Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Acura MDX AWD Price Paid and buying experience

shekersheker Member Posts: 8
edited September 2016 in Acura
I am planning to buy 2017 MDX in VA state (Zip Code 22042).Please post OTD price and your buying experience for 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package and 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advanced.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Have you started getting quotes yet @sheker? Your NOVA/DC region enjoys aggressive Honda prices. Not sure if the Acura dealers follow suit.

It's early days but TMV is coming in about halfway between invoice and MSRP, so that's a little encouraging.
  • shekersheker Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2016
    I have received below quote for 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package.
    I am in VA state, zip code 22042.Is this good price ?
    Special Price: $48,721 which includes $940 destination charge (Actual MSRP price : $51,300 )
    Final quote = $48,721 + VA State tax + Licence fee + $599 processing fee.
    That's $1,200 below the TMV average and just $1,000 above invoice. Sounds like a good price, especially for a new 2017 model while we're still in summer mode.

The doc fee is too high; guess that's where the dealer is making their profit.

You're in an expensive zip code area (my sister lived there for a year or two) so I'm kind of surprised at this deal so early in the new model year.
  • varusunvarusun Member Posts: 11
    I am in SoCal and planning to purchase 2017 AWD Tech, but dealers are saying it would be MSRP at this time. They offered me 2016 AWD Advance at 49,500+Taxes+Title is this a good price? Any thought on should I go for 2016 or wait for 2017 prices to go down? Another option is leasing the 2016 with $1,500 cash back, but I am not sure about leasing as I would be driving this car only around 4 to 5 K in an year.
    edited August 2016
    TMV is around $500 below invoice, for the 2016 SH-AWD with Advance. Since that's an average you'd want to try to beat it, and since the 2017s are out, a good number to shoot for would be ~$2,000 below invoice.

I haven't kept up with the differences between the 2016s and 2017s. I tend to wait for the latest and greatest (forever...) but if the dealer is doing deals on the 16's and has the color you want, why not? Your low miles will counteract a good bit of depreciation when you trade again too.
    Completed purchase today in VA state (model 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package).
    45,830 purchase price + 598 processing + 1926 VA Tax + 78.93 Business licence Tax+ 65 Licencing+$751 basic 3 yrs Acura care=49,251 (OTD)

Is this good price ?

Sounds like you did well @sheker - congrats!
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Stever.
    Is the $750 maintenance (3 yrs) package worth ?

Acura Care Maintenance includes the following services:
    1)Oil and filter
    2)Tire rotation
    3)Air intake filter
    4)Cabin air filter
    5)Automatic transmission fluid
    6)Rear differential fluid
    7)Transfer case fluid
    8)Brake fluid
    9)Multi-point inspection:
    - Front and rear brakes
    - Parking brake adjustment
    - Tie rod ends
    - Steering gear box and boots
    - Suspension components
    - Drive shaft boots
    - Brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VS)
    - All fluid levels and condition of fluids
    - Exhaust system
    - Fuel lines and connections
    - Drive belts
    edited August 2016
    I don't think pre-paid maintenance is worth it. You are tied to the dealer and can't use an indy shop (or do it yourself) and often those checks are "free" anyway when you get a scheduled service. And often the checks are free with just an oil change.

My sister got a 2015 Crosstrek late in the model year and decided to get prepaid maintenance. Her salesperson added up the costs of the oil changes, etc. and showed her that she'd save a few hundred bucks.

Guess what the first mailing she got from the dealer was?

Yep, a coupon for 50% off her first oil change. B)

The other thing is what happens if some yahoo totals your car - will the dealer refund your money for the unused service?

Cabin air filters likely have a 1000% mark-up at the dealer.

The flip side is - you can figure your maintenance costs for the first three years will look like this:

Year 1 $359
    Year 2 $589
    Year 3 $514

We don't have True Cost to Own numbers for the 2017s yet but those 2016 numbers should be good enough. That's assuming 15,000 miles a year.

So viewed in that light, $750 is a screaming deal. Best check that everything is covered though. The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide will tell you what's required by Acura and estimate what the cost should be in your zip (again, we don't have 2017 numbers yet but the 2016's numbers should be good enough).

And note that dealers often pad what services are required instead of going by the recommendations in the owner's manual. And that's why it's better to go in and request an oil change and tire rotation instead of saying you want the 7,500 mile service.
    edited August 2016
    Thank you Steve...how can I find invoice price for 2016 SH-AWD Advance Package? As you know 2017 is mid cycle refresh. The 16 Advance I get all features of 17 Tech + Perforated seats with cooling and parking sensors. Whereas loose on 20 inch wheels (in 2017) to 19 inch wheels in 2016. So anyone has tried to compare this 2016 Advance to 2017 Tech? Price wise 2016 Advance is available around 49,000 (MSRP 56,300) whereas 2017 Tech at MSRP at 51,300
    I like smaller wheels so that's a plus for me. :) And perforated seats would be very nice.

Looks like invoice is $52,303 for the 2016 SH-AWD Advance, including the $940 destination (easiest way to look up invoice and MSRP is to use the Make | Model dropdown tabs up top and then click the Build and Price link).
    I heard some additional discounts (cash) during labor day sale starting this weekend. Any information on the additional incentives?
  • new08tlnew08tl Member Posts: 2
    @sheker, is that $45,830 price right? The invoice for 2017 SH-AWD Tech package is $46,841. I am looking to buy that car in KC soon.
  • sm12_mw12sm12_mw12 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am planning to buy 2017 MDX in IL/IN state (Zip Code 61801). Please post OTD price and your buying experience for 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package. Any references to dealers is also appreciated. Thanks
  • arunkantarunkant Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2017 MDX AWD with advance and entertainment on labor day weekend in bay area. My wife is very specific about exterior and interior color, so have been emailing to various dealership for 2 weeks for availability. In labor day week, multiple dealer offered $2000 below MSRP but suddenly one dealer offered invoice. Then reached out to the dealer who has the car with color we needed and he agreed on invoice price but then they added adag fee of $350 when went to pick up the car. So price jumped to $55596 but still bought the car as we were looking for that color and no other dealership in 100 miles have that.
    Happy wife... :)

Congrats!
  • nookwaynookway Member Posts: 2
    arunkant said:

Bought a 2017 MDX AWD with advance and entertainment on labor day weekend in bay area. My wife is very specific about exterior and interior color, so have been emailing to various dealership for 2 weeks for availability. In labor day week, multiple dealer offered $2000 below MSRP but suddenly one dealer offered invoice. Then reached out to the dealer who has the car with color we needed and he agreed on invoice price but then they added adag fee of $350 when went to pick up the car. So price jumped to $55596 but still bought the car as we were looking for that color and no other dealership in 100 miles have that.

Hello,

I live in the bay area too and looking for the 2017 Acura MDX with Advance and Entertainment package. I would appreciate if you could share the dealers that gave you the invoice price. I am not too picky on colors if the price is right.

Thanks for your help!

- Andy
  • arunkantarunkant Member Posts: 2
    I bought MDX from Acura of concord. Last week, Internet sales manager of Fremont Acura also agree of invoice price but the interior color was different so decide to go with concord.
  • nookwaynookway Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information! Appreciate your help!
  • gethondagethonda Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2016
    sheker said:

Completed purchase today in VA state (model 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package).
    45,830 purchase price + 598 processing + 1926 VA Tax + 78.93 Business licence Tax+ 65 Licencing+$751 basic 3 yrs Acura care=49,251 (OTD)

Is this good price ?

@Sekhar, If you don't mind.Can you send me the dealer information.
  • willbrook1willbrook1 Member Posts: 6
    I, too, am interested in purchasing a 2017 MDX with Tech Package in the Northern Virginia area. There are a few dealerships in the area, and competition is good for the consumer!. I will shortly contact two or three dealerships, and will post the "out the door pricing" that I receive on this forum. Hopefully, others will benefit. In the meantime, I would also like to hear more from @Sekhar about his recent purchase, to include dealership info. That seems like an excellent price!
    Even better, let us know the selling price and fees breakdown. I don't remember what the tax rate is up in NOVA but down here, they only charge 3.5% sales tax on a car. Makes a good bit of difference on the OTD numbers.

Have fun shopping!
  • shehzadashehzada Member Posts: 4
    In Seattle, I got quote of $55,800 +Tax +Licensing for 2017 MDX with Advanced Package. Is it good?
    shehzada said:

In Seattle, I got quote of $55,800 +Tax +Licensing for 2017 MDX with Advanced Package. Is it good?

The 2017 MDX Advance FWD has a MSRP of $55,340.

Sorry, not clear which one of the 10 styles you are shopping. Your quote sounds high.
    Zip: 98006
    Trim: 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD with Advance Package
    MSRP $57340

I got quote for
    $54800 + Licensing fee + Tax

• savoy56savoy56 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2016
    @sheker. Please provide dealer name in Va. That's $1000 below dealer invoice.
    edited September 2016
    shehzada said:

MSRP $57340

I got quote for

Thanks, now I'm on the same page with you.

We show invoice to be $53,589. That includes the $940 destination, but also includes a $200 ad fee. I don't think consumers should be paying ad fees, so to my way of thinking, the real invoice number is $53,389 (I really shouldn't care since invoice doesn't mean much these days - the dealers get all kinds of bonuses and incentives that we don't hear about, so the price they actually pay Acura is less than invoice. But it's another data point).

Back to your deal, your quote is about $1,300 higher than invoice and quite a bit lower than the True Market Value average price paid for your zip code - TMV is $56,083.

You could wait until the end of the month and maybe get a few hundred more off - theory being that sales are easing off and the dealer may be more aggressive at month end in order to sell a few more cars to make quota. But you're in a wealthy area and it's not as much of a buyer's market as some regions.

So I think that's a pretty good quote you have for the Pac NW, and better than the one you had when you posted. It's early in the 2017 season and there's not a lot of inventory on the ground. So if they have your color, I'd go for it.
    Thanks for the detail reply and it really helped me to make the decision.
    stever said:

shehzada said:

MSRP $57340

I got quote for

Thanks, now I'm on the same page with you.

We show invoice to be $53,589. That includes the $940 destination, but also includes a $200 ad fee. I don't think consumers should be paying ad fees, so to my way of thinking, the real invoice number is $53,389 (I really shouldn't care since invoice doesn't mean much these days - the dealers get all kinds of bonuses and incentives that we don't hear about, so the price they actually pay Acura is less than invoice. But it's another data point).

Back to your deal, your quote is about $1,300 higher than invoice and quite a bit lower than the True Market Value average price paid for your zip code - TMV is $56,083.

You could wait until the end of the month and maybe get a few hundred more off - theory being that sales are easing off and the dealer may be more aggressive at month end in order to sell a few more cars to make quota. But you're in a wealthy area and it's not as much of a buyer's market as some regions.

So I think that's a pretty good quote you have for the Pac NW, and better than the one you had when you posted. It's early in the 2017 season and there's not a lot of inventory on the ground. So if they have your color, I'd go for it.
    Thanks for the detail reply and it really helped me to make the decision.
  • willbrook1willbrook1 Member Posts: 6
    I have received a quote for a 2017 AWD MDX with Tech package from a Washington D.C. area dealership:

$47,150 (including $940 destination fee), $300 "processing fee", plus applicable state tax, tag and title. Tag and title are estimated at $245, but would likely be less if tag is transferred from trade-in vehicle. Tax paid will be dependent upon where vehicle is registered. The $4,150 discount from MSRP ($50,300) seems significant to me. Any comments?
    Draft

I have received a quote for a 2017 AWD MDX with Tech package from a Washington D.C. area dealership:

$47,150 (including $940 destination fee), $300 "processing fee", plus applicable state tax, tag and title. Tag and title are estimated at $245, but would likely be less if tag is transferred from trade-in vehicle. Tax paid will be dependent upon where vehicle is registered. The $4,150 discount from MSRP ($50,300) seems significant to me. Any comments?

Hi @willbrook1, you know the drill - the True Market Value average price paid for DC is $49,830 - your quote is about $600 below invoice. And that's on the latest and greatest. Very "significant".

My only question is what color are you getting. :)

• mmmggggmmmgggg Member Posts: 6
    Looking to buy a AWD + Advanced package. What would I expect to pay. Is 53k + TTR reasonable?

Thanks
    mmmgggg said:

Looking to buy a AWD + Advanced package. What would I expect to pay. Is 53k + TTR reasonable?

Thanks

Invoice is $53,389, MSRP is $57,340 and the True Market Value average price paid for a random zipcode is $56,158.

$53k should be doable in some areas, perhaps not all though.
  • ram_edmundsram_edmunds Member Posts: 5
    sheker said:

Is this good price ?

@sheker
    Me & many others here would greatly appreciate if you can provide the dealer info where you got your MDX at this screeching price. And also confirm the price you mentioned --> $45,830 including destination for 2017 MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package.
  • dinformerdinformer Member Posts: 2
    Live in the Bay Area. Hoping to close on this deal tomorrow. Been emailing various dealers and so far the best offer I have for a 2017 FWD Tech Package Black/Ebony is $45,362 + Reg $518.75 + Tax $4,316.99 = $50,197.74 OTD. This was for Crystal Black on Ebony. Supposedly all bay area dealers do not currently have this model in stock so the vehicle I hope to purchase is in transit and expected within 2 weeks.

That was the best offer for that color scheme. The best offer by far for just the car was from Hopkins Acura which offered $49,700 OTD for FWD TECH Modern Steel Metallic / Ebony. The salesman was upfront in letting me know that a dealership bonus was at stake. They had 8 more cars to go or so to reach it.

I waited patiently to take advantage of the last week of the month which will also be the last week of the 3rd quarter. Now during the course of this process I have been a victim of attempted bait and switch so I keep my guard up for any offer until I sign on the dotted line.

I will update everyone tomorrow hopefully when this is done. Wish me luck folks.

Luck!
  • briantrevbriantrev Member Posts: 6
    Can someone tell me whether this is a good deal?
    Lease on 2017 MDX with tech 36 x 10k a year.

Sale Price or cap cost: $47,347.00
    Residual: 63%
    Money Factor: .00153

Total due @ signing: $1696.17 which are your drive off expenses.

35 remaining payments of $539 plus tax.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063
    briantrev said:

I'm showing 62% for 36/10 on the MDX Tech.

What is the MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

The MSRP is $51,300.00
  • dinformerdinformer Member Posts: 2
    Closed last night.

2017 Acura MDX FWD TECH
    MSRP $49,300
    Sale Price $45,362 + Tax + L&R = $50,197.74 OTD.
    Michaell said:

briantrev said:

I'm showing 62% for 36/10 on the MDX Tech.

What is the MSRP?
    briantrev said:

The MSRP is $51,300.00

I get $553/mo pre-tax with those prices and the 62% residual.

What state and tax rate is this?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Congrats @dinformer and thanks for the detailed post!
    This is for MA. So sales tax is 6.25%
    briantrev said:

This is for MA. So sales tax is 6.25%

$588/mo with tax. Your deal looks solid.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

the thing I don't understand is how they are telling me my payment will be $539?
    briantrev said:

the thing I don't understand is how they are telling me my payment will be $539?

Confirm the adjusted cap cost with them. And, are they expecting any money as cap reduction?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

OK - heres the full story now:

MSRP 51,300,
    Drive off fees: acquisition fee: $595, Document fee: $335, registration:$135, first month:$573 (total:$1696)
    36 payments of $573.
    The original quote of $539 was without the taxes figured in.

Still a good deal?
    briantrev said:

OK - heres the full story now:

MSRP 51,300,
    Drive off fees: acquisition fee: $595, Document fee: $335, registration:$135, first month:$573 (total:$1696)
    36 payments of $573.
    The original quote of $539 was without the taxes figured in.

Still a good deal?

I get the same payment, now. If you're comfortable with the selling price, you should be good to go.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• dd2501dd2501 Member Posts: 1
    Bay Area - 2017 MDX - SH AWD with tech package - 47300 + TTL.

Acura of pleasanton
  • hfzeushfzeus Member Posts: 39

sheker said:

Is this good price ?

@sheker
    Me & many others here would greatly appreciate if you can provide the dealer info where you got your MDX at this screeching price. And also confirm the price you mentioned --> $45,830 including destination for 2017 MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Since that poster is MIA for the last month, I'll give it a shot.

Based on the price, location, and processing fee amount, I would bet the dealership is Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA.