Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Sonata remote start.

zoom08zoom08 Member Posts: 75
edited January 2016 in Hyundai
my car is a sonata limited 2013, it has push button start.
however, I am considering to add remote start. can someone tell me what I need to do to make it happen.
I don't want to pay for the Hyundai app on my phone for remote start and everything else that they bill you for yearly.
I know on a previous car, the 2nd remote would need to be destroyed to remove the chip and copy it to the remote starter / alarm. I need advise. thank you.

Comments

• Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    edited January 2016
    Buy the Avital remote start kit online from Amazon and a Best Buy will instal it for you for 250$

amazon.com/Avital-4103LX-Remote-System-4-Button/dp/B002P4P1G2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1452442006&sr=1-1&keywords=remote+car+starter

Alternatively, buy it from Best Buy and they will install it free for you.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's one way, although aftermarket remote-starts are often a source of trouble. The installer has to be VERY careful what he splices into....VERY careful.
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    I have done two installations at Best Buy and have had no problems.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    OK, you are a database of 2. Not a problem for someone with all the vehicle schematics and a good knowledge of automotive electronics, but Best Buy, really?

Here's what one vendor of aftermarket remotes says:

" be aware that attaching any aftermarket electronics product to today's vehicles without the proper know how can be extremely risky; the worst case scenario could be damaging the electronic control module (the computer) or detonating the air bag, resulting in expensive repairs.