Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Inspector missed damage for end of lease inspection. What do I do?

fitchcasey1fitchcasey1 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2017 in Toyota
I had my 2014 FJ cruiser inspected today via AutoVIN the company US Bank utilizes. I have a rather large scratch on my bumper and a bunch of scratches on the very top of my spoiler where my husband hit my garage door. In my opinion they are very noticeable and I fully expected to be told I needed to have them fixed, I was just waiting to see the inspection estimation to compare. Well, when I looked at my final report tonight, they are no where to be found or even mentioned on the report! Not under normal wear and tear or excessive. What do I do? Do I call US Bank or AutoVIN to question this? Or did I hit the lottery and luck out? This is my first time leasing and I honestly am not sure what to do. Thanks for any help

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331

I had my 2014 FJ cruiser inspected today via AutoVIN the company US Bank utilizes. I have a rather large scratch on my bumper and a bunch of scratches on the very top of my spoiler where my husband hit my garage door. In my opinion they are very noticeable and I fully expected to be told I needed to have them fixed, I was just waiting to see the inspection estimation to compare. Well, when I looked at my final report tonight, they are no where to be found or even mentioned on the report! Not under normal wear and tear or excessive. What do I do? Do I call US Bank or AutoVIN to question this? Or did I hit the lottery and luck out? This is my first time leasing and I honestly am not sure what to do. Thanks for any help

Why don't you just wait and see what happens?

In my experience, the charges for items like those tends to be less than the repair cost. (also, they will never tell you to have anything fixed).

Chances are, those are minor scratches, and it's just you that seems concerned. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Good advice. Just sit tight!
  • Options
    fitchcasey1fitchcasey1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you guys for your comments!
    i just would like to also provide the information that you can see the damage in the photos the inspector took. I'm so baffled as to why it isn't mentioned. I provided the photos for all to see. 
    I also would like to add in the comment section of the report it states " this report is not final. condition of the vehicle, including, but not limited to the engine, power train, frame damage, and items needing further diagnosis are subject to further investigation." Is this a blanket statement put on every report? 
    I called US Bank today and they made it seem like this is the only inspection done. Does that seem correct? 
    Thanks for any help. Sorry I'm freaking it so bad. I just am baffled! I thought inspectors were super strict. 
  • Options
    mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    fitchcasey1
    Most scratches less than a credit card are acceptable. A second inspection is often done after you return the vehicle as companies realize things happen after the inspection. I often have borderline scratches repaired by a guy I have been using for years. He is much cheaper than having it done by the leasing companies. Since you are using a bank, be careful you do not get any additional bills for the scratches. As a side note, I replaced tires on a lease return in December which was much cheaper than the inspection company/ Chrysler capital wanted to charge. I hope this helps.