other guys fault. Now my concern is how much money they gonna pay me to repair my car if that engine is dead?? We both have full insurance with geico.

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336

I was driving my Scion tC 06 last night and got involved in a car accident. Someone came in-front of me from side road. He was trying to cross the road to go opposite directions. As I was driving at 40 mph and I saw him and I did hard break but it was too late. After that it's not starting, so obviously no gas. It's a stick shift car. I called 911 and I'm waiting for police report. It was completely other guys fault. Now my concern is how much money they gonna pay me to repair my car if that engine is dead?? We both have full insurance with geico.

Your insurance will cover the mechanical repairs in addition to the body work.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Your insurance company will send an adjuster to assess the cost of repair. If the estimate reaches a certain percentage of current "book" value, the car will be totaled and not repaired. This percentage varies among companies but generally 60% of book value, more or less.

In some cases, where the damage cannot be readily assessed because it is "hidden", the insurance company might opt out at less than 60% because it doesn't want to be deluged with "supplement" requests from the body shop.

I saw this happen recently on a Porsche that was rear ended. Initially the insurance company ordered the vehicle to be fixed but when they pried the engine compartment open, they saw engine damage and upon hearing that the insurance company immediately totaled the car.

• Options
    Thanks guys for your info.....got a new car 2016 FR-S today. Pretty excited
  • Options

Thanks guys for your info.....got a new car 2016 FR-S today. Pretty excited

How much did the insurance company give your for your tC?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    Sorry....for the post. That tC.....still undecided....I just got a call that my police reports ready. So I'm gonna claim probably day after tomorrow.....
  • Options

Sorry....for the post. That tC.....still undecided....I just got a call that my police reports ready. So I'm gonna claim probably day after tomorrow.....

But you're sure it will get totaled?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    If not I'm gonna sell il...
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Some cars have a switch that shuts off the fuel supply if it senses a collision.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2016
    Fords only IIRC