Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Buying--Two Dealers Offering Different Deals

charlieinctcharlieinct Member Posts: 1
edited November 2017 in General
I took my current vehicle to dealer A and they quoted me an attractive price for trade-in. Unfortunately dealer A has done nothing to find me a new vehicle that has what I'm looking for.

On my own, I found a vehicle I want with the features I spec'd to dealer A at dealer B. The vehicle is a 2017 and offered with a hefty cash allowance and option package discounts putting the price below invoice. This price is available on the internet for all to see and I'm comfortable paying this price.

Problem is dealer B's valuation of my current vehicle is well below the price offered to me my dealer A.

Can I go to dealer A and ask them to honor the trade-in value and to source the vehicle I want from dealer B (they're within 50 miles of each other). If yes, should I expect to pay anything for this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You shouldn't focus on the trade value. You should focus on the out-the-door final price. If dealer A can give you the same total price as dealer B, that's all you need to know--if he can match Dealer B's deal or not.

This simplifies things--if dealer A can't step up, then Dealer B is your best deal---unless you want to try Dealer C. There is a point where you may find it's not worth it to keep traveling around to save another $100.

Working with trades is tricky. A dealer can offer you more for a trade, but take back that generosity on the new car deal; or he can offer you less trade, and make you a better deal on the new car.

It all comes down to the FINAL NUMBER. That's all that matters. How you get there is a distraction.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    @charlieinct If you have a Carmax nearby, they'll give you a cash offer for your car, and you can at least get an idea of what it's really worth.

Dealer A's offer for your car is mostly fiction, because they haven't given you a price on a new car. You can't really use that as a baseline. (unless they are willing to back that up with cash)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The only number that really matters is the "difference". If a dealer knows you are focused on getting the most for your trade they may quote you a high number and charge more for the new car.

Not all stores do dealer trades. A lot of time there is bad blood between stores and Dealer A may not do business with Dealer B.

Now, if a dealer knows he has the only car in the district that has the color and options you want he will probably refuse to trade it to ANY store knowing how people shop around.

Like the Moderators has said. just focus on the final number! This doesn't have to be hard.