Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Honda Accord Deals and Prices

Comments

• rick2017accordrick2017accord Member Posts: 3
    stever said:

Congrats @rick2017accord!

This is an example of how I get into trouble @katanadc. I think Rick's Accord has an MSRP of $27,365, and he got ~20% off MSRP. The doc fee was a bit high and maybe the dealer lowballed some on the trade-in (unlikely on a 11 year old, way miled up car, even if it was a Honda). Not to mention that NC isn't known for exceptional Honda deals. That sounds killer @rick2017accord.

Hi Steve. I messed up. It was an LX and not an EX. Didn't intend to mislead, my eyes were simply spinning from reading the forums. Could you redo your analysis. :smile:
  • katanadckatanadc Member Posts: 2
    stever said:

katanadc said:

Looking for some feedback on my quote. I think I can do better?

Accord Sport Sedan CVT

Sales price: 21,235
    Tax: 8.75% (So Cal)
    OTD: 23,450

Better? Not really (but I tend to underestimate sometimes). Your quote is almost 15% off MSRP. TMV for LA is more like 10% off MSRP. So your $21k number sounds good.
    Thanks @stever . I was shooting for 15% off MSRP and was hopping to get it down to at least 21k.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2016

stever said:

This is an example of how I get into trouble @katanadc. I think Rick's Accord has an MSRP of $27,365, and he got ~20% off MSRP. The doc fee was a bit high and maybe the dealer lowballed some on the trade-in (unlikely on a 11 year old, way miled up car, even if it was a Honda). Not to mention that NC isn't known for exceptional Honda deals. That sounds killer @rick2017accord.

Hi Steve. I messed up. It was an LX and not an EX. Didn't intend to mislead, my eyes were simply spinning from reading the forums. Could you redo your analysis. :smile:
    I did wonder if there was a misprint somewhere. B)

Your price looks more like a "low normal" price of ~12% off MSRP. I figure MSRP is $23,990 and your selling price is around $21,172. TMV is $21,198.

Low normal is good since a high normal price would be 6 to 8% off MSRP.

Next time complain about the doc fee. Anything over $50 is too much. Well, you don't have to complain too much, just knock some of that down, figure in the taxes and get an OTD number you are comfortable with and negotiate on that.
    btw everyone, all the numbers I post in here (MSRP, Invoice and True Market Value) include the destination.
  • Newownder2017lxNewownder2017lx Member Posts: 1
    Hi I just bought a 2017 Honda accord LX from Bay Area CA.
    Price: 19,600
    Doc Fee: 80
    Dealer fee: 271
    tax
    OTD: 21,829

Is this a good deal?
  • ghost_207ghost_207 Member Posts: 4
    katanadc said:

Accord Sport Sedan CVT

Can you send me your dealer info?? I been trying for 23000 out the door for weeks and the lowest i got was 23800 with the pro package.

Hi I just bought a 2017 Honda accord LX from Bay Area CA.
    Price: 19,600
    Doc Fee: 80
    Dealer fee: 271
    tax
    OTD: 21,829

Is this a good deal?

Hi @Newownder2017lx, welcome. MSRP is $23,990 and TMV for San Fran is $21,327. So you purchased well under the average price paid and about 19% off MSRP.

That's very good. And you get to enjoy those fixed low doc fees out in Cali., although I'm not sure what the dealer fee is. Most likely that's just another way for them to say profit, and on this deal, the dealer needs all the profit they can get. :)

Congrats on the LX!
    Hm, since California limits doc fees to $80 I'm wondering what the story is on the $271 dealer fee. You may want to ask the dealer and if it seems dicey, you could ask the consumer protection people to check it out.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    stever said:

Hm, since California limits doc fees to $80 I'm wondering what the story is on the $271 dealer fee. You may want to ask the dealer and if it seems dicey, you could ask the consumer protection people to check it out.

$271 looks like the right amount for DMV fees in CA.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Ah good, getting paranoid about "dealer" fees again. ;)
  • rick2017accordrick2017accord Member Posts: 3
    stever said:

stever said:

I did wonder if there was a misprint somewhere. B)

Your price looks more like a "low normal" price of ~12% off MSRP. I figure MSRP is $23,990 and your selling price is around $21,172. TMV is $21,198.

Low normal is good since a high normal price would be 6 to 8% off MSRP.

Next time complain about the doc fee. Anything over $50 is too much. Well, you don't have to complain too much, just knock some of that down, figure in the taxes and get an OTD number you are comfortable with and negotiate on that.
    Thanks Stever! They basically gave me approximately $400 for the trade-in if you take out $350 from the bogus DOC. I knew that when I made the purchase.

At the time I bought the car (Oct of 2016), I recall the TMV being about $700 higher but I don't recall for certain. The TMV fluctuates correct?

Truth be told, I was willing to give them the trade in car so I didn't have to get rid of it some other way. I was just focusing on the OTD price while knowing the DOC was a way to shift the price.

Thanks for the response!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, TMV can change within a week. Usually prices just trend up and down more gradually though.

We love educated shoppers who do their research, you done good!
  • selena2selena2 Member Posts: 4
    How is 25K even OTD for a 2017 EX CVT Basque Red Pearl, includes mud guards and roof visor in Atlanta area??
    edited December 2016
    Looks like your tax rate is 7%?

Backing that out, your selling price is approximately $23,250.

That compares pretty good to the True Market Value average price paid for your area which is $24,042.

Your price is about $1,200 below invoice and is almost 15% below the MSRP (~$27,365).

So I think that's good, and I ignored the values of the mud guards and visor.
  • selena2selena2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Stever, I appreciate your quick response, you are amazing!!
  • adnansajid33adnansajid33 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Stever thanks for your help earlier. I decided to go for the 2017 accord ex-l with honda sensing and navigation. A dealer sent me the following: The msrp for this new 2017 Accord model is $31,655. (*as factory equipped-options additional*) and your net Internet sell price is $27,499.,* including Honda destination ($860.).....which is <-$523.00> BELOW invoice* sell pricing. Based on this, the total out the door figure you requested is $30,718.84 (*options additional*).

He also said that Common items additionally installed on our in stock vehicles are: window tinting ($299.), stone/splash guards ($150.), trunk liner ($150.), nitrogen in the tires ($89.95) and wheel locks ($75.). Incoming Accord models have nothing additional installed until after they have safe/pre-delivery reviewed.

Are these add-on prices any good?
  • andreaaesandreaaes Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to provide an update.  Purchased a 2017 EX L (no sensing or nav) today in Dallas, TX area.

Dealer Price with add-ons and destination fee - 24,698
    Doc Fee - 150
    Sales Tax - 1400.88
    Registration and Title -143.50
    Other Fees -61.75
    Total before trade in 26,454.13
    Tade In Value - 3,0000 (2007 EX L with a lot of hail damage)
    Final Price 23,454.13

The dealership probably got me on the add-ons, but another dealership had a similar deal for 2500+ more(including trade in). They basically refused to match a competitors quote. Recv quotes from two other dealerships that were 100 to 788 more than the dealership I purchased from. May have been able to get some money off the add ons if I pushed, but overall I'm happy with the deal.

edited December 2016
    @adnansajid33, we show the same MSRP. Invoice is $29,021. Guess there's a typo somewhere, since the internet price is really ~$1,500 below invoice. That selling price is about 13% off MSRP.

You can go to this link (HandA Accessories) and price out the accessories. The mud guards, liner and wheel locks all sound a bit overpriced. The nitrogen in the tires is completely worthless.

All in all though, pretty good numbers.
  • hondax4hondax4 Member Posts: 24
    I was looking for 2017 Accord Sport SE in Houston. Decided to hold off purchase until summer but thought I would post offers from Giillman one of the largest of 14 dealers in S.E. TX
    Honda Accord LX cvt 19,694
    Sport- 21573.
    Sport SE- 22485

Destination included but would add titles doc fee. This was general inquiry and so could do better on any of these. Some really good deals being posted.

Thanks, wonder if those deals are similar for CR-Vs. I'll recommend your post to someone shopping in Austin.
  • carsontscarsonts Member Posts: 4
    stever said:

carsonts said:

First, I want to say thank you for the insights into how to deal for a new car. I live in the Phoenix, AZ area. Just got an offer on a 2017 Accord Touring for $30,500 before TTL. MSRP was $35,665. I also was able to get 50% off dealer installed options (not sure if that is good or not). I sign tonight!

That price is a bit better than 14% off your MSRP and the deal on the accessories is good too. Are you cruising in your new ride today?
    Loving it so far!
  • everest77everest77 Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the Nashville, TN area looking for a honda accord ex-l hybrid. If the invoice with destination is $30,922, should I try getting $1000-$2000 under? I'm very inexperienced with purchasing new cars. I've been reading the forums, and appreciate any info.
    edited December 2016
    Hi @everest77, welcome. Tennessee isn't a hotbed of Honda deals in my experience (used to live in Chattanooga and prices seem high over your way when I visit family there). The True Market Value average price paid for your area is $30,662, about $300 below invoice.

Since TMV is an average, $1,000 off invoice should be doable. $2,000 off may not be. But you may as well target a good number and work your way up. 15% off the MSRP ($33,740 with destination) would be $28,700, around $2,200 below invoice. Maybe shoot for $29k, ~14% off MSRP.

First get some quotes though and see what kind of offers are out there.

• andreaaesandreaaes Member Posts: 4
    Adding to my post in case people in Dallas, Texas area want info.

Purchased my car from Honda Auto Nation in Lewisville (see earlier post above for details). Package included tint, trunk tray, wheel locks, pinstripe, splash guards, door edge guards and door handle cup guards.

John Eagle Honda - OTD quote including trade in 26K (same dealer package Auto Nation, only diff is John Eagle included nitrogen in tires)

David McDavid Honda - 26,620.32 OTD, not including trade in (package - cargo tray, splash guards, wheel locks and pinstripe)

Huggins Honda - 27,242.58 OTD, not including trade in (package - tint, wheel locks, splash guards, cargo tray, pinstripe, nitrogen, paint and fabric protection)

Good Luck! If you have patience (which I don't) you can get a better deal towards the end of the week. Still kicking myself over the package. Should have tried to get the price down at least another 300. The markup on add-ons is ridiculous.
  • admatheadmathe Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2016
    On 12/23 for 2017 Honda Accord Sedan LX CVT w/Honda Sensing at Freeman Honda in Dallas, TX I got:
    Sales Price:$20,667.08
    Drive Out:$ 22,348.24

I negotiated price strictly over email, which was nice. Emailed 8 different dealerships, got price offers from 4 or 5 of them. I went all the way out to 'effing Rockwall to check out a 2016 model and the asshats couldn't do better than 23,000 drive out. I showed them the email about the 2017, same model, they insisted they couldn't do better price for the 2016. "Any less and we lose money," they said. It was weird, but whatever, I got the deal at Freeman so I walked away happy.
    Congrats! And good for walking - feet make great negotiating tools.
  • everest77everest77 Member Posts: 5
    i am in Nashville, TN area, and am looking for a honda accord hybrid ex-l. I was going to pay cash, but was told not to, because the price would be lower with honda financing due to $1600 dealer cash.

One of the quotes I received was for accord hybrid ex-l with mud flaps, stripe, wheel locks, rear cargo tray, paint protection and interior protection for $27950 + 499 dealer doc fee + tax , title and registration.

Another dealer has offered $28423 plus installed options and fees ( I've asked to get clarity on the installed options and fees), and said the price would be $26823 plus installed options and fees if I financed through Honda finance.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • cbdeka19cbdeka19 Member Posts: 2
    ghost_207 said:

katanadc said:

Accord Sport Sedan CVT

Can you send me your dealer info?? I been trying for 23000 out the door for weeks and the lowest i got was 23800 with the pro package.
    Same here! I went looking at a sport today in socal as a first time buyer and got a 28000 OTD w/o pro package. I had to walk after 4 hours. I did email a couple of places around me that have some offers at 21/22k but thats before fees and everything.
  • strombolistevestrombolisteve Member Posts: 7
    Happy new year everyone!

Massachusetts (hopeful) buyer looking for an accord ex or exI I suppose if the deals are crazy enough! 

Any experiences in the Boston general area?  Would 23k otd be feasible for the ex? (I also have a 2010 Nissan Altima S w/ 71k miles im hoping to get 6k trade on)
  • chowee21chowee21 Member Posts: 8
    New 2017 Accord EX-L
    $24400 OTD (excluding tax)

Good deal?
    edited December 2016
    If we've missed anyone, please repost or PM/email or otherwise bump us and hopefully someone will pop in with comments. Lots of distractions going on this week. :)

I think I missed congratulating you @andreaaes and thanks for posting the details about your deal.
    everest77 said:

i am in Nashville, TN area, and am looking for a honda accord hybrid ex-l. I was going to pay cash, but was told not to, because the price would be lower with honda financing due to $1600 dealer cash.

One of the quotes I received was for accord hybrid ex-l with mud flaps, stripe, wheel locks, rear cargo tray, paint protection and interior protection for $27950 + 499 dealer doc fee + tax , title and registration.

Another dealer has offered $28423 plus installed options and fees ( I've asked to get clarity on the installed options and fees), and said the price would be $26823 plus installed options and fees if I financed through Honda finance.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dealers make money putting loans together so that's another reason that cash isn't king anymore.

I don't think paint protection or interior protection are worth paying for (basically they get a lot of money for wax and Scotchgard).

Lower is better. :)
    Been getting any decent quotes @strombolisteve?

Any other Mass buyers lurking, please report on your numbers. Signing up is easy and we won't spam you.
    edited January 2017
    chowee21 said:

New 2017 Accord EX-L
    $24400 OTD (excluding tax)

Good deal?

Hi @chowee21, invoice is $27,197, MSRP is $29,655 and TMV for a random zip code is $26,552. So TMV is about 10% off MSRP and about $700 below invoice.

We've some deals on the new Accords go for 13 to 15% or so below MSRP. Kind of depends on your area. Could be "good" if you are somewhere like Louisiana or in some more rural areas of the country.

You can plug your zip code in at this link and play with the numbers a bit. The idea is to beat TMV since it's an average.
  • cbdeka19cbdeka19 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2016
    What's a good otd price for a ex-l in 90745? The dealer asked me in an email what I was looking to pay otd . I was originally looking at sports but have no idea about the average price for an ex-l, also this is with sensing and navigation 
  • robta4444robta4444 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2016
    I found this forum and the posts very helpful so I want to share my deal.  Purchased a 2017 Accord Sport SE yesterday, Dec 28.  Cincinnati, Oh zip 45255.  

MSRP with destination was $27,050

Selling price with destination was $22,354.50
    Doc fee was $250 (capped at 250 in OH)
    Title and registration was $55.50
    Tax was $1340 (KY resident, 6%)
    Out the door was $24,000

I spent about 3 days working several dealers in the Cincinnati area, all via email.  Used Edmund's and Truecar as starting points for pricing inquiries.  Every quote through those services came back over $25,000 plus fees and TTL except one which quoted $23,052 plus fees and TTL.  I worked that dealer down to $22,704 via email and then a different one beat that to $22,594. I took that offer and another dealer's email that he'd beat any deal by $250 to a place I bought an Odyssey from 3 years ago. Did the test drive, made it clear I wanted my current best offer of $24,000 OTD beat.  Sales mgr came out and gave me the run around about his pricing compared to others  blah blah blah. So I got up and walked out. Drove across town to the dealer I wanted to buy from from the beginning and had confirmed over the phone that they would match any deal in writing and was out with my new car a couple hours later.  

Loving the car so far.  Good luck to all!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    robta4444 said:

I found this forum and the posts very helpful so I want to share my deal.  Purchased a 2017 Accord Sport SE yesterday, Dec 28.  Cincinnati, Oh zip 45255.  

MSRP with destination was $27,050

Selling price with destination was $22,354.50
    Doc fee was $250 (capped at 250 in OH)
    Title and registration was $55.50
    Tax was $1340 (KY resident, 6%)
    Out the door was $24,000

I spent about 3 days working several dealers in the Cincinnati area, all via email.  Used Edmond's and Truecar as starting points for pricing inquiries.  Every quote through those services came back over $25,000 plus fees and TTL except one which quoted $23,052 plus fees and TTL.  I worked that dealer down to $22,704 via email and then a different one beat that to $22,594. I took that offer and another dealer's email that he'd beat any deal by $250 to a place I bought an Odyssey from 3 years ago. Did the test drive, made it clear I wanted my current best offer of $24,000 OTD beat.  Sales mgr came out and gave me the run around about his pricing compared to others  blah blah blah. So I got up and walked out. Drove across town to the dealer I wanted to buy from from the beginning and had confirmed over the phone that they would match any deal in writing and was out with my new car a couple hours later.  

Loving the car so far.  Good luck to all!

Congrats! Which dealer?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

cbdeka19 said:

What's a good otd price for a ex-l in 90745? The dealer asked me in an email what I was looking to pay otd . I was originally looking at sports but have no idea about the average price for an ex-l, also this is with sensing and navigation 

Hi @cbdeka19, 4 cylinder I assume.

For Cali, I add 10% for taxes and fees to get an approximate OTD price.

Invoice is $29,021, MSRP is $31,655 and the True Market Value for your zip is $28,434.

So 10% on top of the TMV average equals $31,277.

But we want to beat the average. TMV is about 10% off MSRP.

15% off MSRP would be $26,900, add in 10% and you'd be at $29,590 OTD. Somewhere around there would be a nice OTD target for your zip. I think @robta4444's deal (congrats!) was between 14 and 15% off MSRP.

The usual recommendation is to let the dealer give out a number first. But in this case, a 15% offer is within reason while letting the dealer know you are looking for a deal.

• brett1234brett1234 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, happy for any help you guys can provide! Looking to buy a 2017 Accord Sport special edition with manual transmission. I live in CT, around 06824 area code. Haven't seen too many postings yet on this forum from CT buyers. I can also get to NY to purchase, not sure of which state is better tax and fee-wise. E-mailed a few local companies using the Edmunds price promise feature, and have an offer from a local CT dealer for $23120 plus tax and registration. Is that good? What amount should I be shooting for, and which state is better for me to buy in, NY or CT? Thanks!!
  • rogersterlingrogersterling Member Posts: 7
    I'm probably going to try for a deal tomorrow on a 2017 EX-L w/ Nav & Sensing, so wanted to see what you think of a quote I received. I am in 30064 (Atlanta area).

MSRP is $31655
    Sales price before any fees or add-ons is $26594
    $996 in accessories+$599 admin fee+taxes = $30334 OTD

I didn't request any of the accessories, so I'm going to ask for those to be removed. The accessories are mudguards, wheel locks, trunk tray, door film, window tint = $996.

Is there any scenario where accessories are 'locked in' and can't be removed? If they insist they can't change the accessories are they telling the truth? They have 3 cars with the trim/color I want and assume they won't all have the same accessories.

I want to take advantage of the 0.9% financing offer out there, do you know what documents finance will typically need (pay stubs, W2, etc) to approve?

Thanks!
  • friarfunkfriarfunk Member Posts: 19
    edited December 2016
    When I was shopping earlier this month, no dealer was willing to remove those kinds of accessories. However, a lot of places were willing to cut their charges for them in half or so. I ended up choosing a dealer that didn't add dealer options anyway, but you can always ask for a price cut.

I also just got the 0.9% financing. All we had to do was fill out a basic credit application, which took about 10 minutes. If your credit score isn't a slam dunk, they might ask for that stuff, but I don't think it's usually required.
  • cls061cls061 Member Posts: 11
    As far as the 0.9% financing, the dealer I was working with told me they will approve 0.9% with a credit score of 670 or higher. So take that for what it's worth.
  • rogersterlingrogersterling Member Posts: 7
    friarfunk said:

When I was shopping earlier this month, no dealer was willing to remove those kinds of accessories. However, a lot of places were willing to cut their charges for them in half or so. I ended up choosing a dealer that didn't add dealer options anyway, but you can always ask for a price cut.

I also just got the 0.9% financing. All we had to do was fill out a basic credit application, which took about 10 minutes. If your credit score isn't a slam dunk, they might ask for that stuff, but I don't think it's usually required.

Thanks for the reply. Some dealers push those accessories, some don't it looks like. The financing sounds pretty straight forward. Didn't know what to expect, when I got a mortgage last year they asked for everything but the kitchen sink!
    edited December 2016
    brett1234 said:

Hi, happy for any help you guys can provide! Looking to buy a 2017 Accord Sport special edition with manual transmission. I live in CT, around 06824 area code. Haven't seen too many postings yet on this forum from CT buyers. I can also get to NY to purchase, not sure of which state is better tax and fee-wise. E-mailed a few local companies using the Edmunds price promise feature, and have an offer from a local CT dealer for $23120 plus tax and registration. Is that good? What amount should I be shooting for, and which state is better for me to buy in, NY or CT? Thanks!!

Hi @brett1234,

My guess is that NY prices are a little better but it may just boil down to finding the right dealer.

The True Market Value average price paid for a Hartford zip is $23,932, which is a tad less than 9% off the MSRP of $26,250.

I would aim for 15% off MSRP for the selling price - your current quote is about 12% off MSRP.

You'll probably hear "the manual is rare and in demand, so we can't go any lower".

And when you go to trade it in, you'll hear "we can't sell manuals, everyone wants automatics". ;)

Best bet is to shop that $23k quote around and see if $22,300 is doable.
    edited December 2016

I'm probably going to try for a deal tomorrow on a 2017 EX-L w/ Nav & Sensing, so wanted to see what you think of a quote I received. I am in 30064 (Atlanta area).

MSRP is $31655
    Sales price before any fees or add-ons is $26594
    $996 in accessories+$599 admin fee+taxes = $30334 OTD

I didn't request any of the accessories, so I'm going to ask for those to be removed. The accessories are mudguards, wheel locks, trunk tray, door film, window tint = $996.

Is there any scenario where accessories are 'locked in' and can't be removed? If they insist they can't change the accessories are they telling the truth? They have 3 cars with the trim/color I want and assume they won't all have the same accessories.

I want to take advantage of the 0.9% financing offer out there, do you know what documents finance will typically need (pay stubs, W2, etc) to approve?

Thanks!

Hi Roger, welcome,

Your quote without the accessories is good, about 13% off your MSRP. The accessories are overpriced and look like a lot of extra dealer profit. The admin fee is overpriced by $545 too.

You don't care if they remove the accessories or not. Just tell them your number is $26.5 plus taxes and let them stew. If they don't budge, I'd relax and start over with some more quotes. It's just a car and there will be some kind of deals on them next month.

If they insist that the tint is most of the accessories cost, tell them that you have a guy at a tint shop that will put a better tint on for less money, but it's costing you more because they'll have to remove the dealer tint they stuck on. :)
  • brett1234brett1234 Member Posts: 2
    stever said:

brett1234 said:

@Stever said

Best bet is to shop that $23k quote around and see if $22,300 is doable.

Thanks Stever- that sounds like a great plan. Thanks for the advice- I'll let you know how it goes!
    Good luck!
  • r_dewsr_dews Member Posts: 7
    I sent out a group of emails last night to some MD dealerships and got a dealer to agree to $24,500 OTD on a 2017 Accord Sport SE (including remote engine start which is not standard on the vehicle). I'm waiting to hear back from another dealer who is trying to see if they can beat that price.
  • pistonhondakopistonhondako Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2016
    Longtime lurker here. Thanks to everyone for posting. I'll now post my unsuccessful attempt. I'm in Northern California, looking for a 2017 Honda Accord EX CVT. I don't need to buy one, but if the deal was priced right, then I would pull the trigger and buy it.

Visited one dealer today armed with the research and prices that everyone has posted. I wanted it to be quick - either I buy it or not. I knew things would go badly when I told the salesperson, "I don't want to waste your time" and they replied with a smile, "But you already are".

Their first offer was at MSRP + unnecessary warranties + taxes/doc/registration + accessories, for a grand total of $34K. I told them that it was way more than I was expecting. They kept on pressing me for a number. I gave them a number based on rick2017accord's posting (which I now see was later corrected as an LX!!!). The manager came over and we had an unpleasant conversation. He said they are trying to run a business and can't go under invoice, which he showed me.

The Edmunds TMV for my area is $24335, which is under the invoice he showed me.

The manager acted offended by my initial price, and I acted equally offended by their initial price. In the end we parted ways. So much for negotiation! Still undecided on whether to look at other makes/models, or wait until the 2018 Accord.

Edit: One interesting anecdote: The manager, who sat a distance away, said he heard our initial conversation with the salesperson. Given the background noise, it would be hard to do. Maybe there was a microphone in the office that he listens in on? (Or maybe I misheard him and he didn't say that)
    edited December 2016
    I've heard stories where the phones at the salesperson's desks are often left on in some sort of speaker mode. Hard to say.

The local Buick dealer new car sales manager seemed a bit offended when I countered his offer by $2,500 a while back. Said he wasn't getting into his holdback. I didn't even mention holdback or act like an experienced buyer. Maybe both our guys had some spoiled leftover pizza for breakfast!

Sometimes dummy invoices get pulled out too.

One response to the invoice argument is that it doesn't mean anything any more. And it's true, with all the bonuses and spiffs, it really doesn't mean much.

Surprising tips for car shopping in Internet age (USA Today)