Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Do You Need an All-Wheel-Drive or Four-Wheel-Drive Car?

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2016 in General
imageDo You Need an All-Wheel-Drive or Four-Wheel-Drive Car?

Car shoppers looking at all-wheel-drive or four-wheel-drive vehicles face a difficult decision. Are they that much safer and worth the extra cash?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    texasdiptexasdip Member Posts: 1
    No vehicle has drive to both front wheels at the same time!!!!
  • Options
    time411975time411975 Member Posts: 1
    @texasdip - Are you absolutely sure about that statement? Have you ever heard of the limited slip differential? Have you heard of the Locking differential? Have you ever heard of the Viscous Coupling? Have you heard of the Quaife differentia? Do you remember reading about Graf & Stift who made a 1 cylinder vehicle with front wheel drive that drove the front axle? Maybe you have read the list of every single "defunct" automobile manufacture in the United States, and studied each and every vehicle. Man i hate talking about the history of cars. Makes me think of the 48 Tucker. Fact is there are concepts and ideas that may have not even made it to the public. As the Tucker company was ruined by media big gov. and more prominent manufactures so is much of tech ideas. Though the differentials i have given you already prove your statement false.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    @time411975 - have you noticed that you are responding to a post that is 2 1/2 years old? :sunglasses:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Never too late for an argument about cars. B)

Also the article really doesn't touch upon another advantage of 4WD, although this doesn't hold true in all cases----ground clearance. True, an Audi Allroad or Subaru Outback won't give you much advantage, but some pickups and SUVs are jacked up pretty good, and people find security in that configuration--say for flooding, rough roads or very deep snow.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Or in the Seattle area, the gravel area between the street and driveway, shopping mall parking garages, IKEA parking lots, etc.
  • Options
    I really love it when a huge SUV just slows down and.....creeps ever so slowly.....over a small speed bump--lol!

• Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

I really love it when a huge SUV just slows down and.....creeps ever so slowly.....over a small speed bump--lol!

Actually, I have an F250 farm truck that I crawl over speed bumps. It's far too punishing to go fast. Whoever owned this thing before me put Rancho off-roading shocks, so it rides like it doesn't HAVE a suspension.

Fortunately, this is not a daily driver, or i'd have to wear a kidney belt...
  • Options
    Well sure there is a practical limit to going over speed bumps, but you could handle 10-15 mph I'm sure. It doesn't have to be walking pace.
  • Options
    ObviousnessObviousness Member Posts: 1
    All automobiles have round wheels!!!!!
  • Options
    oh yeah?