Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Acura MDX AWD Price Paid and buying experience

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Cool, congrats on the new MDX!
  • doctor_xdoctor_x Member Posts: 20
    Negotiating a new 2017 MDX AWD base

MSRP: $46,980
    Sales price: $42,400 ( I believe the dealer is including their $589 doc fee in this as it is not showing elsewhere on the worksheet)

Any room there in your opinion?
    Had me wondering - we only show the base in the FWD version and call the "base" AWD a SH-AWD 4dr SUV.

TMV is $44,604 which is about $900 over invoice. Your offer is $1,200 under invoice and about 10% under MSRP.

I think you have done well to get a quote 10% off on an MDX. Doubt that there's much more negotiating room on it. But sure, try to round it down to $42k even.
    You are correct, it is the SH-AWD model, but not tech or advance. Thank you for your reply.
    I have enough trouble keeping up with car names as it is - the alpha/numeric ones are a lost cause even before I think about styles. :)

Please keep us posted!
    We took delivery of the 2017 MDX SH-AWD on Saturday. Our final negotiated sales price was 41,811, or 42,400 including the $589 "doc" fee. Dealer experience was exceptional. I would be happy to PM dealer info to anyone interested.
    edited December 2016
    Congrats!

(to send a message to someone, just click on their name)
  • hooknows3hooknows3 Member Posts: 5
    Hi there. Would love some feedback on this offer.

2017 MDX SH-AWD with Tech Package
    Price: $46,236 + $295 fees = $46,531 before taxes and tags

I'm in VA but the quote is from MD. Anything I need to look out for with purchasing out of state?

I've received quite a few quotes and they're hovering in the $46,531 to $49K range. There hasn't been any active negotiation yet.
    edited December 2016
    hooknows3 said:

Hi there. Would love some feedback on this offer.

2017 MDX SH-AWD with Tech Package
    Price: $46,236 + $295 fees = $46,531 before taxes and tags

I'm in VA but the quote is from MD. Anything I need to look out for with purchasing out of state?

I've received quite a few quotes and they're hovering in the $46,531 to $49K range. There hasn't been any active negotiation yet.

Hi @hooknows3, TMV is $47,339 for the DC area. That's about $400 below invoice and, oh, ~8% below MSRP. All those numbers include destination ($940).

Your quote before fees is around 10% below MSRP and around $1,500 below invoice. A typical range for a good deal is 6 to 12% off MSRP, and the lux imports tend toward the 6 to 8% end of the range.

Those sounds like good quotes to me. Any doc fee over $50 is too high but yours isn't too bad. May as well target $46k OTD and see if you can get a couple of dealers fighting over you.

About buying out of state, the dealer should know how to get the taxes figured out so you aren't double-taxed and they should know how to work with the DMVs in DC/VA/MD, since it's pretty common up there for people to travel out of state to buy.

The one wrinkle that could tag you is that lemon laws usually don't apply to cars purchased out of state. Virginia probably has a lemon law FAQ that will tell you for sure. In any event the risk of getting a lemon is low and you should still have all your warranty rights to rely on if you get a problem child.
    Thank you @stever for the quick and helpful reply!
  • kdredwhykdredwhy Member Posts: 9
    s1000rr1 said:

Just purchased a 2017 MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package for $45,500 before taxes and other gov't fees. SF Bay Area.

HI @s1000rr1 ; can you let me know where you got this deal in bay area. I am looking and hoping the pricing would be attractive as it is end of the year..
  • nuvikasnuvikas Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy MDX SH-AWS with Tech Package in Boston Area so far I have gotten $48,000 as the price before doc fee, tax and tags. Looking for some feedback if someone was able to get similar prices to SF Bay area in MA/NH/RI/CT area.
  • kdredwhykdredwhy Member Posts: 9
    kdredwhy said:

s1000rr1 said:

Just purchased a 2017 MDX SH-AWD with Technology Package for $45,500 before taxes and other gov't fees. SF Bay Area.

HI @s1000rr1 ; can you let me know where you got this deal in bay area. I am looking and hoping the pricing would be attractive as it is end of the year..
    Change of mind..decided to go with fwd/tech. got it for 43,700 +TTL.
    edited January 2017
    @nuvikas, just for a point of reference, TMV for a Boston zip is close to 6% off MSRP. And that's close to your current quote.

I'd try for an "end of the year" price Monday or Tuesday because I think the official year end (at least for Honda) is 1/3/17. Well, strike that, this post says the safer bet is 1/2/17.

8% off would be ~$47,200. Might be the best target for your area.

Good luck!

(any other shoppers in the Northeast with quotes to share?)
  • bsaru96bsaru96 Member Posts: 5
    @Stever,
    I live in Austin, TX and the best price I got was $39,600 + TTL for 2017 MDX Base FWD from Mac Churchill, Dallas, TX. Guess is this is a good price (~12% off MSRP)?
    Planning to go there tomorrow to finalize the deal.

Thanks,
    Saru
    edited January 2017
    Welcome back Saru.

Austin isn't a great car buying area so good for you for shopping Dallas. I think 12% off MSRP for an Acura in Texas is good. Tough market in a lot of ways. You're coming in below both TMV and invoice.

Please report back and let us know how it went. And good luck!
  • patrickdcpatrickdc Member Posts: 3
    I just negotiated the purchase of a 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Tech in the DC area for $45,200, which includes destination. Tax, Tags and $300 dealer fee are extra. Dealer includes free car washes for life and 3 years of oil changes so I felt this was a decent deal. I could not negotiate anything lower than this at the local dealers.
  • srv3srv3 Member Posts: 6
    patrickdc said:
    I just negotiated the purchase of a 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Tech in the DC area for $45,200, which includes destination. Tax, Tags and $300 dealer fee are extra. Dealer includes free car washes for life and 3 years of oil changes so I felt this was a decent deal. I could not negotiate anything lower than this at the local dealers.
    Greetings Patricdc, can you share the dealer as I am in Maryland and looking for AWD with tech package and I guess I have 24 hrs to find a decent deal.
    thank you
    Congrats @patrickdc!
    @srv3 I just tried to message you with the contact info and sales person. Not sure it worked so let me know if you di did not receive it.

We pick up our MDX at 2 pm so looking forward to it. We also added front/rear sensors to our vehicle because my wife wanted them but did not want to pay the 6K for the Advance package, well really 8K, because we need the second row bench and would have to get the entertainment package as well.

Anyway, adding sensors may be an alternative to folks that just want more safety but not the full advance package.
  • srv3srv3 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks patricdc for your message and additional information 
    @srv3 Just picked up the MDX and the process was smooth and I highly recommend them. Note the sales guy threw in a set of all seasons which was great and the 3 years of oil changes was an increase from 2 years, which is their standard package. Good luck hunting.
  • billybob91billybob91 Member Posts: 3
    bsaru96 said:

@Stever,
    I live in Austin, TX and the best price I got was $39,600 + TTL for 2017 MDX Base FWD from Mac Churchill, Dallas, TX. Guess is this is a good price (~12% off MSRP)?

Thanks,
    Saru

How did it go? I am also in the DFW area looking for the base FWD MDX. The best offer I've been able to secure is 43.5K OTD, but that was before the new year. Not sure if the offer is still available.
    Is now still a good time to negotiate for a 2017 MDX?
  • general101general101 Member Posts: 5
    bsaru96 said:

@Stever,

Thanks,
    Saru

Saru,

That looks like a terrific deal and good decision to buy in Dallas instead of Austin. I live in Austin too and the best deal we could find for the base model was in San Antonio and we paid $41700 + TTL (original MSRP+destination fee was $44890, so $3200 discount = $41700).

So your $39600 is $2000 cheaper.

We also spent $2500 in add-ons including mats, body side molds etc - basic stuff like spare tire does not come with the vehicle and they charge $700 for it!
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    Love this forum. This forum was the key to me negotiating a good price when I bought a 2010 MDX. Now, I am ready to replace my 2010 with a 2017. I am looking for the best price on a base model MDX with AWD. (I plan to add all weather mats and remove start but will just add those costs on). I am in a small market and it was worth the 4 hr drive to the DC area last time to save $3,000.

What is the absolute best price anyone has gotten on a base MDX w/ AWD? Anyone know of any rebates or incentives coming within next 3 to 6 months? Thanks
    I have a quote for base MDX w/SHAWD for $42,000. This is from a dealership near DC.
    dvrice said:

I have a quote for base MDX w/SHAWD for $42,000. This is from a dealership near DC.

That's not a bad offer. I just purchased the base FWD for $43,000 out the door (so about $40,200 sales price). I think the AWD goes for about 2k more than the FWD option.
  • nuvikasnuvikas Member Posts: 5
    stever said:

@nuvikas, just for a point of reference, TMV for a Boston zip is close to 6% off MSRP. And that's close to your current quote.

I'd try for an "end of the year" price Monday or Tuesday because I think the official year end (at least for Honda) is 1/3/17. Well, strike that, this post says the safer bet is 1/2/17.

8% off would be ~$47,200. Might be the best target for your area.

Good luck!

(any other shoppers in the Northeast with quotes to share?)

Thanks @Stever. I was able to get a price of $47,100 including the mud flaps, wheel locks, all weather floor mats and cargo cover included. Happy with the purchase in the Boston market.
    Just took delivery of a 2017 MDX AH-AWD with Tech package.

$45,950 pre-tags, tax etc.
    $48,000 OTD

Thanks to @stever and everyone on this helpful forum!
    The $42,000 quote was missing the destination fee. I negotiated with 4 different dealers and the final all-in cost quote for the 2017 AWD base model is $43,000 + TTL. I then added all weather mats, trifold cargo tray, and remote start for $1,000. Final price was $44,000 + TTL with the add one. I think that is a pretty good price because a couple local dealers refused to even match the price. An added bonus was that the dealer I purchased from gave me nearly $2,000 more for my 2010 MDX versus what the other dealers were offering on trade in. All in all, I think I got at least a competitive price and we absolutely love the 2017 MDX!
  • justinlangerjustinlanger Member Posts: 1
    Newbie here..I got internet quote for 2017 mdx FWD with advance and entertainment packages: $52600 + fees. The dealer is saying finding a car with this package and colors (modern steel + Graystone) is very difficult and may need to wait couple of months to get it here in SoCal. Is this price good? Does it make sense to wait couple of months and see if there will be any incentives offered around March?
  • geneleegenelee Member Posts: 5
    Hi Steve and all others, I just started quoting the price for MDX AWD base model, I am in Boston area, the first round of offers are all in the higher $43000 range before any TTL. Is it an OK price? Anyone else also in Boston area looking for the same car? Thank you in advance!
  • vinlee48973vinlee48973 Member Posts: 1
    Boston lease...

'17 MDX AWD Base: 43,000 w/ mats and wheel locks
    '17 MDX AWD Tech: 47,000 w/ mats and wheel locks
    + tax, title, fees

Sound about right?
  • crruizcrruiz Member Posts: 1
    My wife bought about 4 weeks ago a 17' MDX SH AWD with Tech package for $46,000 plus tax and title and 350 doc. fee. I just thought I would share that so it can help everyone negotiate there deal. I got the info on this forum to help me negotiate ours. Thanks and good luck.
  • audifanboiaudifanboi Member Posts: 21
    Anyone here do better than 12% off MSRP? Including Destination that is...
  • dputcardputcar Member Posts: 1
    Looking to take  advantage of presidents day specials. Hoping to pick up an all-wheel-drive with technology package in the DC area.  Does anyone know where @patrickdc or @sekhar got their great deals? 
  • rgny100rgny100 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have any luck with NYC dealerships?
    Looking for a AWD with tech package.
  • kittu05kittu05 Member Posts: 2
    I received a quote from dealer (Zip code: 78750) for 2017 MDX + SH-AWD + Tech with following Accessories: Fog lights + Body side molding + Splash guards + Parking sensors + Cargo cover for $53000 OTD. Is this a good deal?
  • asterix4asterix4 Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2017
    I'm based in San Diego, CA. I'm looking to buy a new 2017 MDX AWD.
    So far the best offer I've received is 42,125, with an OTD price of 45,884. I think that this is a good price but I want to hear other people's opinions.
    What are the main components of the price, other than tax. Please help.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    asterix4 said:

So far the best offer I've received is 42,125, with an OTD price of 45,884. I think that this is a good price but I want to hear other people's opinions.

In CA, DMV fees are about 1.1% of MSRP ($500-$550 or so)
    Dealer doc fees are restricted to $80, by statute.

That's about it, unless you ask, or agree to extras.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 07s2krgr07s2krgr Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I am based in Dallas, TX and just got back from Vandergriff Acura and was offered $56,150 OTD for a 2017 SHAWD MDX with Advance package. They tried to tell me that every vehicle that comes through the dealership automatically gets the Skylink device installed, wheel locks, tint and nitrogen regardless of model. They also told me that the Luxury package cannot be removed,which makes zero since because mats can easily just be pulled out as opposed to tint and the Skylink. Is this a good deal and if not what price should I look to pay for what I am looking for? Thank you all in advance for any assistance.
  • champuchampu Member Posts: 3
    crruiz said:

My wife bought about 4 weeks ago a 17' MDX SH AWD with Tech package for $46,000 plus tax and title and 350 doc. fee. I just thought I would share that so it can help everyone negotiate there deal. I got the info on this forum to help me negotiate ours. Thanks and good luck.

Hi, would you please let me know with the dealer name? or zipcode of the dealer. In the market (Boston area) for MDX AWD with Tech, but not able to get quote closer to yours. Appreciate your help. Thanks
  • antons911antons911 Member Posts: 66
    Anyone had any luck in Pacific northwest? I can't even get invoice, but with third month of falling sales in US I think they will start budging soon.
  • mclovin3mclovin3 Member Posts: 1
    Live in North Carolina. Does anyone have a recent out the door cost they could share with me for a 2017 MDX AWD with Tech. I could go to NC, SC, Virginia, Georgia or Tennesee if you have heard of better pricing.
  • vijaanan026vijaanan026 Member Posts: 1
    @mclovin3, Did you get any quotes recently or bought the vehicle. I'm also looking for 2017 MDX AWD with Tech and live in Atlanta.
  • silverdotmesilverdotme Member Posts: 1
    asterix4 said:

Any package included? I'm in the OC area and so far getting a quote for $46,450 for AWD w/ Tech package. We are looking to execute within a week or a month.
  • mdxtech2017mdxtech2017 Member Posts: 1
    Where you get 48K OTD? Th x
  • lookin4deallookin4deal Member Posts: 3
    Anyone get $6500 or better off MSRP for a basic MDX AWD in SF Bayarea or California? If so, would you be so kinds as to let me know which dealership?
  • gyro123gyro123 Member Posts: 2
    Picked up 2017 MDX AWD with Tech for 45100 + TTL at a local SF bay area dealer in CA. Paid additional $100 for wheel locks.