Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cadillac SRX Loss of Acceleration Problem

2»

Comments

• Options
    atlozoyaatlozoya Member Posts: 1
    My story sounds so familiar after reading all these posts. I have to say I am very dissapointed in Cadillac/GM. After researching for the last couple of days on a solution, it is sad to say the only solution is to get rid of it.
    I just posted this on cadillacforums.com yesterday :

I purchased my used SRX in May with 39,000 miles, no problems. I drive it 4 days a week about 60 miles to and from work. It now has about 56,000 miles (warranty is over). Early November I was driving home from work with cruise control on 70 mph, when I ran over a small branch. Immediately lights started flashing and the car started slowing down. I remember some of the messages/lights were "service stabilitrak", "check engine", "traction loss", "engine power cooling", "fuel saving mode". I pulled over on the side of the road and my car began shaking at this point so I turned off, stepped out and checked for smoke, flat tires. There was nothing. I turned the car back on and the check engine light was on but I drove it home anyways since I was close. The next day I drove it to my local mechanic, but before I made it there, the light turned off so I went home.

In the next 3 weeks, I had the exact same incident happen at least twice/week to/from work. Finally 2 weeks ago on my way to do some shopping, it happened twice and that was enough. I took it to the nearest Cadillac dealer and they said they would check it and give me a call. I got a rental and went home. This is what they found:

DTC - P2138 "Found accelerator position pad intermittently inop"

"Replace accelerator position pad"

Nothing else! Total was $365 labor/part

I picked it up this last Wednesday since they had to order the part. Drove it to work, home, everything was fine. Problem solved (i thought).

On Saturday I was on my way to pick up my family from the airport 2 hours away. I didn't even make it half way before the same problems came up. So again, I pulled over, turned off the car, turned it back on, kept going. After the third time it did not want to move anymore. As soon as I turned it on, it immediately began shaking, engine power loss. HORRIBLE!!!

I had to call a tow truck and just my luck the nearest cadillac dealer was a different one from the previous. They said they would check it Monday and call me back. (I'm waiting)

I called the original dealer from last week and they said "they fixed the problem they found". So i'm assuming they do not plan on giving me a refund for not fixing the actual problem.

Update: I spoke to the new dealer yesterday and he said they needed to replace the "throttle body". Luckily he said this will be covered under powertrain warranty.

However, I have decided to just trade it in for something else. I know i will lose money since I just got it in May but I can't imagine going through all this again.

I WILL NEVER BUY A CADILLAC AGAIN!!! AND I WILL NEVER LET ME FAMILY OR FRIENDS BUY ONE EITHER!!!
  • Options
    sarah5955sarah5955 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar situation. My 2010 Cadillac SRX (about 90,000 miles on it) recently died 4 times in a row on my way to work. The check engine light came on, "service stablitrak" appeared, and then "Engine power is reduced". I completely lost power on the interstate and had to coast over to the side of the road. I shut it down, and was able to restart it after a couple tries. I brought it into the dealership, and the mechanic said error codes appeared for the timing chain and throttle body. The quote for repairs is $1,900. After reading these posts, I'm concerned that these repairs aren't going to fix the loss of power issue. I'm pregnant and driving a 2 year old in this vehicle, and I want assurance that it is going to be safe to drive!!!
  • Options
    mrcoleman1314mrcoleman1314 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 srx4 and in the middle of me driving .it just lost power the dash says engine power reduced can somebody help me

• Options
    whatabitch_99whatabitch_99 Member Posts: 1
    Don't waste your time on this forum. No one is giving answers. Don't email any of the emails on this forum either; they are only there to push you to go to the dealership to drop thousands that doesn't fix the issue. The real issue is more related to the TPS, P2135, P0638,l which freaks out the ECM and causes a whole lot of other codes, like Cadillac only C0242. The TPS connector sucks and gets baked with heat, which fatigues the pins and plastic. Get a standard motor products S1057, NOT from the dealership, acdelco or any of the other places that charge 4x for the same part. What happens is that the ECM loses track of where the TPS is and instead of like Toyota, they default to limp home mode, where there should have been a redundant system to prevent such a dangerous scenario.
  • Options
    khemphillkhemphill Member Posts: 1
    I just paid a ton of money to replace the alternator on my 2007 srx. That waswas over a month ago. Now, I'm getting battery charging system errors, stabilitrack messages, engine light on, tire pressure errors etc. Parts of my body control module is burned out and a majority of my inside electrical is non functioning. I regret the day I purchased this vehicle because it's just been one headache after another
  • Options
    crystallpcrystallp Member Posts: 1
    I have also had the this problem the traction light comes on then the stability light then car turns off while driving or upon acceleration the engine reduced light comes on and  I'm stuck in the middle of traffic with my children in the car very scary ...I have called and tried to take it in to Cadillac dealership and they said they would not be able to look  at my car because its to old .....so I have tooken it to several mechanics spent a lot of money and they can not find the issue it is very frustrating because I'm a single mom and this is my only vehicle and Cadillac or Gm are not willing to look at it ...
  • Options
    maxwell18maxwell18 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same exact problems with my 2004 SRX and very frusterated. TC light and power reduced and stability control, all that. Almost got rear ended 3 times now. The vehicle is a perfect fit for my family but I'm sure there is a better fit that isn't a Cadillac with so many issues. I'm trading it in and will not be Recomending Cadilac to Anyone!
  • Options
    tierre30tierre30 Member Posts: 1
    You'll get a kick out of the reply on this one..... I have an 05 SRX. about a month ago my car just lost power driving home from work. the check engine light came on and service engine soon message appeared on screen. I took the car to my mechanic and the code was for a Throttle sensor. He changed that $400. I got the car back and a week later had the same issue. He checked it out and thought that because of the misleading codes it was the Batterie. Got it back and it broke down the next day. This time after having my car for 2 days he found out that If I drive my car for about 25 to 30 minutes it will break down. If I turn it off for a couple minutes than I could drive for a few more minutes before it happened again. the car accelerates very very very slowly but will eventually get up in speed. He could not figure out what the issue was and told me to take it to Cadillac.

I dropped my car off at The Cadillac Dealership and got a call back a few hours later. With the engine light on, loss of power, and service engine soon. They told me that my rug on the drivers side had bunched up under the gas petal and that's what the issue was.

Do not buy a Cadillac, Do not let your friends buy one. They build engines out of tin foil and rubber bands and don't know how to repair a rubberband
  • Options
    maxwell18maxwell18 Member Posts: 3
    My husband financed me a 2004 Cadillac SRX because the Chrysler he traded it for was having issues as well.and wouldnt pass emissions. The Cadillacs check engine light came on about 3 months after purchase and of course after it passed emissions and we purchased plates. There are about 25 different codes for the check engine light but along with those problems, the traction control light comes on perdy often and the power to the engine stops almost completely after jerking a awhile.I have to pull off to the side of the road and upon restarting the Cadillac it usualy fixes itself after a few tries or letting it sit 10 or 15 minutes. I have almost been rear ended several times now because of this problem, its very scarey in heavy traffic of Ft. Collins and I Pray everytime I get into the car with my grandchildren because it is my only transportation, that something doesnt happen.This problem is very dangerous and it just seems like it should be a Cadilac recall but from what Im reading and researching, Cadillac doesnt seem to be taking responsability for the problem. We have fixed several different things on it including throttle body position sensor other sensors, have had to replace the alternator and battery because there is a loss of power and other things. I will continue to read up on this problem on every web site possible in Hopes to find a fix for this obviously common but frusterating problem that GMC has left for thier customers. Please leave any helpful information and Safe driving everyone!!!
  • Options
    geoestegeoeste Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    Does anyone have a solution on the cadillac srx engine power reduce problem i need to know any info about that @gmcustsvc
  • Options
    rickcookrickcook Member Posts: 2
    I am the owner of an 05' Cadillac SRX since new. I have a lot of experience with most of the past comments noted, including it having took nearly two years and numerous dealer trips and dollars before finally resolving. Rather than post a long history, I will be happy to give feedback based on my experiences and knowledge of this car for any specific requests. All I can say it has been a great vehicle, serving us very well since new, except during the time we were experiencing engine codes and messages on Nav system saying reduced engine power or Stability system needing servicing. No question, we were very unhappy with that time frame and also often concerned over the safety issues caused when it would unpredictably go into a lymp or reduced power mode. But, the bottom line is these are and were very high tech cars for their production run, which was 2004 through 2010 for the first generation SRX models, although I have read prior that even the smaller 2nd gen SRX models have had similar issues.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2017
    There's no one solution and that's the problem. The causes can be a very long list of possibilities. Only a careful step by step diagnosis can explore the various sensors and modules and their inputs and interactions. Folks sometimes ask "Where is the Stability Control System?" Well, the answer is that there isn't one. It's no one thing or one component. It only exists as a network of things.

The reason that many owners remain frustrated with the problem is that it is often misdiagnosed or diagnosed too hastily.
  • Options
    rickcookrickcook Member Posts: 2
    I have owned an 2005 SRX with the V8 Northstar since new and can answer alot of issues from having lived through a number of the related issues. As many say, it can be a very scary AND dangerous feeling when the reduced engine power, stability track and other alert systems trigger. Many of these systems talk to each other and when one sensor, component or what have you goes bad, it can cause other system flags to set off. While each case can be somewhat different, their are typically a handful of culprits that cause them. Let me know of any specific issues and am glad to help with my past experience
  • Options
    momloves2drivemomloves2drive Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 SRX was bought last week in ohio by a good friend helping me out since I am a disabled single mom. When driving to Texas from Ohio she said the engine purred and acceleration was quick. But after putting  $2k plus into the car, spark plugs replaced, lights replaced, brakes replaced, new tires I am finding the opposite. The acceleration is awful going up hills or coming out of a stop, the car shakes when idling, the engine light is on and today it sputtered and some smells. I know there is some gunk the mechanics are cleaning out, but the acceleration problem concerns me. I have a three year old no money and disabled. I didn't realize this was a GMC product, I would have gotten the Acura. 

I saw that this may be a transmission programming issue with the acceleration, has anyone else tried that?
  • Options
    First thing that has to happen is that a good mechanic has to hook up his/her scan tool and capture some data to see what systems or circuits are not operating properly.
  • Options
    richard_dixonrichard_dixon Member Posts: 1
    We bought a used 2014 SRX with 32,000km four weeks ago and within three days the engine light came on, stabilitrac light and limp mode engaged. turning the vehicle on / off etc would not allow the car to drive normally. We took it to our dealership and they replaced the Accelerator Module apparently. A week later, the clock spring behind the Airbag failed, and the entire steering column had to come out to fix it. Yesterday, the Engine Light, stabilitrac light and limp mode came on again, so my wife drove straight to the dealership. They say that they cannot find anything wrong with the vehicle, the fault code indicates the Accelerator module but it checks out ok. Which means they haven't fixed anything, just reset the fault code. I am planning a road trip in a months time in this car, if it goes into Limp Mode again, is there anyway I can reset it myself, or will I have to find a Cadillac dealership... at the moment, I am feeling as though I may have to rent a car for the Road Trip, rather than take my own Cadillac.. Does anyone have any knowledge of this at all?
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Do you know what the actual code is? Is the dealership where you bought it at least a GM dealer where they might have more specific procedure to follow instead of just replacing a part ?
  • Options
    ccblackmanccblackman Member Posts: 1
    Car issues is very frustrating,  Being a woman in my 20's had no clue what could be the problem. I have a 2010 SRX for 2yrs now two weeks ago engine light came on dealership said replace four catalytic converters, four of them WOW! $1500 left disappointed.  Bought fuel treatment problem solved I thought decided light on again changed one converter light gone. Now acceleration problem never vibrated or died on me Thank God!! I haven't taken it to dealership yet. Want to narrow down what could be the problem. Thinking back through the yrs working on my other cars had similar issues but funny part it required different parts each time. Hope this helps. First brotherly advice buy a service manual to troubleshoot problems saved a lot of money doing it myself, which I did get my hands dirty as long as he had that orange cleaner, I was fine. He was worried about my nails than I was. Ok, 81 Pontiac (same issue as SRX) needed rebuilt transmission a lot $$$$ traded. Move to another state 4 hours away from my bro.  86 Subaru hatchback bought svc manual again this time shaking putt putt, it was a two inch hose about size of straw opening connects to engine and air valve/throttle solved it.  Thank God!! No accident.  Hesitation It was Transmission Module solved it.  95 El Dorado hubby running to different mechanics Svc manual we can fix it or narrow possibilities could be a switch from past experiences. Manual listed two issues modulator or relay switch got both, solved. Next car 2008 used Kia optima same issue as SRX it was a bad spark plug and 1 spark plug wire, got a tune-up problem fixed.  As a teen mom 71Buick had same issue as SRX it was two vacuum hoses. HOPE THIS HELPS

• Options
    jsmammkmmjsmammkmm Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2011 Srx in  for same thing and was told they could not tell me what is wrong without code. But, they did say flushing the transmission may help?  It seems that may not from what I have read on this forum 
  • Options
    patwie12patwie12 Member Posts: 2
    The 3rd time in the shop in 4 months...each time ran a scan to see what was wrong. I took it in this time for the Loss of Acceleration issue. (that was not an issue before I took it to the dealership shop the 2 times before only happened after "they fixed it" other issues) They only found it needed a software update that was released in 2004....dare I say wth....why was this not done years ago? Why was this not noticed the last 2 times in? Will this fix the Loss of Acceleration issue? $211.00 later I guess we will see if passing a car and a semi coming...will it work? or is that something I never get to do any more? I have a 2004 srx v8. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    kidrob26003kidrob26003 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I've seen a lot of post about lost of accretion I financed a 2004 Cadillac srx in may of this yr and a month after having it, it started doing this andf while in park it will rev up on its own and I can't even take it back to the dealership bc they went out of business I have a extended warranty n took it to a Cadillac dealership n it will cost 1400 n my warranty won't cover it. So can any one tell me what wrong with it or what I can do 
  • Options
    izuma28izuma28 Member Posts: 3
    Don't waste your time on this forum. No one is giving answers. Don't email any of the emails on this forum either; they are only there to push you to go to the dealership to drop thousands that doesn't fix the issue. The real issue is more related to the TPS, P2135, P0638,l which freaks out the ECM and causes a whole lot of other codes, like Cadillac only C0242. The TPS connector sucks and gets baked with heat, which fatigues the pins and plastic. Get a standard motor products S1057, NOT from the dealership, acdelco or any of the other places that charge 4x for the same part. What happens is that the ECM loses track of where the TPS is and instead of like Toyota, they default to limp home mode, where there should have been a redundant system to prevent such a dangerous scenario.

• Options
    izuma28izuma28 Member Posts: 3
    I might need your help
  • Options
    NurseMomST3NurseMomST3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone 
    I own a Cadillac SRX 2004 I am currently experiencing similar problems. I was driving then it stopped accelerating I cut the car off it starts working again. I replaced the Throttle Body I replaced one coil pack power steering done a tune up oil change everything it’s very frustrating and very dangerous. Any suggestions of what else I can do.
  • Options
    alscrimpalscrimp Member Posts: 1
    Anybody find a solution to the infamous reduced power issue?
  • Options
    There's probably no one solution as many different components could be in play here. These types of problems require a good scan tool and proper diagnosis. As you can see from some of the posts, loading the "parts cannon" and firing away is both expensive and frustrating. Working in the dark might produce results now and then, but more often than not, it fails to get to the root cause.
  • Options
    budweed69budweed69 Member Posts: 1
    had same problem a wire grounds out stop thro turn car off it works again
  • Options
    RocketRepairRocketRepair Member Posts: 3
    loss of power in 2008 Cadillac SRX.
    We have the same problem in our 2008 SRX. Freeway speeds bring a stutter (miss) and loss of power. We have taken it to local Dealer and they found a coil to be the problem. Swapped out the coil and problem happened again. They looked at it again and said they changed wrong coil and remedied the problem. Not so as problem came up again.

We lost money and faith in local dealer especially after they told us they could not guarantee fixing the problem, even though we bought car from them? We decided we were done there and took it to reputable shop. There we changed all 6 coils and plugs. NOTE: Dealer did not change plugs at Dealer 100,000 mile tune up? :angry: Local Shop also changed valve cover gasket with new updated one to prevent oil loss that Dealer could never find.

SRX seems fine for next 6 months and then missing and loss of power on freeway again. Local shop has high end $$$ engine scanner and detected that TCM and EM are not communicating. They think a new TCM Transmission Control Module is needed, will be pricey and needs to be flashed (programmed) somewhere. I will update later if we get it fixed.

BUT would love if GM could offer some direction, help, suggestions Please?
  • Options
    Well the scanner is going to be only of limited value if it's not hooked up at the time the malfunction is occurring.