Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Do the Internet prices have room for negotiation?

surferdudehbsurferdudehb Member Posts: 42
edited March 2016 in Toyota
I'm looking at 2013-2014 Camrys for commuting and using Autotrader.com are the prices listed there by dealers negotiable? If so, what leverage can I use to negotiate? Kelly Blue book?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2016
    Sure they're negotiable, either by reducing the price or throwing in extras at no cost. Your best leverage is knowledge of course. You can start by pricing out similar cars using Edmund's True Market Value Tool.

The TMV price is a "fair" price---not the lowest possible price you might get by jumping from dealer to dealer and grinding away for hours. But TMV will tell you if you are being offered a decent price, and if TMV is lower than that Internet price, you know for sure you have room to negotiate.

The other great leverage in bargaining is the ability to just stand up and walk out of the showroom. If you can't walk, you can't negotiate. If your offer was too low, and you leave the dealership, they won't ask you back.
  • Options
    Thankyou. I'm seeing similar cars (Camry's 14-15) with different mileage range but within the same price range. Does this mean the cheaper cars may have more wear and tear?
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336

Thankyou. I'm seeing similar cars (Camry's 14-15) with different mileage range but within the same price range. Does this mean the cheaper cars may have more wear and tear?

Every used car is different; even cars with similar mileage may have different wear and tear based on usage.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Should I start price haggling via email before I see the car? I can say "I found a similar car for $$$ at another dealership, can you come close to this number?"