Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

98 Z3 rear shock and shock mount issue

sdalegillsdalegill Member Posts: 1
edited May 2017 in BMW
Hey guys. I recently purchased a low mileage 98 Z3. It's so clean and tight and I've had a few things taking care of that makes it even more desirable to have. However I have run into an issue with changing the rear shocks and going over bumps and it blows out the shock mount above.  This is happened 3 times and I don't know where to go fo answers. It has been the same mechanic which is an authorized BMW mechanic however not at a BMW dealer. I'm afraid the cost would be terribly High. but I sure would like to know if anybody has had issues like this and what your fix was. Because this is driving me crazy.
Steve in Los Angeles

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    These Z3s have chronic issues with cracks in the differential bracket mounting and welds separating in the rear subframe area. I'm wondering if you're experiencing shifting of the entire rear suspension due to this. I would examine all the spot welds on this car. You might need to see a body shop to have this properly examined.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,568
    If it's "blowing out" the shock mount, then likely the strut tower (part of the unibody) where the shock mount is bolted into has rusted out, and you probably need some major surgery.

If the mechanic has replaced the mount three times, this should be obvious to him. As noted, this is endemic to Z3s, but also E36 and E46 3-Series. A shock mount is a piece of metal, bolted to another piece of metal (the subframe), then bolted to your shock. It's not a moving part.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator