Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Is it normal to see the rust on brand new vehicle?

danmiaodanmiao Member Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in Dodge
the van was manufactured in January 2016. bought this new van with 175km on May 7, 2016 and found rust like this. how does this happen? is it normal?

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Let's see if @Mr_Shiftright has an opinion.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited May 2016
    I would say not normal unless the car went through some chemical spill or some such by accident. I'd expect to see this on a 4-5 year old vehicle.
  • Options
    prowler_mq5qm_prowler_mq5qm_ Member Posts: 12
    Judging by all the "pitting" on the undercarriage, I would say salt water damage.
  • Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    danmiao said:

how does this happen?

Oxidation

is it normal?

To some degree, I've seen vehicles that were shipped thru ports more likely to have this than others.

• Options
    You could be right but while I could see salt causing those spots on the exhaust system, the rust on the suspension is pretty aggressive for just a few months exposure.
  • Options
    thanks all for your opinions. my Question is if this affects the safety of driving. does that mean i need to change parts sooner than normal??? shall i contact dodge canada?
  • Options
    by the way i got explanation from dealership said the rust was caused by heat. i don't get it anyway.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited May 2016
    The exhaust hanger, heat could be part of the reason. The bushing in the foreground is pressed through that arm after the arm is painted, and the outer sleeve of the bushing fits the arm so tightly that no paint would survive the installation so they are left natural. It is normal and no attention is required. The rubber of the bushing will fail before the outer sleeve does (about ten years normal use) and in some ways that makes replacing it easier.
  • Options
    No I don't think it is any kind of safety issue.
  • Options
    nisha_sahaynisha_sahay Member Posts: 2
    Don't worry about it, it is normal rust on any new vehicle. It happens on most of the cars standing in the open. For this problem the car owners at least cover the car so it can't happen again.
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    If its driven in the northern winters with road salt., it is normal .