Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tires & Wheels -Sienna - wider wheels

new_onenew_one Member Posts: 7
edited January 2017 in Toyota
Has anyone ever installed/tested 17x7.5/Offset:40mm rims with standard 235/60/R17 tires on the latest (2016/17) Sienna FWD LE?

If yes, did you ever experience any type of rubbing in any driving conditions?

The reason I am asking is that the published wheel width limit is 6.5-7" here: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/sienna/2017/... and I am going to exceed it by 0.5".

I also understood that 17" OEM wheels come of the following standard: 17x7/Offset:35mm.

Thank you guys in advance for replies and/or references to similar discussion threads.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302
    You really won't know without test-fitting.
    There is also a backspacing measurement.

Why take a chance on a relatively new vehicle?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks kyfdx,
    As I could understand "test-fitting" is a special tool, correct?
    If so, do you mean that some wheel models of the same full set of published parameters may fit ideally (will never cause any problems) and some may cause problems? In other words, do you mean that: you will never be sure of a wider rim model until you have vehicle, rims and test-fitting to check if they match?

From the other hand: is "test-fitting" is thoroughly enough to answer the question OR driving tests will require as well?

Let me also ask if “Rim & Tire Size Calculator” like the one here: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/ can worth to use at all?

I am asking all this as I wanted to buy new rims to be installed by the dealership before the minivan goes out to the road for the first time.
  • Options
    Test fitting: Taking off your tire/rim, and putting on the new tire/rim to see how it fits.

Yes... there could be rims with the same specs you've listed, that will not fit your vehicle.

Is your plan to buy aftermarket rims/tires from a third party? On a Sienna? For what reason?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    First I will need a second set of winter tires on wheels.

Second I wanted to have a better looking (than original Toyota rims) third party rims to be used for summer.

Third I thought: Why wouldn’t I use original Toyota wheels with winter tires and better-looking-third-party wheels with summer/all-season tires?

Toyota sales manager does not mind to switch/install wheels and tires as I prefer if I make sure myself that new 0.5"-wider rims will not cause any problems.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    edited January 2017
    No way to know for sure without putting them on and subjecting the car to a full range of suspension and steering movements, something very difficult to do. And even if they fit, they could put stress on the wheel bearings if the offset is different than stock. Between the risk of tires rubbing and incorrect offset, no way I'd risk it just for something different.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Getting offset right can be tricky. I always remembered that more than 5mm offset deviation from stock was not recommended, in either direction. Positive offset is more dangerous than negative offset.
  • Options
    If going aftermarket, It's hard to go wrong picking from the choices that Tire Rack has for your car. Stick with stock tire sizes. At least they will guarantee they will fit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Some folks like the "deep dish" look and that's why they go offset.
  • Options
    Hi texases and others,

I did not take into account the factor of "extra stress on the wheel bearings if the offset is different than stock", which is surely makes sense.

But can we actually trust to this website https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/sienna/2017/
    ...which says "Offset (mm): 35 - 45" ?

Can anyone answer if it represents Toyota's official specification or not?

And then, if it can be trusted as Toyota’s official specification, shall I interpret this 35 – 45 offset range as allowable or recommended?

If it cannot be fully trusted, can anyone send me a link on a more reliable specification (if exists)?

Thank you in advance.

• Options
    I don't think Toyota is going to recommend a 45 mm offset, that's pretty certain.

The manufacturer selling you the wheel should be able to give you the proper offset specs and backspacing specs for your particular vehicle. That's their job and their expertise.

And yes, negative offset will stress the stub axles and bearings, and if your tire protrudes beyond the fender borders, then you'll be illegal and will have to install wheel flares.
  • Options
    IMHO, going wider on a FWD vehicle is just asking for trouble. Do you already own tires/wheels in this size, and are trying to use them on this vehicle?

If not, then keep searching until you find something you like in the proper size.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    After searching for hours and hours I can surely say that there is simply no aftermarket wheels with the following parameters:
    17x7/Offset:35, PCD 5x114.3
    It seems this is the final point we have approached and there is nothing to discuss.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    What wheels does tire rack list? I'd trust their choices. 
  • Options
    new_one said:

After searching for hours and hours I can surely say that there is simply no aftermarket wheels with the following parameters:
    It seems this is the final point we have approached and there is nothing to discuss.

Let's start over.

First, the link in your original post gives the wrong information for the 2017 Sienna with 17" wheels. The stock OEM wheel is actually 17 X 7.5", not 17 X 7".

Tirerack.com shows 50 (50!!) aftermarket wheels that they guarantee will fit your vehicle.

Starting with bad information yields bad results. No wonder you couldn't find what you were looking for.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

new_one said:

Let's start over.

First, the link in your original post gives the wrong information for the 2017 Sienna with 17" wheels. The stock OEM wheel is actually 17 X 7.5", not 17 X 7".

Tirerack.com shows 50 (50!!) aftermarket wheels that they guarantee will fit your vehicle.

Starting with bad information yields bad results. No wonder you couldn't find what you were looking for.
    Sienna's OEM wheel size of 17"x7" (not 17"x7.5") was given to me in Toyota's dealership.

17"x7" can also be supported by this link http://www.originalwheels.com/toyota-wheels/sienna2016rims.php
    You will not find a wheel of 7.5" width even for 18" and 19" models.

If you consider Tirerack.com as a guarantor of right fitment, they obviously do not care much of your vehicle scrub radius, as there are 13 wheel models (coming up for Sienna) with offset greater than 40mm; two of them (ENKEI CUV & X-OVER) have 45mm offset.

I can remember someone mentioned "I don't think Toyota is going to recommend a 45 mm offset, that's pretty certain."

If now we are talking of fitting only:

I noted that Tirerack.com makes you "trust" to wheel models causing up to 19.7mm backspacing measurement reduction (relatively to OEM wheel). This is valid for 5 FOCAL (F13, F14, F20), having 42mm offset and 8" width.

42 – 35 = 7mm
    8" – 7" = 1" / 2 = 25.4mm / 2 = 12.7mm
    7 + 12.7 = 19.7mm

Now put yourself into my shoes and tell me if you would need "fit-testing" before spending around 800$ on 4 aftermarket rims causing only 11.35mm of backspacing measurement reduction.

Thanks for everybody's brainstorming.

P.S. I do not mind if you slightly drift from Tirerack.com and a stock concept now in your judgment.

• Options
    Please read "backspacing measurement increase" instead of "backspacing measurement reduction" in my previous post.