Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Destination Charging is a Thing - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Tesla
imageDestination Charging is a Thing - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Everyone knows that Tesla Superchargers extend the range of cars like our 2016 Tesla Model X, but the network has something called Destination Charging, too.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I'd be pretty mad if I head out to some shopping center and such to get some extra miles while on a break on a trip and have a spot taken up by a regular car. I think they should have the whole spot painted green or whatever indicating that its Tesla only. I think that's a reasonable expectation for Tesla to tell the businesses. Want the person with a $150k car coming to your place? Give them a dedicated spot.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Emily Litilla just logged on and complained that destination charging is just another profit center for the manufacturers, along with ad fees and doc fees. :p

Tesla needs gated parking slots that only open when you press a button on your EV dash.

Something else to break though. Never mind.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451

I'd be pretty mad if I head out to some shopping center and such to get some extra miles while on a break on a trip and have a spot taken up by a regular car. I think they should have the whole spot painted green or whatever indicating that its Tesla only. I think that's a reasonable expectation for Tesla to tell the businesses. Want the person with a $150k car coming to your place? Give them a dedicated spot.

I've spoken with a Tesla operative about this particular spot, and they're working on better signage. Others I've visited are either better-marked or within the control of parking valets.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This would be very important in winter months, when Tesla ranges drop like a rock.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Can y'all imagine what people would be saying if this was in reference to a Gasoline or Diesel powered (I.C.E.) car?

"Well, we don't have very many gas stations in this area, but if you're willing to wait around for someone to put some in a gas can with a Tablespoon, you can go here and get gas. Just make sure you bring your own gas can that's an industry standard gas can, since their spoon is sized for that particular nozzle. Otherwise, you'll have to bring a funnel."

I know, eventually, the market will expand to more Supercharger stations outside of California...but still.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I want to make fun of the muggle reference, but then that would mean I know what it means..
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    "One of them recently showed up behind the hair place I use."

Is that a barber shop in non Cali speak?
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    And this is why EV's won't overtake ICE anytime soon. I like daryleason analogy of filling a gas powered car with a spoon, that's the equivalent of charging an EV. If I'm going on a long distance road trip I don't want to spend several hours in some unknown town every time I need to get gas. And even if I wanted to how could I go sight seeing since the car doesn't have any gas.
  • arcticbluetsxarcticbluetsx Member Posts: 79
    I live in NY where Teslas are fairly common, but I would be EXTREMELY annoyed if I was circling a lot looking for a spot and the only one available was a Tesla charging station. I understand handicapped, expectant mothers, veterans deserve their own spot. I don't believe that EV's deserve there own spot though.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    But I thought wealth had its privileges? B)

• stovebolterstovebolter Member Posts: 53

I live in NY where Teslas are fairly common, but I would be EXTREMELY annoyed if I was circling a lot looking for a spot and the only one available was a Tesla charging station. I understand handicapped, expectant mothers, veterans deserve their own spot. I don't believe that EV's deserve there own spot though.

Completely agree. I'll respect any "reserved for..." parking so long as there are other options available (I don't mind parking way in the back), but if the parking lot is otherwise completely full, the only spots I will never park in are the handicapped spaces. You don't get free reserved parking in a public lot just because you purchased a certain car.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100

Completely agree. I'll respect any "reserved for..." parking so long as there are other options available (I don't mind parking way in the back), but if the parking lot is otherwise completely full, the only spots I will never park in are the handicapped spaces. You don't get free reserved parking in a public lot just because you purchased a certain car.
    So... 100s of cars in the lot, completely full, and you thought they were saving the electric charging spot for your Chevy? :p

So, when you come out, you drive to the nearest gas station, but the electric car has to be flat-bedded home?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Reserved Parking is such a hot-topic to mess around with. Everything is a balance. You have to walk that fine line between "treating everyone fairly" to "Making reasonable accommodations." Depending on my mood affects the viewpoint I have on the topic. I am a Veteran, but I'm not a big believer in "Veteran Only" parking spots. I do support handicapped parking spots (duh) and maternity/small infant parking. Electric vehicle parking? I think it makes sense, but not when they put it at the front of the store/building. Park it on the back forty to increase turn-over rate for vehicles coming and going while your car sits there all day and charges. Additionally, if you're going to provide free electricity for the Electric Vehicles, how about doing something nice for the other 99 percent of your customers? Come up with something.
    kyfdx said:

So... 100s of cars in the lot, completely full, and you thought they were saving the electric charging spot for your Chevy? :p

So, when you come out, you drive to the nearest gas station, but the electric car has to be flat-bedded home?
    I don't have too much sympathy for the "flatbedded home" line. Let's look at it another way. The Superchargers are the equivalent of a gas station. A free one, at that, for most EV Owners. So parking an ICE vehicle at a Supercharger would be a [non-permissible content removed] thing to do. But a "courtesy charger" station? Saying that it's someone else's responsibility to make sure that they can charge their vehicle while shopping at the mall is similar to saying that if your car runs out of gas because you couldn't park somewhere, other than at a gas pump at a gas station, is their fault. Do you purposely go somewhere knowing you won't have the fuel to leave the parking lot? No. You fill prior to getting there. EVs should think the same way.