Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tire Hazard Warranty

tmdoretmdore Member Posts: 8
edited February 2017 in Dodge
Can anyone please tell me how much you should pay for the tire hazard warranty? I am going to visit the dealer today to pick up my niece and I know they are going to give me a crazy number to start out with.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Generally, we recommend that you skip any extras sold by the F&I office.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tmdoretmdore Member Posts: 8
    Ok Thank you. I just figured that the tires are expensive if I had to replace them. Just out of curiosity do you know how much that warranty goes for? around?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    tmdore said:

Ok Thank you. I just figured that the tires are expensive if I had to replace them. Just out of curiosity do you know how much that warranty goes for? around?

No... except that those types of insurance policies have a high profit margin for the dealer.

Paying for insurance policies to control relatively small expenses is generally not a good deal for the consumer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Insurance is a bet...the insurance company is betting your tire won't fail and you are betting it will...given the odds of a new tire failing, it's a lousy bet for you. It's like taking out alligator insurance---yeah, it COULD happen, but.......

And then there are the "exclusions", which are tricky. For instance, you are insured against "road hazards"...BUT..... Road hazards are defined as pot holes, debris, nails, wood, and other hazards found in the road. Curbs, sidewalks, and stone walls are NOT road hazards.

So you could buy the insurance, hit a jagged curb and tear the tire, and get....nothing.