Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Is there a site to compare passenger side leg room of vehicles?

phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
edited March 2016 in General
My son bought a new Pilot. I was going to get one too until I sat in the passengers seat. My knees cannot take the short leg room as I am in my 70's and my wife usually drives. My 2003 full size Montero is great. I would buy another if Mitsubishi would start bringing them into this country again.

Answers

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2016
    Tough one. Most sites list leg room stats - you probably found ours by using the Make | Model tab above and drilling down to the Features & Specs page. We don't have an easy way to compare those stats across models though - maybe someone can post if they know of a site.

Those stats supposedly follow conventions set out by the feds but I don't think they much take into account stuff like seat length (which can affect your thigh support big time). And since people are all built differently, it's hard to read a stat and know if the seat will really work for you or not. And sometimes it's the dash that sticks out and makes you feel crammed in (that was my wife's experience when we shopped Odyssey's way back in 1998 - maybe it's a Honda thing). And then there's that whole issue of people with long torsos who otherwise fit in a car except when it has a sunroof.

If you skim the consumer car reviews here, people will list their height and weight (sometimes) and sometimes they'll comment on the seat fit in their reviews. But that info isn't sortable, at least not currently. Until then, you can select some likely candidates and compare them side by side with our comparison tool (sort by Measurements).

Anyone?
  • Options
    phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    Thanks, Stever.
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    Legroom can be increased by sliding back the seat B)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Individual anatomy plays a big part here. Two people--one long torso, short legs, the other the opposite---same overall height but one is comfortable and one not, in the same car.

Ideally, you'd measure "leg room" from the back of the seat to the dashboard. but I doubt any manufacturer presents it that way.