Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Buick Enclave Rack and Pinion / Power Steering

kwame_enclavekwame_enclave Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Buick

I started reading this forum blog because I found out today that my 2009 Buick Enclave will have to have its rack & pinion replaced at 85,000 miles and out of warranty. What I found to be odd was that in February 2012 a reader "mgmd11" had the exact same issue and my mechanic is telling me the same thing his mechanic told him... "My mechanic said this is a common problem with this model and there is no quality recall." It will cost me $1300. I am amazed that two years later, there is nothing that has been done to recall this model with this issue... It is sad to hear that after two years this thing is still happening... How can I get some relief? Anybody have any solutions, suggestions???

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited April 2014

Do you realize that a "Recall" has a legal definition? Basically, it applies to SAFETY issues.

Otherwise, it would be a "Technical Service Bulletin" (TSB) That refers to everything else.

You could try researching ( http://www.nhtsa.gov/ ) to see if your vehicle has been reported.

At 85K miles, this car "does not owe you anything".... it has served a long life and should be EXPECTED to require some repairs. Why the heck to you expect this to be 'covered' by someone else? I have replaced rack-n-pinion units on two seperate vehicles. One came from a scrapyard and was replaced by mechanic, the other one I purchased at autoparts store and replaced it myself.

Also, If you know this is a 'common problem', you should have taken precautionary measures and replaced the power-steering fluid more frequently. (Did you change it ever?)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

There have been technical bulletin on the power steering, but mostly to replace seals within the system, not the entire rack (although this is sometimes necessary). So "leaks" have been a known problem but not necessarily the entire rack being defective. Of course, advising to replace only the seals might be GM's way of cheaping out the repairs, I don't know.

You can always ask for a goodwill adjustment--if you are on good terms with your dealer he is occasionally given discretionary funds for this purpose. But you'd have to be kind of cozy with the dealer, in terms of having bought from him perhaps or had service done there.

But after 5 years, and out of warranty with 80K miles, you may have to bite the bullet on this one.

• jteich2014jteich2014 Member Posts: 1

I, too, was just informed of needing a new rack and pinion. This is ridiculous. I have a 2008 Buick Enclave with 73,000 miles on it. Clearly there is a problem here. I have to pay $1800 to have this fixed. Where is the relief GM? You should cover this cost.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

@jteich2014 said:
    I, too, was just informed of needing a new rack and pinion. This is ridiculous. I have a 2008 Buick Enclave with 73,000 miles on it. Clearly there is a problem here. I have to pay $1800 to have this fixed. Where is the relief GM? You should cover this cost.

This is a ridiculous expectation!! Why do people think that SOMEONE ELSE should pay to fix their car after that many miles? After the warantee is over, you pay for your own repairs. You are not a "victim" and and not owed anything.

If you want a vehicle that is reliable beyond 150K miles, consider something besides GM products.

• scaredmamascaredmama Member Posts: 2

I also have a 2009 enclave with 64,500 miles. My power steering is randomly going out. I have checked the fluid and it is fine. I take care of my car well and get it serviced at the dealership. It is scary when you go turn and it stops working I have 4 encounters thank God that no one was coming the other direction or my and family & I would have been in multiple wrecks. I do not understand because it has been a ongoing issue and there is a Class Action lawsuit with the steering defects but no recall?

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

We are sorry to hear you've experienced this. We'd be happy to reach out to your dealership on your behalf. If you'd like our assistance, please reach out to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com. Please include your full contact information, VIN and dealership name.

Thank you,

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• grgelliottgrgelliott Member Posts: 1

My 2008 Enclave is in the dealership now getting the steering rack removed and replaced with a new one after it had completely failed while driving and causing us to lose all power steering. It has been serviced regularly and is the nicest car we own and now becoming the most expensive car we own after this latest issue. It is a very big safety issue when you lose all power steering with a baby in the back seat. I called GM and they said they will mail me a letter and reimbursement form "IF" my vehicle is involved in the recall.. I have a feeling that since i own a 2008 and not a 2009 that I may have to just bite the $1800 fix for a complete failure of the system that i did not cause and appears to be an ongoing issue with many of the enclaves. Its just frustrating to have this happen..

Hi grgelliot,
    Safety is of utmost importance to us at General Motors and we're sorry if you feel your vehicle has not met this standard. We understand this repair may have posed as a financial inconvenience for you and your family and we do apologize. If you have any additional questions or concerns, we would be more than happy to address them via private message.

Amber N.

GM Customer Care

@grgelliott said:
    My 2008 Enclave is in the dealership now getting the steering rack removed and replaced with a new one after it had completely failed while driving and causing us to lose all power steering. It has been serviced regularly and is the nicest car we own and now becoming the most expensive car we own after this latest issue. It is a very big safety issue when you lose all power steering with a baby in the back seat. I called GM and they said they will mail me a letter and reimbursement form "IF" my vehicle is involved in the recall.. I have a feeling that since i own a 2008 and not a 2009 that I may have to just bite the $1800 fix for a complete failure of the system that i did not cause and appears to be an ongoing issue with many of the enclaves. Its just frustrating to have this happen..

• nessa709nessa709 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2014
    I have also had problems with my 2010 buick enclave with 39,000 miles on it. Brought it in to service and found out that the brushing wre bad on the rack and pinion and it would cost about $650.00 It fix because it was out of warranty by 6 months. I call gm customer care and waiting on a call back to see what gm is going to do about this problem. I don't drive this car much but to my other car being a 2013 ford escape but i'm mad that this happen to a car that is only 4 years old. I think that gm needs to replace the whole rack and pinion and make good on there products, i'm very close to trading it in for a 2015 toyota highlander which now looks like a buick, but i don't want to get rid og my car and the flip side of it i paid it off a few months ago thinking that it would be nice not to pay a note on this car, mistake?????
    Hi nessa709, I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations with this component of your Enclave. Can you please provide us with your VIN by way of private message? This will allow us to document your concern within your case and communicate with the agent.

Marlea W.

GM Customer Care
  • nessa709nessa709 Member Posts: 4
    MARLEA W. I JUST MESSAGE YOU WITH MY VIN# AND CONTACT INFO. AND MILAGE OF MY 2010 BUICK ENCLAVE
    Hello!

I have received your message nessa709 and will continue our communication within private message.

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Care

• gmdisappointedgmdisappointed Member Posts: 1

unsafe ride,

G M is a big disappointment for me. I purchased a used Enclave and two months later steering problems began. I now have total loss of power steering at slower speeds. Turning corners are very unsafe and parking lots are difficult also. According to G M service manager this vehicle had steering gear, pump and fluid changed out at 41,990 miles. Now at 72k steering is bad again Buick Customer Assistance, G M Service dept.manager and Dealer manager all said they are unaware of any such problem with Enclaves. How can that be with so many people having the same complaint and a class action law suit in California? I asked Customer Assistance if they will fix the $310.14 steering valve as I am already paying $1,105.41 for an engine oil leak. Their reply was "sorry, you are out of warranty and will be paying for that yourself". I don't expect them to pay for the leak but the steering should be their fix. This will be my last G M vehicle, I wish I had my Toyota back. Will this steering problem turn out to be like their ignition switch problem and take ten years to be resolved? Sorry for being so long winded but I am very disappointed with the vehicle I wanted so badly.

• jennyz7478jennyz7478 Member Posts: 1
    I just had my 2009 Enclaves rack and pinion replaced. I was 3000 miles over the extended warranty but my local dealership was able to do a good will adjustment for me and my cost ended up being $500. My car has 67000 miles on it currently.  I'm 45 years old and have drove GM my whole adult life. In spite of some misgiving I bought GM again mainly because their cars have a reputation of making it many miles, I've had them go near 300,000 and still be strong! I'm disappointed in the response to this steering issue though after I read this forum it's clearly an issue. It is a safety concern, it sure shouldn't wear out at such low miles and is going to look pretty ugly if it is proven to have caused deaths and injury like the starters did. Incidentally my steering still isn't fixed, I originally took it to the dealership because my car was swaying going down the road. The dealership says that's caused by control arm bushings that need to be replaced and wouldn't good will that repair. They quoted us $700 for the control arm fix. A car with 67000 on it is still like new to me. It saddens me that this is a known issue yet no recall or service bulletin has been issued to protect consumers. I'm going to struggle to continue to stand by GM when it appears they can't fully protect consumers from known product failures.

I just had my 2009 Enclaves rack and pinion replaced. I was 3000 miles over the extended warranty but my local dealership was able to do a good will adjustment for me and my cost ended up being $500. My car has 67000 miles on it currently.  I'm 45 years old and have drove GM my whole adult life. In spite of some misgiving I bought GM again mainly because their cars have a reputation of making it many miles, I've had them go near 300,000 and still be strong! I'm disappointed in the response to this steering issue though after I read this forum it's clearly an issue. It is a safety concern, it sure shouldn't wear out at such low miles and is going to look pretty ugly if it is proven to have caused deaths and injury like the starters did. Incidentally my steering still isn't fixed, I originally took it to the dealership because my car was swaying going down the road. The dealership says that's caused by control arm bushings that need to be replaced and wouldn't good will that repair. They quoted us $700 for the control arm fix. A car with 67000 on it is still like new to me. It saddens me that this is a known issue yet no recall or service bulletin has been issued to protect consumers. I'm going to struggle to continue to stand by GM when it appears they can't fully protect consumers from known product failures.

Hello jennyz7478,

We truly regret to learn you feel this way based on your experience. General Motors relies heavily on customer loyalty and we do not want this experience to affect your outlook on the brand. If there is anything we can do to help with your situation please private message us, or contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com. Please be sure to include your VIN, exact mileage, full contact information and service center.

Thank you
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• mkenclavemkenclave Member Posts: 1
    I am also having to replace the rack and pinion on my 2009 Enclave. It is at 80,000 miles. I have also had the power train replaced, luckily it was under warranty. After reading all the comments I think there is a problem with the rack and pinion, it can't just be wear and tear. I have had many other vehicles and drove them until 100,000 plus mileage and never had any of the major issues I have had with my Enclave. GM definitely needs to look in to this.
    I Will never buy another GM product.
    mkenclave said:

I am also having to replace the rack and pinion on my 2009 Enclave. It is at 80,000 miles. I have also had the power train replaced, luckily it was under warranty. After reading all the comments I think there is a problem with the rack and pinion, it can't just be wear and tear. I have had many other vehicles and drove them until 100,000 plus mileage and never had any of the major issues I have had with my Enclave. GM definitely needs to look in to this.
    I Will never buy another GM product.

Hello mkenclave,

Our deepest apologies for the trouble you've experienced with your Buick Enclave. We understand multiple repairs can pose as an inconvenience and we're sorry to hear this situation has caused you to feel this way. Please private message us your VIN, dealership name and contact information if there's anything we can do to help.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • avf1214avf1214 Member Posts: 2
    I am very disappointed to get the news today that my 2010 Buick Enclave with 55k miles need the rack and pinion replaced to the tune of $1400. I am concerned to drive the car with my toddler in tow,  and I am disappointed GM doesn't cover such a repair as I now see as an issue with many Enclave's. I'm just out of warranty and take very good care of my car and it is serviced as recommended by Buick. Does anyone have any information on GM covering this or if they are looking into recalling this part? I'm reading tbere is a class action lawsuit over the power steering. Thanks so much! 
  • avf1214avf1214 Member Posts: 2
    Can gmc respond to my comment???
  • ridge4ridge4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Buick Enclave with 65000 miles on it. Wife recently informed me that she couldn't get the car in the parking stall because it wouldn't steer. I originally thought it was ice build up and told her to check it. She got home and said it was very dangerous to drive, and one of my daughter's was with her. I immediately checked fluids and it was fine, so I took it for a drive. Needless to say, I ALMOST drive this straight into the guardrails. I was making a right hand turn, couldn't hardly turn the wheel (wife was indeed correct) then the power steering mysteriously worked, in the middle of the turn. I did indeed go off the road but was able to keep the vehicle from hitting anything. Can only imagine if it was a left hand turn and another vehicle would have been coming the other way. This thing gives you no warning at all as to whether it's going to work or fail. It's a shame that GM won't admit to failure on these things and actually repair the vehicle. ($45,000 sticker price..????) I actually have my vehicle at the GM garage as I'm typing this up, and they won't replace the defective steering pump (which GM knows there are problems, and are willing to replace) because I am not willing to pay $1000 for them to replace the rack. I have four kids, so yes, I am going to have to replace the rack myself and then take it back for them to replace the power steering pump. Rather coincidental isn't it. They know there's a problem with the power steering pump, know the fluid from the pump travels through the rack, but won't replace the rack. Great job GM. I'll remember that when we bail you out again, thanks for throwing billions of tax dollars away, you have one heck of a product on the streets.
  • bcoderbcoder Member Posts: 1
    Ahhh,  just got the call from my Buick dealer, my steering rack is leaking and I will need it replaced to pass inspection. $1600 and the front right strut needs replaced. My 2009 Enclave has 52,000 miles and every time I take the car in for maintenance it's another bill for hundreds of dollars.  I told the dealer not to do anything to the enclave because I am going to dump it.  So long GM.  I am not going to spend that kind of money so they can stick the same defective parts back into it. 
  • iluv2drviluv2drv Member Posts: 1
    bpebbles said it well; if you want a reliable vehicule that won't cost you an arm and a leg in maintenance and repair, buy something else than a GM product. I acquired a used 2008 Buick Enclave 2 years ago because of the whisper quiet ride, but this to the expense of a maintenance nightmare. I have owned over 20 cars, the majority of them used, and this is by far (very very far) the one that has been the worst in reliability and in maintenance and repair cost. However, one must understand that this is what is to be expected from a vehicule that does not have a long history in design and refinement. Lesson learned, never buy a vehicule that is a new model design and do research on the reliability issues of the model you wish to acquire.
  • tashawhitetashawhite Member Posts: 1
    my story is the same. 2010 Buick Enclave needs to have the rack replaced and tires realigned Quote is for $1100. I bought this car used 3 months ago.
  • trucker86trucker86 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2010 Enclave where it locks up while turning, almost got me hit or killed a few times, it's very dangerous. Imy wife doesn't drive it anymore, because it's so scary and we have a newborn baby.i called to dealerships and thy have said the same thing rack and pinion
  • NictaniumNictanium Member Posts: 1

unsafe ride,

G M is a big disappointment for me. I purchased a used Enclave and two months later steering problems began. I now have total loss of power steering at slower speeds. Turning corners are very unsafe and parking lots are difficult also. According to G M service manager this vehicle had steering gear, pump and fluid changed out at 41,990 miles. Now at 72k steering is bad again Buick Customer Assistance, G M Service dept.manager and Dealer manager all said they are unaware of any such problem with Enclaves. How can that be with so many people having the same complaint and a class action law suit in California? I asked Customer Assistance if they will fix the $310.14 steering valve as I am already paying $1,105.41 for an engine oil leak. Their reply was "sorry, you are out of warranty and will be paying for that yourself". I don't expect them to pay for the leak but the steering should be their fix. This will be my last G M vehicle, I wish I had my Toyota back. Will this steering problem turn out to be like their ignition switch problem and take ten years to be resolved? Sorry for being so long winded but I am very disappointed with the vehicle I wanted so badly.

12/28/2015 @gmdisappointed and @scaredmama , sorry to hear you had these problems with your steering. I'm wondering if you were able to get your steering fixed. I don't know if it will help any, but I wanted to let you know my experience.

I bought my 2009 Buick Enclave CXL AWD 57,000 miles at an actual Buick dealership (so I trusted it was reliable) in Auburn, Indiana in January 2015. I told my sales person I had looked for this specific model since we were planning to go on vacation in Seattle Washington in the summer and we wanted the panoramic glass roof in the back for the kids. I brought it in to my local Buick dealer in Lima, OH to check several issues and found out Auburn had sold it with several leaks, including the steering gear (also known as the rack and pinion). Luckily I had a 90 day warranty from the dealership. The Auburn dealership apologized and said please bring it back in and give them a chance to make it right. They fixed several leaks including the transmission cooler lines but not the steering gear. When I went to pick it up, just from looking under the car on the ground it still looked all oily and messy. The Service Writer refused to come out and look at it in the parking lot and said that they were too busy and if I needed anything else done I would have to reschedule for the following week. He had the Service Manager talk to me. I told him that I needed to make the vehicle was right and safe as we were going to be driving 3,000 miles from Ohio to Seattle in the summer. He had a different Service Writer check and talk to me who said that the steering gear was okay, it was just that the transmission cooler lines had leaked down it but those lines were replaced now. So, I brought it back to my local Lima Buick dealer. They checked it again and even gave me pictures of the steering gear actively dripping. My Lima Buick service center said it is a common problem and that they don't fix the steering gear, but they replace it entirely as there is a new improved model of steering gear. At this time in April 2015, there was no recall or extended warranties on the steering gear so that it would cost $1,300. I emailed the leaking pics to the General Manager at the Auburn dealer. The Used Manager and Service Manager said they already completed in good faith repairs and wouldn't fix anything else. I had to complain to the Auburn, IN Buick dealership General Manager that it wasn't a "good faith" repair and point out that it was in their written 90 day warranty and that they were obligated to fix it or they would have a problem. They then agreed to fix it under my extended warranty. They said I had to pay the $100 deductible but that, I could live with.

That wasn't the worse problem though. Buick ruined our family vacation road trip across the country.
    My nightmare with this vehicle came when we drove it from Ohio to Seattle Washington on the vacation we'd been planning for a year. I had the front brakes done, the oil changed and the transmission fluid and filter changed before we left. After a week of driving 3,000 miles to Washington and through mountains the transmission went out on the freeway as we were leaving to head home. With 1 week of vacation left, I was stranded for 10 days while the Chehalis, Washington Buick dealership rebuilt my transmission. Come to find out, this was a known transmission problem, that it's not a pro-active recall, but the repair would be covered under an extended warranty called Special Policy 14404A. I was grateful that the repair would be covered. But then I found out that Buick's policy is to send a letter to owners about this, but that they wouldn't repair it until it breaks down. Then I was disgusted I never received any letter or was notified by either of the two Buick dealers that worked on it. If I would have known I could have just rented a minivan. Since we were out of vacation I had to send my wife and kids home on a plane and drive home by myself while burning 2 days into my 2016 vacation. While I was stuck in Washington I called the Buick corporate customer service line twice. They said they would look into reimbursing me for a rental car, hotel and the plane tickets home but that wouldn't replace half a vacation and our lost vacation days from work. They never called me back. I sent them an email and a express overnight letter and got no response. I hold Buick responsible for not letting me know about this known problem, putting my family at risk driving across the country and then still not doing the right thing. It's a nice riding vehicle but I'm embarrassed that I can't support this American made product. ** The moral of this story is CHECK ANY OUTSTANDING WARRANTIES, RECALLS, SPECIAL POLICIES ETC..., NOT JUST A CARFAX (OR REPORT OF WHAT'S HAPPENED IN THE PAST), BEFORE YOU BUY A VEHICLE !! **
  • nomorebuicknomorebuick Member Posts: 1
    GM - my first time buying American and my last. My 2012 Buick Enclave needs a new rack and pinion. No bpeebles, no one "owes" me anything. I do not live a life of entitlement. But when I pay good money for a car, I expect it to last. Certainly it should last until 100,000 miles without requiring a major safety repair. I was diligent to take my car in for every liquid change, tire change, brake change, etc. Apparently Enclaves have a history of leaking power steering fluid so it should have been the responsibility of the dealership to take care of any known problems. Now, because of their negligence, the leak wore down my rack and pinion. My husband is so disgusted by this I will be selling my Buick and turning by my focus back to the foreign cars that allowed me to run them to 120,000 miles and more. Sorry, GM, but you need to take care of your people if you want them to stay with you. Oh, and by the way, there is a class action lawsuit in progress against GM and their faulty steering systems. Most likely everyone complaining in this forum qualifies. Too bad the consumers never get any money - only the lawyers do. Maybe in the future, GM will consider using their money to fix issues when they appear which would keep customers happy instead of using that money later to pay lawyers and having customers leave them for good. But that would be too logical.
  • americanironamericaniron Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Enclave with 136K km/84K miles. The power steering quits at low speed,revving the engine returns power. I just spoke with dealer service department who tells me there is a letter addressing loss of steering at low speeds and that GM will cover a new power steering pump till 240K km/149K miles or about another year from today (Nov. 7 '16). They also mentioned that if the technician determines my car's issue isn't related to this letter then I'll have to pay for the fix as well as the diagnosis! I can hardly wait.
    It occurs to me that the Japanese car dealers/manufacturers would cover this fix,no questions asked! I've experienced their service. It puzzles me that the North American manufacturers/dealers continue as though there will always be more than enough market share for them so they can afford to lose customers! It doesn't seem to have sunken in that the young people of today are interested in foreign cars more so than we ever were in the last 50 years! Good luck GM and others with this kind of attitude. Don't come looking for a bail-out next time you get your financial house in a mess, you're more likely to get the middle finger.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well consider this---the vehicle is 7 years old and has 84,000 miles on it. The GM letter is a Technical Service Bulletin, not a recall, so it's an advisory notification, meaning that the factory is telling dealers to check and see if the car in question has the problem and qualifies for after-warranty assistance. No reason they can't check the TSB before you take your car in--if your VIN isn't on the list, then perhap you could have it repaired at an Independent shop for a good deal less money.

• americanironamericaniron Member Posts: 2
    Update: Dropped my Enclave at the dealer yesterday,had it booked in for today. Around 10 am they called to let me know that the tech had looked at it and will be replacing the power steering pump as per the bulletin. They also let me know that my stabilizer bar,tie rod ends and struts need replacing. I already knew I'd be replacing those parts and was planning for it so I asked them to just do the pump. Now I'm waiting for them to let me know when it's finished !!! Surprised that it went this smoothly!